Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

I hate it that I started a sugar-free diet last week, just before I was faced with free pies twice this week (on two different days).

I didn't hate the pies. They were both excellent.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The band “System of a Down”. Omg. I can’t bear to listen to anything they have. I turn down the radio anytime a song of theirs is played.

(01-16-2019, 02:24 PM)Jags Wrote: The band “System of a Down”. Omg.  I can’t bear to listen to anything they have.   I turn down the radio anytime a song of theirs is played.

I’m with you on that. Fingernails on a blackboard comes to mind.

(01-16-2019, 03:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:24 PM)Jags Wrote: The band “System of a Down”. Omg.  I can’t bear to listen to anything they have.   I turn down the radio anytime a song of theirs is played.

I’m with you on that. Fingernails on a blackboard comes to mind.

Only difference is fingernails on a chalkboard doesn’t leave me feeler like I lost a few brain cells after hearing it.

(01-07-2019, 06:09 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 11:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The game yesterday between the Colts and the Texans featured some of the most maddeningly verbose and useless color commentary I can ever remember.   Word after meaningless word.   Yesterday was the worst ever.  It's like they were being paid by the word.  "You can't have penalties like that."   No [BLEEP], Sherlock.   Penalties are bad.   Shut up!  

If the color commentators cannot shut up, I would like to have the ability to selectively shut them up.   If I could just tell my TV, I don't want to hear Booger McFarland and Jason Witten, but I would still like to hear the crowd noise and the play by play, I would pay extra for that.   I know the technology exists that would enable such a wonderful feature.   Just give us a menu, "Here are the people who are going to be talking.  Check the boxes of the ones you want to silence."  

So, here's hoping that Comcast and the NFL, together, can create a feature that one can subscribe to for $10 a month, and have it shut up Booger McFarland or Troy Aikman or any of the other maddeningly verbose commentators with their meaningless comments.  

Yes, I know I can mute the whole thing, but what would be even better is if I could mute just parts of it.  I would pay extra for that.

So, I've been thinking, and I think it's completely feasible.   

One option would be for the TV network to transmit the sound in separate layers that overlap each other, with each layer having an identifying code.  The crowd would be one layer, and each announcer would be a separate layer.  That way, any layer or layers could be switched off by the user while retaining the other layers.   So the user can say, I want to hear everything except Troy Aikman.  And when Troy Aikman is talking, then instead of hearing him, you hear everything else.  Have Troy Aikman's microphone transmit his voice with an identifying code attached to it, that allows downstream technology to either allow his voice or eliminate it.  

If the TV networks don't want to do that, the TV manufacturers could use voice recognition technology, coupled with a split-second delay for processing, and eliminate one or more of the voices.  Simply write code that says, if you recognize this voice, delete that particular voice and nothing else.  

And if the TV networks don't want to do it, then a headphone manufacturer could do it.  Just like the TV manufacturer could, use voice-recognition software and eliminate a particular voice from the sound.  

How far "upstream" this technology is implemented depends of course on how much money there is to be made on it.   The farther downstream it is, the harder it is.  The easiest thing would be for the networks to do it.  

Of course the ironic thing is, the more obnoxious and tiresome the announcers get, the more money could be made selling a system to switch them off.

I'd pay extra to never have to hear Beth Mowins voice again!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

When you eat popcorn and have that kernel stuck on the roof of your mouth.

(01-17-2019, 08:51 PM)Jags Wrote: When you eat popcorn and have that kernel stuck on the roof of your mouth.

Sheer torture!

Meetings that get scheduled at the end of the work day.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

How my wife refuses to completely remove the plastic tamper film under a lid, such as on a can of snacks or coffee. She just peels back one half for access and then puts the lid back over it when she’s done.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 09:58 AM by Jags.)

(01-19-2019, 09:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: How my wife refuses to completely remove the plastic tamper film under a lid, such as on a can of snacks or coffee. She just peels back one half for access and then puts the lid back over it when she’s done.

My wife started doing that a year or so back.  It could be worse.  She hasn’t done it to ketchup or mustard yet.  That would be a nightmare.

(01-19-2019, 09:58 AM)Jags Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 09:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: How my wife refuses to completely remove the plastic tamper film under a lid, such as on a can of snacks or coffee. She just peels back one half for access and then puts the lid back over it when she’s done.

My wife started doing that a year or so back.  It could be worse.  She hasn’t done it to ketchup or mustard yet.  That would be a nightmare.

It becomes grounds for divorce at that point.

(01-19-2019, 02:20 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 09:58 AM)Jags Wrote: My wife started doing that a year or so back.  It could be worse.  She hasn’t done it to ketchup or mustard yet.  That would be a nightmare.

It becomes grounds for divorce at that point.

Indeed.  And she’ll be leaving with half + ketchup and mustard.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 05:18 PM by Sammy.)

I could not live without mustard ... On Corndogs.

It is a bit of a trivial annoyance that the Jags board seems to lack activity. We need to all get together and fix that.

At least when there is a winter storm at my house, and I have nothing better to do.

I'm very active.

Just not here.

(01-19-2019, 05:43 PM)Rico Wrote: I'm very active.

Just not here.

But Rico ... We could make a difference, we could make it fun again. We could make The Message Board what it once was  ... MTMBGA.  We could get the gang back together. Including TMD ... How could that not bring back the glory days?

(01-19-2019, 05:15 PM)Sammy Wrote: I could not live without mustard ... On Corndogs.

It is a bit of a trivial annoyance that the Jags board seems to lack activity. We need to all get together and fix that.

At least when there is a winter storm at my house, and I have nothing better to do.

Says the guy that went AWOL for the better part of a year.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(01-19-2019, 08:05 PM)copycat Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 05:15 PM)Sammy Wrote: I could not live without mustard ... On Corndogs.

Says the guy that went AWOL for the better part of a year.

Longer than that! Lol
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-19-2019, 06:50 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 05:43 PM)Rico Wrote: I'm very active.

Just not here.

But Rico ... We could make a difference, we could make it fun again. We could make The Message Board what it once was  ... MTMBGA.  We could get the gang back together. Including TMD ... How could that not bring back the glory days?

If somebody types for me, I'll post more.

Back in the day  Cool   ... It would take me an hour or two into the work day to catch up on the board from just the overnight posting. Now it's 5 to 10 minutes ... tops.

Oh well, at least we still have a board to post on.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM by The Real Marty.)

A couple of months ago, I could do 30 legitimate push ups, but I had a little very minor shoulder injury that kept me from doing them, and now that I am fully recovered, I can barely do 10 push ups.   It's ridiculous.

It's probably because I'm getting old.   Strength goes away faster and comes back slower.