Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(09-12-2020, 04:09 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Getting stung by a wasp when you are allergic before an important weekend fixing tractors.

I got stung Thursday night while letting my dog in.  The sucker got me on the right hand (my dominant hand).  It swelled up pretty good yesterday (Friday) and increased overnight to today.  My hand/arm from my elbow to my hand is /was almost twice the normal size.  I had to get a tractor and some equipment repaired today.  I was able to do it, but it was difficult trying to use my left hand more than my right.

PSA:  If you are allergic to insect stings get an EpiPen.  That's on my list of things to do.  This was just one sting that affected me more than normal.  Should I get a few stings, especially in a critical area it would not be good.  After icing it down some this afternoon I can finally see my knuckles again.

Has your wife requested you pee on a wasp's nest?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Got up early to get ready for work after getting home late from work.

One cup of coffee down quick since I only had 4.5 hrs of sleep and then the phone rings...

Manager: You wanna just come in at 4pm today? We're over-staffed.

Me:  
Undecided

Well, at least I can watch most of the Jags game. ¯\_ツ_/¯ 

(further bright side perspective:  at least I have a temporary job after 6 months of pandemic induced unemployment)

Listening to people who are not native to Louisville trying to pronounce it like a local. If you've never lived there, just say Loo-ee-ville.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2020, 10:41 AM by The Real Marty.)

(09-24-2020, 09:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Listening to people who are not native to Louisville trying to pronounce it like a local. If you've never lived there, just say Loo-ee-ville.

In that same vein but in the opposite direction, listening to news anchors who are native Spanish speakers, who speak perfect unaccented English, suddenly revert to Spanish pronunciation.  "Thank you, Dr. John Tor-r-r-r-res."  All of a sudden in the middle of the newcast they start rolling their Rs on Spanish names.  I don't know why, but that really irritates me.

(09-24-2020, 10:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 09:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Listening to people who are not native to Louisville trying to pronounce it like a local. If you've never lived there, just say Loo-ee-ville.

In that same vein but in the opposite direction, listening to news anchors who are native Spanish speakers, who speak perfect unaccented English, suddenly revert to Spanish pronunciation.  "Thank you, Dr. John Tor-r-r-r-res."  All of a sudden in the middle of the newcast they start rolling their Rs on Spanish names.  I don't know why, but that really irritates me.

I'm the opposite, especially if it's an attractive female. Hot tamale!

My Filipino wife rolls her Rs. However, if she's doing it I need to be in another county.

(09-24-2020, 11:35 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 10:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: In that same vein but in the opposite direction, listening to news anchors who are native Spanish speakers, who speak perfect unaccented English, suddenly revert to Spanish pronunciation.  "Thank you, Dr. John Tor-r-r-r-res."  All of a sudden in the middle of the newcast they start rolling their Rs on Spanish names.  I don't know why, but that really irritates me.

I'm the opposite, especially if it's an attractive female. Hot tamale!

My Filipino wife rolls her Rs. However, if she's doing it I need to be in another county.

Novia de Fantastico up there has a great roll. It gets more pronounced when she's angry, which I kinda like.  Big Grin

(09-24-2020, 10:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

It shouldn't.  I speak the same way.  I am Hispanic and pronounce Hispanic things "properly" when I say them even though my "normal speech" is more "Floridian".  My wife even comments and kind of laughs after I get off the phone with my parents because she says that my "accent is back".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2020, 07:17 PM by Jags.)

I always thought it was Lew uh vull

At least that’s how we pronounced it when we we Yankee’s in IL

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2020, 09:57 PM by homebiscuit.)

(09-24-2020, 07:16 PM)Jags Wrote: I always thought it was Lew uh vull

At least that’s how we pronounced it when we we Yankee’s in IL

Yeah, it has to be pronounced like you have a mouth full of cotton.

I disagree.  My best friend is from Loo-uh-vul, and THAT is how he pronounced it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-27-2020, 07:40 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

I disagree.  My best friend is from Loo-uh-vul, and THAT is how he pronounced it.

You're making my point. People from Louisville pronounce it Loo-uh-vul, while those who are not from there attempt to pronounce it like a native and butcher it by saying Loo-uh-ville, or Loo-ee-vul, or some other undiscernible noise. People who aren't native should just stick to pronouncing it by spelling. Wait...then it would be Lewisville. Stoopid English language.

(09-27-2020, 10:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 07:40 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I disagree.  My best friend is from Loo-uh-vul, and THAT is how he pronounced it.

You're making my point. People from Louisville pronounce it Loo-uh-vul, while those who are not from there attempt to pronounce it like a native and butcher it by saying Loo-uh-ville, or Loo-ee-vul, or some other undiscernible noise. People who aren't native should just stick to pronouncing it by spelling. Wait...then it would be Lewisville. Stoopid English language.

That's how the city just outside of Canton is pronounced. Ohio is just horrible about alternate pronunciations (speaking of trivial annoyances)

(09-28-2020, 08:58 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 10:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: You're making my point. People from Louisville pronounce it Loo-uh-vul, while those who are not from there attempt to pronounce it like a native and butcher it by saying Loo-uh-ville, or Loo-ee-vul, or some other undiscernible noise. People who aren't native should just stick to pronouncing it by spelling. Wait...then it would be Lewisville. Stoopid English language.

That's how the city just outside of Canton is pronounced. Ohio is just horrible about alternate pronunciations (speaking of trivial annoyances)

When I was working in Tulsa, there was a small suburb called Miami.

They pronounce it Mee-am-uh.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-28-2020, 01:35 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 08:58 AM)Mikey Wrote: That's how the city just outside of Canton is pronounced. Ohio is just horrible about alternate pronunciations (speaking of trivial annoyances)

When I was working in Tulsa, there was a small suburb called Miami.

They pronounce it Mee-am-uh.
Did you get a chance to hear the dyslexic people pronounce Tulsa? I bet that was a hoot.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2020, 07:03 AM by The Real Marty.)

There are two major streets on my side of town, within a few blocks of each other, one call St. Johns Avenue and the other called San Juan Avenue.   Well, San Juan is St. John in Spanish.   It's the same name!  

Besides that, "St. Johns Avenue" is misspelled.  If what they meant was "the avenue that belongs to St. John," it would be "St. John's Avenue."  With an apostrophe.   "St. Johns River" is also misspelled.  Unless, of course, they are saying it's the river that is named after two people named St. John.  Because "St. Johns" is plural for St. John.  It is not the possessive version of "St. John."  If they want to name the river after St. John, it should be "The St. John River."

(09-29-2020, 07:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are two major streets on my side of town, within a few blocks of each other, one call St. Johns Avenue and the other called San Juan Avenue.   Well, San Juan is St. John in Spanish.   It's the same name!  

Besides that, "St. Johns Avenue" is misspelled.  If what they meant was "the avenue that belongs to St. John," it would be "St. John's Avenue."  With an apostrophe.   "St. Johns River" is also misspelled.  Unless, of course, they are saying it's the river that is named after two people named St. John.  Because "St. Johns" is plural for St. John.  It is not the possessive version of "St. John."  If they want to name the river after St. John, it should be "The St. John River."

.....or someone named Johns was canonized.

(09-29-2020, 07:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are two major streets on my side of town, within a few blocks of each other, one call St. Johns Avenue and the other called San Juan Avenue.   Well, San Juan is St. John in Spanish.   It's the same name!  

Why couldn't Johns be the name of the person it was in tribute to?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(09-29-2020, 11:42 AM)Sneakers Wrote:

Why couldn't Johns be the name of the person it was in tribute to?

If there was a saint with the last name "Johns," then sure, why not.  But there isn't.

So I spent the last 2 days trying to use my string trimmer in my yard. Trouble was, the string trimmer was using up line at an incredible rate. I kept having to pull the spool off and feed more line out. But it seemed like within a minute, the line would be half as long and within 2 minutes, the line was completely gone. I was wondering, is my line so old it just wears off really fast? This thing used to work really well. What's the deal?

Yeah, you probably already know the answer. My string trimmer had automatic line feed, and when I had put new line on it recently, I had wound the spool in the wrong direction. So instead of automatically feeding more line out every now and then, it would pull the line in. What an idiot I am.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2020, 01:01 PM by Jagwired.)

(10-09-2020, 09:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So I spent the last 2 days trying to use my string trimmer in my yard.  Trouble was, the string trimmer was using up line at an incredible rate.  I kept having to pull the spool off and feed more line out.  But it seemed like within a minute, the line would be half as long and within 2 minutes, the line was completely gone.   I was wondering, is my line so old it just wears off really fast?   This thing used to work really well.  What's the deal?  

Yeah, you probably already know the answer.   My string trimmer had automatic line feed, and when I had put new line on it recently, I had wound the spool in the wrong direction.  So instead of automatically feeding more line out every now and then, it would pull the line in.  What an idiot I am.
String trimmer? Pfffft. Real men don't use string trimmers!!

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47jecaq06o13f06fyza2...=giphy.gif]
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.