Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New "Feature": Advertisements

(08-30-2018, 05:39 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Superuser could probably address this better than I can.  I believe that the ads that appear are based on your browser and your web traffic.  As an example, I have been shopping for a new vehicle lately and the ad displayed as I type this is for a certain auto maker.

The ads are not selected by the board nor are any ads an endorsement of duvalpride.com.
To the emphasized, it is definitely this.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-30-2018, 12:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: While I understand the need for advertising and agree generally with how it's been implemented, I do object to the political ads,/banners.

Political discussion is generally forbidden on all boards except the political forum.  Anyone posting political threads in inappropriate forums could have their threads deleted and potentially receive warnings up to banishment.

However, with several advertisements of a political nature or from political websites, the rules regarding political posts ting hollow.  Furthermore, given the ads are typically from one side of the political spectrum, I am left to wonder if duvalpride.com officially endorses that viewpoint.

We use Google AdSense advertisements, so the adverts that are shown are adverts targeted for you based on the Google AdSense magic, part of which is who advert sellers indicate they want to target and how much they are willing to pay (since the highest paying advert wins).

We have previously blacklisted specific adverts based on malware or deceptive advertising concerns (aka a big fake download button) but it has been quite a while since any of that has been reviewed. To be honest, I hadn't considered that we are in a political season and that would cause offense.

That being said, I don't know if your comment about the leaning of the adverts (I haven't looked at the data, so I have no idea which direction it could be) is based out of a misunderstanding on how web banner advert systems work or if there is some other motive, but I would hope that one would give us (me?) the benefit of the doubt vs jumping directly to the charged statements.

Some more info on how it works: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/9713?hl=enhttps://www.webnots.com/how-google-adsense-works/

I will review the recently displayed adverts and see what can be done.
I am r00t. I am r00t? I AM r00t.

Odd, I've never seen a political ad on here. It's all "Meet Russian Ladies" and Coors Light banners for some reason.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

On previous sites I have managed that run advertisements, political adverts (during the political season) pay considerably more per page view (called CPM (cost per 1000 views) and CPC (cost per click) than other adverts, so they can often be a considerable source of revenue for a site. 

TV networks make quite a bit more money during the political seasons since every campaign and cause is willing to pay more and more to get their advert better placement.

The same is true for website display adverts, except advert publishers can get very targeted in their advert buying: car companies will want to show their adverts to people who have recently searched for or been on car buying related sites. Since it's automated, Ford may put a max spend of $.10 on a banner advert and Chevy may set a max spend of $.15; this will result in the Chevy advert being displayed (it is, of course, quite a bit more than that, as 'publishers' can target against browsing history (was the person recently on a Chevy dealer website? Then Ford may be willing to pay a bit extra), time of day, content on the web site that would show the advert, etc..)

I am turning off "Political" adverts. While the $ aspect of the adverts don't matter at all, I was actually surprised how few political adverts are shown on the site.  
In the interest of transparency and curiosity, this is a screenshot of the "Sensitive categories" list with their impression %. Note that I have the "Downloadable utilities" category disabled, since they are stupid (even though, at one point, they made up a double-digit % of earnings since malware is pretty profitable...)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=79]

The most profitable category, by the way? It's "Computers & Consumer Electronics" with 16% of the earnings.
The category with the most impressions is "Business & Industrial", with 12.9% of the views; The sub-category of that with the most is "Building Construction & Maintenance" with 2.4% of the views across all other categories.

Since the political category is now blocked, provided that the advertisement publishers properly categorize their adverts, we shouldn't see any more political adverts on the site.
Please let me know if the real world does not reflect this.

Attached Files
.png   Selection_2018-08-30_22:08:04.png (Size: 75.42 KB / Downloads: 58)

(08-30-2018, 01:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 12:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: While I understand the need for advertising and agree generally with how it's been implemented, I do object to the political ads,/banners.

Political discussion is generally forbidden on all boards except the political forum.  Anyone posting political threads in inappropriate forums could have their threads deleted and potentially receive warnings up to banishment.

However, with several advertisements of a political nature or from political websites, the rules regarding political posts ting hollow.  Furthermore, given the ads are typically from one side of the political spectrum, I am left to wonder if duvalpride.com officially endorses that viewpoint.

Interesting. I'm never aware of ad content here.  I leave that to those wiser than I technically. 

For whatever reason, I get zero ads here when using the chrome browser and the "Legacy Jungle" setting of the board.  Perhaps that will work for you.

I even shut off my ad blocker for the site, and get nothing. Sorry, admins, I'm trying to help keep the board afloat!

Anything I can do to help the site?

(09-07-2018, 04:07 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Anything I can do to help the site?

Tell everyone that will listen how awesome the place is! Have an interesting topic? Post about it and link to it via any other social networks you use!

The site will get better as more people join in and hopefully the excitement for the season will being more spirited conversation.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021, 09:06 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

Resurrecting this thread.

Has anyone else started seeing drop down banner ads on this site while using a phone? Mine started this morning and it’s very annoying. Every time I go to a new page a banner ad drops down with a tab to minimize it, which is required because it blocks the top of the page. The tab is constantly visible. Is there any way to block this?

(09-11-2021, 09:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Resurrecting this thread.

Has anyone else started seeing drop down banner ads on this site while using a phone? Mine started this morning and it’s very annoying. Every time I go to a new page a banner ad drops down with a tab to minimize it, which is required because it blocks the top of the page. The tab is constantly visible. Is there any way to block this?

Yeah, I'm using my tablet and see them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Question

Is there a way to setup notifcations on your account to see when someone replys to you?

(09-27-2021, 03:48 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: Question

Is there a way to setup notifcations on your account to see when someone replys to you?

Probably not. This board version stinks.

(09-27-2021, 10:37 PM)YouMadThough Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 03:48 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: Question

Probably not. This board version stinks.

You must have 2 accounts.  Because the question you’re answering (and presumably asking) has a clear answer.   Which also shows just how ignorant you and this other you are.  Carry on my wayward troll.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 10:16 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

This drop down banner ad is appearing again when using my phone. Anyone else seeing it?

I'm also seeing it on my iPad.

(01-10-2022, 08:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

This drop down banner ad is appearing again when using my phone. Anyone else seeing it?

Yep.   I logged off and before I did, I caught another.  Went back to this topic to post About it.  But see you’ve beat me to it.  

I won’t complain, but it is a bit more “intrusive” as it used to be.

(01-10-2022, 09:01 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 08:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This drop down banner ad is appearing again when using my phone. Anyone else seeing it?

Yep.   I logged off and before I did, I caught another.  Went back to this topic to post About it.  But see you’ve beat me to it.  

I won’t complain, but it is a bit more “intrusive” as it used to be.

Someone made them go away before. Hopefully they will do so again. It’s pretty annoying.

Thank you to whoever is making the drop down banner ads go away.

People complaining about this version probably forgot the Times Union Board..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Ummm… anyone getting some “risqué” ads here lately? I understand some ads are based on search or words/context on a page…. But I’ve never searched for or talked about/thought about what I’ve seen twice now. I don’t even wanna say what it is. But I guaran-damn-tee it’s not because of any collected data from my side.

(08-15-2022, 05:41 PM)Jags Wrote: Ummm… anyone getting some “risqué” ads here lately?  I understand some ads are based on search or words/context on a page…. But I’ve never searched for or talked about/thought about what I’ve seen twice now.  I don’t even wanna say what it is.  But I guaran-damn-tee it’s not because of any collected data from my side.

Same here with ads by “Whispers” showing two guys rubbing on each other. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I would rather not see it. 

Can anything be done about it?

(08-19-2022, 10:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-15-2022, 05:41 PM)Jags Wrote: Ummm… anyone getting some “risqué” ads here lately?  I understand some ads are based on search or words/context on a page…. But I’ve never searched for or talked about/thought about what I’ve seen twice now.  I don’t even wanna say what it is.  But I guaran-damn-tee it’s not because of any collected data from my side.

Same here with ads by “Whispers” showing two guys rubbing on each other. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I would rather not see it. 

Can anything be done about it?

Quit visiting "DuvalPride.com"? The algorithm is confused..