Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who will start September 10th?
This poll is closed.
Albert/Cann/Shatley/Linder/Parnell
2.04%
2 2.04%
Albert/Omameh/Linder/Cann/Parnell
4.08%
4 4.08%
Albert/Cann/Linder/Robinson/Parnell
6.12%
6 6.12%
Albert/Linder/Shatley/Parnell/Robinson
1.02%
1 1.02%
Robinson/Cann/Linder/Watford/Parnell
24.49%
24 24.49%
Albert/Watford/Linder/Cann/Parnell
3.06%
3 3.06%
Albert/Shatley/Linder/Cann/Parnell
1.02%
1 1.02%
Albert/Robinson/Linder/Cann/Parnell
46.94%
46 46.94%
Albert/Cann/Linder/Omameh/Robinson
11.22%
11 11.22%
Total 98 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Guess The Starting O-Line

I'm starting to think we might cut Parnell and start either Wells or Poutasi at RT. That said, I'll keep Parnell as the starting spot for now considering how much he's getting paid. So, I'll say...

Robinson, Omameh, Linder, Cann, Parnell.

For depth I'll go with Wells, Bowanko, Watford and Poutasi.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-31-2017, 11:56 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm starting to think we might cut Parnell ...

So the team is now short an OT to unexpected retirement and you want to cut an OT??

Cry

I don't get it.

(07-31-2017, 12:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 11:56 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm starting to think we might cut Parnell ...

So the team is now short an OT to unexpected retirement and you want to cut an OT??

Cry

I don't get it.

If Parnell fails to start, I don't think they his salary to be a backup.
'02

Parnell isn't going anywhere. If I had to guess Reed and Wells will be gone for sure. Starting line may be Robinson/Omameh/Linder/Bawanko/Parnell. With the team wanting to be more physical in the run game but still holding up in pass pro, Cann most likely will get knocked down the depth chart. He is barely average at best. Honestly, the guard positions are still anyone's guess and something to watch in camp.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-31-2017, 12:10 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 12:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: So the team is now short an OT to unexpected retirement and you want to cut an OT??

Cry

I don't get it.

If Parnell fails to start, I don't think they his salary to be a backup.

Nah. They just saved around 8 or 9 million when Albert called it quits. They don't care about Parnell getting 6.5 million this year even if he's unexpectedly edged out of his starting spot.  They don't exactly have a wealth of options and they'll need at least some sort of proven depth. 

I'd bet the farm he ends up starting at RT anyway.

(07-31-2017, 12:12 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Parnell isn't going anywhere. If I had to guess Reed and Wells will be gone for sure. Starting line may be Robinson/Omameh/Linder/Bawanko/Parnell.  With the team wanting to be more physical in the run game but still holding up in pass pro, Cann most likely will get knocked down the depth chart. He is barely average at best. Honestly, the guard positions are still anyone's guess and something to watch in camp.

They would have to start giving Bowanko reps at Guard for that to happen. I don't believe he's even been given that opportunity this offseason and im not sure why.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(07-31-2017, 12:23 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 12:12 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Parnell isn't going anywhere. If I had to guess Reed and Wells will be gone for sure. Starting line may be Robinson/Omameh/Linder/Bawanko/Parnell.  With the team wanting to be more physical in the run game but still holding up in pass pro, Cann most likely will get knocked down the depth chart. He is barely average at best. Honestly, the guard positions are still anyone's guess and something to watch in camp.

They would have to start giving Bowanko reps at Guard for that to happen. I don't believe he's even been given that opportunity this offseason and im not sure why.

If Bowanko is one of the starting five, then it's probably him at center and Linder at RG.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017, 12:39 PM by Jest101.)

Robinson|someone not good enough to be an NFL starter|Linder|Cann|Parnell

Here's the bottom line:  this OL will absolutely not be improved from last year.

But, they just gave Linder Center money.
[Image: giphy.gif]

The most overlooked part of this is that we don't know who and at what position even a single starter will be playing in five weeks when prepping for the Texans. It's usually rough if you have one or two position battles on the line during camp, but the only for sure starters we have are Linder and Robinson and they may not even be playing at the position they'll be at during week one.

This team has wet the bed on offensive line for over a decade... Coincidentally we haven't been good during that same stretch. We have only drafted 9 offensive linemen in the first 4 rounds since Tom Coughlin was head coach. Only 3 of those are on the team, including Cam Robinson. The only good offensive linemen that we've drafted were Vince Manuwai and Brandon Linder. Khalif Barnes, Eugene Monroe, and Uche Nwaneri were serviceable. The rest have been average at best on a good day.

It really is time to get serious about offensive line if we want to be a good team.

With no O-line and Bortles at QB, Fournette will avg 3.5 ypc, trying to run through a brick wall. Then he'll get injured towards the last quarter of the season.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017, 01:30 PM by B2hibry.)

(07-31-2017, 12:28 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 12:23 PM)knarnn Wrote: They would have to start giving Bowanko reps at Guard for that to happen. I don't believe he's even been given that opportunity this offseason and im not sure why.

If Bowanko is one of the starting five, then it's probably him at center and Linder at RG.

Not after Linder got big center money! Probably not a lot of folks remember how well Bow played at guard the few times he filled in. He even came in a few times last year on heavy run packages. He is a stout run blocker. He just happens to be a good backup center as well. I guess we'll see how things play out but they need to have the best five out there and I think Bow is one of them.

(07-31-2017, 01:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 12:28 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Not after Linder got big center money! Probably not a lot of folks remember how well Bow played at guard the few times he filled in. He even came in a few times last year on heavy run packages. He is a stout run blocker. He just happens to be a good backup center as well. I guess we'll see how things play out but they need to have the best five out there and I think Bow is one of them.

The money doesn't matter.  There's a guard in Oakland making $58 million.  Just get the best five guys situated in the spots they'll work best together.  Doesn't matter if your RG is making more than your LT, and your back-up tackle is making more than your starting center.  Who cares? 

If they need Linder at guard, they'll put him there. (still unlikely IMO) 

I do hope that Bowanko gets some looks at guard, though. It makes sense to me.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017, 01:50 PM by rfc17.)

I could be way off on this but I feel good about Bow getting reps. Agile guy who has some put on some weight. Was a serviceable player when he did play. And I have a feeling Coughlin and Marrone can coach him into being even better.

Back when Coughlin was the coach, I used to complain on these boards about our oline never being good enough. I always felt like they didnt focus on getting great lineman as much as they should, but now looking back in hindsight, the olines were never bad. And he seemed to be able to take players I had never really heard of and make them solid players. I think the same could be true of Bow.

And in my mind Oline play is a lot like rebounding in basketball. Desire, hustle, and attitude is far more important than raw ability. Give me an olineman who has average size and athletic ability, but give him a mean streak and a desire to punish whoever he is blocking and he'll be a good player.

With all the reps Shatley has been getting at LG, it's currently looking like we'll be seeing:

Cam Robinson / Tyler Shatley / Brandon Linder / AJ Cann / Jeremy Parnell

Cann and Shatley are clearly the guys that will really have to earn their spots with Omameh, Watford, and hopefully Bowanko in the mix.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM by knarnn.)

(07-31-2017, 01:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: With all the reps Shatley has been getting at LG, it's currently looking like we'll be seeing:

Cam Robinson / Tyler Shatley / Brandon Linder / AJ Cann / Jeremy Parnell

Cann and Shatley are clearly the guys that will really have to earn their spots with Omameh, Watford, and hopefully Bowanko in the mix.

Those guard positions are definitely fluid.

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]John Oehser @JohnOehser

[/font]

3.Looks like Patrick Omameh getting work with first team at left guard after Tyler Shatley worked there on first three days. #Jaguars
11:35 AM · Jul 31, 2017

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]Mike Kaye @mike_e_kaye

[/font]

Marrone says he doesn't want to hand Cam Robinson the LT job. Brings up Wells and Omameh as potential competition.#Jaguars
1:15 PM · Jul 31, 2017 from Florida, USA
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017, 02:15 PM by B2hibry.)

Shatley starting to get bumped down already but dang if Wells belongs at LT! He has played well at times but gives me the Joeckel vibe; not consistent. I also can't imagine Cann sticking at RG. He was not good last year. I'm sure we'll have a better idea by weeks end, but get Bow in the mix dangit!

(07-31-2017, 01:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 01:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Not after Linder got big center money! Probably not a lot of folks remember how well Bow played at guard the few times he filled in. He even came in a few times last year on heavy run packages. He is a stout run blocker. He just happens to be a good backup center as well. I guess we'll see how things play out but they need to have the best five out there and I think Bow is one of them.

The money doesn't matter.  There's a guard in Oakland making $58 million.  Just get the best five guys situated in the spots they'll work best together.  Doesn't matter if your RG is making more than your LT, and your back-up tackle is making more than your starting center.  Who cares? 

If they need Linder at guard, they'll put him there. (still unlikely IMO) 

I do hope that Bowanko gets some looks at guard, though. It makes sense to me.
I get what you're saying and how you interpreted what I wrote but I'm sure they gave Linder that money because they felt he was best at that position first and foremost. I'm sure flexibility across the line didn't hurt. Would be nice to at least have a few solidified positions.

Through two days of 1-on-1 drills in pads, #Jaguars OL lead 22-12 over DL.

Per Ryan O.

Wow, so much desperation around here.

This team may not have the best O-Line, but there are capable guards in this group. Ohmemeh, Bowanko and Cann are guys worth starting

Parnell is not a bad player at all. the hatred for Parnell. His PFF grade border between Average and Above Average but never worse and his strength is in run blocking, which should be showcased with added emphasis on the run game this season.

I think you need to add Clady or Howard (sorry they are the only names I know) but the situation will not be improved overnight unless they decide to trade away significant draft picks for a starter

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017, 03:40 PM by FreeAgent01.)

That is pretty awful. The equivalent of 12 pressures or worse on 34 snaps. Or 1 in less than every 3 drop backs.