Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So What Positions Will You Scout this fall?

(07-24-2017, 11:45 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 11:45 AM)David4499 Wrote: This team has to find a legitimate QB that doesn't turn the ball over. Bortles is not the answer. I would be ok with Henne starting the season. Bortles has done nothing to prove to me that he deserves to be under center. Play Bortles... go 6-10 if you're lucky... Play Henne... go 8-8.

Henne has 27 TDs and 26 Ints with the Jags and 58 TDs and 63 Ints in his career.

Conversely, Bortles has 69 TDs and 51 Ints with the Jags with 23 TDs and 16 Ints last year.

Bortles has had far better receivers than Henne ever had.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-24-2017, 12:09 PM)David4499 Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 11:45 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Henne has 27 TDs and 26 Ints with the Jags and 58 TDs and 63 Ints in his career.

Conversely, Bortles has 69 TDs and 51 Ints with the Jags with 23 TDs and 16 Ints last year.

Bortles has had far better receivers than Henne ever had.

hahahaha.... as if that excuses throwing it to the wrong team

(07-24-2017, 01:47 PM)Kane Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 12:09 PM)David4499 Wrote: Bortles has had far better receivers than Henne ever had.

hahahaha.... as if that excuses throwing it to the wrong team

Whats Blake's excuse for all the Pick 6's? He has way more than Chad and way more than the majority of the league.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(07-24-2017, 02:46 PM)David4499 Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 01:47 PM)Kane Wrote: hahahaha.... as if that excuses throwing it to the wrong team

Whats Blake's excuse for all the Pick 6's? He has way more than Chad and way more than the majority of the league.

No excuse... bone headed plays deserve no excuse.

(07-24-2017, 02:46 PM)David4499 Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 01:47 PM)Kane Wrote: hahahaha.... as if that excuses throwing it to the wrong team

No excuses.

I think sometimes he tries to do too much.

I think sometimes he HAS to try too much because he plays from behind.

I think whether he is trying too much or not, sometimes he just makes bad decisions.

We will never know how much blame the receivers deserve on some of those picks, if any.

One thing I CAN say is the "young QB" explanation no longer holds.  He's coming into his 4th year.

Another thing you can't argue is the lack of an adequate supporting cast.  Maybe you can argue no good pass receiving TE.  Maybe you can argue an iffy OL-though with the additions of Albert and Robinson, the OL should be deeper and more talented than we've had in a while.

Bortles has to perform as he did the last two weeks of last year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Obviously QB is the #1 position, but I'll also be looking closely at LT and LB.

(07-31-2017, 06:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Obviously QB is the #1 position, but I'll also be looking closely at LT and LB.

So you don't think Cam Robinson will be any good... or.....?

And at LB... we might need some depth, but I feel really good about Smith, Jack, and Blair Brown for the future.

(08-01-2017, 02:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 06:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Obviously QB is the #1 position, but I'll also be looking closely at LT and LB.

So you don't think Cam Robinson will be any good... or.....?

And at LB... we might need some depth, but I feel really good about Smith, Jack, and Blair Brown for the future.

Not at LT. I saw Robinson as a pure RT when I scouted him and my opinion hasn't changed. I believe he lacks the footwork to play on the blindside. I see him as Parnell's eventual replacement.

LB probably needs an upgrade as well or at least some depth. I wanna see how Jack does at MLB and I'd like to know what our future plans are for Telvin Smith. I also wanna see how Blair Brown does, because Posluszny is getting older and he isn't the most athletic guy in the world. I prefer younger, more athletic linebackers, so I will keep an eye on the linebacker position as well.

(08-02-2017, 10:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 02:00 PM)Kane Wrote: So you don't think Cam Robinson will be any good... or.....?

Not at LT. I saw Robinson as a pure RT when I scouted him and my opinion hasn't changed. I believe he lacks the footwork to play on the blindside. I see him as Parnell's eventual replacement.

LB probably needs an upgrade as well or at least some depth. I wanna see how Jack does at MLB and I'd like to know what our future plans are for Telvin Smith. I also wanna see how Blair Brown does, because Posluszny is getting older and he isn't the most athletic guy in the world. I prefer younger, more athletic linebackers, so I will keep an eye on the linebacker position as well.

Weird that Doug Marrone, an Oline guy, sees Robinson as a pure LT.

- shrug -

I guess we'll see.

I still think this teams number one scouting area is QB (unless Bortles [or Allen] surprises this season)
I do think we'll still be needing some Oline pieces. But won't really know until we see how these guys play out.

You can almost guarantee though they are going to give Robinson more than his rookie season before yanking him and drafting a high pick LT.

(06-25-2017, 03:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: If you are like me, one of the things I like to do is identify the potential team weaknesses and focus on those positions in the college game in the fall.  However, I think despite the record, as a whole Caldwell and company have adequately stocked the roster with talent such that there doesn't appear to be many glaring holes upon which to focus. 

Assuming this to be true, will you just watch college football generally, focus on QB until Bortles shows himself to be the guy, or are there particular positions other than QB on which you will place your focus?

For me, even though the positions seem well stocked for now, I think WR and LB will be my focus this fall.  

My focus on WR is not an indictment on the position now.  I think Robinson, Lee, Hurns, Benn and Westbrook are all capable receivers.  But the position, on a long term basis, is far from stable.

While Hurns has been signed to a contract extension, Robinson and Lee are slated to be free agents at the end of this season.  It's not out of the realm of possibility both could be re-signed, I could see  a scenario where one or both could leave.  If Robinson leaves, that would leave the Jaguars without a definite #1 WR.  If Lee departs, I don't know if the Jaguars would be left with a reliable deep threat.  Westbrook can get deep, but with his off field issues, there is no telling how long he can avoid staying out of the doghouse of strict disciplinarians Doug Marrone and Tom Coughlin.  A worst case scenario could leave the Jaguars with only Hurns.  I like Hurns, but that is in no way acceptable for a team that has been so devoid of quality WR play for so long.

Linebacker presents different issues.  Jack, for the moment seems to be a longer term solution at one of the three positions, the other two are questionable.  Telvin Smith has made some plays for the Jaguars, but he is slated to be a free agent at the end of the year.  Paul Poszlusny, a career ILB/MLB, is moving to SAM this year.  Age concerns aside, I'm left to wonder how he can adjust to the switch.  He is adept in zone, but can he run with a TE down the seam?  What if he gets isolated on a speedy RB on a wheel route?  I think contract, age and speed concerns mandate LB be a primary focus.

As always, your thoughts are welcome.

What a difference a preseason makes!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Offense:
QB
G
T
TE
WR (probably free agents)

Defense:
CB
LB