Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why So Difficult?

Because humans are creatures of habit and it becomes very difficult to break a cycle if you keep at it long enough. Also genetics come into it too. I'm fairly physically fit and eat well but have a horribly sweet tooth and no matter how hard I try I find it near impossible to avoid binging on sweet food if its in the house. Every now and again my mother sends brownies over and everytime I end up eating the entire batch in the space of a few hours.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-31-2017, 09:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: Because humans are creatures of habit and it becomes very difficult to break a cycle if you keep at it long enough. Also genetics come into it too. I'm fairly physically fit and eat well but have a horribly sweet tooth and no matter how hard I try I find it near impossible to avoid binging on sweet food if its in the house. Every now and again my mother sends brownies over and everytime I end up eating the entire batch in the space of a few hours.
That's just normal, dude

(07-31-2017, 09:47 PM)Jags Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 09:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: Because humans are creatures of habit and it becomes very difficult to break a cycle if you keep at it long enough. Also genetics come into it too. I'm fairly physically fit and eat well but have a horribly sweet tooth and no matter how hard I try I find it near impossible to avoid binging on sweet food if its in the house. Every now and again my mother sends brownies over and everytime I end up eating the entire batch in the space of a few hours.
That's just normal, dude

Yep. My point is its pretty hard to stop doing something even if you have every intention not to

3 years ago, I started gaining weight. I was 6'1", and weighed about 220. Inexplicably, I started gaining weight and got all the way to 269. I went into the ER, and was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer. After my treatment started, I dropped all the way down to 170. Now, I hold a steady weight of 200 to 205. Today I weighed in at 202. My disease had everything to do with my weight gain.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(08-05-2017, 03:46 PM)Dakota Wrote: 3 years ago, I started gaining weight. I was 6'1", and weighed about 220. Inexplicably, I started gaining weight and got all the way to 269. I went into the ER, and was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer. After my treatment started, I dropped all the way down to 170. Now, I hold a steady weight of 200 to 205. Today I weighed in at 202. My disease had everything to do with my weight gain.

My mother was always very thin and fit until she was hit with multiple diseases diabetes, thyroid, hypertension and the list goes on...One medication made her lose weight, another made her gain weight, which made her diabetes harder to effectively treat so her medications were changed frequently and when one medicine was changed, they all had to be changed...she would lose 4 or 5 pounds one week and gain it all back the following week or visa versa...sometimes she would gain multiple weeks, and lose very little in following weeks...She ended up on kidney dialysis taking off a lot of water weight as her kidneys were not filtering properly...She had count every ounce of fluid she ate or drank...anything that would turn into a fluid when digested was counted as fluids, and she was only allowed 8oz of liquids per day...Then she developed a blood clot from dialysis and had a massive stroke and died...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017, 05:54 PM by wrong_box.)

I've been thinking about all the posts in this thread...Some have never had to try to lose weight and think it's just a matter of changing your diet, which generally is the cure, however it's still very difficult after weight is put on to get it off...Diet and exercise is the accepted way to lose weight, but it's still very slow to come off...There have been a lot of very good answers in this thread but still there is no quick way to take the weight off in short order...

I have been watching, asking, and listening to people with the same problem and most of the answers are the same...One thing I noticed about myself is this...While mostly eating the right foods, and drinking the right drinks, and some exercising, I think a lot of my problem is that I don't just eat until I'm not hungry anymore, I find that I eat until I'm full and don't feel like I can take another bite... Having been through the nutritionist demonstrations when I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, one of the first things she told me was a diabetic should eat 4 smaller meals daily with snack a couple hours or so after the last meal...The meals should contain portions of about a 1/2 cup of the side dishes ( veggies and such ) and a couple ounces of meat...I tried hard to do that but 1/2 cup is only about what you can hold in the palm of your hand and at the end of each meal I was still hungry, therefore I was hungry all the time...

I do eat the right things for the most part, but I just can't go through the day hungry, and then go to bed hungry as well...When I am still hungry after I finish eating, by the time the next meal time comes around, I'm so hungry I start to feel sick, so I eat more than I should...Even though what I'm eating is healthy, I'm eating too much, but i can't see any benefit to being hungry after each meal..That in itself can't be healthy

I should also mention my dietitian says I should eat a 2000 calorie diet and my carbohydrate intake should only be half my protein intake