Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Just told I have cancer.

(09-09-2017, 11:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 07:09 AM)Jags02 Wrote: So I've had an interesting development. I'm not sure what to do about this exactly, but with it being the weekend there's not too much I can do. My drain has apparently clogged up at the opening, or has somehow detached inside, so that nothing is emptying into the bag, however, that's not to say stuff isn't draining. I woke up with my T-shirt drenched from liquid forcing its way out the side of the tube that's in me.

I've managed to take the soaked padding and tape off of the tube where it enters me and replaced it with fresh gauze to maybe soak up stuff, but I don't know what I'm in for now. I'm fairly sure only my actual surgeon would be able to do anything about the drain as, aside from the suction bag, it's just a tube that goes a ways inside me. I figure if I called anyone they would only tell me to go to the IR where I'd have to wait 4 to 6 hours for a doctor to only be able to re-do my dressing while charging me $800. 

I just had a surgery that required two drains and my experience was similar. Just keep the padding as fresh as you can. 

If you're worried about it, your post-op instructions should have a number to call, even during the weekend you can get somebody. If not, call your GP's exchange and talk to a regular doctor. They'll know what to do or if you need to worry.

I keep being told this. At some point, I'll have to locate those post-op instructions.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-09-2017, 06:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 11:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I just had a surgery that required two drains and my experience was similar. Just keep the padding as fresh as you can. 

If you're worried about it, your post-op instructions should have a number to call, even during the weekend you can get somebody. If not, call your GP's exchange and talk to a regular doctor. They'll know what to do or if you need to worry.

I keep being told this. At some point, I'll have to locate those post-op instructions.

Just call the surgeons office number then. They should have someone on the exchange. I had to do the same thing.

(09-10-2017, 07:49 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 06:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I keep being told this. At some point, I'll have to locate those post-op instructions.

Just call the surgeons office number then. They should have someone on the exchange. I had to do the same thing.

I did and just got back from getting it fixed up and the clogs removed. It's just I had to wait until this morning to do all that.
'02

So sorry as will be in though and prayer for you. As really know the feeling as had an aunt die from it. And a brother and brother in law that both beat it. So you are not alone in this. Keep in my friend.
Ready for April Showers, Easter, Spring Fever!

Just found this thread. Damn 02, I’m sorry to hear this. I’m not the most prolific poster on here, but I’ve been a member since ‘05 under one name or another.

Always appreciated your insight whether I agreed with the underlying opinion or not. And even more so the class with which you conduct yourself. I’ve never met you, but all signs point to you being a very good and valuable human being. Finding this thread actually made me tear up a bit.

I’ve lost several loved ones to cancer. I’ve also been with a couple people through their successful fight to overcome it.

I’m not a religious man so I won’t say “my prayers are with you” but I’m rooting for you and extend the human compassion and love we all should share and deserve. You deserve it.

Best of luck buddy, I sincerely hope you beat it like the Jags secondary beat Big Ben.

(09-09-2017, 06:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 11:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I just had a surgery that required two drains and my experience was similar. Just keep the padding as fresh as you can. 

If you ever get the drain thing again just use alcohol pads on the outside while holding the bottom of the tube (i.e. the part closest to you) to milk the clots forward. I hope this all was resolved easily at the office. Will send prayers.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(07-28-2017, 08:25 AM)FBT Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: My wife is saying "softball" sized is more accurate.

I don't want to lose my hair. They need to figure out a way to treat me where I can keep my hair. I'm ghastly enough as it is.

Hair grows back.  If losing it means living, take it all off and buy some cool hats.  Cancer isn't for vanity.  Do what you need to to fight this thing.

I second this.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I'm late to this but I'm praying for you. Have you thought about setting up a GoFundMe if you still need help? Not sure how much you'd get but any little bit helps.

As you know, I am also a stage 4 cancer patient. If there is anything I can do for you, from medical advice, or just a shoulder to lean on, don't hesitate to contact me. Just PM me, and I'll give you my phone number.

You are in my prayers, my friend.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Keep your head up, rooting for you!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman