Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Just told I have cancer.

Damn. Keep your spirits up, mental toughness for what's ahead matters a great deal.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-27-2017, 06:51 PM)PF* Wrote: You're not THAT ghastly. When I met you in Oregon a few years ago, you seemed fairly normal, at least until we drank all those beers at that festival. Seriously though, I hope you get treatment immediately and lick this thing.

Thanks PF ...but now picture me without hair.

(07-27-2017, 05:12 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: My wife is saying "softball" sized is more accurate.

I don't want to lose my hair. They need to figure out a way to treat me where I can keep my hair. I'm ghastly enough as it is.

Dude.  Losing your hair is the last thing that you should worry about.  Seriously.  It grows back eventually.

You need to put it in your mind right now (and truly believe it) that you are going to beat this thing.

My sister, who I admire tremendously had to go through chemo years ago and lost her hair.  She flew down her to Florida just to "get away" from everybody else when her hair was about the equivalent of a "crew cut" (even shorter).

She refused to wear a wig or a hat to conceal it in any way, and part of that was so that she could make people aware.  She went out in public with us and endured "the looks" because of her appearance and wore it like a badge.

She won the battle and eventually became a nurse (RN) and specifically devoted her time to treating cancer patients, especially children.

I guess my point is that she was always optimistic about things and accepted what happened to her physically (look wise) and never let it get her down.

If/when you lose your hair, that's just a very minor issue.

I hear you, and if ultimately I must lose it to live, I'm not to be stupid. ...but you bet I'm going to at least see if there are alternatives to losing one's hair nowadays.
'02

(07-27-2017, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 03:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Baseball sized cyst?  Dude...

I hope everything works out for you.  Treatment for cancer has gotten better over the years, but it's still not an easy thing to go through.  I hope and wish nothing but the best for you.

My wife is saying "softball" sized is more accurate.

I don't want to lose my hair. They need to figure out a way to treat me where I can keep my hair. I'm ghastly enough as it is.

Hair grows back.  If losing it means living, take it all off and buy some cool hats. Cancer isn't for vanity. Do what you need to to fight this thing.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(07-28-2017, 08:25 AM)FBT Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: My wife is saying "softball" sized is more accurate.

Hair grows back.  If losing it means living, take it all off and buy some cool hats.  Cancer isn't for vanity.  Do what you need to to fight this thing.

I agree, just have to let it go for now so you can have it back later.

Jags02, you're great to have around here so I hope you won't hold any treatment back in getting well.

Sorry to hear this, cancer sucks and I've had way to many friends and family (and extended forum family, i.e. Dakota) have to fight this fight. Wish you all the best, do what you need to do to battle this thing and get the W.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I'll keep you in my thoughts,and prayers.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Hang in there. Wishing you the best.

Seriously, don't even worry about the hair dude. It'll grow back. In the meantime, enjoy the time saved by not having to comb/style it and shampooing is so much faster.

Jags02, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope each day will bring you closer to a complete recovery.

Thanks for the support.

I still hadn't heard a peep since being told the news, so I finally made some calls and got a hold of the office for the surgeon. It looks like he's set to review referrals in the morning, and will decide his upcoming schedule which has me thinking I should have a call soon to schedule the surgery. Someone told me that because it's so big... one doctor measured it at 11cm across... they might want me to go on chemo to shrink it before even trying to remove it. I've also been told to insist on the local oncology center as opposed to having them assign me some oncologist who would require me to travel.
'02

I had a tumor removed a few years back. I asked for the best surgeon as opposed to the closest. That would be my best advice. I would rather make sure things go right and drive a bit further than take a risk.

(08-02-2017, 03:49 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Thanks for the support.

I still hadn't heard a peep since being told the news, so I finally made some calls and got a hold of the office for the surgeon. It looks like he's set to review referrals in the morning, and will decide his upcoming schedule which has me thinking I should have a call soon to schedule the surgery. Someone told me that because it's so big... one doctor measured it at 11cm across... they might want me to go on chemo to shrink it before even trying to remove it. I've also been told to insist on the local oncology center as opposed to having them assign me some oncologist who would require me to travel.

Just as a reference, I have had a 9cm tumor, a 7cm tumor, and a 13 cm tumor removed from my shoulder. (all at different times.) I am no doctor, but if I were you, I would find an orthopedic oncologist and get it removed ASAP. Once it's removed, you'll likely undergo radiation, which I've been through twice. Finally, you may have other options than chemo, such as targeted medications. I have learned a ton about cancer over the past 3 years. What my doctors have always said is that removing the tumor via surgery should be first and foremost. That is the breeding ground. You want that out of your body before it metastasizes. Have they told you what stage you are yet?

If you have any questions, or just need to talk to someone who is also going through it, PM me, and we can talk. I will give you my phone number if you want, and we can talk anytime you want. Don't be afraid to lean on me a bit. I've been through just about it all. I'm here if you need a shoulder.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(08-02-2017, 12:01 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: I had a tumor removed a few years back.  I asked for the best surgeon as opposed to the closest.  That would be my best advice.  I would rather make sure things go right and drive a bit further than take a risk.

I can't imagine a better surgeon, and it will be a drive to get out there. I was talking about my Oncologist, or the doctor who I'd be talking to for treatments after surgery.

Kevin Billingsley is the surgeon...

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools...cology.cfm

(08-02-2017, 02:30 PM)Dakota Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 03:49 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Thanks for the support.

Just as a reference, I have had a 9cm tumor, a 7cm tumor, and a 13 cm tumor removed from my shoulder. (all at different times.) I am no doctor, but if I were you, I would find an orthopedic oncologist and get it removed ASAP. Once it's removed, you'll likely undergo radiation, which I've been through twice. Finally, you may have other options than chemo, such as targeted medications. I have learned a ton about cancer over the past 3 years. What my doctors have always said is that removing the tumor via surgery should be first and foremost. That is the breeding ground. You want that out of your body before it metastasizes. Have they told you what stage you are yet?

If you have any questions, or just need to talk to someone who is also going through it, PM me, and we can talk. I will give you my phone number if you want, and we can talk anytime you want. Don't be afraid to lean on me a bit. I've been through just about it all. I'm here if you need a shoulder.

Thanks a ton Dakota. I may just need a shoulder after the surgery.

'02

I thought I'd give you guys an update...

Things are starting to go fast. Tonight, as in Monday night, I go to work on my typical 12-hour graveyard shift, although after this day I'll be off work for three weeks. I need to get to bed right away to get a few hours because I have an echo cardiograph Tuesday afternoon. The echo cardiograph was ordered because my EKG didn't look good, so I'm hoping I pass. Assuming I do, my surgery is the following day, Wednesday afternoon. I'm told I won't need an overnight stay, which I'm surprised by, and will be sent off with a drain attached to me for the next couple weeks.

The bright side in all of this is that the next day, Thursday afternoon, I'll be watching football. Life can go on.
'02

Hoping all goes well.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Sending thoughts and prayers your way hoping for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Hope everything goes well for you!! (((Hugs)))
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Pulling for you, '02.

Hope it goes smoothly.

Here's hoping for a smooth ride, 02. On the bright side, you're in a MM state, so it hurts even if it doesn't hurt, amIrite?

Seriously, it sounds like you caught it early and are on the right track. We're all with you, brother.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

You've got a family in Tallahassee pulling for you, 02.

(09-04-2017, 11:21 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Here's hoping for a smooth ride, 02. On the bright side, you're in a MM state, so it hurts even if it doesn't hurt, amIrite?

Seriously, it sounds like you caught it early and are on the right track. We're all with you, brother.

Well, ideally I would have caught it 1 1/2 years ago when a marble-sized cyst was first detected, but losing my job and insurance made me wait. If I was thinking correctly I would have had this surgery this past January when I nearly had a doctor's visit scheduled, but I couldn't quite work out a date that was good for both me and my doctor. I'm very fortunate, at least as it appears so far, that it's still stage 3 and hasn't yet spread.

Hindsight is always so much clearer than foresight.
'02