Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack can't tackle

(08-10-2017, 10:56 PM)BklynJag Wrote: He struggled last year as well when he played.

He played fine in his limited action.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The tackling was a problem for most for the first unit tonight.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017, 11:08 PM by knarnn.)

(08-10-2017, 10:56 PM)BklynJag Wrote: He struggled last year as well when he played.

Oh really? 

What games were that?

(08-10-2017, 11:04 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: The tackling was a problem for most for the first unit tonight.

Telvin can't tackle either. Maybe we should look to replace him with Audie Cole.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

He's thinking too much instead of just playing. Let's hope it slows down for him mentally.

(08-10-2017, 11:41 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: He's thinking too much instead of just playing.  Let's hope it slows down for him mentally.

Bingo.

That comes with reps and experience. Hopefully he takes his lumps early (like Telvin) and his talent prevails sooner rather than later.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Throw Jack in Telvins role as the hit and run linebacker and he can just flow to the ball and keep it relativity simple. Now that's he's the MLB he has to think about what the offense is showing him, set the defense up THEN think of his own responsibility all in the space of a few seconds. It takes some time to get used to that. Poz does it automatically because he's played so long there.

All in all his upside as an MLB is enormous but we'll just have to get used to the lumps along the way. I don't think he played that bad.

(08-10-2017, 10:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jack don't have a clue. Let Brown be our MLB and put Jack back outside. Sit Poz

just what I was saying in the game day thread.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

I'm willing to cut him some slack and give him more time to adjust to the position, but I have to admit, I see him more of an outside LB. Blair Brown looks like he'd be better on the inside. Brown just looks more instinctive at this point.

QUOTABLE IV

“It was ok. I missed way too many tackles. I still have a lot of work to do. I’m not satisfied; I still have a ways to go. I’m going to continue working. We have another game next week and I’m excited.”

--Jaguars linebacker Myles jack

Jack does have a way to go. Since he's clearly not ready, we do have other options on the roster who can play. Audie Cole appears to fit the SLB role well, so one option is to move Poz back and start Cole at SLB, but that might be unfair to Poz given all the work he's done at SLB. Other options to start at MLB may be Josh McNary, Pullard III or Brown. I feel it's time to explore our options at the LB position. You know, if Jack instead focuses his efforts on STs, he could be a true ST demon. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2017, 06:24 AM by The Real Marty.)

I noticed the same thing, but in his defense, right on TV he was saying on the sidelines that he needs to tackle better. I heard that with my own ears. Also, he's all of 21 years old. And it's his very first game at MLB.

I think the problem we have with Jack is that he's a really great weakside LB, but we already have a really great WLB, so we have to put him somewhere else.

Poz was so underrated. Fans didn't give him enough credit. He was a tackling machine.

We shall see.

Sure it's one game in preseason so let's bench him for an undrafted player or a 5th round pick that looked ok against 2s and 3s. In fact let's just bench all of our starters because they all clearly struggled when it came to tackling.

Some of you people never fail to amaze me with the crazy which hunts you come up with.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(08-10-2017, 10:08 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I logged in to specifically make this thread, but you beat me to it. Myles Jack is nothing special. He's just an average middle line backer. More speed than Poz but he can't tackle worth a lick.

I'm being dead serious when I say Blair Brown is a better MLB than Jack. Jack is a converted RB that don't know how to play LB. Blair Brown is more fluid and more tenacity.

And Henne has way more command of the offense than Bortles. If he was a rookie, he would start over Blake.

Henne looked good against the 2s.  Fortunately we have the knowledge that he has more career INTs than TDs and isn't the guy.

(08-10-2017, 10:32 PM)uthill Wrote: Jack was a top 5 pick if wasn't for his knee. 1 game at a new position and not all pro? Take him out behind the woodshed. Seriously this thread is lacking in judgement.

^ this ^
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Three times he had the RB wrapped up and just fell off him. Now if he was facing Fournette I might understand, but come on. Maybe he'll suddenly improve in a week, but in all my years of watching football I've only seen one of LB look that bad... that would be Eric Westmoreland in a game he had against Sean Alexander and the Seahawks. Alexander exploded on the NFL scene in that game, but I'm having trouble even recalling the name of the guy Jack was trying but uttlerly failing to tackle.
'02

(08-11-2017, 08:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Three times he had the RB wrapped up and just fell off him. Now if he was facing Fournette I might understand, but come on. Maybe he'll suddenly improve in a week, but in all my years of watching football I've only seen one of LB look that bad... that would be Eric Westmoreland in a game he had against Sean Alexander and the Seahawks. Alexander exploded on the NFL scene in that game, but I'm having trouble even recalling the name of the guy Jack was trying but uttlerly failing to tackle.
It was Brandon Bolden and Dion Lewis the fact that you don't know who they are says a lot about your football knowledge.

Bolden is not an easy tackle and Lewis is extremely slippery.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Pump the brakes on the anti-Myles Jack talk. I'm no sunshine pumper but let's give it at least four regular season games to see if he's below average or not as starting MLB.

It is very concerning that he has not popped in his playing time so far. He played in 22% of the snaps last year and now one preseason game and he doesn't look anything like a top 5 or even first round talent. Most Jag fans were hoping for at least an above average LB (and the sunshine pumpers had him penciled in as elite). Hoping he gets it together.

Ahhhh... I love the morning after knee jerk reaction threads.

Goes great with my coffee

(08-11-2017, 09:13 AM)Kane Wrote: Ahhhh... I love the morning after knee jerk reaction threads.

Goes great with my coffee

I was just thinking the exact same thing. It's like a emotional roller coaster of tears with some of these folks. The game day thread is the best. Certain posters comments are like sunrise, guaranteed. Laughing
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

After one preseason game....we're doomed.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]