Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack can't tackle

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM by Kane.)

(08-11-2017, 09:23 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 09:13 AM)Kane Wrote: Ahhhh... I love the morning after knee jerk reaction threads.

Goes great with my coffee

I was just thinking the exact same thing. It's like a emotional roller coaster of tears with some of these folks. The game day thread is the best. Certain posters comments are like sunrise, guaranteed. Laughing

Well... Bortles didn't throw enough for people to pile on him really...
4nette ran well and scored...
O-Line probably performed better than anyone thought on the whole...

So... they gotta find something...
This morning it is 1)We can't tackle, Myles Jack the bust 2)We need a new kicker Myers missed 2 from 50+ 3)Grant should be our #2 RB
I haven't scrolled far enough... but I'm sure someone somewhere is clamoring for Henne to start after his solid outing VS Patriots 3s

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd rather have players who played the position successfully in college. Converting QB's to RB or WR doesn't make sense. If you want your MLB to make a lot of tackles, draft someone who did so in college. Poz was a beast at Penn State, Myles has a different skill set.

(08-11-2017, 09:54 AM)PAjagsfan Wrote: I'd rather have players who played the position successfully in college. Converting QB's to RB or WR doesn't make sense. If you want your MLB to make a lot of tackles, draft someone who did so in college. Poz was a beast at Penn State, Myles has a different skill set.

Jack played linebacker... so he didn't make a position switch?

No one is utilizing the Poz type MLB anymore man..
the NFL is going to a more versatile skill set with LBs, cover and tackle...

and sure Jack struggled a bit in his first start at MLB in a preseason game...
but I think it is a bit soon to be calling this guy a bust, or asking for Poz to get the position back that almost everyone wanted him ran out of last year due to his horrible coverage skills

(08-11-2017, 09:54 AM)PAjagsfan Wrote: I'd rather have players who played the position successfully in college. Converting QB's to RB or WR doesn't make sense. If you want your MLB to make a lot of tackles, draft someone who did so in college. Poz was a beast at Penn State, Myles has a different skill set.

While I agree with most of what you are saying, Poz is older and has lost a step, so finding a more athletic replacement at MLB was in order.

Boy, yall trippin. Smh. We need to focus on QB play and winning more than 3 games. Not taking a guy, who has never played a position, and trading him to Cleveland because he didnt have an awesome game. SMH.

This board man...smh
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(08-11-2017, 09:58 AM)Kane Wrote:

but I think it is a bit soon to be calling this guy a bust, or asking for Poz to get the position back that almost everyone wanted him ran out of last year due to his horrible coverage skills

Welcome to our bi-polar fan base.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-11-2017, 09:58 AM)Kane Wrote:

Jack isn't a traditional MLB, he's played outside most of the time (and even that time wasn't much as he came out early after missing most of the season after playing RB the season before; he doesn't have much experience). It's not the exact same position even though it's the same position group.

If you want your MLB to make every tackle, you should play someone who can make every tackle. That is an elite skill that not every player can simply do, so you either lose a bit playing Jack there or put someone else there.

I'm hoping he catches up and does show the explosive play-making ability that he showed at UCLA. My fear is he turns into the Dante Fowler of LBs; crazy athletic ability with very limited results.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

(08-11-2017, 10:05 AM)PAjagsfan Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 09:58 AM)Kane Wrote: Jack played linebacker... so he didn't make a position switch?

Jack isn't a traditional MLB, he's played outside most of the time (and even that time wasn't much as he came out early after missing most of the season after playing RB the season before; he doesn't have much experience). It's not the exact same position even though it's the same position group.

If you want your MLB to make every tackle, you should play someone who can make every tackle. That is an elite skill that not every player can simply do, so you either lose a bit playing Jack there or put someone else there.

He played RB sparingly as a sophmore at UCLA carrying the ball 28 times in nine games
He hasn't played exclusively at RB since sophmore year of high school....

And yeah.. he isn't a traditional MLB... he's like the new MLBs of the NFL. Cover and tackle.
BTW... he was a fine tackler for UCLA
76 total tackles as a freshman
87 as a sophmore
Probably 98 as a junior

Just think.... he'd be a rookie this year if he stayed for his senior year... Give the kid some time to adjust before we string him up from the rafters.

(08-11-2017, 10:15 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 10:05 AM)PAjagsfan Wrote: Jack isn't a traditional MLB, he's played outside most of the time (and even that time wasn't much as he came out early after missing most of the season after playing RB the season before; he doesn't have much experience). It's not the exact same position even though it's the same position group.

He played RB sparingly as a sophmore at UCLA carrying the ball 28 times in nine games

And yeah.. he isn't a traditional MLB... he's like the new MLBs of the NFL. Cover and tackle.
87 as a sophmore
Probably 98 as a junior

Just think.... he'd be a rookie this year if he stayed for his senior year... Give the kid some time to adjust before we string him up from the rafters.

You're looking at it backwards, he was never an exclusive MLB, he was always sharing time at other positions.

What you are saying isn't wrong, he was a "fine" tackler at UCLA. But his numbers don't compare to the college production of a MLB who is a tackling machine. Posluszny had 104 tackles as a Sophomore, 116 as a Junior, and 116 as a Senior.

(08-11-2017, 10:35 AM)PAjagsfan Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 10:15 AM)Kane Wrote: He played RB sparingly as a sophmore at UCLA carrying the ball 28 times in nine games

87 as a sophmore
Probably 98 as a junior

You're looking at it backwards, he was never an exclusive MLB, he was always sharing time at other positions.

What you are saying isn't wrong, he was a "fine" tackler at UCLA. But his numbers don't compare to the college production of a MLB who is a tackling machine. Posluszny had 104 tackles as a Sophomore, 116 as a Junior, and 116 as a Senior.

Once again.....

Those MLBs are fewer are further between now. The traditional 4-3 MLB is a dying position... the NFL wants sideline to sideline guys instead of 4-3 run stuffers, those types are going to get more tackles due to the job they are asked to do.
We're asking a guy to cover and tackle... Not just run stuff.

Injury derailed his coming out season, imo...

I think this guy can be as good as Eric Kendricks

Huh? He played fine, no splash plays but not bad at all. He over pursued on a cutback run and got caught up in traffic and missed 1 tackle. I would loke to see him downhill more bit nobody knows what exactly the coaches are asking him to do.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

(08-10-2017, 09:04 PM)mvannostran Wrote: I think he'll be fine. He's never played MLB before. Give him a ton of reps the next two weeks.

Worst case you just swap him and Poz back

Exactly.  Perhaps we should let him get adjusted to the speed of the game at a new position before we declare he can't tackle.  The guy made some plays last night, but he still needs to develop.  The more reps he has the better.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Listening to 1010XL, some of the callers have the mental capacity of shoe leather. A guy just called in and said he doesn't like Myles Jack because he's not coming across as intimidating or crazy, striking fear in the opposing team offenses. Seriously. Garrard even laughed that one off.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Myles Jack wasn't the only guy last night missing tackles. It was a team issue which surprised me considering how often we've worn pads leading up to the game.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-11-2017, 11:34 AM)FBT Wrote: Listening to 1010XL, some of the callers have the mental capacity of shoe leather.  A guy just called in and said he doesn't like Myles Jack because he's not coming across as intimidating or crazy, striking fear in the opposing team offenses.  Seriously.  Garrard even laughed that one off.

Unfortunately, I heard that call, too.

Wallbash

Under that logic, you could take random mugshots of convicts and because they look crazier than Jack, they would be better MLBs.

Sigh.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Considering that this was his first start in an NFL "game" at MLB I thought that he did just fine.  Perfect?  No by all means, but he didn't make any glaring bone-headed mistakes.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-11-2017, 11:36 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: Myles Jack wasn't the only guy last night missing tackles.  It was a team issue which surprised me considering how often we've worn pads leading up to the game.

I would expect that to improve.  This is the first time where they were actually tackling someone in game situations, and it wasn't just Jack who was suspect at times.  There were plenty of missed or shed tackles in that game.

(08-11-2017, 11:48 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 11:36 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: Myles Jack wasn't the only guy last night missing tackles.  It was a team issue which surprised me considering how often we've worn pads leading up to the game.

I would expect that to improve.  This is the first time where they were actually tackling someone in game situations, and it wasn't just Jack who was suspect at times.  There were plenty of missed or shed tackles in that game.

Exactly, but to be honest it was still better than previous years.  I used to chalk it up to not hitting much in training camp so at least we're further along there.

Can't wait to get Bouye and Ramsey back.  This could be a fun defense to watch.

He got caught chasing too much. He needs to anticipate the play quicker and fill up the lane by coming downhill. All he did last night was chase.

He saw real quick that guys are too fast.