Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I don't understand why we didnt bring in a kicker.

(08-14-2017, 12:53 PM)BritJag Wrote: Well stated NYC.  Patience could be virtuous, but it fundamentally antagonizes the millennial age of ready-made and instantaneous info.  Thus, we can't wait to actually watch a real game to make functional assessments.  Product of the times mate.

You can't ignore the facts, I would think, from a coaching and office stand point. A good GM always does his due diligence and a good coach is always prepared with alternate plans in place.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The league tweaked the extra point kicks and now there are misses across the teams. Use to be automatic now there is "excitement" in every kick. I'm not sure I like it. I'm not too worried about Myers at this point because I don't get to watch and over analyze the guy.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

No pressure in practice, so kicks should be easier.

And I am very against the new extra point rule. I hate the increased possibility of games being decided by missed PATs.

He is becoming the Bortles of kickers.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

If the Bears cut Barth, I'd bring him in.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(08-14-2017, 01:22 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: You can't ignore the facts, I would think, from a coaching and office stand point. A good GM always does his due diligence and a good coach is always prepared with alternate plans in place.

Absolutely Fred. The Jags haven't had a good coach and productive GM (in terms of wins, here I go again, not perception of talent) since the generally disliked JDR and Shack. Let's see how proactive this new regime is in terms of affecting change.  Tenuous lines though...

To the kicker, nature of the game, take the good with the bad. He is enigmatic, like the QB. The FO's collective heads must be spinning with each passing day. Do what you may top brass.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Could be worse. I mean, look at the team we're playing against this Thursday. They just cut their second round pick already from last year. He still has three weeks to get the shakes out and rust off. I liked what he did last year.

The problem is that this team has been spoiled a good portion of our existence with kickers like Mike Hollis and Josh Scobee. Myers isn't terrible by any means. The kid has a cannon for a leg.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-14-2017, 02:00 PM)BritJag Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 01:22 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: You can't ignore the facts, I would think, from a coaching and office stand point. A good GM always does his due diligence and a good coach is always prepared with alternate plans in place.

Absolutely Fred. The Jags haven't had a good coach and productive GM (in terms of wins, here I go again, not perception of talent) since the generally disliked JDR and Shack. Let's see how proactive this new regime is in terms of affecting change.  Tenuous lines though...

To the kicker, nature of the game, take the good with the bad. He is enigmatic, like the QB. The FO's collective heads must be spinning with each passing day. Do what you may top brass.

Yeah, I gotta say, all good points. I do kinda liken Marrone to JDR. So let's see if we can get back to that stout style of football, bully some teams, bend but never break. (And actually, let us not bend too much)- Here's to a successful 2017 then.

(08-14-2017, 02:03 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The problem is that this team has been spoiled a good portion of our existence with kickers like Mike Hollis and Josh Scobee. Myers isn't terrible by any means. The kid has a cannon for a leg.

Very much so.  I remember fans screaming for Scobee to be replaced after his first couple of seasons.  He went on to become sort of a "fan favorite".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bring Scobee out of retirement.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-12-2017, 12:09 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Is Long Ding still available?

No, but I hear his brother

...there is no way for me to finish that sentence without getting warned.

(08-14-2017, 01:50 PM)Tornadosoul7 Wrote: He is becoming the Bortles of kickers.

That's not good.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(08-14-2017, 12:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 11:59 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: I don't get people who say its just practice. 

Some perspective on that. 

Many of these reported "practice stats" coming from the twitter-sphere are actually referring to situational 7 on 7 drills.  If you really read all the reports - some of the reporters make distinctions between the various drills - but most do not. Especially if it suits their click bait or Jags-Snark agenda. 

In many of these 7 on 7 situational drills the offense is tasked with repeating a few plays over and over with limited deviation. 
This lends itself rather kindly to CBs that can anticipate and jump routes. 

I'm not saying there is no reason to have some concern over Bortles' practice struggles, but you really need to temper your disappointment with the understanding of situational practice drills. 

10 years ago there was no such thing as "practice stats."  If there were - the online fans of Brett Favre, Tony Romo and countless other QBs would have been losing their minds over all those pick sixes in "practice."

Or, they don't give full context.  Just this morning on 1010XL, Prosser started a rant by pointing out that Bortles threw an INT on his first pass in practice yesterday.  He failed to mention that it was tipped, which is what caused the INT.  

As far as bringing in another kicker because Meyers is missing kicks at this point is another one of those context things.  He missed a 30 yard kick in practice.  How many kicks did he make from that distance or further out?  I know Debbie Downer and the rest of the Trail of Tears crowd will grind their gears into dust over the missed kick.  It's what they do.  They are singly responsible for keeping Depends profitable.  If Meyers misses when it matters (as he did in the first preseason game), he'll be replaced with someone who can get the job done.  It doesn't require  competition in training camp for kickers to be replaced.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 08:19 AM by RicoTx.)

The important thing(s) to remember in all of these practice threads:

If something good happens in practice...we're allowed to say it's just practice.

If something bad happens, we need to freak out.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-15-2017, 08:16 AM)Rico Wrote: The important thing(s) to remember in all of these practice threads:

If something good happens in practice...we're allowed to say it's just practice.

If something bad happens, we need to freak out.

Word.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-15-2017, 08:07 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 12:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Some perspective on that. 

Many of these reported "practice stats" coming from the twitter-sphere are actually referring to situational 7 on 7 drills.  If you really read all the reports - some of the reporters make distinctions between the various drills - but most do not. Especially if it suits their click bait or Jags-Snark agenda. 

In many of these 7 on 7 situational drills the offense is tasked with repeating a few plays over and over with limited deviation. 
This lends itself rather kindly to CBs that can anticipate and jump routes. 

I'm not saying there is no reason to have some concern over Bortles' practice struggles, but you really need to temper your disappointment with the understanding of situational practice drills. 

10 years ago there was no such thing as "practice stats."  If there were - the online fans of Brett Favre, Tony Romo and countless other QBs would have been losing their minds over all those pick sixes in "practice."

Or, they don't give full context.  Just this morning on 1010XL, Prosser started a rant by pointing out that Bortles threw an INT on his first pass in practice yesterday.  He failed to mention that it was tipped, which is what caused the INT.  

As far as bringing in another kicker because Meyers is missing kicks at this point is another one of those context things.  He missed a 30 yard kick in practice.  How many kicks did he make from that distance or further out?  I know Debbie Downer and the rest of the Trail of Tears crowd will grind their gears into dust over the missed kick.  It's what they do.  They are singly responsible for keeping Depends profitable.  If Meyers misses when it matters (as he did in the first preseason game), he'll be replaced with someone who can get the job done.  It doesn't require  competition in training camp for kickers to be replaced.

Idk about filling up some depends, but the perspective u lean into does help for people like myself to pump the brakes. I suppose we don't think about stuff like, how many have been attempted from that distance and made. Still, some of us homers can see things from a different perspective as well. Like being worn and sensative from having endured your team losing at such a great rate for such a long time. The sky may not be falling but how can one tell with all these winning offseasons full of mirages and losing seasons full of reality?

(08-15-2017, 09:47 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 08:07 AM)FBT Wrote: Or, they don't give full context.  Just this morning on 1010XL, Prosser started a rant by pointing out that Bortles threw an INT on his first pass in practice yesterday.  He failed to mention that it was tipped, which is what caused the INT.  

Idk about filling up some depends, but the perspective u lean into does help for people like myself to pump the brakes. I suppose we don't think about stuff like, how many have been attempted from that distance and made. Still, some of us homers can see things from a different perspective as well. Like being worn and sensative from having endured your team losing at such a great rate for such a long time. The sky may not be falling but how can one tell with all these winning offseasons full of mirages and losing seasons full of reality?

Exactly.  During a practice session, a kicker may attempt dozens of field goals from a variety of distances.  If he misses one, that seems to get the attention, especially from a certain population that exists to be miserable on this board.

As one of those "homers", I see mistakes in training camp as a good thing.  If it's happening there, it can be corrected so that we don't see it when the games matter.  We don't have to subscribe to Munchhausen Syndrome just because the team has been in a rut for several years.  Not every mistake registered in a practice is worthy of the kind of sky is falling hyperbole we see on a daily basis from our resident black cloud expert, Debbie Downer.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Yeah, ya know, I can dig it Tim

I'm pretty sure a Kicker isn't going to make or break this team... it's going to be the QB that either leads them to victory or off the plank.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(08-15-2017, 11:45 AM)David4499 Wrote: I'm pretty sure a Kicker isn't going to make or break this team... it's going to be the QB that either leads them to victory or off the plank.

If Meyers is still struggling at the end of the preseason, he'll be doing it independently of the team.  There's no reason to eat up a roster spot with competition at kicker.  At the end of the day, you're right.  A kicker shouldn't make or break this team.  It's all going to come down to #5 and where he is at when the games matter.