Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brett Hundley

I don't see them addressing the position now at this point. It's a little late in the year. If they weren't willing to sign any QB's during the free agency period nor draft one. There's really no sense in delving into it now at this point when you're trying to figure out the fifty-three you want to keep.

Bringing in another signal caller would take a week or two at the minimum just to get them up to speed with the playbook alone. Then you have to manage to squeeze them in with a new center. Then you have to get them acclimated with the receiving core and backfield. It's just a lot to ask at this time.

This team made a decision roughly three to five months ago that they were going to beef up the defense. Which they did. They took the 10th overall ranked defense and added a premium defensive lineman in Campbell. They complimented Ramsey with Bouye. The highest touted CB of this free agency class. And they signed Church to add some veteran leadership and team captain qualities to help reign in the young players back there.

They didn't really get any big name offensive lineman but they did try to address the interior with Watford and they did draft Cam Robinson which now becomes even more critical thanks to Brandon Albert quitting on the team. They drafted Fournette and Westbrook as well to already add to a respectable receiving core and decent backfield.

They're all in this year with Bortles. If he fails. Henne steps in. And if he fails. Allen steps in. He's the end of the line. I see Allen going to the practice squad this year though if he's eligible. What's going to really burn this fan base up though, including myself, is that, if we have to sit back and watch a garbage QB this year while a team like the tinhorns improves with Watson, or, Kansas City improves with Mahomes at some point in 2017. May not be right off the block. May be mid season. Depends. But, if we're below .500 and those two QB's come in and keep their teams at .500 or better.

Heads need to roll in that front office as soon as possible. Someone needs to come out and answer for that. Somewhere, somehow. Once again, the front office failed in evaluations. Or just don't care. So which is it?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hundley isn't the same guy that he was at UCLA. He's been developing for 2 years behind arguably the best QB in the game. I've heard a lot of good things about him from GB fans. I'm all for bringing him in to push Blake. At least if Blake goes down/benched and we're actually winning this year our season wouldn't be doomed.

I'd rather draft a QB than take someone else's leftovers.

There's virtually zero chance they alter their QB plan at this stage.

FTR - I was a proponent of drafting an insurance policy QB. But they aren't going to abandon ship at this point. Too far along.

(08-13-2017, 07:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 07:48 PM)TealHammer Wrote: I wasn't a Huntley fan coming out of UCLA. No reason to think he'd be an upgrade.

I'm a huge UCLA fan, but I never saw Hundley as a serious pro prospect. His game doesn't translate to the NFL.

I like UCLA as well and must admit the hype surrounding him was much greater than the end result.

Junior season

Wary of the criticism of his passing skills, Hundley attempted to impress the pro scouts by running the ball less to begin the 2014 season. The team began the season undefeated at 4–0 until the No. 8 Bruins were upset 30–28 by the Utah Utes. In the game, Hundley was sacked a career-high 10 times, renewing concerns over his pocket awareness.Through 32 career games, he was sacked 107 times, the highest among active Football Bowl Subdivision quarterbacks

(08-14-2017, 01:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There's virtually zero chance they alter their QB plan at this stage.

FTR - I was a proponent of drafting an insurance policy QB. But they aren't going to abandon ship at this point. Too far along.

This is a good idea for next year if Bortles doesn't get us to the playoffs this year, but gets at least 7 wins this year.

Otherwise I think it's best we just start over next year with a new QB if Bortles gets us fewer than 7 wins (unless most of them are close losses that are clearly not his fault)

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 04:05 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-14-2017, 11:47 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: I'd rather draft a QB than take someone else's leftovers.

I agree with this 110%. There should be some really good QB's in this draft even if some of the underclassmen decide to stay in school. I haven't been impressed with the last couple QB classes, but I'm actually excited for this one. I see some real potential. I have several college QB's I will be watching intensely.

You're never gonna find the next Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning by trading for some other team's backup QB. I'd rather gamble and try to draft the next superstar. Some of you may be content with finding a pure game manager at QB, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want a dynamic signal caller who can lead this team to a Superbowl.

(08-14-2017, 03:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 11:47 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: I'd rather draft a QB than take someone else's leftovers.

I agree with this 110%. There should be some really good QB's in this draft even if some of the underclassmen decide to stay in school. I haven't been impressed with the last couple QB classes, but I'm actually excited for this one. I see some real potential. I have several college QB's I will be watching intensely.

You're never gonna find the next Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning by trading for some other team's backup QB. I'd rather gamble and try to draft the next superstar. Some of you may be content with finding a pure game manager at QB, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want a dynamic signal caller who can lead this team to a Superbowl.

On the surface, this makes sense. However, when looking over the quarterbacks drafted since 1999, there have been many more busts than hits. The Jaguars have 3 of these: Leftwich, Bortles and Gabbert. The names Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsay, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman, Vince Young, Matt Leinhart, Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, R.G. 3, Brandon Weeden, E.J. Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Josh Freeman and Tim Tebow still give the general managers who drafted them nightmares as well as the hopeful fans who thought they had just drafted the guy who'd take them to the Super Bowl.

How many great quarterbacks have been drafted since then and taken their team to the Super Bowl? Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan have taken their teams to the promised land, but are Newton, Manning and Ryan great? That is questionable.

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Joe Flacco were not great (although Flacco was very solid) when their teams won Super Bowls. 

Finally, let's look at Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, and Rich Gannon. All were backups or struggling until they got traded and lead their new team to the Super Bowl. Our own Mark Brunell was also a backup in Green Bay and eventually took the Jaguars to 2 AFC Championship games.

Blake Bortles has more career pick 6's (11) than wins (10). He has more pick 6's after 3 seasons than any q.b. in the history of the NFL. Obviously, the coaching staff and administration has very little confidence in him as evidenced by their off-season acquisitions. Take as much pressure off Bortles by running the ball and playing great defense; this will be their strategy. Does anybody have any doubt that Blake will lose at least 1 or 2 games this season due to terrible judgement or lack of accuracy? The term "game manager" may not be sexy, but if the team has a great defense and solid running game that is all they need until they are fortunate enough to find the next Brady, Manning, Brees or Roethlisberger. It wasn't that long ago that David Garrard, an average q.b. for sure, lead the Jags to the playoffs including 2 wins against the Steelers on consecutive weeks before running into Tom Brady.

It's time for this team to cut their losses. If they feel Henne would not be an improvement, trade for someone who won't continue to lose games for this team.

(08-14-2017, 09:35 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 03:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree with this 110%. There should be some really good QB's in this draft even if some of the underclassmen decide to stay in school. I haven't been impressed with the last couple QB classes, but I'm actually excited for this one. I see some real potential. I have several college QB's I will be watching intensely.

On the surface, this makes sense. However, when looking over the quarterbacks drafted since 1999, there have been many more busts than hits. The Jaguars have 3 of these: Leftwich, Bortles and Gabbert. The names Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsay, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman, Vince Young, Matt Leinhart, Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, R.G. 3, Brandon Weeden, E.J. Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Josh Freeman and Tim Tebow still give the general managers who drafted them nightmares as well as the hopeful fans who thought they had just drafted the guy who'd take them to the Super Bowl.

How many great quarterbacks have been drafted since then and taken their team to the Super Bowl? Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan have taken their teams to the promised land, but are Newton, Manning and Ryan great? That is questionable.

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Joe Flacco were not great (although Flacco was very solid) when their teams won Super Bowls. 

Finally, let's look at Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, and Rich Gannon. All were backups or struggling until they got traded and lead their new team to the Super Bowl. Our own Mark Brunell was also a backup in Green Bay and eventually took the Jaguars to 2 AFC Championship games.

Blake Bortles has more career pick 6's (11) than wins (10). He has more pick 6's after 3 seasons than any q.b. in the history of the NFL. Obviously, the coaching staff and administration has very little confidence in him as evidenced by their off-season acquisitions. Take as much pressure off Bortles by running the ball and playing great defense; this will be their strategy. Does anybody have any doubt that Blake will lose at least 1 or 2 games this season due to terrible judgement or lack of accuracy? The term "game manager" may not be sexy, but if the team has a great defense and solid running game that is all they need until they are fortunate enough to find the next Brady, Manning, Brees or Roethlisberger. It wasn't that long ago that David Garrard, an average q.b. for sure, lead the Jags to the playoffs including 2 wins against the Steelers on consecutive weeks before running into Tom Brady.

It's time for this team to cut their losses. If they feel Henne would not be an improvement, trade for someone who won't continue to lose games for this team.

Can you honestly say you see a backup QB on another team that can be mentioned in the same sentence with Drew Brees, Kurt Warner or Steve Young? I certainly don't see it. Nothing even close to it. I do see several QB's in the next draft that I believe have the potential to be stars though. I haven't been able to say that for several years, but I really like the way this class is shaping up so far. I'd rather see how this college season plays out and gamble on getting a QB in the draft. I was not a fan of any of the QB's the Jags drafted in years past, but hopefully we have learned from our mistakes and we'll get the right guy now.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 02:16 AM by Dakota.)

(08-13-2017, 07:25 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Let's face it- Blake Bortles does not have what it takes to be a starting NFL quarterback. Henne looked good in the 1st pre-season game, but his inconsistency is well-documented. We do not know enough about Brandon Allen to even consider him a reasonable option at this point.

Back in 1995, Tom Coughlin acquired Mark Brunell from the Packers for a mid-round draft pick. It was probably the best move he ever made along with trading Rob Johnson for a 1st rounder who turned out to be Fred Taylor. I suggest that he calls Green Bay again to see if they would take a 3rd or 4th round pick for Brett Hundley. There are similarities between Brunell and Hundley. Both had very good careers in the Pac 10 and were stuck on teams lead by future Hall of Fame quarterbacks. The odds of Brunell becoming a pro-bowler who would take the Jaguars to the AFC Championship twice were not very good at the time of the trade. But it did happen and there isn't a close second as far as best quarterbacks in Jaguars history.

Brett Hundley is the best option right now. It would not cost the Jaguars a lot and they would have a year to see if he has what it takes to be their quarterback of the future. If not, next year's draft has several excellent prospects. Forget about McCarron (the price is too high ) or Kaepernick (for the obvious reasons).

Make the call, Tom, and let's see if deja vu can happen again!

Let me get this straight. You want the Jags to sign an UDFAQB that has been unsigned for28 months? Just for argument's sake, let's say every NFL team only keeps 2 QBs for the season. That's 64 players. And the likes of Jay frigging Cutler are being yanked out of transportation.

There is no lightning in that bottle. Are you sure you didn't get struck by said lightning?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

...uness he's really good... and from what I've seen of Hundley, he's really good, although I haven't seen all that much of him.
'02

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 04:48 PM by jaglou53.)

(08-14-2017, 10:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 09:35 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: On the surface, this makes sense. However, when looking over the quarterbacks drafted since 1999, there have been many more busts than hits. The Jaguars have 3 of these: Leftwich, Bortles and Gabbert. The names Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsay, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman, Vince Young, Matt Leinhart, Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, R.G. 3, Brandon Weeden, E.J. Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Josh Freeman and Tim Tebow still give the general managers who drafted them nightmares as well as the hopeful fans who thought they had just drafted the guy who'd take them to the Super Bowl.

Can you honestly say you see a backup QB on another team that can be mentioned in the same sentence with Drew Brees, Kurt Warner or Steve Young? I certainly don't see it. Nothing even close to it. I do see several QB's in the next draft that I believe have the potential to be stars though. I haven't been able to say that for several years, but I really like the way this class is shaping up so far. I'd rather see how this college season plays out and gamble on getting a QB in the draft. I was not a fan of any of the QB's the Jags drafted in years past, but hopefully we have learned from our mistakes and we'll get the right guy now.
I can't say that; if I had that ability I'd be coveted by 32 owners to be their next general manager. However, how many people saw that in Warner until he got his chance with the injury of Trent Green. As far as Steve Young, many considered him a one-dimensional quarterback who would never succeed in the NFL. 

My main point, however, is that until the Jaguars are able to find their long-term quarterback of the future, they would be better served by finding a suitable game-manager who will limit turnovers such as Garrard did when the Jaguars last made the playoffs. I threw out the name of Brett Hundley since he has appeared to improve since entering the league and some believe he has a lot of upside. Of equal importance is that he would not command that high a price if traded. I do believe there are other backups now who would be significantly better than Bortles including McCarron, Kaepernick,and both McCown's--- to name just a few. None of those guys will ever be selected for Canton, but they would give the Jaguars a better chance to win now.

Finally, I am not very optimistic that the team's franchise quarterback of the future will be found in the next draft. Despite having Bortles as quarterback, the schedule is not strong and the defense is very good. That means they should win at least 6 games which likely means they cannot draft one of the top 3 quarterbacks. Frankly, I only see one "can't miss" guy and that is Darnold- who will be long gone when the Jaguars are on the clock. Although Rudolph, Rosen, Allen and Jackson all have positives, none are guarantees to succeed in the NFL. The Jaguars will need to still take their chances next year with either a 1st round or free agent q.b. if Bortles flames out. Unfortunately, history shows that franchise quarterbacks are extremely hard to find.

(08-15-2017, 02:14 AM)Dakota Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 07:25 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Let's face it- Blake Bortles does not have what it takes to be a starting NFL quarterback. Henne looked good in the 1st pre-season game, but his inconsistency is well-documented. We do not know enough about Brandon Allen to even consider him a reasonable option at this point.

Back in 1995, Tom Coughlin acquired Mark Brunell from the Packers for a mid-round draft pick. It was probably the best move he ever made along with trading Rob Johnson for a 1st rounder who turned out to be Fred Taylor. I suggest that he calls Green Bay again to see if they would take a 3rd or 4th round pick for Brett Hundley. There are similarities between Brunell and Hundley. Both had very good careers in the Pac 10 and were stuck on teams lead by future Hall of Fame quarterbacks. The odds of Brunell becoming a pro-bowler who would take the Jaguars to the AFC Championship twice were not very good at the time of the trade. But it did happen and there isn't a close second as far as best quarterbacks in Jaguars history.

Brett Hundley is the best option right now. It would not cost the Jaguars a lot and they would have a year to see if he has what it takes to be their quarterback of the future. If not, next year's draft has several excellent prospects. Forget about McCarron (the price is too high ) or Kaepernick (for the obvious reasons).

Make the call, Tom, and let's see if deja vu can happen again!

Let me get this straight. You want the Jags to sign an UDFAQB that has been unsigned for28 months? Just for argument's sake, let's say every NFL team only keeps 2 QBs for the season. That's 64 players. And the likes of Jay frigging Cutler are being yanked out of transportation.

There is no lightning in that bottle. Are you sure you didn't get struck by said lightning?
Not sure who you are talking about. Hundley was drafted by the Packers and has never been a free agent. Maybe it was you who were struck by that lightning.

(08-15-2017, 11:33 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

...uness he's really good... and from what I've seen of Hundley, he's really good, although I haven't seen all that much of him.

Thanks for the informed input based on not seeing much of him.

I've got a good friend who went to UCLA and still follows the team religiously.  I'll take his word for it when he says to stay away from this guy.

This team isn't bringing in competition 2 weeks into training camp, so all the fantasies about trading for some scrub backup on another roster are simply that.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-15-2017, 05:35 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 11:33 AM)Jags02 Wrote: ...uness he's really good... and from what I've seen of Hundley, he's really good, although I haven't seen all that much of him.

Thanks for the informed input based on not seeing much of him.

I've got a good friend who went to UCLA and still follows the team religiously.  I'll take his word for it when he says to stay away from this guy.

This team isn't bringing in competition 2 weeks into training camp, so all the fantasies about trading for some scrub backup on another roster are simply that.

I'm wondering what specifically he might have said. What I saw was a preseason game with him as a rookie, and he had a great game. That said, I just noticed his stats from last year where he played in four late-season games... 2 of 10 for 17 yards and 1 INT along with 3 rushes for -2 yards... that equates to a zero QB rating.
'02

(08-15-2017, 11:33 AM)Jags02 Wrote: ...uness he's really good... and from what I've seen of Hundley, he's really good, although I haven't seen all that much of him.

Well, I doubt you would have seen much of him.  He's only had 10 attempts in the NFL (when games count).  Only 2 of which have been completions.  1 of which has been an interception.

(08-16-2017, 11:36 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:

Well, I doubt you would have seen much of him.  He's only had 10 attempts in the NFL (when games count).  Only 2 of which have been completions.  1 of which has been an interception.

And in preseason this past week... which apparently was enough for people to think he is trade worthy...

50% comp
1 TD and 1 INT
<100 yards

Vs mostly back ups... sooo....

he...good....?
Meh...

Had a very good outing vs the Redskins on Friday

If the jags are gonna pony up something big for a qb, I think Jimmy g is the best choice
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I'm amazed everyone is willing to punt a year of prime Campbell, Malik, Church, and Bouye to hope we hit on a rookie next year. This is EASILY a playoff team with Tyrod at QB. Our schedule is so sooooo easy, and Tyrod's mobility would only help Fournette excel. When it comes to Hundley, he's been developing behind Aaron Rodgers, and while that doesn't guarantee he'll be great, it certainly means something.

(08-20-2017, 06:13 PM)Teal Curtain Wrote: Had a very good outing vs the Redskins on Friday

Brandon Allen has had good outings as well.