Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Total Solar Eclipse Coming On August 21, 2017***

We drove up to Columbia, SC yesterday to see it at Lake Murray. Was really, really cool to see for the first time.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-21-2017, 05:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: As I suspected.  Pretty much a huge NOTHING BURGER.  Listening to the radio this morning they were talking about "traffic problems" and "temperature drops" during this thing.  Traffic is flowing normally and it's still 80+ degrees here.

I laugh at the people that actually traveled to view this event and I give kudos to the many people that actually made money off of them.  I saw reports of land owners charging $75 per person to view it on their land.  Get 100 or so stupid people on your property at $75 a head... that's a good little bit of beer money.

You have no clue. The difference between a TOTAL solar eclipse vs. a partial solar eclipse is like the difference between having sex vs. dancing. It was a long drive, but 100% worth it.

We went to Tellico Plains TN. I expected it to be an out of the way spot with maybe a few people, but there were about 10,000 people there. The weather was perfect, and the eclipse was amazing. I didn't waste time taking photographs of the eclipse, it's something you are best just watching.

Traffic was normal getting there, but heavy afterwards.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-21-2017, 06:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:44 PM)TJBender Wrote: Hey [BLEEP] you too buddy

Did you get your money's worth?  If you think so, then more power to you.  My guess is that it was a less-than exciting event.  In case you missed it, sunset is approaching...

(08-21-2017, 06:04 PM)rollerjag Wrote: While you're here being condescending to those who actually like to witness rare events, kids are playing on your yard, unheeded.

Even with clouds, it was very cool. I'm not quite understanding the need for derision.

I keep kids out of my yard.  No need to set myself up for some kind of lawsuit.

My "derision" comes from how the media hyped this whole thing up so dramatically including the "countdown clocks".  Heck, on the radio this morning they were warning about "traffic problems" and talking about how the "temperature would drop".  School hours were adjusted because of course we don't want any of the snowflakes being hurt.

None of that happened.  People were flocking to areas willing to pay money for a very short time-frame of sun-down, dark, sun-up (or something close to that).

Here in Jacksonville, it got darker but it's hard to decide if it was because of the cloud cover or the eclipse.

Which media? If local Jacksonville media hyped things like utter darkness, traffic problems and cooler temperatures, only a fool with no knowledge of what a solar eclipse is would buy into it. If it was national reports regarding areas which would be in the totality, they were spot on.

It was an extraordinary event. I feel bad for you or anyone else who didn't have an opportunity to experience it.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(08-21-2017, 06:41 PM)TJBender Wrote: Not sure if you've ever had dreams or aspirations, but seeing a solar eclipse has been one of mine since my third-grade science teacher spent a day on eclipses and told us that the next one was in 2017. To lose almost all of that eclipse because my camera reset itself seconds before totality was a dagger to the heart, and the last thing I need right now is a [BLEEP] comment from someone with all the scientific inclinations of a flat-earther.
Equating a solar eclipse to sunset is like saying that making use of a tube sock is about the same as getting laid.

I'm sorry things didn't work out how you wanted them to. I understand where you're coming from. My dream didn't include an eclipse but dreams are dreams and it sucks when things don't work out.

Nice analogy with the tube sock. I actually laughed out loud at that one.

Being so far away from the "total eclipse zone" I didn't care much about the event.

I got a good couple chuckles at co-workers that completely stopped what they did to stare at the sun with some special sunglasses though...

Had I been in the "zone" I might have cared a little bit...
Maybe I'll be in position to drive and see the next one in 7 years.

Then again... I'll be older and grumpier about nothing, so I might care even less about it then lol.

I can understand some people caring about this sort of thing... not sure why it was some life stopping event though.

We tried to go to the GA Guidestones but they were PACKED! People camping and all kinds of craziness. We kept going North and ended up chilling at a dirt track in Livonia GA. It was freaking awesome. No clouds, totality, cicadas and bats trying to figure out what the hell was happening.

Went back to the Guidestones on the way back to our cabin, took a picture with an alien. Good times.
[Image: 2017-08-23_1908.png]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Aliens wear sunglasses? Who knew?

(08-23-2017, 09:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Aliens wear sunglasses? Who knew?

Or grew beards.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I know, super creepy right!?

(08-24-2017, 12:53 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I know, super creepy right!?

You have nice big eyes, but couldn't you have at least smiled in the picture??

(08-24-2017, 08:35 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 12:53 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I know, super creepy right!?

You have nice big eyes, but couldn't you have at least smiled in the picture??

And the Dracula cape (rolling my eyes).

(08-24-2017, 08:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 08:35 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: You have nice big eyes, but couldn't you have at least smiled in the picture??

And the Dracula cape (rolling my eyes).

Now you're just being too judgmental. Sheesh.

(08-24-2017, 09:07 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 08:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: And the Dracula cape (rolling my eyes).

Now you're just being too judgmental. Sheesh.

You're right, I spoke in haste. 

(in a whisper) But look at that forehead. My god, you could project a movie on that thing!

*ahem* Uh, yeah H.E., that cape is groovy.

Hey, Peyton Manning in my cousin....We call it a fivehead.

(08-24-2017, 10:35 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Hey, Peyton Manning in my cousin....We call it a fivehead.

That's at least a sixhead my friend.

(08-24-2017, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 09:07 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Now you're just being too judgmental. Sheesh.

You're right, I spoke in haste. 

(in a whisper) But look at that forehead. My god, you could project a movie on that thing!

(Whispering back) I was trying to be nice and was pretending not to notice. Men can be very sensitive about their receding hairlines!!

(08-24-2017, 12:10 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 10:35 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Hey, Peyton Manning in my cousin....We call it a fivehead.

That's at least a sixhead my friend.

(08-24-2017, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: You're right, I spoke in haste. 

(Whispering back) I was trying to be nice and was pretending not to notice. Men can be very sensitive about their receding hairlines!!

Poor fella.

Why are you smirking at my forehead?

(08-23-2017, 07:09 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: We tried to go to the GA Guidestones but they were PACKED! People camping and all kinds of craziness. We kept going North and ended up chilling at a dirt track in Livonia GA. It was freaking awesome. No clouds, totality, cicadas and bats trying to figure out what the hell was happening.

Went back to the Guidestones on the way back to our cabin, took a picture with an alien. Good times.
[Image: 2017-08-23_1908.png]

So there I was.. Waiting to be taken back to my own planet and that jerkface is taking pics in GA... Last time I call Astro Über..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]