Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Total Solar Eclipse Coming On August 21, 2017***

(08-15-2017, 08:30 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 08:28 PM)TJBender Wrote: Short answer, yes.

Long answer, very yes.

Dangit, i was thinking of making a run for it monday morning for this once in a lifetine experience

My South Carolina hotel is only for Sunday night. In retrospect, I wish I'd thought to book my SC and GA options for Saturday night as well, because I think getting up there on Sunday, wherever I end up, could be an absolute mess. My NC option was booked for Saturday and Sunday nights to account for that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-15-2017, 08:40 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 08:30 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Dangit, i was thinking of making a run for it monday morning for this once in a lifetine experience

My South Carolina hotel is only for Sunday night. In retrospect, I wish I'd thought to book my SC and GA options for Saturday night as well, because I think getting up there on Sunday, wherever I end up, could be an absolute mess. My NC option was booked for Saturday and Sunday nights to account for that.

Good job planning ahead.  Could be the worst traffic jam in history.   Sucks, I guess ill watch it at Jax with just 92% totality l.

A year ago I started planning on traveling north the day of to watch this. I had no idea it would become so wildly popular then. After the latest predictions on how bad the traffic conditions will be, I've decided not to go.

You people ruin everything!

(08-15-2017, 10:18 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A year ago I started planning on traveling north the day of to watch this. I had no idea it would become so wildly popular then. After the latest predictions on how bad the traffic conditions will be, I've decided not to go.

You people ruin everything!

I feel you. One of my options puts me up I-95 on Sunday. One of them lets me take back highways through Georgia, but it's the location I'm least excited about. One of them forces me to drive back home through Atlanta on Monday. A fun time to be had by all no matter how I cut it.

(08-15-2017, 05:47 PM)Jags Wrote: So, let me ask a stupid question.  Why is looking at it worse than looking at the sun on a regular day?  Wouldn't a regular day be worse?  I keep hearing it'll screw up your camera.  But people take photos of the sun all the time.  Especially sunrises.  Is there something goofy that happens with the light during an eclipse? Or is it because people will be naturally wanting to look at it when people don't naturally look at the sun any other time?

You can't look at a normal sun long enough to damage your eyes because it hurts, causing you to look away before any permanent damage is done. An eclipsed sun is easier to look at without pain, but the damaging rays still exist.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(08-15-2017, 10:33 AM)rollerjag Wrote: I live in the path, 99.87% eclipse on my deck, a 20 minute drive from total, which I plan to make.

That's cool. I'm a couple hours north of total in Vancouver, WA.
'02

(08-15-2017, 08:58 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: For those who have never seen a total solar eclipse, it's worth the drive from Jacksonville to South Carolina, even with the predicted very heavy traffic, to be in the path of totality*. You don't need any special equipment to look at a total eclipse. Be sure to get "eclipse glasses" for viewing the partial, but don't use them during totality. 

Check the weather forecast before you leave, and get an early start. The center line of the path goes through Lake Marion, about mile marker 100 in SC on I-95.

* If you have seen one I know you'll be there for this one.

There is absolutely NOTHING worth driving to South Carolina for until they get around to widening and repaving I-95. Tongue
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

For me it will be 90% obstruction in Lafayette Indiana. I plan to sit outside during that time while at work.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

I've seen a couple in my lifetime, though not at 100%.  It doesn't last very long.

I don't get the hype for this one at all.  If you want to see what an eclipse is like, go outside today at around 8:06 PM (sunset) and wait until tomorrow at around 6:55 AM (sunrise).  The only difference is that it happens within just a few minutes.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-16-2017, 07:54 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 08:58 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: For those who have never seen a total solar eclipse, it's worth the drive from Jacksonville to South Carolina, even with the predicted very heavy traffic, to be in the path of totality*. You don't need any special equipment to look at a total eclipse. Be sure to get "eclipse glasses" for viewing the partial, but don't use them during totality. 

Check the weather forecast before you leave, and get an early start. The center line of the path goes through Lake Marion, about mile marker 100 in SC on I-95.

* If you have seen one I know you'll be there for this one.

There is absolutely NOTHING worth driving to South Carolina for until they get around to widening and repaving I-95. Tongue
Just made that drive and I will be doing it again shortly.  South Carolina sucks.

(08-16-2017, 03:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I've seen a couple in my lifetime, though not at 100%.  It doesn't last very long.

I don't get the hype for this one at all.  If you want to see what an eclipse is like, go outside today at around 8:06 PM (sunset) and wait until tomorrow at around 6:55 AM (sunrise).  The only difference is that it happens within just a few minutes.

The sun's corona enveloping the moon is slightly different from sunset.

I'm just gonna walk outside during work and stare at it.. cant be no different than my usual stare at the sun for 10 minutes routine

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I'm committed to the place in Tennessee that I somehow got my hands on earlier tonight. Cloud cover in NC, GA and SC looked like too big a gamble. I will be chilling in a hotel parking lot on Monday watching the moon do its thing, with a very high likelihood of not being clouded over.

(08-16-2017, 10:17 PM)TJBender Wrote: I'm committed to the place in Tennessee that I somehow got my hands on earlier tonight. Cloud cover in NC, GA and SC looked like too big a gamble. I will be chilling in a hotel parking lot on Monday watching the moon do its thing, with a very high likelihood of not being clouded over.

Where in Tennessee will you be? I'm going to try the scenic overlook rest stop on US 111 (the view from which is pictured below) in hopes it won't be too crowded.

[Image: 19984015_10158873035470167_2971458652773...e=5A2DD898]
- Bob Marley

(08-17-2017, 11:55 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 10:17 PM)TJBender Wrote: I'm committed to the place in Tennessee that I somehow got my hands on earlier tonight. Cloud cover in NC, GA and SC looked like too big a gamble. I will be chilling in a hotel parking lot on Monday watching the moon do its thing, with a very high likelihood of not being clouded over.

Where in Tennessee will you be? I'm going to try the scenic overlook rest stop on US 111 (the view from which is pictured below) in hopes it won't be too crowded.

You have no idea how close you were to inadvertently bumping into me. My target has shifted many, many times over the last 48 hours, to the point where I ate a $60 deposit on a frightening hotel room in Maryville in exchange for a Super 8 in Kingston, which is my final landing spot. I almost booked a hotel room in Hixson instead and that exact turnoff is where I was looking at. I ended up passing it up for two reasons. One, I don't particularly want to have to drive on Monday (not an option for you, though). Two, I could see that spot becoming comedically overloaded as people out driving just trying to find a place to stop see a turnoff. If you're going there, I'd suggest getting there really, really early and making a day of it.

The storm chaser in me feels like the best way to get a clear view of the eclipse and not be surrounded by other people is to get yourself about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the way into the path of totality, find the first side road you can, get off on it and drive until the first open field you come across, then park and wait. I've picked up plenty of great photographs by doing exactly that. Kind of why I ended up in Kingston. It's a compact area with lots of open fields within walking distance of me.

(08-17-2017, 11:33 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:55 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Where in Tennessee will you be? I'm going to try the scenic overlook rest stop on US 111 (the view from which is pictured below) in hopes it won't be too crowded.

You have no idea how close you were to inadvertently bumping into me. My target has shifted many, many times over the last 48 hours, to the point where I ate a $60 deposit on a frightening hotel room in Maryville in exchange for a Super 8 in Kingston, which is my final landing spot. I almost booked a hotel room in Hixson instead and that exact turnoff is where I was looking at. I ended up passing it up for two reasons. One, I don't particularly want to have to drive on Monday (not an option for you, though). Two, I could see that spot becoming comedically overloaded as people out driving just trying to find a place to stop see a turnoff. If you're going there, I'd suggest getting there really, really early and making a day of it.

The storm chaser in me feels like the best way to get a clear view of the eclipse and not be surrounded by other people is to get yourself about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the way into the path of totality, find the first side road you can, get off on it and drive until the first open field you come across, then park and wait. I've picked up plenty of great photographs by doing exactly that. Kind of why I ended up in Kingston. It's a compact area with lots of open fields within walking distance of me.

Yeah, word is already out the overlook will be full and closed early. The beauty of it is I'm close to the 100% band and know the back roads. There's plenty of cleared, elevated places with space for parking off the beaten path. Cemeteries are perfect, and numerous.
- Bob Marley

(08-18-2017, 12:54 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:33 PM)TJBender Wrote: You have no idea how close you were to inadvertently bumping into me. My target has shifted many, many times over the last 48 hours, to the point where I ate a $60 deposit on a frightening hotel room in Maryville in exchange for a Super 8 in Kingston, which is my final landing spot. I almost booked a hotel room in Hixson instead and that exact turnoff is where I was looking at. I ended up passing it up for two reasons. One, I don't particularly want to have to drive on Monday (not an option for you, though). Two, I could see that spot becoming comedically overloaded as people out driving just trying to find a place to stop see a turnoff. If you're going there, I'd suggest getting there really, really early and making a day of it.

Yeah, word is already out the overlook will be full and closed early. The beauty of it is I'm close to the 100% band and know the back roads. There's plenty of cleared, elevated places with space for parking off the beaten path. Cemeteries are perfect, and numerous.

I'm set up in a hotel room, doing some test photography (my camera filters didn't arrive until the day before I left) and enjoying the fact that I can literally stare up from my hotel room window into the sun. When you consider that I've been looking forward to this eclipse since third grade (two weeks ago, there, did it for you) when my teacher said the next one would be in 2017, I'm pretty happy with where I've ended up.

Drove down to Jacksonville today. Traffic on 95 was already ridiculous, especially around the exits to the high percentage areas. Good luck to those travelling to see this.

(08-19-2017, 10:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Drove down to Jacksonville today. Traffic on 95 was already ridiculous, especially around the exits to the high percentage areas. Good luck to those travelling to see this.

How was SC, the lake marion area, looking like?

(08-19-2017, 10:40 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 10:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Drove down to Jacksonville today. Traffic on 95 was already ridiculous, especially around the exits to the high percentage areas. Good luck to those travelling to see this.

How was SC, the lake marion area, looking like?

Don't remember specifics because I was a driving zombie slightly tired, but major exits were stupid busy. On ramps backed up in some spots, while other areas were busier than usual. I've driven 95 between Jacksonville and Fayetteville, NC more times than I can count and I've never seen it like this on a "do nothing" Saturday.