Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
In defense of Blake Bortles

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 01:06 AM by haveaseat.)

To look on the other side of the coin:

It's just practice. I mean it means nothing. There are drills are designed to be nearly impossible just to test the waters on the chance another team attempts it in real game situations and how the defense reacts. We don't know what situations Bortles is being put in. This team is being built for a strong running game and defense. We don't know what the coaching staff is asking from these players to test game situations.

The good days. There have been a lot of good days reported. Probably way more than the bad.

The defense is just damn legit. A top 6 defense last year. Now with Bouye, Campbell and the other young guys coming along. All QB's might need to be put on notice.

He's had a solid year before. It's not like he's always been "bad".

The Marrone effect. Look at Bortles when Gus was on the team and then Doug took over. Almost like watching 2 different players. Marrone comes from a strong minded offensive background. He knows what works and what doesn't. He's going to make sure to play to Bortles strengths when the lights come on. 

Practice players. Gabbert was a great practice player but sucked when the lights come on. I feel like I recall Bortles saying something when we first drafted him like the game doesn't feel real until you get hit. It's hard to recreate the intensity when the lights come on.

Feel free to list yours.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-16-2017, 01:04 AM)haveaseat Wrote: To look on the other side of the coin:

It's just practice. I mean it means nothing. There are drills are designed to be nearly impossible just to test the waters on the chance another team attempts it in real game situations and how the defense reacts. We don't know what situations Bortles is being put in. This team is being built for a strong running game and defense. We don't know what the coaching staff is asking from these players to test game situations.

The good days. There have been a lot of good days reported. Probably way more than the bad.

The defense is just damn legit. A top 6 defense last year. Now with Bouye, Campbell and the other young guys coming along. All QB's might need to be put on notice.

The Marrone effect. Look at Bortles when Gus was on the team and then Doug took over. Almost like watching 2 different players. Marrone comes from a strong minded offensive background. He knows what works and what doesn't. He's going to make sure to play to Bortles strengths when the lights come on. 

Practice players. Gabbert was a great practice player but sucked when the lights come on. I feel like I recall Bortles saying something when we first drafted him like the game doesn't feel real until you get hit. It's hard to recreate the intensity when the lights come on.

Feel free to list yours.

Qbs who might be good enough to lead their team to a superbowl win... Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Flacco, Dalton, Roethlisberger, Luck, Mariota, Smith, Rivers, Carr, Prescott, Manning, Wentz, Cousins, Stafford, Bradford, Ryan, Newton, Brees, Winston, Palmer, and Wilson... again these are QBs who are considered QB title contenders.. ofcourse you need the right mix of team and coaching to make it happen... but these are the guys. Bortles... man you aint winning a chip with him (and believe me I would love to eat crow... I love my Jags!!)

Its not just practice, its being bad for 3 years. If he had been stellar for 3 years and had this camp this isnt a conversation. Theres a precedence for this.

Also lets relax with those last two games can we. Blake didnt look any better at any particular skill, itt wasnt a different QB. It was the same guy racking up stats on two [BLEEP] secondaries.

(08-16-2017, 01:12 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Qbs who might be good enough to lead their team to a superbowl win... Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Flacco, Dalton, Roethlisberger, Luck, Mariota, Smith, Rivers, Carr, Prescott, Manning, Wentz, Cousins, Stafford, Bradford, Ryan, Newton, Brees, Winston, Palmer, and Wilson... again these are QBs who are considered QB title contenders.. ofcourse you need the right mix of team and coaching to make it happen... but these are the guys. Bortles... man you aint winning a chip with him (and believe me I would love to eat crow... I love my Jags!!)

So clearly Dan Marino wasn't good enough, right?
'02

We don't need this guy to put the whole franchise on his shoulders and surgically shred everything.

We need him to make better decisions and and simply "function." We saw a glimpse of something like this over the last two games in 2016.

Admit three things...
1. If he looked just amazing in practices, then .. well, something would be off. They either weren't working on things the right way, or ... perhaps our defense was completely lost. Anyone who is a professional at anything understands that if you practice the things you can just crush ... then you're wasting time. You want to hit your weaknesses.

2. We HAVE seen this guy make some amazing plays. He has ability and this isn't going away due to some bonehead plays over the past few years.

3. The popular thing, as of right now, is to take a smelly dump all over the idea of him being successful.

My opinion is that I think the kid can pull it together, relatively speaking. Less passes = more control, even if playing from behind. I never saw Leftwich, Garrard, and certainly not McCown or Gabbert do anything like Blake can do.

Here is to the kid having an awesome season and making a ton of haters eat crow (refills glass to brim with Cabernet).
You're Welcome.

(08-16-2017, 02:46 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 01:12 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Qbs who might be good enough to lead their team to a superbowl win... Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Flacco, Dalton, Roethlisberger, Luck, Mariota, Smith, Rivers, Carr, Prescott, Manning, Wentz, Cousins, Stafford, Bradford, Ryan, Newton, Brees, Winston, Palmer, and Wilson... again these are QBs who are considered QB title contenders.. ofcourse you need the right mix of team and coaching to make it happen... but these are the guys. Bortles... man you aint winning a chip with him (and believe me I would love to eat crow... I love my Jags!!)

So clearly Dan Marino wasn't good enough, right?

Maybe you missed the part when I said you need a mix of a good team and coach +++++ a good qb... not elite..  You NEED a good QB to win a chip period. The only question is, can Borts win a chip? Yes or no?

(08-16-2017, 01:12 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

Feel free to list yours.

Qbs who might be good enough to lead their team to a superbowl win... Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Flacco, Dalton, Roethlisberger, Luck, Mariota, Smith, Rivers, Carr, Prescott, Manning, Wentz, Cousins, Stafford, Bradford, Ryan, Newton, Brees, Winston, Palmer, and Wilson... again these are QBs who are considered QB title contenders.. ofcourse you need the right mix of team and coaching to make it happen... but these are the guys. Bortles... man you aint winning a chip with him (and believe me I would love to eat crow... I love my Jags!!)

Wait... You really think Tyrod and Wentz are any better than Blake? Wentz mechanics are just as bad as Blake's we're, and Tyrod hasn't done a damn thing. On top of that, Newton is an enigma to me. The guy hasn't ever completed over 60% on a season, his mechanics are bad, yet his run threat keeps him able to succeed. Once he starts getting older, I think he'll get worse.

Since this is a defense of Bortles thread, Rivers and Brees throw almost as many INTs and Pick Sixes as Blake.

Blake said yesterday he's taken more reps this year than the past 3 combined. Well damn man, no wonder these guys couldn't develop under Gus.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

There are many examples of QBs who've had very similar, or worse, numbers and seasons than Blake's had. Yes it's been ugly, but let's take a deep breath and let it play out. There is literally no other option so lets get behind him and roll!

(08-16-2017, 03:49 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 02:46 AM)Jags02 Wrote: So clearly Dan Marino wasn't good enough, right?

Maybe you missed the part when I said you need a mix of a good team and coach +++++ a good qb... not elite..  You NEED a good QB to win a chip period. The only question is, can Borts win a chip? Yes or no?

Sure he can provided they find a way to keep his arm from wearing out.
'02

How about thinkinh maybe Robinsons comment was just a guy saying crap cause the ball was uncatchable. Like playing any team sport and tell everyone to hit thru the infield in baseball.and.they keep popping up. Under your breath you swear at him but not that you hate him.

This year along the passes bortles has been.hitting wrs in stride, the deeps and mid routes have been good. Does any qb hit every long throw? I doubt it. He missed AR on that outta bounds but perfectly placed a 40yd over the shoulder later in practice.

Well be fine. Let the pros make the decisions on QB the rest of us can drink beers on Sundays.
Jags 4 Life

(08-16-2017, 12:09 PM)David4499 Wrote: Watch our... Too much Bortles negativity and the mods will lower your reputation like they did mine... particularly "jagibelieve".... a mod that has nothing better to do than protect Bortles Jock Strap.

I'll address your off-topic post in a PM.  Please remain on-topic.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Really wish they'd move on from Bortles but not much better options unfortunately

I don't understand the hate, he was drafted very young, he's still younger then qbs with 4-5 years of experience.

Hes got the talent we have seen it. Bradley had no idea how to bring the best out only the worst. Give him a season with a good coach and.lets see what we got.
Jags 4 Life

(08-16-2017, 01:12 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

Feel free to list yours.

I was with you until Taylor and Wentz
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(08-16-2017, 03:02 PM)realtorpat Wrote:

I was with you until Taylor and Wentz

I'll buy that I probably went to far with Wentz, it's too early with him. Now here is why I mention Tyrod. You look at the type of team the Jags want to be, which all indications show they want to be run first. Top three running teams last season by total rushing yards were the Bills (2630 yds), Cowboys (2396), and Titans (2187). I am guessing Marrone wants to attempt to run the team into the top 3 this season. You take the Qbs from those teams- Prescott, Taylor, and Mariota. 

Mariota- 276/451 , 61.2%, 3426 yds, 7.6 yd avg, 26td/9int 
Prescott- 311/459, 67.8%, 3667 yds, 8.0 avg, 23td/4 int
Taylor- 269/436, 61.7%, 3023 yds, 6.9 avg (8.0 in 2015), 17td/6int 

Pretty darn similar, and Taylor also ran for 580 yds himself. From what is asked of Tyrod, he does it well. He would fit the mold perfect for what the Jags want to do this upcoming season. This blueprint proved successful for the Cowboys as they went 13-3. Didn't work out too bad for the tacks who went 9-7 with terrible defense, and Bills were 7-9 with bad defense and coaching issues. The key is the QB needs to be smart when he throws and limit his turnovers. I expect they will attempt to use Blake in similar fashion this season. Will it work out? Time will tell. I am optimistic, but I don't think Blake is accurate enough and too turnover prone for it to work with him.

(08-16-2017, 04:27 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:02 PM)realtorpat Wrote: I was with you until Taylor and Wentz

I'll buy that I probably went to far with Wentz, it's too early with him. Now here is why I mention Tyrod. You look at the type of team the Jags want to be, which all indications show they want to be run first. Top three running teams last season by total rushing yards were the Bills (2630 yds), Cowboys (2396), and Titans (2187). I am guessing Marrone wants to attempt to run the team into the top 3 this season. You take the Qbs from those teams- Prescott, Taylor, and Mariota. 

Pretty darn similar, and Taylor also ran for 580 yds himself. From what is asked of Tyrod, he does it well. He would fit the mold perfect for what the Jags want to do this upcoming season. This blueprint proved successful for the Cowboys as they went 13-3. Didn't work out too bad for the tacks who went 9-7 with terrible defense, and Bills were 7-9 with bad defense and coaching issues. The key is the QB needs to be smart when he throws and limit his turnovers. I expect they will attempt to use Blake in similar fashion this season. Will it work out? Time will tell. I am optimistic, but I don't think Blake is accurate enough and too turnover prone for it to work with him.

However, who did the Cowboys and Titans play last season?  You can't just cherry pick stats because there are too many other variables involved.  Would or could have Bortles put up the same numbers if the opponents were all the same for all three teams?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-16-2017, 04:27 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:02 PM)realtorpat Wrote: I was with you until Taylor and Wentz

I see what you are getting at.  Bortles has shown he can put up some yardage stats but I'm not sure we are building the same as those 3 teams.  Those are 3 extremely run oriented offenses and although I expect us to go significantly more run oriented, I think it will be more so a balanced offense.  

The way I see it is you want Bortles right around 4000 yards passing 25-30tds and a dozen or so interceptions.  You want about 2000 yards rushing from the team.  We just have too many quality receivers for me to believe we will abandon the passing game as much as those 3 teams do.

Mariota and Prescott weren't exactly asked to carry their offenses in the same way Bortles has in the last 3 years.  They take what is there and avoid the big time nfl throw.  Bortles is the kind of qb you sink or swim with, if you ask him to be a game manager you are asking for trouble.  Seems to me they are grooming him to be more like Big Ben.  It would have been nice to be able to ease Bortles into his career but we have instead thrown him to the wolves, he will come out of these first few questionable years.  The question is do we stick with him or do we give him away to someone else to finish developing.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(08-16-2017, 04:39 PM)realtorpat Wrote: The question is do we stick with him or do we give him away to someone else to finish developing.

I'd stick with him provided I can be sure there's a means to keep his arm healthy season-in and season-out. Blakes got so many intanglibles you want from a franchise qb, and I believe does have the ability to even win it all as long as he's able to keep throwing at the top of his game. ...however, that's all for naught if his arm keeps going out with fatigue.

I'm glad Marrone noticed his arm getting weak in camp after so many throws as he may be able to create sort of a shot count for him now. I'm just hoping it works to keep that arm of his active clear through the playoffs and beyond if needed. Simply put, if his arm goes limp again this season I'm just about done with him. 

'02

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 09:23 AM by keeper88.)

(08-16-2017, 06:24 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 04:39 PM)realtorpat Wrote: The question is do we stick with him or do we give him away to someone else to finish developing.

I'd stick with him provided I can be sure there's a means to keep his arm healthy season-in and season-out. Blakes got so many intanglibles you want from a franchise qb, and I believe does have the ability to even win it all as long as he's able to keep throwing at the top of his game. ...however, that's all for naught if his arm keeps going out with fatigue.

I'm glad Marrone noticed his arm getting weak in camp after so many throws as he may be able to create sort of a shot count for him now. I'm just hoping it works to keep that arm of his active clear through the playoffs and beyond if needed. Simply put, if his arm goes limp again this season I'm just about done with him. 
But his arm isn't consistently good even when it isn't "fatigued", and even he knows that.  Can we define this list of "so many intangibles" otherwise?  I'm not trying to pick a fight, but really struggling to understand the upside at this point from what I've seen, and believe me I want to be wrong, and no I haven't burned my #5 jersey that I'll still be wearing tonight for what that's worth...

(08-17-2017, 09:16 AM)keeper88 Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 06:24 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'd stick with him provided I can be sure there's a means to keep his arm healthy season-in and season-out. Blakes got so many intanglibles you want from a franchise qb, and I believe does have the ability to even win it all as long as he's able to keep throwing at the top of his game. ...however, that's all for naught if his arm keeps going out with fatigue.

But his arm isn't consistently good even when it isn't "fatigued", and even he knows that.  Can we define this list of "so many intangibles" otherwise?  I'm not trying to pick a fight, but really struggling to understand the upside at this point from what I've seen, and believe me I want to be wrong, and no I haven't burned my #5 jersey that I'll still be wearing tonight for what that's worth...
I'll even start the list:

Big
Athletic
Tough
"Gamer" mentality
Nice guy - not a troublemaker

Those are clearly good, and important, but not enough.  What else?

Folks, it's really simple. To not give the guy 3-5 games into the regular season with all the new parts in place makes zero football sense. Barring a complete meltdown in all his pre season work there is no better option. I personally believe he will do well. He has put in the work.

To deny the entirety of the suckness that has surrounded this team and lay it all on BB5 simply makes little to no sense IMO. Those claiming watching the last three years as their reasoning certainly have then also watched the complete failure on the field at all position groups. Correct?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.