Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Is The Tom Brady of Garbage Time

The "it was all Gus's fault" argument is starting to look pretty stupid.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-18-2017, 06:07 AM)TealHammer Wrote: The "it was all Gus's fault" argument is starting to look pretty stupid.

His influence will be forever stamped on some of these players. You can't just take a shower and wash that funk off.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-18-2017, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 06:07 AM)TealHammer Wrote: The "it was all Gus's fault" argument is starting to look pretty stupid.

His influence will be forever stamped on some of these players. You can't just take a shower and wash that funk off.

I hope your joking but I suspect your not. 

It is a fairy tale to believe that defense minded Gus Bradley is respsonsible for Blake Bortles continuing inability to play QB in the NFL. Blake Bortles lacking natural passing ability, a natural throwing motion, accuracy, the ability to properly grasp his offensive scheme and an inability to read defenses is the reason. He's just not a good NFL QB and never was. 

There is irony that in this post so many sunshine pumpers showed up to crap on a indisputable statistical phenomenon a short time before Blake lit what was left of his career on fire. But this last post, if made in seriousness, is the cherry on top.

(08-19-2017, 07:55 AM)TealHammer Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: His influence will be forever stamped on some of these players. You can't just take a shower and wash that funk off.

I hope your joking but I suspect your not. 

It is a fairy tale to believe that defense minded Gus Bradley is respsonsible for Blake Bortles continuing inability to play QB in the NFL. Blake Bortles lacking natural passing ability, a natural throwing motion, accuracy, the ability to properly grasp his offensive scheme and an inability to read defenses is the reason. He's just not a good NFL QB and never was. 

There is irony that in this post so many sunshine pumpers showed up to crap on a indisputable statistical phenomenon a short time before Blake lit what was left of his career on fire. But this last post, if made in seriousness, is the cherry on top.
LOL

That stupid article was not only disputable - multiple posters in fact disputed it and explained exactly why it was crap in this very thread. 

Bortles is not a good QB.  And in the moment that he merely needed to show at least marginal improvement he's wilting under the big lights. 

That still doesn't make some idiot's ridiculous made-up definition of garbage time correct.

(08-19-2017, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 07:55 AM)TealHammer Wrote: I hope your joking but I suspect your not. 

LOL

That stupid article was not only disputable - multiple posters in fact disputed it and explained exactly why it was crap in this very thread. 

Bortles is not a good QB.  And in the moment that he merely needed to show at least marginal improvement he's wilting under the big lights. 

That still doesn't make some idiot's ridiculous made-up definition of garbage time correct.

Put the name/phrase "Garbage Time" aside. 

You don't think a 37.9 difference in QB rating between how you play in the first half within one score and how you play with 4 minutes left and at two scores back (and at times it was more than that) is an important stat?  That Bortles has thrown over 20% of his total career TDs in the last four minutes when he has been down multiple scores?  

If you say, none of that matters, then we disagree. 

Semantic games about what the phrase "Garbage Time" should means are just that: games. 

Bortles plays at elite level when there is very little to no chance he will win. Pressure is off. Defense loosens up. That goes a long way to explain Bortles stat padding in 2015. 

And I stand by it - comparing Bortles when game is close vs over is a sensible discussion. Saying that his former HC who focused on the defense is responsible for his current struggles is crazy talk.

(08-19-2017, 11:43 AM)TealHammer Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Put the name/phrase "Garbage Time" aside. 

You don't think a 37.9 difference in QB rating between how you play in the first half within one score and how you play with 4 minutes left and at two scores back (and at times it was more than that) is an important stat?  That Bortles has thrown over 20% of his total career TDs in the last four minutes when he has been down multiple scores?  

If you say, none of that matters, then we disagree. 

Semantic games about what the phrase "Garbage Time" should means are just that: games. 

Bortles plays at elite level when there is very little to no chance he will win. Pressure is off. Defense loosens up. That goes a long way to explain Bortles stat padding in 2015. 

And I stand by it - comparing Bortles when game is close vs over is a sensible discussion. Saying that his former HC who focused on the defense is responsible for his current struggles is crazy talk.

The "stats" you cite are indicative of a young QB that wilts under pressure. We all know this to be the case with Blake. He seemed confident early in his career and then reality set in and he hasn't handled it well between the ears.  
Those stats are also indicative of a playcaller in Olson that tried to call the game more conservatively until it was too late. 

I don't see anything revolutionary about any of that.  

I've also analyzed his 2015 season extensively.  The whole "stat-padding" line is still way overblown IMO. I re-watched every game at the end of the season and made determinations on every throw he made. I analyzed the box score, the play-by-play, and the situational stats.  His stats were padded -- but no where near the level most of these pundits like to claim they were.  He was indeed a productive QB that season despite his own decision making and accuracy problems. 

Doesn't matter either way now, does it?

(LOL -- you literally asked me to "put aside" the title of the damn thread)

(08-19-2017, 11:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I re-watched every game at the end of the season and made determinations on every throw he made. I analyzed the box score, the play-by-play, and the situational stats.  

seriously?

Am I reading that right? That table seems to be saying he threw 58 garbage-time TDs in two seasons.

If that's right, every one of his TDs in those two seasons were in garbage time!

(08-19-2017, 12:44 PM)sanmarcomatt Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 11:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I re-watched every game at the end of the season and made determinations on every throw he made. I analyzed the box score, the play-by-play, and the situational stats.  

seriously?

Yes. I did. I'm a big fan of the team and I wanted to sort through all of the garbage time allegations being made about Blake's 2015 season. 

I came to the conclusion that he didn't really have much "garbage time" stats in reality, but he had inflated numbers due to playing from behind often and abandoning the run game.

(08-21-2017, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 12:44 PM)sanmarcomatt Wrote: seriously?

Yes. I did. I'm a big fan of the team and I wanted to sort through all of the garbage time allegations being made about Blake's 2015 season. 

I came to the conclusion that he didn't really have much "garbage time" stats in reality, but he had inflated numbers due to playing from behind often and abandoning the run game.

I am a big fan myself but do not have the will or the time to analyze every single throw.    Here is what I can tell you:

1. He is awful at times almost every game.  His accuracy hovers around 59. (low for any top tier QB)

2. Going back to 2015 he was inaccurate that year as well.  The difference was Allen Robinson and Hurns were making ridiculous catches that year. The wr's saved his bacon all season long.

3. He fails to make simple nfl throws. That wobbly duck to a wide open Robinson symbolize his career.

4.  Bortles Lacks Consistency!  For every good throw he follows it up with 2 bad ones. 

5.  Going into year 4 basics should not be an issue.  He is young but how long does it take to get the basics down?  I have heard rumors he is the Forest Gump of QB's.  He hasn't proven he can read an nfl defense.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-21-2017, 05:35 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes. I did. I'm a big fan of the team and I wanted to sort through all of the garbage time allegations being made about Blake's 2015 season. 

I am a big fan myself but do not have the will or the time to analyze every single  throw.    Here is what I can tell you:

1. He is awful at times almost every game.  His accuracy hovers around 59. (low for any top tier QB)

2. Going back to 2015 he was inaccurate that year as well.  The difference was Allen Robinson and Hurns were making ridiculous catches that year. The wr's saved his bacon all season long.

3. He fails to make simple nfl throws. That wobbly duck to a wide open Robinson symbolize his career.

4.  Bortles Lacks Consistency!  For every good throw he follows it up with 2 bad ones. 

5.  Going into year 4 basics should not be an issue.  He is young but how long does it take to get the basics down?  I have heard rumors he is the Forest Gump of QB's.  He hasn't proven he can read an nfl defense.
While I think a few of your points are overstated/exaggerated greatly, I don't really disagree with any of that. 

I'm not saying he's going to ever be able to take a team to the playoffs. I don't even know if he can beat out Henne this season. 

I'm just refuting some incredibly lazy and/or intentionally misleading argument about all of this garbage time production.

And this game yet again HIGHLIGHTS that terrible QB Bortles lives off of fluffing his stats in garbage time. Plenty of sunshine boys will tell you otherwise, but if you are being honest you know it's true.

(09-17-2017, 04:51 PM)TealHammer Wrote: And this game yet again HIGHLIGHTS that terrible QB Bortles lives off of fluffing his stats in garbage time. Plenty of sunshine boys will tell you otherwise, but if you are being honest you know it's true.

Best thread on this board.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017, 05:19 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Yeah its time to call a spade a spade. I really like Blake and want to see him be our franchise guy but he is just not it. He can't throw at all. When teams stack the box that should be a qbs dream come true but it appears that he actually plays worse because he knows he should actually have the advantage. This defense had the score 6-3 in the third and even produced a turn over a few plays after Blake set them up to fail. He is not a good qb. I figured the coaching staff understood to run the ball and only allow him to throw on roll outs where he can utilize his running ability but it appears they fell into the trap of believing Blake is a qb capable of consistently beating stacked boxes.

Bortles was 11-of-25 for 89 passing yards the entering 4th quarter. He went 9-of-9 for 134 passing yards in the final period.

We have "genuises" on this board that say that's not proof that Bortles gets fat on garbage stats.

Bortles sucks. And it is disgusting that our front office made us sit through another year of this microwaved garbage.

(08-16-2017, 03:12 PM)Kane Wrote: I've always said garbage time is down 2+ scores with less time than tying or winning is achievable. i.e. <4 mins w/ <1 TO

Anything that claims all scores in 4th quarter, or all scores in 2nd half when down by 3 scores, or anything in a 2 minute drill while down by 10 or less.... c'mon.

WIKI SAYS: Garbage time is a term used to refer to the period toward the end of a timed sporting event that has become a blowout when the outcome of the game has already been decided, and the coaches of one or both teams will decide to replace their best players with substitutes.

I'd venture to say very little of Bortles scores have come with substitutes in the game... the NFL rarely does this unless in a super blow out game.

I'd guess (without reading this ridiculous article) that the majority of his "garbage time" did not come when the game was technically out of reach.
In the NFL we've seen teams score 2 TDs in 4-5 minutes of game play.
With time outs and challenges and 2 minute warnings... the time of the end of the game is stretched and a lot can happen.

Now... some will argue "prevent D" yadda yadda..
Firstly, many of us casual observers don't know the actual difference in cover 4 and cover 0, much less when some team is playing prevent D, except on the Hail Mary end of game plays when you see 8 defenders back.
So stahp.

The obsession of the fan base and miniscule reporting bloggers of harping on Bortles is getting a little out of hand.
There HAS to be actual football news to report on right?

All this could be true,, sure. I have no problem with it. But today?
Yeah,,,,, 
Down 30-3 (or was it 27-3? Idk),,, a little into the 4th qtr = Garbage Time

4th qtr today was Garbage Time, for sure.

(09-17-2017, 06:45 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Bortles was 11-of-25 for 89 passing yards the entering 4th quarter. He went 9-of-9 for 134 passing yards in the final period.

We have "genuises" on this board that say that's not proof that Bortles gets fat on garbage stats.

Bortles sucks. And it is disgusting that our front office made us sit through another year of this microwaved garbage.

Blake has had some games with plenty of garbage time.  Today's game was one of his worst in that regard. 

But he's had many more games in which he put up a hefty stat line that didn't involve much (if any) garbage time. 
In many of those games - he was just playing from behind on the scoreboard  - but the games often were not out of reach. 

It really doesn't take a "genius" to know the difference between the two. 

He's really not the Tom Brady of garbage-time. He just plays better when the pressure is off and he has nothing to lose. 

But seriously  -  who gives a damn?  The guy just doesn't have what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL. He'll be gone next season  - no matter what your definition of "garbage time" might be.

(09-17-2017, 06:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 06:45 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Bortles was 11-of-25 for 89 passing yards the entering 4th quarter. He went 9-of-9 for 134 passing yards in the final period.

Blake has had some games with plenty of garbage time.  Today's game was one of his worst in that regard. 

But he's had many more games in which he put up a hefty stat line that didn't involve much (if any) garbage time. 
In many of those games - he was just playing from behind on the scoreboard  - but the games often were not out of reach. 

He's really not the Tom Brady of garbage-time. He just plays better when the pressure is off and he has nothing to lose. 

But seriously  -  who gives a damn?  The guy just doesn't have what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL. He'll be gone next season  - no matter what your definition of "garbage time" might be.

Are you live on 1010xl right now? 63 turnovers is the worst in the league. Blake is a dumpster fire.

(09-17-2017, 06:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I think that's the whole problem here.."He'll be gone next season".. I think the majority of us realize this and also realize that except for the top 5 draft pick, this is just going to be another squandered season. That's why people are so upset IMO, that we have to ride with this turd of a QB for a whole season with the same results every game, except for that 3 or 4 out of 16..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Why the hell does Trevor Simean look better than Blake Bortles?