Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB is an open competition per Marrone

How open can it really be. Henne couldn't beat out BB5 when he was a raw rookie. He is the reason he was played so quick to begin with against the announced plan to let him sit his first year.

The only hope the Jags had this year was improvement and consistency from BB5. Without that they are doomed. Henne's suckness is well beyond Bortles. Starting Henne is the closest thing to tanking that this team could do.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-18-2017, 04:10 PM)Jagwired Wrote: How open can it really be. Henne couldn't beat out BB5 when he was a raw rookie. He is the reason he was played so quick to begin with against the announced plan to let him sit his first year.

The only hope the Jags had this year was improvement and consistency from BB5. Without that they are doomed. Henne's suckness is well beyond Bortles. Starting Henne is the closest thing to tanking that this team could do.

I think Caldwell's shortcomings in evaluating the roster and not addressing obvious areas of need (O-line, QB competition, K,) and the quality of his drafts already doomed this season.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

(08-18-2017, 04:45 PM)Tornadosoul7 Wrote: I think Caldwell's shortcomings in evaluating the roster and not addressing obvious areas of need (O-line, QB competition, K,) and the quality of his drafts already doomed this season.
Pretty much agree. Especially the O-line. Not a chance Henne isn't broken within two games if they don't significantly improve.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-18-2017, 04:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Henne may not be good but seems to be better than Bortles. Atleast he is able to get the ball to his receivers. Those two throws for TD's that the receivers dropped from Henne would never be made by Bortles.

You mean like this?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highl...14-yard-TD

Or this?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017010103...tab=videos

At least we have TC and a head coach that will at least TRY to do something instead of rahrahing and saying "we missed some things"...."we going to look and the tape"....on and on ad nauseum.

Good bye ice cream party ....hello butt kicking....I like it.

Quote:At least we have TC and a head coach that will at least TRY to do something instead of rahrahing and saying "we missed some things"...."we going to look and the tape"....on and on ad nauseum. 

We do at least, have that going for us.  Marrone's comments felt to me like he was making an example of the QB but was ready for some entire team butt kicking.  I believe that was very justified. 

I also tend to take his interview at face value.  He basically called both QBs out and gave me the impression that he is very much looking for how they will respond.  I'm very curious to see how the reps break down in week 3.

I think I heard Fred Taylor hint at this in another interview but if things keep going this way with the QBs I can see the reps in week 3 going non traditional.  By that I mean instead of the projected starter playing a half+ we may see some actual rotation and evaluation with multiple/all QBs getting a chance against the Panther's 1st team D.  I know that sets the team chemistry back going into the season but that question might be important enough to answer that it is worth the setback.

Like many others I don't think outside help is coming and I think we are going into the season with who is currently on the roster.

Was listening to Nfl radio and halloran was talking about QB options and he was sayin that despite a strong call for CK in social media Its almost a 99% chance they wouldn't bring him here because of the amount of blue blood/military in the area, even if he could prove to be better. But he said maybe management would surprise. Other than that the program essentially said there really.isnt anyone to being in, even in a trade.

One thing to look out for maybe is Teddy Bridgewaters progress. If he comes back this season and plays at a high level maybe we could take Bradford from them.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(08-18-2017, 05:17 PM)Takedakai Wrote:
Quote:At least we have TC and a head coach that will at least TRY to do something instead of rahrahing and saying "we missed some things"...."we going to look and the tape"....on and on ad nauseum. 

We do at least, have that going for us.  Marrone's comments felt to me like he was making an example of the QB but was ready for some entire team butt kicking.  I believe that was very justified. 

I also tend to take his interview at face value.  He basically called both QBs out and gave me the impression that he is very much looking for how they will respond.  I'm very curious to see how the reps break down in week 3.

I think I heard Fred Taylor hint at this in another interview but if things keep going this way with the QBs I can see the reps in week 3 going non traditional.  By that I mean instead of the projected starter playing a half+ we may see some actual rotation and evaluation with multiple/all QBs getting a chance against the Panther's 1st team D.  I know that sets the team chemistry back going into the season but that question might be important enough to answer that it is worth the setback.

Like many others I don't think outside help is coming and I think we are going into the season with who is currently on the roster.

This is the NFL.  You don't rotate QBs at this level and actually win games.  It won't happen here, especially with an old school head coach and an old school VP of football operations.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-18-2017, 05:32 PM)archer56 Wrote: Was listening to Nfl radio and halloran was talking about QB options and he was sayin that despite a strong call for CK in social media Its almost a 99% chance they wouldn't bring him here because of the amount of blue blood/military in the area, even if he could prove to be better.  But he said maybe management would surprise.  Other than that the program essentially said there really.isnt anyone to being in, even in a trade.  

One thing to look out for maybe is Teddy Bridgewaters progress.  If he comes back this season and plays at a high level maybe we could take Bradford from them.

99%?  More like 110%.  Coughlin isn't going to go down that road with Kaepernik.  He's a lousy fit for this team and this town. Won't happen.

If you ask Debbie Downer there are all sorts of options we should be trading for.  All we need to do is give up a couple of first round picks bundled with players in a contract year.

If they're not adding a QB now, odds are they'll draft one and bypass another cast-off.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:This is the NFL.  You don't rotate QBs at this level and actually win games.  It won't happen here, especially with an old school head coach and an old school VP of football operations.

Ah sorry, my use of the word "rotation" was incorrect there.  What I was attempting to articulate was that if whoever they choose to start comes in and stinks the place up all first quarter, next QB up might go in instead of giving the starter a half+ to pull it together.

In agreement with your point, neither Coughlin nor Marrone seem to have a history of that in the 3rd preseason game at a glance. Granted, Coughlin most recently had Eli and I don't remember Jeff Tuel pushing E.J. Manuel for the starting gig back in 2014.

(08-18-2017, 04:10 PM)Jagwired Wrote: How open can it really be. Henne couldn't beat out BB5 when he was a raw rookie. He is the reason he was played so quick to begin with against the announced plan to let him sit his first year.

The problem is Blake was better as a rookie than he is now
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-18-2017, 05:32 PM)archer56 Wrote: Was listening to Nfl radio and halloran was talking about QB options and he was sayin that despite a strong call for CK in social media Its almost a 99% chance they wouldn't bring him here because of the amount of blue blood/military in the area, even if he could prove to be better.  But he said maybe management would surprise.  Other than that the program essentially said there really.isnt anyone to being in, even in a trade.  

One thing to look out for maybe is Teddy Bridgewaters progress.  If he comes back this season and plays at a high level maybe we could take Bradford from them.

Why would we want Bradford? What has he ever done, besides getting injured?

Trade for Tyrod Taylor.

Seeing how they let their superstar WR go so easily, they'd let Taylor go too. He's better than any QB on our roster, straight up. Dude can run, and can throw deep. Protects the ball usually, and plays it safe. That's all we need this year.

So after nearly 24 hours, i've calmed down a bit from last night. Boy that was poor. The 1's played 3 Q's and scored 3 points. Running game disappeared completely.

Now Blake. Sigh, i've really tried not to leap one way or another on him. He had a solid season followed by an astonishingly poor one. I felt the franchise was right to give him one more shot but i really hoped the Marrone would have an idea of a schedule or routine for Blake to be on so they could see if they wanted to roll with him this season before having to use him this year. 

Now from what i've read of practice he's had good days and bad days. One of my big worries is two of his worst days have been at the 'Bank. Here's my worry, Bortles confidence is gone. Completely, he lives and dies on his last pass and it seems so do the O. After the bad throw to A-Rob, suddenly the drops, and missed blocks, and stupid flags start coming. I know when we watch Blake, we are ALL just waiting, waiting for that bad pass, waiting for the fumble, waiting for the next [BLEEP]? but is this the problem? I can't fault anyone for being done with him and i think i am but i'm just deluding myself that there is a football team somewhere in that building, but booing isn't going to make him play better, we've tried!! 

I think he may start Game 3 barring something awful again at practice but even he must know he's in the last chance saloon. See, Bortles is a gunslinger, that's what he is, a next Big Ben (hopefully) now if you go back to his early season then he too had years he really struggled. He also had those sparks that made you believe and it's been some time since Blake did that. We all know the O-line still sucks and struggles run or pass blocking and the run game looks very weak (bar Fournette). I think my biggest worry is the complete lack of chemistry beteen Blake and the WR's. The QB-WR is all about repetition and being in sync, the WR's seem to stop running their routes full steam after the 2nd series and they know it doesn't matter, you can see them having no idea when a ball is off target whether to to go and make a play, leave it for someone else. Our WR corps is one of our biggest weapons and i see other teams use 3 WR's to great effect stretching other team D's and getting mismatches but other teams just seem to be able to stuff the box against us and that stops everything we do.

(08-18-2017, 07:57 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So after nearly 24 hours, i've calmed down a bit from last night. Boy that was poor. The 1's played 3 Q's and scored 3 points. Running game disappeared completely.

Now Blake. Sigh, i've really tried not to leap one way or another on him. He had a solid season followed by an astonishingly poor one. I felt the franchise was right to give him one more shot but i really hoped the Marrone would have an idea of a schedule or routine for Blake to be on so they could see if they wanted to roll with him this season before having to use him this year. 

Now from what i've read of practice he's had good days and bad days. One of my big worries is two of his worst days have been at the 'Bank. Here's my worry, Bortles confidence is gone. Completely, he lives and dies on his last pass and it seems so do the O. After the bad throw to A-Rob, suddenly the drops, and missed blocks, and stupid flags start coming. I know when we watch Blake, we are ALL just waiting, waiting for that bad pass, waiting for the fumble, waiting for the next [BLEEP]? but is this the problem? I can't fault anyone for being done with him and i think i am but i'm just deluding myself that there is a football team somewhere in that building, but booing isn't going to make him play better, we've tried!! 

I think he may start Game 3 barring something awful again at practice but even he must know he's in the last chance saloon. See, Bortles is a gunslinger, that's what he is, a next Big Ben (hopefully) now if you go back to his early season then he too had years he really struggled. He also had those sparks that made you believe and it's been some time since Blake did that. We all know the O-line still sucks and struggles run or pass blocking and the run game looks very weak (bar Fournette). I think my biggest worry is the complete lack of chemistry beteen Blake and the WR's. The QB-WR is all about repetition and being in sync, the WR's seem to stop running their routes full steam after the 2nd series and they know it doesn't matter, you can see them having no idea when a ball is off target whether to to go and make a play, leave it for someone else. Our WR corps is one of our biggest weapons and i see other teams use 3 WR's to great effect stretching other team D's and getting mismatches but other teams just seem to be able to stuff the box against us and that stops everything we do.
TLDR

(08-18-2017, 07:58 PM)jags_r_bake Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 07:57 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So after nearly 24 hours, i've calmed down a bit from last night. Boy that was poor. The 1's played 3 Q's and scored 3 points. Running game disappeared completely.

TLDR

Don't blame you!  Smile

I'm ready for the offseason already
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I mean, he had the highest completion % last year and wasn't just a check down king. And hes lighting it up now against the Seahawks. I've personally always liked him, but like you guys said, he just has health ossues
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(08-18-2017, 11:37 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:24 AM)JackCity Wrote: So your option going forward would be to stick with Henne and look forward to the draft? I'd rather make a trade for a QB who can start and win games for us.

I don't see anyone available via trade that will turn this team around without costing us the future in draft picks.  Maybe Tom pulls off a trade, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't trade a 1st but if you could land Tyrod or Alex for a 2nd/3rd I do it