Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB is an open competition per Marrone

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 12:53 AM by knarnn.)

Guess who's career stat line this is...hint, it's not Bortles

53 Starts
59.3 Comp %
58 TD
63 INT
149 Sacks given up
17 Fumbles

Help is not on the way
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-18-2017, 12:47 AM)knarnn Wrote: Guess who's career stat line is...hint, it's not Bortles

53 Starts
59.3 Comp %
58 TD
63 INT
149 Sacks given up
17 Fumbles

Help is not on the way

And he racked up those stats being mostly conservative and being a check down machine. Quickly how everyone around here forgets that. For all Bortles flaws, at least his turnovers were aggressive turnovers trying to make plays downfield. I think people see a few of the intermediate and deep throws that Henne had last week and this and then they totally forget the type of quarterback that he is.

(08-18-2017, 12:51 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:47 AM)knarnn Wrote: Guess who's career stat line is...hint, it's not Bortles

53 Starts
59.3 Comp %
58 TD
63 INT
149 Sacks given up
17 Fumbles

Help is not on the way

And he racked up those stats being mostly conservative and being a check down machine.  Quickly how everyone around here forgets that.  For all Bortles flaws, at least his turnovers were aggressive turnovers trying to make plays downfield.  I think people see a few of the intermediate and deep throws that Henne had last week and this and then they totally forget the type of quarterback that he is.

And the fact that Henne has never once thrown for more TDs than INTs in a single season. At least Bortles can score more than he turns the ball over.

(08-18-2017, 12:45 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:40 AM)FBT Wrote: There's a reason the Bills aren't committed to him.  We are basically benching a first round pick for a more productive night. Taylor isn't the answer here.
Tyrods better than anyone on this roster and any other QB we could conceivably trade for. The reason they aren't commiting to him is because they think they can get a better QB than him who can play more conventionally. Which is probably true but not a given by any means.  

At worst he gives you a proven good starting QB in 2017 and a good person to start over a rookie QB in 2018 if that's how you want to go about it.  

Who would be your option to have at QB for this year while still having a decent chance to win games?

You keep saying he's a good QB.  He's not.  He's pedestrian at best, and certainly not worth trading any draft picks for.  If the team does make a move for a QB, and the pickings are slim, he's not the guy they're pulling the trigger for.  Sorry.  I understand.  For you, "good" equates to recognizing his name.  That won't cut it.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

53 Starts
59.3 Comp %
58 TD
63 INT
149 Sacks given up
17 Fumbles

Help is not on the way

And he racked up those stats being mostly conservative and being a check down machine.  Quickly how everyone around here forgets that.  For all Bortles flaws, at least his turnovers were aggressive turnovers trying to make plays downfield.  I think people see a few of the intermediate and deep throws that Henne had last week and this and then they totally forget the type of quarterback that he is.

Except that's just not true.  Not trying to defend Henne here because he's probably not an answer, but the vast majority of Bortles' turnovers happen on our own end of the field on routine short or intermediate passes.  If he were throwing bombs that got picked instead of what he's done consistently through his career I don't know that this crescendo of outrage at his play would be what it is.

53 Starts
59.3 Comp %
58 TD
63 INT
149 Sacks given up
17 Fumbles

Help is not on the way

The most impactful turnovers were almost exclusively on short sideline passes when not recognizing the defense.  I don't see Henne as any savior.  To be honest, I think the team is screwed no matter what unless they can work a deal to bring someone else in, and that's going to be a costly prospect.  Not sure it TC is going to be willing to mortgage the future to land a guy who may only represent a minor improvement.  

I'm sure if they are looking at their options, they recognize just how little opportunity to upgrade there is at this point.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-18-2017, 12:56 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:45 AM)JackCity Wrote: Tyrods better than anyone on this roster and any other QB we could conceivably trade for. The reason they aren't commiting to him is because they think they can get a better QB than him who can play more conventionally. Which is probably true but not a given by any means.  

At worst he gives you a proven good starting QB in 2017 and a good person to start over a rookie QB in 2018 if that's how you want to go about it.  

Who would be your option to have at QB for this year while still having a decent chance to win games?

You keep saying he's a good QB.  He's not.  He's pedestrian at best, and certainly not worth trading any draft picks for.  If the team does make a move for a QB, and the pickings are slim, he's not the guy they're pulling the trigger for.  Sorry.  I understand.  For you, "good" equates to recognizing his name.  That won't cut it.
If you care to watch him play you would see that he is at worst an average QB in the NFL. He's not just a name, his play and stats will point you towards him being a good option to start for us if you care to look. He's not ever going to be a top 10 who drags you to the playoffs on his arm alone but not many can.  

I'd be interested to hear who your options would be FBT. Who would you choose to lead our team to wins this year if Bortles isn't going to play. Someone that we can conceivably get too.

(08-17-2017, 11:32 PM)Ksimms Wrote: ive never seen a HC come out and admit that both qbs are being evaluated after the 2nd preseason game. This after Bortles was the bomafide starter of the team. No matter what any of us say about the qb situation. Marrone emphatically just stated the job is absolutely open. What does every one think?

I think it's about damn time. At least Marrone can see what's going on and isn't going to pussyfoot around. His job is tied to the team's success and he seems like a no nonsense kind of guy so it's time to get something done.

(08-18-2017, 12:58 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:51 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: And he racked up those stats being mostly conservative and being a check down machine.  Quickly how everyone around here forgets that.  For all Bortles flaws, at least his turnovers were aggressive turnovers trying to make plays downfield.  I think people see a few of the intermediate and deep throws that Henne had last week and this and then they totally forget the type of quarterback that he is.

Except that's just not true.  Not trying to defend Henne here because he's probably not an answer, but the vast majority of Bortles' turnovers happen on our own end of the field on routine short or intermediate passes.  If he were throwing bombs that got picked instead of what he's done consistently through his career I don't know that this crescendo of outrage at his play would be what it is.

(08-18-2017, 01:01 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:51 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: And he racked up those stats being mostly conservative and being a check down machine.  Quickly how everyone around here forgets that.  For all Bortles flaws, at least his turnovers were aggressive turnovers trying to make plays downfield.  I think people see a few of the intermediate and deep throws that Henne had last week and this and then they totally forget the type of quarterback that he is.

The most impactful turnovers were almost exclusively on short sideline passes when not recognizing the defense.  I don't see Henne as any savior.  To be honest, I think the team is screwed no matter what unless they can work a deal to bring someone else in, and that's going to be a costly prospect.  Not sure it TC is going to be willing to mortgage the future to land a guy who may only represent a minor improvement.  

I'm sure if they are looking at their options, they recognize just how little opportunity to upgrade there is at this point.

Of course the sideline passes were the most impactful. Those are always the interceptions most likely to be returned. However, the majority of his picks were aggressive picks.

1 - (Short Pass Off Lee's Hands)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016091103...tab=videos

2 - (Intermediate Pass Behind Lee)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016091812...tab=videos

3 - (Deep Pass to End Zone)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016091812...tab=videos

4 - (Deep Pass w/ Leaping 1 handed interception)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016092504...tab=videos

5 - (Short Pass Tipped at Line of Scrimmage)

6 - (Deep Pass at the End of the Game)

7 - (Short Pass off of Robinson's gut in the End Zone)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016101601...tab=videos

8 - (Intermediate Pass Underthrown into End Zone)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016102303...tab=videos

9 - (Intermediate Pass off of Robinson's hands)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016102303...tab=videos

10 - (Intermediate Pass Underthrown as Blake gets hit)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016110603...tab=videos

11 - (Short Pass to Sideline Jumped for Pick 6)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016111302...tab=videos

12 - (Short Pass off Lee's Hands for Pick 6)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016112003...tab=videos

13 - (Intermediate Pass of of Lee's Foot on Final Play)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016112003...tab=videos

14 - (Short Pass Errant and Returned for 6 as Blake is Hit)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016120405...tab=videos

15 - (Intermediate Pass off of Robinson's Hands)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016120405...tab=videos

16 - (Deep Pass at End of Game)
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016121804...tab=videos

I'm guessing we try to trade for Jimmy G.

(08-18-2017, 02:25 AM)haveaseat Wrote: I'm guessing we try to trade for Jimmy G.

It'll take multiple high round picks to get him. No thanks.

I think this is hard coaching, personally.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Bortles isn't seeing the field. He is stuck in his head. Allen does his job. I thought it was just he had all day against 2nd and 3rd stringers but when I saw him bootleg away from the blitz and set up the should have been winning TD I was sold. Let Henne back him up.
No pain, no gain.

Can I get my cookie? I called this after week 17 last year!

Look, you cant trot Bortles out there behind this turd offensive line if you know he's not going to produce. The guy is going to almost assuredly be cut before the team has to pay him that 19 million dollars for the 5th year option we (regrettably) picked up. If you're going to start him, you need to have a good idea that he's going to help you win. 

This offensive line is still crap, and if Bortles (the most sacked NFL QB over the last 3 years) goes out there and gets hurt in the process of stinking it up, and we get caught having to pay him 19 million dollars next year because of it, I'm going to lose my mind. 

The Jags are already in a bad and slightly embarrassing situation with Bortles. I'm not the decision maker here, but its high time someone in the FO calls a spade a spade and cuts our losses before this situation gets worse. Bortles isn't going to take this team to the playoffs, and that should be all but certain by now.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 05:36 AM by BklynJag.)

(08-18-2017, 12:31 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:29 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I guess it another losing season.

Season is over before it begins! There's always next year.

It's the #becauseJaguars way
This is how i feel. Feels like the season is shot.

(08-18-2017, 02:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 02:25 AM)haveaseat Wrote: I'm guessing we try to trade for Jimmy G.

It'll take multiple high round picks to get him. No thanks.

Stop with the picks, Caldwell misses on then anyway. This team needs to make a bold move.

(08-18-2017, 12:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we trade a high draft pick for a QB, I'll be done with this team. There's nobody worth that kind of deal, especially when the QB's in the next draft class appear to be the best batch in years.

I doubt Cleveland would go for that, but I'd be o.k. with it.

I don't see an issue trading a high pick for a proven commodity. Caldwell's high picks are hit or miss anyway.
Caldwell won't be making the pick next year. If you even think that's a possibility at this point your delusional.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

I think if you want to play Brandon Allen for most of the year....you have to play Henne week 1. I know that sounds dumb but throwing Allen in against the best front 7 in football with a dodgy line is a sure way to ruin him early. Let Henne take the beating and then bring in Allen in week 2. Clowney, Watt and Mercilus are going to destroy us, better off to scape goat Henne and then have Allen fresh for week 2 Vs the Titans.

I like Allen better because he also bring another dimension to his game. He can scramble.

(08-17-2017, 11:25 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Bring in Kap. Trade for Smith or Tyrod Taylor.

Tyrod!  Laughing Laughing
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS