Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Should be the starter

After years of failed 1st round let downs have we found our cinderella QB? Can we start him and have Henne be the backup? Bortles can be traded at this point. His play is pure dookie.
No pain, no gain.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm for it

Repeat after me: preseason. Backups. Deep breath.

Should just lock the forums from.new threads on game day until the next afternoon.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(08-17-2017, 11:17 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Repeat after me: preseason. Backups. Deep breath.

Has nothing to do with football IQ. If you've watched as many football games in your life as I have you can tell who gets it and who doesn't. The pocket awareness and anticipation on most of his throws were impressive for a guy just going into his 2nd year. I took the second half with a grain of salt but I'm still convinced he can play with the 1's and be more productive than turftarget and henndecap.
No pain, no gain.

His arm strength makes me nervous. Not that his passes are slow, but something like a 15 yard throw seems to take a lot of effort. Big plays would be rare with home IMO. If he can move the chains I guess I'd be be fine with that though.

I agree. If Allen can get the first downs and hit the receivers on some slants, then that's a start. We can't even begin talking about big plays with ANY of the QBs on our current roster.

That throw at the end into three bucks gets picked off against starters. He's playing against third stringers who are less instinctive and have a lower football IQ. If he was making those throws against the ones then sure you might be on to something, but he wasn't.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

I'm not shocked how this is playing out, but as stated above, Marrone needs to take a page out of Belichick's media playbook and not give statements like this.

(08-17-2017, 11:21 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:17 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Repeat after me: preseason. Backups. Deep breath.

Has nothing to do with football IQ. If you've watched as many football games in your life as I have you can tell who gets it and who doesn't. The pocket awareness and anticipation on most of his throws were impressive for a guy just going into his 2nd year. I took the second half with a grain of salt but I'm still convinced he can play with the 1's and be more productive than turftarget and henndecap.

Then you'd also know that Allen would be just as abysmal. I'd still rather Allen start over Bortles but Allen still has more to prove and I think you go a bit at a time. Your assessment, along with most on this board is being emotionally misled by some garbage time yards against UDFA's and bubble boys. Allen really botched his last two drives with major mistakes, he was overwhelmed and that;s against the back of the string. I think the fans (not trying to single you out) are being very hasty.

The answer is not on this roster

Henne has outplayed Allen, The more likely scenario is Henne starting and Allen being the backup.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:37 PM by Takedakai.)

Brandon Allen looked pretty good as a backup QB in the second preseason game. Sure, give him a shot against the 2s next week and see if he still looks decent. No, do not start him against the 1s in Bortles' place regardless of how unimpressive he has been so far.

What do we have to lose?

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:46 PM by dennisp3.)

(08-17-2017, 11:28 PM)archer56 Wrote: That throw at the end into three bucks gets picked off against starters.  He's playing against third stringers who are less instinctive and have a lower football IQ. If he was making those throws against the ones then sure you might be on to something, but he wasn't.

Well maybe we should put him in with the ones and see what he brings.  One thing he is mobile and If he passes as accurate as he did to night then he has more upside then another QB on the team.

(08-17-2017, 11:36 PM)Takedakai Wrote: Brandon Allen looked pretty good as a backup QB in the second preseason game. Sure, give him a shot against the 2s next week and see if he still looks decent. No, do not start him against the 1s in Bortles' place regardless of how unimpressive he has been so far.

Allen held a passing record in college and don't you think a QB in his second year should be ready to play.  He may be a gamer and I would give Henny and Allen time with the ones next week  to be sure of my decision  if I were coach.

(08-17-2017, 11:39 PM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:28 PM)archer56 Wrote: That throw at the end into three bucks gets picked off against starters.  He's playing against third stringers who are less instinctive and have a lower football IQ. If he was making those throws against the ones then sure you might be on to something, but he wasn't.

Well maybe we should put him in with the ones and see what he brings.  One thing he is mobile and If he passes as accurate as he did to night then he has more upside then another QB on the team.

What we have, is a struggling vet QB now. He just doesn't have what it takes(Bortles). When your backup comes in, who is i known backup/bust, and he looks  levels better than your starter? Yikes. I think Henne is pulling a late version of David Garrard on Leftwich, Instead is Blake and Henne. I would like to see Allen at the very least be QB2. He should get a shot, what do we have to lose? I would rather see him than Henne/Blake lose 13 games for us anyway. I would not be completely shocked if Blake gets cut, he will get the entire preseason though. He needs to shape up, and fast. I could see him benched too, to start the season as a backup. I really hope we hang on to Allen, until at least we get a QB in next years draft.

The only thing Allen has over Henne at this point is the ability to scramble. He is still very raw.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:55 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Honestly question. Why is Hennessey the automatic #2?

My phone auto corrects Hennessey and it's so damn cool, I just leave it.

(08-17-2017, 11:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Honestly question. Why is Hennessey the automatic #2?

He probably isn't. He probably practices near Blake's level, and over Allen's. What people need to remember is practice is nothing. Some guys just turn it on for games.. That was the hope and feel with Blake. Allen would be interesting because we haven't seen it in live action yet(reg. season), but there is a reason the depth chart is where it is.

(08-18-2017, 12:00 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Honestly question. Why is Hennessey the automatic #2?

He probably isn't. He probably practices near Blake's level, and over Allen's. What people need to remember is practice is nothing. Some guys just turn it on for games.. That was the hope and feel with Blake. Allen would be interesting because we haven't seen it in live action yet(reg. season), but there is a reason the depth chart is where it is.

With the historic incompetence of this coaching staff, pardon me if I don't exactly trust their depth chart.

I don't care if Allen is destined to be great or not, but he is the last potential option. We have no other options right?

Bortles is a bust.

Henne is a solid backup.

Allen is the one unknown. I say give the kid a season for the heck of it, you never know!

We are playing for 2018 at this point anyway.