Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cavs trade Kyrie Irving for Celtics Isaiah Thomas

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Surprised they would trade to their only legit competitor in east. Cleveland did well in trade IMO. Thomas isn't Kyrie, but he is no slouch.

I really like this trade for the Cavs, it gives them a ton of flexibility. But unless that pick becomes top 3, Boston will come out better in the long run. Thomas is not a true superstar at all. He is a highscoring undersized wing, and unless your Allen Iverson, that won't get you far in the playoffs. That isn't a guy you should max, especially at 30 when the athleticism he depends on more than most players is probably starting to wane.

This reminds me of the trade made by the Rockets to get Harden (except Kyrie being more proven). The Rockets had Kevin Martin a SG who had always been good at offense only, but had his best year the year before. Rockets also threw in some young promising role players and a couple 1st round picks. The thunder looked like they made out, they were banking on Serge Ibaka and Westbrook, and people thought it was the right call at the time, but long term, the Thunder lost, and they lost bad. But the Thunder were just cheap, the Cavs didn't really have a choice.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Personally, I think Cleveland got the much better end of the deal.

(08-23-2017, 02:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I think Cleveland got the much better end of the deal.

Considering the circumstances, they absolutely did. Especially having Brooklyn's pick next year. Heck, they might have just done enough to make LBJ stay.

(08-22-2017, 07:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Surprised they would trade to their only legit competitor in east. Cleveland did well in trade IMO. Thomas isn't Kyrie, but he is no slouch.

From what I read they tried multiple West teams first but the deals just weren't there like this one.

Boston has a nice set up for their future now... they better hope LBJ still leaves to LA though, cuz Cleveland could own the East for another few years.

(08-23-2017, 09:54 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 07:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Surprised they would trade to their only legit competitor in east. Cleveland did well in trade IMO. Thomas isn't Kyrie, but he is no slouch.

From what I read they tried multiple West teams first but the deals just weren't there like this one.

Boston has a nice set up for their future now... they better hope LBJ still leaves to LA though, cuz Cleveland could own the East for another few years.

I just can't see LeBron leaving for the West IF his goal is to win more championships. It is so competitive and he has a 90% chance of reaching the finals every year in the East. There is really no need for him to do battle with the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Thunder, and the other 5-8 seeds that are marginally better than most of the East playoff teams.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017, 10:49 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Kyrie is kind of like Iverson without the extreme "oh my God did he just do that" moves.   He probably uses his left hand about as good as anyone that I've ever seen in the NBA (that is actually right handed)
Boston is really securing their post-Lebron era in the East since Kyrie just turned 25 in March .... assuming Lebron heads to LA after this season.

** Update -- dang I keep forgetting the Cavs got the Brooklyn pick !!   WOW......  Has anyone see clips of Marvin Bagley III ... he'll be a 1 and done at Duke so Cleveland may get this guy ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwDQd_6BbY

Update.

They are voiding the trade. Cavs looking good for more

(08-23-2017, 01:35 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I really like this trade for the Cavs, it gives them a ton of flexibility. But unless that pick becomes top 3, Boston will come out better in the long run. Thomas is not a true superstar at all. He is a highscoring undersized wing, and unless your Allen Iverson, that won't get you far in the playoffs. That isn't a guy you should max, especially at 30 when the athleticism he depends on more than most players is probably starting to wane.

This reminds me of the trade made by the Rockets to get Harden (except Kyrie being more proven). The Rockets had Kevin Martin a SG who had always been good at offense only, but had his best year the year before. Rockets also threw in some young promising role players and a couple 1st round picks. The thunder looked like they made out, they were banking on Serge Ibaka and Westbrook, and people thought it was the right call at the time, but long term, the Thunder lost, and they lost bad. But the Thunder were just cheap, the Cavs didn't really have a choice.

exactly how I see the trade.  For it to work out with the cavs I think Lebron needs to hand the reins over to Thomas as the primary ball carrier and finally develop and off the ball game.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 10:27 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

With all the finger pointing and bad play of Thomas, I would say the Cavs have definitely lost this trade big time already. It is indeed similar to the Thunder losing their trade for Harden. That pick is gonna be less than top 3 almost for certain, and will likely be like 10th, and the players he got back look way worse outside of Boston.

OTH, Danny Ainge has really gotten good at the whole GM thing. I mean 12-13 years ago he was chronically on the edge of getting fired, but then he turned that 5th pick into Ray Lewis, and gave up half the team for Garnett, he has been golden ever sense. The perfect example of a guy getting better with time.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-07-2018, 10:25 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: With all the finger pointing and bad play of Thomas, I would say the Cavs have definitely lost this trade big time already. It is indeed similar to the Thunder losing their trade for Harden. That pick is gonna be less than top 3 almost for certain, and will likely be like 10th, and the players he got back look way worse outside of Boston.

OTH, Danny Ainge has really gotten good at the whole GM thing. I mean 12-13 years ago he was chronically on the edge of getting fired, but then he turned that 5th pick into Ray Lewis, and gave up half the team for Garnett, he has been golden ever sense. The perfect example of a guy getting better with time.
[Image: logo.png]

Sounds like Caldwell

They traded Wade back to Miami...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22369...miami-heat

Cavs having a fire sale?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Getting Rodney Hood is a huge steal. GM bron did work.

(02-08-2018, 03:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: Getting Rodney Hood is a huge steal. GM bron did work.

He really did, Jordon is very nice too. Nance is a good energy guy and they got George Hill, who actually has good size and can defend unlike Thomas. Honestly the Cav's made out in these trades, although I don't get the Dwayne Wade one, unless he requested it.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Hopefully the new chemistry works for the Cavs so the playoffs will be exciting.

I'm kind of shocked the Heat gave up a 2nd round pick for D Wade. Hopefully he has something left in the tank, although over the past 2 years it appears that he lost a step.  For a person that played primarily inside the 3 point line, losing a step or 2 makes a big difference.  I would have perhaps swapped 2nd round picks if I were Miami but I wouldn't have given up a pick for Wade, unless this was more about creating attendance excitement versus increasing wins in the long run.   Funny thing is that ESPN would lead one to believe Wade was responsible for the Heat win in his 1st game back BUT the dude shot 1-6 with 4 turnover and 3 fouls in his initial return to Miami.

(02-07-2018, 10:25 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: With all the finger pointing and bad play of Thomas, I would say the Cavs have definitely lost this trade big time already. It is indeed similar to the Thunder losing their trade for Harden. That pick is gonna be less than top 3 almost for certain, and will likely be like 10th, and the players he got back look way worse outside of Boston.

You meant Ray Allen but I got what you meant. The real heist was ditching Pierce and Garnett on the Brooklyn Nets. Danny set them up for some good years.

This team would have been borderline great if it weren't for the injuries, key being Gordon Hayward in Game 1, then, recently, Kyrie Irving. The Irving-Thomas deal was a Danny Brinks job, too; he got one of the best players in the NBA for a guy 5-9" with an injured hip.

You can bet he's scheming to get Anthony Davis out of New Orleans next.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(04-14-2018, 10:07 AM)PF* Wrote:

You meant Ray Allen but I got what you meant. The real heist was ditching Pierce and Garnett on the Brooklyn Nets. Danny set them up for some good years.

This team would have been borderline great if it weren't for the injuries, key being Gordon Hayward in Game 1, then, recently, Kyrie Irving. The Irving-Thomas deal was a Danny Brinks job, too; he got one of the best players in the NBA for a guy 5-9" with an injured hip.

You can bet he's scheming to get Anthony Davis out of New Orleans next.
I did, good catch. I agree that after a week start, Danny Ainge has been masterful the last decade. Its seems crazy now that he was one the brink of being fired 11 years ago.

Recognizing Brad Steven's talent as Butler's coach was another great Danny move. Stevens has had to deal with an amazing revolving door of players over the years and has them near the top of the league.

Also, he suckered Philly into taking the injured Markelle Fultz at #1 while trading back to #3 and taking Jayson Tatum who looks lie a star for years to come while Fultz has had to deal with injury.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(04-15-2018, 04:58 PM)PF* Wrote: Recognizing Brad Steven's talent as Butler's coach was another great Danny move. Stevens has had to deal with an amazing revolving door of players over the years and has them near the top of the league.

Also, he suckered Philly into taking the injured Markelle Fultz at #1 while trading back to #3 and taking Jayson Tatum who looks lie a star for years to come while Fultz has had to deal with injury.

Markelle Fultz didn't look bad these last couple of games, we will see if that was really a bad trade.