Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Griff's QB Draft Prospects

Earlier today I didn't have too many games to pick from. I watched QB Max Browne of Pitt and I wasn't impressed at all. He really lacked zip on his passes and wasn't nearly as accurate as I like to see. Then I watched QB Trace McSorley of Penn State. That guy is tiny. He looks like a 12 year old. He's listed at 6' tall, but if he's 6', I'm Channing Tatum. He makes Baker Mayfield look tall.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Darnold is looking good so far vs Stanford. 9-9 1 td, thats the thing I love about Darnold he is an accurate QB, last week was prob a fluke early on he throw a couple up picks but he was accurate the whole game
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017, 09:38 PM by blkhorse.)

(09-09-2017, 09:26 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: Darnold is looking good so far vs Stanford. 9-9 1 td, thats the thing I love about Darnold he is an accurate QB, last week was prob a fluke early on he throw a couple up picks but he was accurate the whole game

No kidding, this USC vs Stanford game if real good. Darnold looks more calm and poise. But that Stanford "in your face" rush game is a beauty to watch.

(09-09-2017, 09:36 PM)blkhorse Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 09:26 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: Darnold is looking good so far vs Stanford. 9-9 1 td, thats the thing I love about Darnold he is an accurate QB, last week was prob a fluke early on he throw a couple up picks but he was accurate the whole game

No kidding, this USC vs Stanford game if real good. Darnold looks more calm and poise. But that Stanford "in your face" rush game is a beauty to watch.
Is*

I know he had a sub par game last week and i didn't get to see him. Now, I'm watching this kid and I see why he is getting hype. He looks awesome! He's got a strong, accurate arm and he appears to be able to make every NFL throw. I especially love his quick release and the way he releases the ball at the highest point of his arm coming forward. I'm extremely impressed. 

On another note, Josh Rosen had another great game. He was 22-25 for 329 yards and 5 TD's. 

I've been impressed with Baker Mayfield as well. The OSU defensive line is battering him, but he's made some impressive reads and some very good throws. The game is tied 3-3, but Oklahoma has been dominating time of possession. They've just been plagued by two fumbles and a missed field goal. Mayfield has had them in position to score, but he's not getting any help. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Falk play tonight as well. 

This QB class is shaping up to be crazy good. Even though we're gonna suck this year, I'm feeling a glimmer of hope for the future.

Darnold and quick release is not something I read very often. His biggest (maybe only) weakness is his near Bortlesesque arm action.

Just call him sam blake bortles darnold

He forced that throw... INT.
 I agree, I want to see Falk too

Looking forward to watching Falk for a bit tonight. He's the only one I haven't really checked out at all.

So far:

I like Darnold
I'm on the fence about Rudolph (stares down one read way too often for my comfort)
and I don't see it with Mayfield. I like him -- but don't see it translating next level.

Wow.

Darnold continues to impress.

That Darnold loop just concerns me so much.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017, 10:30 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-09-2017, 09:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Looking forward to watching Falk for a bit tonight. He's the only one I haven't really checked out at all.

So far:

I like Darnold
I'm on the fence about Rudolph (stares down one read way too often for my comfort)
and I don't see it with Mayfield. I like him -- but don't see it translating next level.

He absolutely does not stare down receivers. In fact, the announcers in both his games this year have commented on how well he goes through his progressions, makes great reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. Maybe he stared down receivers in the past, but so far in the two games this season, he hasn't. 

With Mayfield his size is a concern. I did not like the kid at all last year, but so far, he's growing on me. Let's see how long this last. It's a long season.

(09-09-2017, 09:45 PM)Upper Wrote: Darnold and quick release is not something I read very often. His biggest (maybe only) weakness is his near Bortlesesque arm action.

I just don't see it. To me, he looks like he's getting the ball out quickly. The one hyped up QB that I really don't like is Josh Allen. He almost throws side armed. His mechanics are terrible.

(09-09-2017, 09:50 PM)blkhorse Wrote: He forced that throw... INT.
 I agree, I want to see Falk too

Keep in mind that most of his offense left via the draft last year. He's dealing almost an entirely revamped O-Line and new receivers. I'm willing to cut him a little slack until the chemistry develops.

(09-09-2017, 10:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 09:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Looking forward to watching Falk for a bit tonight. He's the only one I haven't really checked out at all.

So far:

I like Darnold

He absolutely does not stare down receivers.
In fact, the announcers in both his games this year have commented on how well he goes through his progressions, makes great reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. Maybe he stared down receivers in the past, but so far in the two games this season, he hasn't. 

With Mayfield his size is a concern. I did not like the kid at all last year, but so far, he's growing on me. Let's see how long this last. It's a long season.

I'm going from cut-ups from last year. Lots of "stare down" on that tape.
 Two games doesn't tell me much, but I hope he is getting better as you claim.   The more viable candidates for the Jags in 2018, the better.

Mark my words, J.T. Barrett will have to change positions, ala Terrelle Pryor, if he wants to play in the NFL. He's a terrible QB.

Darnold started off great. He has some great throws, but now I see why people say he plays hero ball. He just threw another int. I can't tell if it's great def. Or bad decisions.

While I'm very skeptical of Mayfield's game translating to the pro level, I am enjoying the heck out of him beating down the buckeyes right now.

Big Grin Banana

(09-09-2017, 10:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 10:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
He absolutely does not stare down receivers.
In fact, the announcers in both his games this year have commented on how well he goes through his progressions, makes great reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. Maybe he stared down receivers in the past, but so far in the two games this season, he hasn't. 

I'm going from cut-ups from last year. Lots of "stare down" on that tape.
 Two games doesn't tell me much, but I hope he is getting better as you claim.   The more viable candidates for the Jags in 2018, the better.

Agreed. I don't care who we draft. I just want the best QB we can possibly get. So far, I'm really impressed with the potential draft picks. I'm starting to feel hopeful again. 

Mayfield just made another brilliant throw against Ohio State which led to another touchdown. He is shredding the Buckeyes. it's now 31-13. I can't believe how much he has improved from last season.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017, 10:47 PM by Upper.)

(09-09-2017, 10:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I just don't see it. To me, he looks like he's getting the ball out quickly. The one hyped up QB that I really don't like is Josh Allen. He almost throws side armed. His mechanics are terrible.

You don't see that windup he has? I'm not even saying I'm down on him either, I'd probably have him just a little behind Jackson and Rosen and comfortably ahead of whoever is 4th. He has the Bortles arm action but he doesn't have the bad footwork, anticipation, timing, slow processing, etc so I don't think that alone would hold him back too awful much.

Bad pick by Falk in the redzone. It's so frustrating trying to evaluate him. The Cougars offense is based on dink and dunk passes. I wanna see Falk throw the ball down the field and maybe throw a fade or two in the endzone, but it seems to never happen. After watching him last week, I came away even more confused than I did, before I watched him.

(09-09-2017, 10:47 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 10:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I just don't see it. To me, he looks like he's getting the ball out quickly. The one hyped up QB that I really don't like is Josh Allen. He almost throws side armed. His mechanics are terrible.

You don't see that windup he has? I'm not even saying I'm down on him either, I'd probably have him just a little behind Jackson and Rosen and comfortably ahead of whoever is 4th. He has the Bortles arm action but he doesn't have the bad footwork, anticipation, timing, slow processing, etc so I don't think that alone would hold him back too awful much.

I don't even have Jackson on my radar. I refuse to draft a QB who runs 20 times a game. QB's who come from those types of offenses never succeed as an NFL signal caller. He's a system QB. When he comes into the NFL, he's gonna have to stay in the pocket and gut out some tough throws when his instincts tell him to run. It won't work. I wouldn't take him if he was available in the 7th round. 

Right now, Rudolph and Rosen are my top two QB's, but Mayfield isn't far behind and once Darnold starts to gel with all the new players around him, I think he will make a jump up my ratings board. It's a long season. A lot of things are bound to change.

I'm not sure you spoke a word of truth in that whole paragraph about Jackson...