Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Multiple posts in the same thread ( question )

When replying to a post in a given thread,  I've noticed that when making a 2nd reply within a few minutes,  both posts appear in the same reply message.  That's something that didn't happen on any of the other versions of the Jaguars MB/ Forum.  Is there a setting to prevent this from happening?   Thanks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-30-2017, 01:08 PM)D6 Wrote: When replying to a post in a given thread,  I've noticed that when making a 2nd reply within a few minutes,  both posts appear in the same reply message.  That's something that didn't happen on any of the other versions of the Jaguars MB/ Forum.  Is there a setting to prevent this from happening?   Thanks.

I'm not sure what you are referring to.  Can you point to an example?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM by Jagwired.)

I believe it happens only if you post again before anyone else does.

This is a separate post then the one I just did. edit: puts it in the same reply separated by that line.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-30-2017, 01:41 PM)Jagwired Wrote: I believe it happens only if you post again before anyone else does.

This is a separate post then the one I just did. edit: puts it in the same reply separated by that line.

Hmm...  I've never really noticed that.  I'll see if I can figure it out.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm not sure if the admins can change this, but that's just how the board currently works when you post additional replies before someone else posts. Instead of a new reply, it edits your prior post by adding your reply while putting a horizontal rule down to separate the replies. If you're quoting someone else, it puts down the horizontal rule followed by the additional quotes and your reply. I figured it does this as a space saver. 
'02

It does this to try to prevent double posting, something that is usually frowned upon on most message boards.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p...ble%20Post

We will look into it further..
I am r00t. I am r00t? I AM r00t.

Superuser found the setting for this.  I've changed it so that if you create a post and make another post within 5 minutes it will edit your previous post with the line as in Jagwired's above example.  If it's after 5 minutes or another user makes a post, your post will show up as a separate post.  Does that make sense?

The setting is designed to limit/prevent spamming.

(08-31-2017, 02:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Superuser found the setting for this. I've changed it so that if you create a post and make another post within 5 minutes it will edit your previous post with the line as in Jagwired's above example. If it's after 5 minutes or another user makes a post, your post will show up as a separate post. Does that make sense?

That explains why I don't always see the line. I was confused when sometimes I saw a line and other times my replies were separate posts.

I won't name posters, but there will always be spammers even with this setting.

(08-30-2017, 01:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 01:41 PM)Jagwired Wrote: I believe it happens only if you post again before anyone else does.

Hmm...  I've never really noticed that.  I'll see if I can figure it out.

It does happen quite often...Like if you read a post thats halfway down the page and click quote then reply and make your post it takes you back to the forum, and if you find another post a few farther down from the one you just quoted and click quote and reply it goes in the same box as your original post...

(08-31-2017, 02:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Superuser found the setting for this.  I've changed it so that if you create a post and make another post within 5 minutes it will edit your previous post with the line as in Jagwired's above example.  If it's after 5 minutes or another user makes a post, your post will show up as a separate post.  Does that make sense?

Thanks, jagibelieve!

I will definitely keep this new setting in mind when posting on the board.

Also,  thanks to everyone else for providing input in this thread.