Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Banning Opposing Fans

There was a Titans fan who was banned today that I feel was unfair. SDM was posting pro-Titan comments in the game thread which got some fans up in arms, but in my opinion it was nothing close to banworthy. Looking quickly through their post history, it seemed like they were actually contributing to discussions, albeit with a pro-Tennessee bias.

Are we really not allowing other team's fans to anything remotely in favor of their own teams? I feel like it would be nice to have fans from other teams post here and share their opinions about our team, our division, or just the league in general and this seems like that is a nice way to create an echo chamber of Jaguar fans. A little back and forth between opposing fans is also fun as long as it doesn't go too far, which I feel didn't happen today in the game thread.

Obviously we don't want any trolls here, but in my opinion, SDM seemed like a normal poster who was just posting their opinions and reactions to the game and got the ban hammer way too quick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Looking into this....
I am r00t. I am r00t? I AM r00t.

(09-17-2017, 10:52 PM)Superuser Wrote: Looking into this....

Thanks. Like I said, SDM was talking some trash, but I didn't think any of it went too far and they had enough on topic posts that actually contributed to discussion during the week that they didn't deserve to be banned just for that. Maybe they had a warning or something before though.

(09-17-2017, 11:02 PM)Tuxedo Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 10:52 PM)Superuser Wrote: Looking into this....

Thanks. Like I said, SDM was talking some trash, but I didn't think any of it went too far and they had enough on topic posts that actually contributed to discussion during the week that they didn't deserve to be banned just for that. Maybe they had a warning or something before though.

For context, do you know this person or did they reach out to you? Or did you just notice their sudden disappearance?

I'm neither for nor against banning fans from other teams, but where does it end?

We want to keep this a Jaguars forum and not let it turn into a 'General NFL' forum.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(09-17-2017, 11:08 PM)Superuser Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 11:02 PM)Tuxedo Wrote: Thanks. Like I said, SDM was talking some trash, but I didn't think any of it went too far and they had enough on topic posts that actually contributed to discussion during the week that they didn't deserve to be banned just for that. Maybe they had a warning or something before though.

For context, do you know this person or did they reach out to you? Or did you just notice their sudden disappearance?

No and no. I was reading/posting in the game thread and someone called for them to be banned and one of the mods posted that it was done.

It was just friendly banter IMO.. Was all in good fun.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(09-17-2017, 11:14 PM)Tuxedo Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 11:08 PM)Superuser Wrote: For context, do you know this person or did they reach out to you? Or did you just notice their sudden disappearance?

No and no. I was reading/posting in the game thread and someone called for them to be banned and one of the mods posted that it was done.

One of the moderators told me in a private message he banned two trolls. He read enough of the pregame thread to figure out who does not belong on a Jaguars board. VondyP and SDM obviously are not the two trolls he banned last week because I still see them around discussing the Titans with Jaguars fans.

I have seen message boards for other NFL teams that have a "smack talk" section specifically for stuff like our debates with The Hammer. If Duval Pride had that no trolls would ever get banned.

BTW I am sure this is an isolated incident because we already had a nice Titans fan, unf_nashville, for more than a year and three Colts fans used to post on the old Jungle. Then the most popular poster is a Lions fan, and we also had a Panthers fan on the old board. I am shocked this happened to a good poster who just happens to like the Tacks.

(09-18-2017, 02:02 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 11:14 PM)Tuxedo Wrote: No and no. I was reading/posting in the game thread and someone called for them to be banned and one of the mods posted that it was done.

One of the moderators told me in a private message he banned two trolls.

So you have an inside Vulcan, hm?

(10-11-2017, 08:41 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 02:02 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: One of the moderators told me in a private message he banned two trolls.

The illogical just became logical 

Hahaha

I'm in favor of banning Broncos/Packers/OSU/gata fans.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-11-2017, 08:41 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 02:02 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: One of the moderators told me in a private message he banned two trolls.

Hey [BLEEP], she said moderator not Administrator.  Get it right.  It's not my job to ban people.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

So we're limited in the number of ratings we can give another user per day, can that be turned off? It seems to be a needless limitation.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 08:29 AM by TJBender.)

(10-12-2017, 07:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So we're limited in the number of ratings we can give another user per day,  can that be turned off? It seems to be a needless limitation.

Someone's about to have a score of -29,168

(10-12-2017, 07:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So we're limited in the number of ratings we can give another user per day,  can that be turned off? It seems to be a needless limitation.

You are saying that you attempted to negative (or positive) rate a single user multiple times in a day and the system stopped you? This was a feature I did not know we had.

And no, this feature will not be disabled. Seems like a perfectly valid anti-spam feature that serves to benefit the overall health of the board. I see absolutely no reason for a user to be negatively rated a multitude of times; it would seem more beneficial for everyone involved to block the user. I can also see the same from a positive rating side, a few positive ratings is enough to get the point across.

Sometimes, someone's comments are so stupid and unintelligible, they can be the most humorous thing you have read all day. I mean so humorous that you revisit the thread multiple times a day just to laugh.. Why block that poster if that much ignorance brightens your day with that much laughter?

(10-12-2017, 10:18 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Sometimes, someone's comments are so stupid and unintelligible, they can be the most humorous thing you have read all day. I mean so humorous that you revisit the thread multiple times a day just to laugh.. Why block that poster if that much ignorance brightens your day with that much laughter?

If those laughs also draw some much frustration/anger that require the person to also make comments to that effect, it would seem to me that it's better for that person's personal health* to look elsewhere for the laughs.
Like YouTube! Just type in "Fails" and watch a never ending stream of laughter.
Or Giphy!:::

[Image: giphy.gif]

There is nothing not funny about that GIF.

*This tactic is also beneficial for my personal health, as well.

(10-12-2017, 09:29 AM)Superuser Wrote:

You are saying that you attempted to negative (or positive) rate a single user multiple times in a day and the system stopped you? This was a feature I did not know we had.

And no, this feature will not be disabled. Seems like a perfectly valid anti-spam feature that serves to benefit the overall health of the board. I see absolutely no reason for a user to be negatively rated a multitude of times; it would seem more beneficial for everyone involved to block the user. I can also see the same from a positive rating side, a few positive ratings is enough to get the point across.

It's any rating for the same user. It tells you that you've reached your limit for that user for the day, after what I think is 3 ratings. 

And that's absurd, in game day threads (for instance) we rate/like people for several hours at a time. The point is to rate the individual comment, not the person. You should really rethink this, we didn't replace the "like" feature from the old board and this would've even stopped us from using it in that limited context.

(10-12-2017, 10:25 AM)Super user Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 10:18 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Sometimes, someone's comments are so stupid and unintelligible, they can be the most humorous thing you have read all day. I mean so humorous that you revisit the thread multiple times a day just to laugh.. Why block that poster if that much ignorance brightens your day with that much laughter?

If those laughs also draw some much frustration/anger that require the person to also make comments to that effect, it would seem to me that it's better for that person's personal health* to look elsewhere for the laughs.
Like YouTube! Just type in "Fails" and watch a never ending stream of laughter.
Or Giphy!:::

[Image: giphy.gif]

There is nothing not funny about that GIF.

*This tactic is also beneficial for my personal health, as well.

I rarely get angry on here. I rarely get frustrated on here. I've been frequenting these boards for 12+ years. I've seen lots of funny. I've seen lots of sad and pathetic too. And one thing I've learned over those 12+ years is how to control my temper on these boards and how to deal with stupidity. How I deal with it, is by laughing them off. Some people block, some continuously fight with others, but what's best for me is just to laugh at them. 

Yup, I've seen all those fail clips on youtube. I watch those funny little gifs too. But sometimes, the best laughs come from these boards. If I'm not laughing with you, you can bet that I'm laughing AT you.. Yup.. I can be a real [BLEEP] and bastard sometimes, but if its only because I like to laugh, maybe I'm not the problem Smile

And yes, that gif is funny..