Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump calls on NFL owners to fire players who protest.

(09-23-2017, 05:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 05:16 PM)nate Wrote: Shockingly, you miss the point entirely.  Also, there is no rule requiring them to stand or any mechanism for them to be punished.  

BTW, why don't you tell us how smart it is that he is bemoaning the personal fouls in the manner he did?

Not one of the athletes kneeling, sitting, or supporting those doing exactly that are REMOTELY attempting to say they themselves are oppressed.  

What is going on here is something trump and his minions are COMPLETELY unfamiliar with:  

Taking a stand for those who do not have a voice, at risk of their own personal gain, to better the lives of EVERYONE.

The antithesis of trump.

You say they are taking a stand for those who do not have a voice, but what are they taking a stand for exactly? That is the confusing part. There really is no message. 

Oh, and for the record, this country was on a long path of divisiveness long before Donald came down the escalator in Trump Tower on that fateful day.

Clearly you just aren't trying.  Willfully so.

The man and those taking a similar stance believe there are issues with police brutality being ignored.  The man thinks inequality is being ignored.

He chose to take a stand via a public forum and otherwise to draw attention to those issues.  Maybe you agree with the IDEA that these are  issues in our country.  Maybe you don't.   All that is going on is people who have a LOT TO LOSE attempting to draw attention to something they think is a serious matter that isn't being taken serious enough.  For people that don't have the ability THAT THEY DO to bring attention to those issues.

Oh, and for the record, via twitter and his own voice, trump is willfully and intentionally allowing white supremacists in their various forms, to believe their acts of violence and hatred are acceptable.  That isn't just whatever day, both before the election and after, that is on a daily basis he breathes life into the hatred.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 05:39 PM by nate.)

(09-23-2017, 05:32 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I think he should've avoided it and it sounds childish, but let's not pretend that former Presidents haven't worked behind the scenes to get people fired.

No one is pretending anything.  It doesn't just sound childish.  It is exactly who he is.  

I guess the idiot's voice is not going over well with the owners and of all people goodwill.

Glad to see the NBA champions come out as well.

I thing their owner is exactly correct.  trump is the biggest asset in the county, without the E and the T.

(09-23-2017, 05:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 05:16 PM)nate Wrote: Shockingly, you miss the point entirely.  Also, there is no rule requiring them to stand or any mechanism for them to be punished.  

BTW, why don't you tell us how smart it is that he is bemoaning the personal fouls in the manner he did?

Not one of the athletes kneeling, sitting, or supporting those doing exactly that are REMOTELY attempting to say they themselves are oppressed.  

What is going on here is something trump and his minions are COMPLETELY unfamiliar with:  

Taking a stand for those who do not have a voice, at risk of their own personal gain, to better the lives of EVERYONE.

The antithesis of trump.

You say they are taking a stand for those who do not have a voice, but what are they taking a stand for exactly? That is the confusing part. There really is no message. 

Oh, and for the record, this country was on a long path of divisiveness long before Donald came down the escalator in Trump Tower on that fateful day.

Clearly you just aren't trying.  Willfully so.

The man and those taking a similar stance believe there are issues with police brutality being ignored.  The man thinks inequality is being ignored.

He chose to take a stand via a public forum and otherwise to draw attention to those issues.  Maybe you agree with the IDEA that these are  issues in our country.  Maybe you don't.   All that is going on is people who have a LOT TO LOSE attempting to draw attention to something they think is a serious matter that isn't being taken serious enough.  For people that don't have the ability THAT THEY DO to bring attention to those issues.

Oh, and for the record, via twitter and his own voice, trump is willfully and intentionally allowing white supremacists in their various forms, to believe their acts of violence and hatred are acceptable.  That isn't just whatever day, both before the election and after, that is on a daily basis he breathes life into the hatred.

(09-23-2017, 05:06 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 04:56 PM)Frailbones Wrote: So you speak for all "real blue collar hardworking Americans"?

306-232 did. Don't shoot the messenger.

(09-23-2017, 05:04 PM)Frailbones Wrote: So they should only express themselves with what's convenient for you and Trump?

Gimme a break. This was a bad move my Trump and you know it. You just defend every single thing he does because you're so far up his anal cavity you can smell his morning covfefe.

How about for starters, have a unified message of what it is you are upset about exactly. I hate white cops and I hate the POTUS isn't a message.

Strawman much?

(09-23-2017, 04:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 04:44 PM)nate Wrote: He reduces the dignity and respect of the office of the President on a daily basis.  

And he doesn't care a bit about it.  A loud mouth spoiled little brat.  It is a shame that there are still trump supporters who actually think he cares about them at all.

They can express themselves in manners they choose within the rules.

Remember when he swore an oath to defend that Constitution?   What a joke.

The bottom line is, real, blue collar, hardworking Americans don't care what multi-millionaire cry baby "oppressed" athletes think. They can continue to express themselves. Fine with me.

Shockingly, you miss the point entirely.  Also, there is no rule requiring them to stand or any mechanism for them to be punished.  

The antithesis of trump.

(09-23-2017, 05:26 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 12:42 PM)Frailbones Wrote: 3 hurricanes leaving people without homes and he's worried about the NFL and people kneeling?

Obama spent significant time talking about his basket ball brackets, late-night TV, interviews, etc. Why weren't you complaining then?

Do you have a timeline on when Obama talked about these topics in relation to national tragedies? If not, then how is this relevant?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(09-23-2017, 05:26 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 12:42 PM)Frailbones Wrote: 3 hurricanes leaving people without homes and he's worried about the NFL and people kneeling?

Obama spent significant time talking about his basket ball brackets, late-night TV, interviews, etc. Why weren't you complaining then?
Doing a bracket and calling players "SOBs" is the same thing?

(09-23-2017, 05:33 PM)nate Wrote: Oh, and for the record, via twitter and his own voice, trump is willfully and intentionally allowing white supremacists in their various forms, to believe their acts of violence and hatred are acceptable.  That isn't just whatever day, both before the election and after, that is on a daily basis he breathes life into the hatred.

You're kidding, right?

I can make the same argument about Obama and BLM (and other 'activists'). He never condoned when they did something clearly biased. Trump, however, HAS condoned white racists, but because he doesn't do it like you want him to, then he must supports it.

The divisiveness in this country came form Obama. Trump is the result of 8 years of telling white people they're racists, bigots, and sexists.

(09-23-2017, 05:32 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I think he should've avoided it and it sounds childish, but let's not pretend that former Presidents haven't worked behind the scenes to get people fired.

He sounds childish because he's childish, and this wasn't about Trump wanting anyone fired. He's just making sure"his people" keep showing up at the rallies he attends to boost his ego when Washington is mean to him.
- Bob Marley

(09-23-2017, 05:47 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 05:33 PM)nate Wrote: Oh, and for the record, via twitter and his own voice, trump is willfully and intentionally allowing white supremacists in their various forms, to believe their acts of violence and hatred are acceptable.  That isn't just whatever day, both before the election and after, that is on a daily basis he breathes life into the hatred.

You're kidding, right?

I can make the same argument about Obama and BLM (and other 'activists'). He never condoned when they did something clearly biased. Trump, however, HAS condoned white racists, but because he doesn't do it like you want him to, then he must supports it.

The divisiveness in this country came form Obama. Trump is the result of 8 years of telling white people racists, bigots and sexists they're racists, bigots, and sexists.

FTFY
- Bob Marley

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 06:01 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(09-23-2017, 05:44 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 05:26 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Obama spent significant time talking about his basket ball brackets, late-night TV, interviews, etc. Why weren't you complaining then?

Do you have a timeline on when Obama talked about these topics in relation to national tragedies? If not, then how is the relevant?

What is the national tragedy now, rj? Obama was always involved in some scandal. What's your point?

I found 11 nationally-televised late-night TV alone. He talked about his brackets every year. Who knows how many interviews he did for TV. 

But you didn't really expect an answer; you just didn't want to respond to my comment.

(09-23-2017, 05:46 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 05:26 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Obama spent significant time talking about his basket ball brackets, late-night TV, interviews, etc. Why weren't you complaining then?
Doing a bracket and calling players "SOBs" is the same thing?

Is that what we're talking about? I already said it was childish. You're talking about him wasting his time on something he shouldn't be worried about.

Is this all that much different than when Obama (on one of his late-night TV visits, rj) made that snide comment about Trump and how he'd never be President?

Look, I already agree that he shouldn't have said it. But you're being willfully ignorant if you think Obama didn't do the same kind of stuff. The only different is that the media didn't push all the times Obama was rude or callous.

(09-23-2017, 05:54 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 05:47 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: You're kidding, right?

The divisiveness in this country came form Obama. Trump is the result of 8 years of telling white people racists, bigots and sexists they're racists, bigots, and sexists.

FTFY

... and you just proved my point. 

People who voted for Trump = racists, bigots, and sexists

University of North Carolina declining to attend the white house as well.

(09-23-2017, 05:59 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 05:44 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Do you have a timeline on when Obama talked about these topics in relation to national tragedies? If not, then how is the relevant?

What is the national tragedy now, rj? Obama was always involved in some scandal. What's your point?

I found 11 nationally-televised late-night TV alone. He talked about his brackets every year. Who knows how many interviews he did for TV. 

But you didn't really expect an answer; you just didn't want to respond to my comment.

(09-23-2017, 05:46 PM)Frailbones Wrote: Doing a bracket and calling players "SOBs" is the same thing?

Is that what we're talking about? I already said it was childish. You're talking about him wasting his time on something he shouldn't be worried about.

Is this all that much different than when Obama (on one of his late-night TV visits, rj) made that snide comment about Trump and how he'd never be President?

Look, I already agree that he shouldn't have said it. But you're being willfully ignorant if you think Obama didn't do the same kind of stuff. The only different is that the media didn't push all the times Obama was rude or callous.

(09-23-2017, 05:54 PM)rollerjag Wrote: FTFY

... and you just proved my point. 

People who voted for Trump = racists, bigots, and sexists

And you completely whiffed on the point I was making.
- Bob Marley

(09-23-2017, 08:38 AM)LetsBReal Wrote: LOL.  Trump is hilarious and just an embarrassment to people ourselves. smh.   The real problem with the anthem is the fact that, we cut out and pasted the part we say during the pledge, but the negative part about slavery is swept under the rug.  

But the military feels disrespected and are passionate.....Is it the passion for only the cut and paste part, or the full meaning of the anthem?  I've always wanted to know from these "Others" who make excuses.

OK.  Let's be real.  The National Anthem is as it is sung and has been sung for as long as I have been alive.  The poem on which it is based has no meaning beyond the first stanza that we as a nation have stood for with hand over heart for the 54 years that I have been alive.  There may be some debate as to what Francis Scott Key actually meant in that 3rd stanza that until recently no one ever heard or knew of.  I do find it amazing that attorney Key whom defended slaves, the working class and in general the down trodden has had his words twisted that were written in a patriotic moment while being held captive during an assault on his county be brought up as racist some 200 years later to fit a narrow minded narrative brought forth by modern day racist.  

So I ask you, you smug [BLEEP] what do you know of Francis Scott Key, Fort McHenry or what the language and meaning of what he wrote meant as he sat off shore, captive on a ship bombarding his home?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 08:40 PM by copycat.)

(09-23-2017, 10:13 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 08:31 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's definitely out of line for our President to call for such a thing, but I see where he's coming from. He seems passionate about our country and flag, like a lot of us..

Edit*

Personally, I think they should trot the players out on the field after our National Anthem is played
, and take away their platform. If they want to platform, they need to do it on their time and not on company time.

This is exactly what should be done, though not exactly for the reason you say. It'll never happen, the owners will be considered snowflakes for dodging the issue.
I disagree.  Most level headed fans will look at this solution as one coming from the perspective that we/they don't care about your political views.  Sports are here to distract us from this stuff.  Take away the stage, take away the distraction.

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(09-23-2017, 10:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 08:58 AM)LetsBReal Wrote: I go to work everyday and I'm not forced to stand for any anthem or music.

If you were my employee and you engaged in political protest while representing my company then I would tell you to stop and discipline you if you refused. Trump is right, the owners should fine those guys for Conduct Detrimental.

No.  As much as I disagree with these protest the President needs to shut up, deal with the needs of the state and not involve himself in these matters.

Has anyone bothered to ask Trump if there are any very fine people on both sides of this debate?

I know right.  Almost as absurd as the media attacking Melania for the shoes she wore while visiting Houston.

(09-23-2017, 04:38 PM)nate Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 04:06 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Do you really think Donald cares about the NFL? He was just reminding GOP voters in Alabama that his racist credentials are still in good order.

Oh - and that Constitution and Bill of Rights? Forget it even exists. Why be bothered with it.

Remember when he swore an oath to defend that Constitution?   What a joke.

(09-23-2017, 04:37 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Again, they can express themselves on social media.

They can express themselves in manners they choose within the rules.

And can be condemned by those actions with in the rules.  Let's not forget that.

players do not have constitutional protections as most understand them.  The CBA grants the NFL extraconstitutional powers.  The draft would be unconstitutional, the salary cap, the 3 year rule etc.  In Brady vs. Goodell it was demonstrated that the specific wording in the CBA grants Goodell additional powers that transcend even previous case law on collectively bargained discipline. So there doesn't have to be a "rule" to stand.  Goodell could just declare one or call it whatever violation he wants.  

As to the president, he made a suggestion, not an executive order.  The first amendment also extends to the chief executive

(09-23-2017, 04:56 PM)My Desired Display Name Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 08:31 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's definitely out of line for our President to call for such a thing, but I see where he's coming from. He seems passionate about our country and flag, like a lot of us..

Edit*

Personally, I think they should trot the players out on the field after our National Anthem is played, and take away their platform. If they want to platform, they need to do it on their time and not on company time.

Not a bad idea, then again I think the whole concept of a national anthem playing before two teams from the same country play a match domestically is goofy anyways.  Save the national anthem for international games.

You miss the point then.  The reason you play the National Anthem when the Boston Redsox play the LA Dodgers is to remind us we are one nation regardless of our local ties.

(09-23-2017, 09:31 PM)jj82284 Wrote: players do not have constitutional protections as most understand them.  The CBA grants the NFL extraconstitutional powers.  The draft would be unconstitutional, the salary cap, the 3 year rule etc.  In Brady vs. Goodell it was demonstrated that the specific wording in the CBA grants Goodell additional powers that transcend even previous case law on collectively bargained discipline. So there doesn't have to be a "rule" to stand.  Goodell could just declare one or call it whatever violation he wants.  

As to the president, he made a suggestion, not an executive order.  The first amendment also extends to the chief executive

Facts are pesky thing to the emotionally immature.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-23-2017, 05:00 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 04:56 PM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: Not a bad idea, then again I think the whole concept of a national anthem playing before two teams from the same country play a match domestically is goofy anyways.  Save the national anthem for international games.

Better yet, why don't we just quit worrying about whether players want to kneel during the national anthem?

Oh I wish.  It is hard to ignore when the media makes it a front page story 23/7 don't you agree?