Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Las Vegas Shooting

Didn't take y'all long to move from sadness and shock to a debate over gun control.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-02-2017, 10:53 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Didn't take y'all long to move from sadness and shock to a debate over gun control.

It's the political forum.  I've expressed my thoughts for the victims, their families, the responders, the dispatchers (if any of you get a chance to listen to the radio traffic feed from last night, the dispatchers did a WONDERFUL job) in other venues.

It's a rough topic for discussion and one that can get messy.

(10-02-2017, 09:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 09:29 AM)B2hibry Wrote: It's regulated just fine but like most items in this world, if someone wants to figure out a workaround or hack, they're going to. Hence, not a gun issue, it's a human issue.

Should we at least try to make the workaround a little more difficult?

Yeah and Let's make getting forks a little more difficult to try and stop obesity.

That is being reactive towards a situation. I'm guessing you have never gotten a firearm before. There is a very extensive amount background checks and things you have to do to obtain one.

(10-02-2017, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Do you think we should regulate that a little better?

3 things you can't take away from rednecks ... NASCAR, Tobacco, and Guns

(10-02-2017, 11:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Do you think we should regulate that a little better?

That's a pretty derogatory [BLEEP] thing to spout off. Are we going to start throwing around other disparaging terms not helpful to the conversation? What's next...whitey, cracker, ghost?
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(10-02-2017, 09:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm far from a gun expert, but I grew up around guns and just about everyone I know owns several. Semi-Automatic weapons are pretty common and they have been the subject of a lot of debate over the last few years. You have to physically pull the trigger every time you take a shot. In this case however, the shooter reportedly used a fully automatic weapon which from my understanding, is a federal offense to own. You simply hold back on the trigger with those weapons and they keep firing until you let off. People can modify semi-automatic weapons to make them automatic, but if you get caught, you will go to prison for a long time. I'm not for sure, but I believe they might be classified as weapons of mass destruction.

In any case, this is an extremely sad and terrible situation. I was expecting to find out it was some radical terrorist, but instead it's some old white guy that caused this horrible massacre. What the Hell? Prayers go out to all the dead, injured, their families and all those people who were at the concert.

An old white terrorist.

(10-02-2017, 10:53 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Didn't take y'all long to move from sadness and shock to a debate over gun control.

And Hillary beat them to it.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(10-02-2017, 11:32 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: 3 things you can't take away from rednecks ... NASCAR, Tobacco, and Guns

That's a pretty derogatory [BLEEP] thing to spout off. Are we going to start throwing around other disparaging terms not helpful to the conversation? What's next...whitey, cracker, ghost?
Looney snowflake liberal gets thrown around every single day in every single thread.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-02-2017, 10:31 AM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 10:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So we pass laws, and when people figure out how to get around them, we just throw up our hands and say, oh well, no way to regulate humans.  

We're not talking about going out the exit at the grocery store.  We're talking about people getting automatic weapons and shooting into a crowd.  You really think we should just throw up our hands and give up?  Because in the long run, we can't regulate humans, so why even try?  Give up and let it happen?

This is not a gun problem.  This is a mental illness problem. 

Stop wasting money on trying to regulate firearms and dump it into the mental health field.

I agree. It's already highly illegal to modify a gun into an automatic. I guess you can make newer guns harder to modify, but for the millions of guns already on the street, there is nothing you can do. The problem is that so many mentally ill people are getting their hands on guns. Those are the laws that need to change. We have a no fly list for suspected terrorist, why not have a no gun ownership list for people who have suffered or are suffering mental issues? This would include all sales of guns whether it be at a store, gun show or private sales. It wouldn't solve the problem by any means, but it would help. In reality, there is no way to totally end mass shootings like this. If these wackjobs wanna kill people, they'll find a way to do it, no matter what laws are passed.

It was inevitable. People have a need to find a reason why this happens and a way to stop it from happening again. It doesn't take away from the sadness though. Given what's happened since 9/11, I think the shock factor is gone. This type of thing happens way too often for me to be shocked anymore.  Cry

(10-02-2017, 11:52 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:

You mean the same Hillary who lost the most recent election and is thankfully no longer relevant?
- Bob Marley

(10-02-2017, 11:00 AM)Scarecrow Wrote:

It's the political forum.  I've expressed my thoughts for the victims, their families, the responders, the dispatchers (if any of you get a chance to listen to the radio traffic feed from last night, the dispatchers did a WONDERFUL job) in other venues.

It's a rough topic for discussion and one that can get messy.

Yeah, I know, it's still disheartening when the debate can never be civil even from the start.
- Bob Marley

(10-02-2017, 12:07 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:52 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:

You mean the same Hillary who lost the most recent election and is thankfully no longer relevant?

As long as the mainstream media treats her as an elder stateswoman she's still relevant.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(10-02-2017, 11:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

I hate NASCAR and tobacco, but nobody is taking my guns. The reality is, you couldn't do it anyway. It would start a civil war. Besides, like 99.9% of the legal gun owners in America, I'm not the type of person you have to worry about. Every gun owner I know is a law abiding citizen who either uses their firearms for home protection, hunting, sports or simply as part of a collection. It's the crazy people who are the dangerous ones and they only make up a miniscule fraction of the population. It takes a truly unstable person to fire at a random crowd full of innocent concert goers, who are just out for a good time. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Biggest terrorist attack since 9/11 I think

(10-02-2017, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 10:31 AM)Scarecrow Wrote: This is not a gun problem.  This is a mental illness problem. 

Stop wasting money on trying to regulate firearms and dump it into the mental health field.

I agree. It's already highly illegal to modify a gun into an automatic. I guess you can make newer guns harder to modify, but for the millions of guns already on the street, there is nothing you can do. The problem is that so many mentally ill people are getting their hands on guns. Those are the laws that need to change. We have a no fly list for suspected terrorist, why not have a no gun ownership list for people who have suffered or are suffering mental issues? This would include all sales of guns whether it be at a store, gun show or private sales. It wouldn't solve the problem by any means, but it would help. In reality, there is no way to totally end mass shootings like this. If these wackjobs wanna kill people, they'll find a way to do it, no matter what laws are passed.

It was inevitable. People have a need to find a reason why this happens and a way to stop it from happening again. It doesn't take away from the sadness though. Given what's happened since 9/11, I think the shock factor is gone. This type of thing happens way too often for me to be shocked anymore.  Cry

It's already illegal, so I'm not advocating any additional gun control.  I just want to know how he got an automatic weapon, and if there is a more effective way to enforce what is already the law.  

Some of you don't even want to know.  I don't understand that attitude.  I guarantee you, law enforcement people want to know.

Ahhh the good ol "We need more regulation" argument...

Because regulation and prohibition works SO WELL for the US Gov't.

(10-02-2017, 12:33 PM)Kane Wrote: Ahhh the good ol "We need more regulation" argument...

Can't we at least ask the question?  How did he get an automatic weapon?  How many other people have automatic weapons?  

Aren't those perfectly reasonable questions?

(10-02-2017, 12:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: 3 things you can't take away from rednecks ... NASCAR, Tobacco, and Guns

I hate NASCAR and tobacco, but nobody is taking my guns. The reality is, you couldn't do it anyway. It would start a civil war. Besides, like 99.9% of the legal gun owners in America, I'm not the type of person you have to worry about. Every gun owner I know is a law abiding citizen who either uses their firearms for home protection, hunting, sports or simply as part of a collection. It's the crazy people who are the dangerous ones and they only make up a miniscule fraction of the population. It takes a truly unstable person to fire at a random crowd full of innocent concert goers, who are just out for a good time. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.
I don't think anyone is arguing that this dude is a stable person.

I think what most people want is to make it harder for everyone to buy guns. Not take away your guns but lets make it very difficult to get them. Even if it deters one crazy person from buying a gun because it's that hard, it's worth it.

Buying illegal guns will still happen but I have no clue where to buy them. Couldn't even tell you where to start. This guy most likely didn't buy his off the street.

What harm is done by attempting to limit the amount of guns a person can legally buy and having it become harder to buy a gun?

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-02-2017, 12:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree. It's already highly illegal to modify a gun into an automatic. I guess you can make newer guns harder to modify, but for the millions of guns already on the street, there is nothing you can do. The problem is that so many mentally ill people are getting their hands on guns. Those are the laws that need to change. We have a no fly list for suspected terrorist, why not have a no gun ownership list for people who have suffered or are suffering mental issues? This would include all sales of guns whether it be at a store, gun show or private sales. It wouldn't solve the problem by any means, but it would help. In reality, there is no way to totally end mass shootings like this. If these wackjobs wanna kill people, they'll find a way to do it, no matter what laws are passed.

It's already illegal, so I'm not advocating any additional gun control.  I just want to know how he got an automatic weapon, and if there is a more effective way to enforce what is already the law.  

Some of you don't even want to know.  I don't understand that attitude.  I guarantee you, law enforcement people want to know.

I don't know anything for sure, but my guess is that he modified a semi-automatic into an automatic. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't know of any other way. Unless he had a permit to own automatic weapons which means he had gone through a very intense vetting process already.

(10-02-2017, 12:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 12:33 PM)Kane Wrote: Ahhh the good ol "We need more regulation" argument...

Can't we at least ask the question?  How did he get an automatic weapon?  How many other people have automatic weapons?  

Aren't those perfectly reasonable questions?

We can ask the questions, but the answers probably won't lead to any real solutions. As far as how many people own automatic weapons, I live in a rural area and literally EVERYONE I know has guns. Lots of them. Of all the people I know, not a single one owns a fully automatic weapon. They are extremely rare.

(10-02-2017, 12:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 12:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's already illegal, so I'm not advocating any additional gun control.  I just want to know how he got an automatic weapon, and if there is a more effective way to enforce what is already the law.  

I don't know anything for sure, but my guess is that he modified a semi-automatic into an automatic. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't know of any other way. Unless he had a permit to own automatic weapons which means he had gone through a very intense vetting process already.

Well, yes, he probably modified a semi automatic weapon into an automatic weapon.  But I want to know how he did that.  Where did he get the parts?  Who sold him the parts?  How easy is it to do this?  How many other people have done this? 

I'm not asking for any new gun control, because it is already illegal to own an automatic weapon.