Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texans have #1 scoreing offense.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM by jradMITEX.)

(10-17-2017, 12:55 PM)jradMITEX Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 06:12 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You are ignorant if you think people are making the comparison based on race. Both players were dual threats in college, Heisman Trophy finalists (Robert Griffin won it), and able to find the end zone more times than almost any other rookie QB in NFL history. The fact they are both black is a coincidence.

For whatever reason people are comparing him to RG3, but if you examine their tape, the comparison just doesn't hold water.  RG3 was able to be successful out of a pistol derivation of the Shanahan ZBS offense that heavily relied on boots and Run/Pass options.   If you watch Watson and the Texans O, you'll see they aren't running that many boots (Should run more IMO), and he is setting up in the pocket, buying time with his feet, but always looking to throw.  Over the last few games he could have ran more in some 3rd and 5 situations IMO, but he no doubt is a pocket passer with escapability.  Another reason people are trying to compare Watson to RG3 is because of how bad RG3 went after the injuries.  It seems to be the best argument to discount what he's done now despite the lack of actual similarities.  Another thing people are missing in this is that Watson's best skill, and the reason he will be a franchise QB IMO, is the composure.  He is completely cool under pressure, never panics, doesn't get frantic.  This can't be taught its god given.  You combine that will the escapability and decision making and you really got something.  Imagine if the Texans actually had a solid O-line, we are talking about an even higher level of play potentially which for opposing teams should be scary.  The future is extremely bright for him.

You can't specifically knock for passing on Watson.  The entire NFL made the same mistake.  I will knock them for taking a RB with the fourth pick in a draft littered with good RB's. History is full of great running backs going later and many busts going early.  You can also knock the Jags for picking up BB's option which will hamstring them somewhat next year and probably kept them from picking up one of the middle guys this past draft.

(10-17-2017, 01:00 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: The fact 2017 was a RB-heavy draft does not by itself make drafting Leonard Fournette a bad decision. Nobody can watch him play this year and honestly believe he is a bust at #4 - which would be the only reason to hate the pick.

I love how everyone is saying let's wait and see for Watson in one breath then declaring Fournette the real deal with the other.  If time is needed for one then so is for the other.  

Fournette can very well still be a bust of a pick , and yes you can definitely knock the pick for the deep group of RB's, as well as the fact that RB is not that important of a position, easier to replace, and short lived and injury prone.   One of the risks of taking Fournette was the injuries, he missed games in college.  His running style will be very punishing to his body, and low and behold he's already hurt his ankle this year just like in college.  It remains to be seen how his body will hold up over the course of a season and if his effectiveness will wane and his body takes punishment.  If RG3 and VY are cautionary tales in the history of QB's there are probably dozens of RB's who had good first few games only to be shut down and injured.  Cadillac Williams comes to mind as one.  

Fournette has had a few super long runs (75 and 90) to his credit, but outside of those he is being contained.  Don't mistake knocking the pick with knocking the player, I just think there were more impactful players available there or trade down options that bring more value to the team.  Especially in the context of a deep group of Rb's.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-17-2017, 02:23 PM)jradMITEX Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 01:00 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: The fact 2017 was a RB-heavy draft does not by itself make drafting Leonard Fournette a bad decision. Nobody can watch him play this year and honestly believe he is a bust at #4 - which would be the only reason to hate the pick.

I love how everyone is saying let's wait and see for Watson in one breath then declaring Fournette the real deal with the other.  If time is needed for one then so is for the other.  

Fournette can very well still be a bust of a pick , and yes you can definitely knock the pick for the deep group of RB's, as well as the fact that RB is not that important of a position, easier to replace, and short lived and injury prone.   One of the risks of taking Fournette was the injuries, he missed games in college.  His running style will be very punishing to his body, and low and behold he's already hurt his ankle this year just like in college.  It remains to be seen how his body will hold up over the course of a season and if his effectiveness will wane and his body takes punishment.  If RG3 and VY are cautionary tales in the history of QB's there are probably dozens of RB's who had good first few games only to be shut down and injured.  Cadillac Williams comes to mind as one.  

Fournette has had a few super long runs (75 and 90) to his credit, but outside of those he is being contained.  Don't mistake knocking the pick with knocking the player, I just think there were more impactful players available there or trade down options that bring more value to the team.  Especially in the context of a deep group of Rb's.

Compare our offense to Houston's offense. Space is right about this: We don't have Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins. We also were always going to be a run-first offense with any QB under Doug Marrone. So yes, Leonard Fournette was a more valuable pick and better choice at #4.

(10-17-2017, 02:35 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 02:23 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: I love how everyone is saying let's wait and see for Watson in one breath then declaring Fournette the real deal with the other.  If time is needed for one then so is for the other.  

Compare our offense to Houston's offense. Space is right about this: We don't have Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins. We also were always going to be a run-first offense with any QB under Doug Marrone. So yes, Leonard Fournette was a more valuable pick and better choice at #4.

Hopkins and Fuller didn't look so good with Osweiller last year.  I suspect the same of the Jags WR.
2016  Hopkins  78rec    954 yds    4 tds
         Fuller      47rec    625 yds   2 tds
A competent QB makes WRs live up to their potential, a bad qb makes them look pedestrian so I wouldn't be so quick to assume the Jags WR is that much worse than the Texans.

(10-17-2017, 03:10 PM)jradMITEX Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 02:35 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Compare our offense to Houston's offense. Space is right about this: We don't have Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins. We also were always going to be a run-first offense with any QB under Doug Marrone. So yes, Leonard Fournette was a more valuable pick and better choice at #4.

Hopkins and Fuller didn't look so good with Osweiller last year.  I suspect the same of the Jags WR.
A competent QB makes WRs live up to their potential, a bad qb makes them look pedestrian so I wouldn't be so quick to assume the Jags WR is that much worse than the Texans.

Hopkins was beast before Brockweiler showed up....

Truly great WRs are QB proof, imo. Like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, etc.
But yeah... I think better QB play would probably give our WRs a boost.

Lee's drops however, are his own problem.

It is easier to crown a RB a good pick or "great" or whatever than a QB though.
If LF is doing what he's doing VS 8 and 9 men boxes, with an OL that is just OK at run blocking... one can assume he'll be pretty good for a long while.
Whereas, Watson at QB could have a sophomore slump.... once he has a full season of tape out there and teams can game plan vs his tendencies, we'll see if he can take another step or not.

I wasn't a Watson fan... it's looking like I could be wrong.
But like it has been mentioned before... we all thought Bortles was the real deal.... until we realized he wasn't.

(10-18-2017, 04:01 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 03:10 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: Hopkins and Fuller didn't look so good with Osweiller last year.  I suspect the same of the Jags WR.

If LF is doing what he's doing VS 8 and 9 men boxes, with an OL that is just OK at run blocking... one can assume he'll be pretty good for a long while.
Whereas, Watson at QB could have a sophomore slump.... once he has a full season of tape out there and teams can game plan vs his tendencies, we'll see if he can take another step or not.

But like it has been mentioned before... we all thought Bortles was the real deal.... until we realized he wasn't.

Bortles NEVER looked THIS good.

(10-18-2017, 05:29 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote: Bortles NEVER looked THIS good.

Did you watch Bortles play in 2015?

(10-18-2017, 05:42 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 05:29 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote: Bortles NEVER looked THIS good.

Did you watch Bortles play in 2015?

Yes.......He never looked as good as Watson over his first 5 starts.

(10-18-2017, 05:57 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 05:42 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Did you watch Bortles play in 2015?

Yes.......He never looked as good as Watson over his first 5 starts.

Never means since September 2014, Blake Bortles had no good games.

(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 05:57 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote: Yes.......He never looked as good as Watson over his first 5 starts.

Never means since September 2014, Blake Bortles had no good games.

No....Bortles has never been this consistently GOOD.

(10-19-2017, 12:52 AM)Mr.Scarface Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Never means since September 2014, Blake Bortles had no good games.

No....Bortles has never been this consistently GOOD.

No, Bortles has never looked as good as Watson currently is looking.

But a lot of rookies over the years have come out hot and cooled down considerably after teams could figure them out.
Watson could turn out to be legit... just don't go getting any heart name tattoos just yet.

(10-04-2017, 10:17 PM)BattleRedBlood Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 06:07 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: Watson is 1000 times better then any qb jags have on roaster right now. Texans will mke super bowl before jags make playoffs. they will probbley make super bowl before jags even have  a winning record.

As a Texans fan I appreciate your thoughts about Watson, however it is MUCH too early to predict anything like that. He has a skillset that a Houston QB has never had and it is early in the season. Lets give the league a chance to study film and game plan against his skill set before crowning him. I'm very excited about the prospect of him being the future of Houston football, but time will tell the truth.
As a colts fan I know good qb play when I see it. Watson is going to be great. He may even toss 7tds versus our terrible secondary

(10-19-2017, 02:45 PM)Jag Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 10:17 PM)BattleRedBlood Wrote: As a Texans fan I appreciate your thoughts about Watson, however it is MUCH too early to predict anything like that. He has a skillset that a Houston QB has never had and it is early in the season. Lets give the league a chance to study film and game plan against his skill set before crowning him. I'm very excited about the prospect of him being the future of Houston football, but time will tell the truth.
As a colts fan I know good qb play when I see it. Watson is going to be great. He may even toss 7tds versus our terrible secondary

That would put him in some interesting company: Y.A. Tittle, Brees, Manning, Blanda, Burk, Luckman, and Foles

(10-19-2017, 02:45 PM)Jag Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 10:17 PM)BattleRedBlood Wrote: As a Texans fan I appreciate your thoughts about Watson, however it is MUCH too early to predict anything like that. He has a skill set that a Houston QB has never had and it is early in the season. Lets give the league a chance to study film and game plan against his skill set before crowning him. I'm very excited about the prospect of him being the future of Houston football, but time will tell the truth.

I have no doubt Deshaun Watson will be the best QB in team history. But that does not necessarily mean he will be great compared to some other starting QBs. We have to wait until 2019 to see if he makes the leap, is a one-year wonder, or has a sophomore slump.

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2017, 11:18 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(10-04-2017, 11:12 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Breaking the franchise record for most points scored in one game does not make Houston the NFL's best offense. The Texans have to score a lot of points regularly to prove they are better on that side of the ball than 31 other teams.

I actually completely agree. Strange day.

Watson has improved the Texans, no doubt, but remember the Rams where the #1 scoring option the first 4 weeks before they fizzed out against actual good competition. If Watson keeps throwing 3 TD's a game, they will definitely finish in the top half, which is huge improvement, but I doubt they keep their average this high over the season.

(10-18-2017, 04:01 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 03:10 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: Hopkins and Fuller didn't look so good with Osweiller last year.  I suspect the same of the Jags WR.

I agree with what you wrote, but those were two bad examples. Dalton has played very good at different points and even now is still above average (he has looked decent even when AJ is out). Stafford is a top 10 guy, and improved when Johnson left. Jimmy Smith would have been a much better example. Cause he produced 1k seasons with Leftwich, Garrard (in his not as good early days) as well as Brunnel. Another guy that comes to mind is Andre Johnson. He made bad QB's look good for years.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

But but but he threw the slowest at the combine

(10-22-2017, 03:32 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: But but but he threw the slowest at the combine

Better check out his long/really long downfield TD passes, before using that magical combine statistic:

https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=247 to Fuller
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=302 to Hopkins
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=347 to Fuller
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=66 to Ellington
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=96 to Griffin
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=131 to Fuller

[In all honesty, I was a bit concerned his arm strength all the way through the preseason. Smile ]

(10-24-2017, 04:59 PM)cland Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 03:32 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: But but but he threw the slowest at the combine

Better check out his long/really long downfield TD passes, before using that magical combine statistic:

https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=247 to Fuller
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=302 to Hopkins
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=347 to Fuller
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=66 to Ellington
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=96 to Griffin
https://youtu.be/NXIZRehBa5g?t=131 to Fuller

[In all honesty, I was a bit concerned his arm strength all the way through the preseason. Smile ]

Watson doesnt have a CANNON.  However, his arm strength has been underrated because of 1 combine throwing session.  With Watson, his footwork is the the key.  Good footwork, he gets PLENTY on the ball and can throw the ball 70 yards.  Bad footwork, you can have weak throws.  The Texans have focused on his footwork...and it has paid off.