Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texans have #1 scoreing offense.

(10-14-2017, 05:36 PM)empty Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 03:17 PM)Thunderkyss Wrote: What is the rookie TD record & who currently holds it?

Peyton/Wilson with 26.  That is just passing, if you're including rushing it's probably Wilson with 30.

Thanks. I was just curious.
ImATexan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Other Teams in the NFL have a way of adjusting to a new rookie QB and his playing style.
Several that take off and run soon get slowed down as defenses adjust.
He's good.....right now.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2017, 05:11 PM by cland.)

Quote:HOUSTON -- Deshaun Watson threw for 225 yards and three touchdowns, becoming the first rookie in NFL history with at least three TD passes in three straight games...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400951700

I'm not claiming that he's wearing the Franchise QB crown yet, but if nothing else that's a pretty good start yea?  (Also the 3 TD mark in the record he set takes away the "garbage time" TDs that got him to 5 against the KC chiefs.)

He is good will Jags regret not getting him maybe idk next time we face them will be interesting.
No Fun

(10-15-2017, 05:30 PM)nhiverson Wrote: He is good will Jags regret not getting him maybe idk next time we face them will be interesting.

No chance. We got the guy we needed and Deshaun Watson was not projected as a top five pick by anyone.

(10-15-2017, 06:15 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 05:30 PM)nhiverson Wrote: He is good will Jags regret not getting him maybe idk next time we face them will be interesting.

No chance. We got the guy we needed and Deshaun Watson was not projected as a top five pick by anyone.

The HATE is STRONG with this one..........

You think BB is the Jags answer? Fine.  VERY few think that.   However, The next time the Jags play the Texans....they won't recognize the offense.  Just because someone takes you as a top 5 pick, doesn't mean you are one (Bortles).  The Texans had Watson as the #1 QB on the board, but they didn't think he would go Top 10.  They targeted 12 (Browns) as the place to trade up.....and waited.

Bortles is what he is.......an AVERAGE at best........QB.

(10-15-2017, 11:55 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 06:15 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: No chance. We got the guy we needed and Deshaun Watson was not projected as a top five pick by anyone.

The HATE is STRONG with this one..........

You think BB is the Jags answer? Fine. VERY few think that. However, The next time the Jags play the Texans....they won't recognize the offense. Just because someone takes you as a top 5 pick, doesn't mean you are one (Bortles). The Texans had Watson as the #1 QB on the board, but they didn't think he would go Top 10. They targeted 12 (Browns) as the place to trade up.....and waited.

You are totally misreading my statement. "The guy we needed" is Leonard Fournette. I was saying we would have passed on an elite RB who would be a game changer for us if we'd drafted Deshaun Watson instead of at #4. I don't know where you get the idea I hate Watson. I only hate people saying we should have drafted him instead of Fournette.

(10-16-2017, 12:00 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 11:55 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote: The HATE is STRONG with this one..........

You think BB is the Jags answer? Fine. VERY few think that. However, The next time the Jags play the Texans....they won't recognize the offense. Just because someone takes you as a top 5 pick, doesn't mean you are one (Bortles). The Texans had Watson as the #1 QB on the board, but they didn't think he would go Top 10. They targeted 12 (Browns) as the place to trade up.....and waited.

You are totally misreading my statement. "The guy we needed" is Leonard Fournette. I was saying we would have passed on an elite RB who would be a game changer for us if we'd drafted Deshaun Watson instead of at #4. I don't know where you get the idea I hate Watson. I only hate people saying we should have drafted him instead of Fournette.

QB is more important than a RB.  PERIOD.  If u have a chance to get an ELITE QB vs. an ELITE RB........10 out of 10 GMs will go QB.   Texans had an elite D with an Elite RB......and a underperforming QB near the end of the season....screwed it up (2012).  A season with a QB playing at a very good level....with a DOMINATING D and a Elite RB.........was cut short when the QB got hurt (2011).   

Here the thing:  Bortles has NEVER looked as good as Watson.....even when Bortles had good stats.

(10-16-2017, 02:21 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 12:00 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You are totally misreading my statement. "The guy we needed" is Leonard Fournette. I was saying we would have passed on an elite RB who would be a game changer for us if we'd drafted Deshaun Watson instead of at #4. I don't know where you get the idea I hate Watson. I only hate people saying we should have drafted him instead of Fournette.

QB is more important than a RB.  PERIOD.  If u have a chance to get an ELITE QB vs. an ELITE RB........10 out of 10 GMs will go QB.   Texans had an elite D with an Elite RB......and a underperforming QB near the end of the season....screwed it up (2012).  A season with a QB playing at a very good level....with a DOMINATING D and a Elite RB.........was cut short when the QB got hurt (2011).   

Here the thing:  Bortles has NEVER looked as good as Watson.....even when Bortles had good stats.

Are you choosing to misunderstand what I am saying?

Hindsight is a beautiful thing...

If we could have had Watson, Cam Robinson, and Kareem Hunt this past draft... we'd be undefeated probably.

(10-16-2017, 03:06 PM)Kane Wrote: Hindsight is a beautiful thing...

If we could have had Watson, Cam Robinson, and Kareem Hunt this past draft... we'd be undefeated probably.

Hindsight is ugly when all people care about is meaningless statistics. You have to look at the different schemes players are in, their coaches and teammates, etc. that affect how the rookies perform.

(10-16-2017, 03:08 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 03:06 PM)Kane Wrote: Hindsight is a beautiful thing...

Hindsight is ugly when all people care about is meaningless statistics. You have to look at the different schemes players are in, their coaches and teammates, etc. that affect how the rookies perform.

Great players transcend schemes to be real.
Coaching matters but talent matters more.

My whole point is.... you don't have the wonderful gift that is hindsight when drafting. So our guys had to do their best.
They chose RB over QB not thinking Watson would play as well as he has. Only Dabo seemed to know this kid was gonna be good...

But if they had known what they know now about everything having to do with the season...
I have no doubt they would have went another direction. But no one could have possibly known Kareem Hunt would play so well.... 
Or Watson....
Or Bortles would be so inept....
well... maybe a lot of people saw that last one... but the point remains. Complaining about what the FO should have done, after the results of other choices are starting to show, is silly, to put it nicely.

It's like seeing the winning lotto numbers, and [BLEEP] about your wife/husband not playing those numbers in particular.

Kane, Dabo also said if Deshaun Watson is not draftedb #1 overall someone needs to be fired. He was just hyping up his guy like Jerry Jones tends to do when he signs backup QBs. The only opinions that matter are those of NFL scouts, executives, and coaches.

Think about what every NFL team that needed a QB did. How many of them chose to fill a different hole instead because the best player at that position was better than the best QB, which is what we did by drafting Leonard Fournette?

I keep reading "Remember RG3?". People are lazy. They see a QB that has mobility and is BLACK, and they pigeon-hole them as all the same. RG3 was never a pocket passer. When he came into the NFL....he was a runner first. Watson has been a pocket passer all thru college. He threw for 400 yards against Alabama 2 years in a row in the NC game.....beat them once, should have done it twice. Watson is a "smart" runner. He protects himself. Look at his rushing stats per game. 3 -5 runs per game.....usually on scrambles after plays break down.

(10-16-2017, 06:05 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote: I keep reading "Remember RG3?".  People are lazy.  They see a QB that has mobility and is BLACK, and they pigeon-hole them as all the same.  RG3 was never a pocket passer.  When he came into the NFL....he was a runner first.  Watson has been a pocket passer all thru college.  He threw for 400 yards against Alabama 2 years in a row in the NC game.....beat them once, should have done it twice.  Watson is a "smart" runner.  He protects himself.  Look at his rushing stats per game.  3 -5 runs per game.....usually on scrambles after plays break down.

You are ignorant if you think people are making the comparison based on race. Both players were dual threats in college, Heisman Trophy finalists (Robert Griffin won it), and able to find the end zone more times than almost any other rookie QB in NFL history. The fact they are both black is a coincidence.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017, 12:58 PM by jradMITEX.)

(10-16-2017, 06:12 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 06:05 PM)Mr.Scarface Wrote: I keep reading "Remember RG3?".  People are lazy.  They see a QB that has mobility and is BLACK, and they pigeon-hole them as all the same.  RG3 was never a pocket passer.  When he came into the NFL....he was a runner first.  Watson has been a pocket passer all thru college.  He threw for 400 yards against Alabama 2 years in a row in the NC game.....beat them once, should have done it twice.  Watson is a "smart" runner.  He protects himself.  Look at his rushing stats per game.  3 -5 runs per game.....usually on scrambles after plays break down.

You are ignorant if you think people are making the comparison based on race. Both players were dual threats in college, Heisman Trophy finalists (Robert Griffin won it), and able to find the end zone more times than almost any other rookie QB in NFL history. The fact they are both black is a coincidence.

For whatever reason people are comparing him to RG3, but if you examine their tape, the comparison just doesn't hold water.  RG3 was able to be successful out of a pistol derivation of the Shanahan ZBS offense that heavily relied on boots and Run/Pass options.   If you watch Watson and the Texans O, you'll see they aren't running that many boots (Should run more IMO), and he is setting up in the pocket, buying time with his feet, but always looking to throw.  Over the last few games he could have ran more in some 3rd and 5 situations IMO, but he no doubt is a pocket passer with escapability.  Another reason people are trying to compare Watson to RG3 is because of how bad RG3 went after the injuries.  It seems to be the best argument to discount what he's done now despite the lack of actual similarities.  Another thing people are missing in this is that Watson's best skill, and the reason he will be a franchise QB IMO, is the composure.  He is completely cool under pressure, never panics, doesn't get frantic.  This can't be taught its god given.  You combine that will the escapability and decision making and you really got something. Imagine if the Texans actually had a solid O-line, we are talking about an even higher level of play potentially which for opposing teams should be scary. The future is extremely bright for him.

You can't specifically knock for passing on Watson.  The entire NFL made the same mistake.  I will knock them for taking a RB with the fourth pick in a draft littered with good RB's. History is full of great running backs going later and many busts going early.  You can also knock the Jags for picking up BB's option which will hamstring them somewhat next year and probably kept them from picking up one of the middle guys this past draft.

The fact 2017 was a RB-heavy draft does not by itself make drafting Leonard Fournette a bad decision. Nobody can watch him play this year and honestly believe he is a bust at #4 - which would be the only reason to hate the pick.

Fournette was well worth the fourth round pick back in April. He's been everything that he was advertised to be and then some. He officially now has the top two fastest plays on the football field this year. And that's impressive all on it's own when you consider how many great athletes play in the NFL with top quality speed that probably weigh anywhere between 20 - 30 pounds lighter than him at a less taxing position physically.

As far as Watson? Yeah. He looks good now. But so did Vince Young and RGIII as rookies. Give it time. The NFL will catch up to him at some point. It always does. We'll eventually get our QB. I still think overall the 2018 QB class is a lot more talented, it has a lot more players with higher ceilings and it offers more starter ready type passers.

All of this talk about Watson is mute next year if they manage to land a QB like Cousins for the long haul or Brees, Manning or Rivers for the short term while drafting a guy like Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson or Darnold to groom up behind them.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-17-2017, 01:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Fournette was well worth the fourth round pick back in April. He's been everything that he was advertised to be and then some. He officially now has the top two fastest plays on the football field this year. And that's impressive all on it's own when you consider how many great athletes play in the NFL with top quality speed that probably weigh anywhere between 20 - 30 pounds lighter than him at a less taxing position physically.

As far as Watson? Yeah. He looks good now. But so did Vince Young and RGIII as rookies. Give it time. The NFL will catch up to him at some point. It always does. We'll eventually get our QB. I still think overall the 2018 QB class is a lot more talented, it has a lot more players with higher ceilings and it offers more starter ready type passers.

All of this talk about Watson is mute next year if they manage to land a QB like Cousins for the long haul or Brees, Manning or Rivers for the short term while drafting a guy like Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson or Darnold to groom up behind them.

All the talk about Watson will be muted if we draft a QB. Forget about Tom Coughlin trying to bring in a QB on the wrong side of 30 or Kirk Cousins wanting less money to play here.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017, 02:02 PM by Mr.Scarface.)

(10-17-2017, 01:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Fournette was well worth the fourth round pick back in April. He's been everything that he was advertised to be and then some. He officially now has the top two fastest plays on the football field this year. And that's impressive all on it's own when you consider how many great athletes play in the NFL with top quality speed that probably weigh anywhere between 20 - 30 pounds lighter than him at a less taxing position physically.

*SIGH*.
Again.....BLACK, Mobilie QBs.   Vince Young was immature and was NEVER a pocket passer.  Same with RG3.  Come on.....stop being lazy.  Watson compares more to Rodgers than anyone else in the league.  He doesn't have Rodgers' cannon Arm, but he seems to have Rodgers ability to see the field and extend the play.  Runs when necessary.  He also doesn't have fear throwing into tight spaces..........

People trying to discount Watson keep throwing RG3 out there. RG3 was NEVER this good throwing the ball (20 TDs-5ints -7TDs rushing.. were RG3's stats throwing the ball/running...rookie year). Watson has 15 TD (2 rushing), 5 Ints (1 was a hail mary attempt) in 4 1/2 games. He leads the league in TD passes. Also, RG3 had like 860 yards rushing on 248 attempts (something like that). You won't see Watson with anywhere close to 100 attempt this year. Stop trying to compare his to the random Black QB who could run.....geez.