Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump's Merit System

(10-12-2017, 12:41 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No one has actually said how the merit system is racist. They’re pretty much all responses that acknowledge how we aren’t getting the best from other countries, but it’s racist to do anything about it.

It's certainly not an intentionally racist system, although you may need some oversight to ensure racism never creeps in.

My issue with the whole merit system idea is more that it seems to go against what America stands for and has been in terms of immigration. We've always been the melting pot where anyone can come in and have a shot at the American dream. Often we see people with nothing and no merit to speak of, come in and manage to make a good, productive living for themselves. To start only looking for the best and brightest to join our nation takes from what we're really about.

Mind you I'm as conservative as it gets, and I love most everything Trump is doing even though he is kind of goofy for a POTUS. The man is actually a bonafide genius and at his heart is making it his purpose to do everything he can to make life better for all legal Americans. I don't fault his heart in this matter, or his logic, regarding the proposed merit system, but I see red flags when I think about this. It doesn't quite pass my gut check. It's just not what our nation has always been about.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-14-2017, 10:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: FSG's "Merit" System:

Female: 2 points
Identifies as Female: 2 points
Hetero:   2 points   Bi: 5 points   Homo: DQ'd
Age 18 to 26: 1 point    27 to 39: 2 points   40 to 49: 1 point
Blonde: 1 point    Brunette: 2 points     Redhead: 5 points
4'6 to 5'4: 1 point     5'5 to 7'0: 2 points
BMI - 14 to 25: 2 points    BMI - 25+: 1 point
IQ/EQ <80: 1 point   >80: 2 points   >120: 5 points
Highest level of education: HS: 1 point   College: 2 points  Grad School: 2 points Medical School: 10 points
Looks/Complexion - Standard 10 point scale

Like the used car dealership, all applications accepted.

Minimum score required: 25.

I hear you about the redheads... my wife is a ginger, and I assure you the rumors are true. Wink

'02

(10-14-2017, 06:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 01:45 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: people taste like chicken so you just need some good ole cajun recipes.

actually, the Jeffrey Dahmer recipe book is finally out.

Banana ..... worked really hard on that equation ....

Actually, they supposedly taste like pork. The natives in the Pacific Islands who practiced cannibalism, called human meat "long pig," because of it's similarity to pork. I'd probably use a good barbecue sauce and a nice dry rub if you were going to engage in such dining habits.   Wink

I recall one show about an African tribe where they also made the comparison to pork. As I recall it was a punishment for horrendous crimes claiming they didn't deserve a burial.

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-13-2018, 07:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 12:41 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No one has actually said how the merit system is racist. They’re pretty much all responses that acknowledge how we aren’t getting the best from other countries, but it’s racist to do anything about it.

It's certainly not an intentionally racist system, although you may need some oversight to ensure racism never creeps in.

My issue with the whole merit system idea is more that it seems to go against what America stands for and has been in terms of immigration. We've always been the melting pot where anyone can come in and have a shot at the American dream. Often we see people with nothing and no merit to speak of, come in and manage to make a good, productive living for themselves. To start only looking for the best and brightest to join our nation takes from what we're really about.

Mind you I'm as conservative as it gets, and I love most everything Trump is doing even though he is kind of goofy for a POTUS. The man is actually a bonafide genius and at his heart is making it his purpose to do everything he can to make life better for all legal Americans. I don't fault his heart in this matter, or his logic, regarding the proposed merit system, but I see red flags when I think about this. It doesn't quite pass my gut check. It's just not what our nation has always been about.

I am in favor of more legal immigration.   Unemployment is low, and we've added massive stimulus with the tax cut, not to mention if we pass an infrastructure plan.  We need people to do these jobs. 

Also, we have thousands and thousands of gifted university students to whom we give an incredible education, and who would like to stay in the US, but they can't because of our current immigration policies.

We need to fill jobs from the lowest skill level to the highest.   If unemployment is actually 4%, then economic growth would mean we are going to be very short of labor in the next decade.

(02-13-2018, 08:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 07:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

I am in favor of more legal immigration.   Unemployment is low, and we've added massive stimulus with the tax cut, not to mention if we pass an infrastructure plan.  We need people to do these jobs. 

Also, we have thousands and thousands of gifted university students to whom we give an incredible education, and who would like to stay in the US, but they can't because of our current immigration policies.

We need to fill jobs from the lowest skill level to the highest.   If unemployment is actually 4%, then economic growth would mean we are going to be very short of labor in the next decade.

I totally agree. I was unemployed a lot during Obama's time in office, but now I'm employed with agencies constantly hounding me asking if I need a job. It seems the only ones who are currently unemployed are those either very recently unemployed or who those who want to remain unemployed.

Then again, there may be a ready supply of labor among welfare recipients who should be weaned off the system. 

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!