Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade for Eli?

It’s hard to understand why most are against something like this. If the cost is a pair of first rounders then no way. But a 2018 third and a conditional 19 that can max out at a third rounder is a no brained to me. You still can draft a qb for the future and still grab some talent in the second round as well as countie to draft in 19 with your qb learning behind a 2 time Super Bowl champ and Super Bowl mvp.

He would still only throw the ball 20-30 times a game. It would be the same game plan just a better arm for the simple stuff.

Obviously this is all speculation but it would make this team an instant contender for at least the conference championship.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 12:06 PM by JNev.)

Can you imagine anyone saying "Lets get Case Keenum to upgrade our QB position" even 3 weeks ago? A couple of okay games doesn't change his career. When it comes to not wasting cap space on a QB and using it on things like OLBs... Jeez, QB is like the most important position in all of sports! The Packers would be in contention for a top 5 pick if Bortles was their QB

(10-12-2017, 12:06 PM)JNev Wrote: Can you imagine anyone saying "Lets get Case Keenum to upgrade our QB position" even 3 weeks ago? A couple of okay games doesn't change his career. When it comes to not wasting cap space on a QB and using it on things like OLBs... Jeez, QB is like the most important position in all of sports! The Packers would be in contention for a top 5 pick if Bortles was their QB

If Bortles was the Packers QB they would probably be winless right now

(10-12-2017, 11:44 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm starting to lean toward the idea of using the cap to retain current talent.

That means going for a mid-tier-short-term QB (like Keenum) and drafting a rookie that would start in year two, or even after the bye-week of his rookie year. 

Case Keenum is Rob Johnson reborn. Solid fill-in guy, disaster as a full time starter. He's better than Bortles or Henne, but, I mean, so's Y. A. Tittle. And he's, you know, dead.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 03:51 PM by FreeAgent01.)

(10-12-2017, 12:04 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: It’s hard to understand why most are against something like this. If the cost is a pair of first rounders then no way. But a 2018 third and a conditional 19 that can max out at a third rounder is a no brained to me. You still can draft a qb for the future and still grab some talent in the second round as well as countie to draft in 19 with your qb learning behind a 2 time Super Bowl champ and Super Bowl mvp.

He would still only throw the ball 20-30 times a game. It would be the same game plan just a better arm for the simple stuff.

Obviously this is all speculation but it would make this team an instant contender for at least the conference championship.

Because it's debatable whether Eli is even better than Blake. Even if he is, many believe it's only marginally where at least Blake has shown glimpses occasionally of being a young franchise quarterback.

Let's assume Eli is much better, but not elite. We have a very young defense with most of the players either on rookie deals or locked up long term. The window of opportunity for this defense isn't only this year. This defense will be good for several years at the least. Why mortgage future picks that could be used to help a future quarterback just to get an aging, expensive quarterback for a year or two that would still not put as anywhere near being Super Bowl favorites? Bringing in Eli would seriously hinder any ability of upgrading a depleted offense that lacks a lot of talent.

(10-12-2017, 03:50 PM)IFreeAgent01 Wrote: I
(10-12-2017, 12:04 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: It’s hard to understand why most are against something like this. If the cost is a pair of first rounders then no way. But a 2018 third and a conditional 19 that can max out at a third rounder is a no brained to me. You still can draft a qb for the future and still grab some talent in the second round as well as countie to draft in 19 with your qb learning behind a 2 time Super Bowl champ and Super Bowl mvp.

Because it's debatable whether Eli is even better than Blake.  Even if he is, many believe it's only marginally where at least Blake has shown glimpses occasionally of being a young franchise quarterback.  

Let's assume Eli is much better, but not elite.  We have a very young defense with most of the players either on rookie deals or locked up long term.  The window of opportunity for this defense isn't only this year.  This defense will be good for several years at the least.  Why mortgage future picks that could be used to help a future quarterback just to get an aging, expensive quarterback for a year or two that would still not put as anywhere near being Super Bowl favorites?  Bringing in Eli would seriously hinder any ability of upgrading a depleted offense that lacks a lot of talent.

That’s the thing, we are talking about 2 3rd rounders. Not first round picks. This roster is to a point where 3 round players are back up. The talent level on this team is loaded. You wouldn’t be mortgaging anything. You can still draft a qb in thfirst first round next year and add to the offense in the second round and still have your 4th round pick on down. Now if the price is two first round picks of course not but this is literally a win win. We can upgrade the position that gives us immediate success as well as still make moves for long term viability at the position. Isn’t no one or the other. 

I  think a lot of us have been brainwashed by Vic from years ago. If the price is right a trade like this is exactly what this team should do. We have to stop saying another player is not better than one of ours just cause lol. Eli Manning is not marginally better than Blake in my opinion. Eli is at minimum at top 12-13 qb in this league. He would greatly improve the production at the qb position. 

How many great qbs are struggling this year because their teams suck? The giants just won 11 games last year. Eli isn’t looking Peyton Manning bad right now. That team just sucks. The days of dominant qb teams just winning it all are coming to an end. That’s is happening now.

There was never anyway to top a era of Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, Eli, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers etc... we are moving to a more traditional style of football. Obviously a good team with a good qb will win more games but just Luck willing your team to victory week in and week out will not be the norm by 2020. Rodgers is still elite but he is showing those signs of being mortal.

Also I don’t think we would bring him in and start throwing the rock 40 times a game. No you keep the same game plan but now you have a qb who can throw simple slants and intermediate routes as well as the occasional deep bomb.

(10-12-2017, 11:01 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: The real issue is the lack of talent on offense.  Unless we magically find 3 players for our offensive line, a tight end, and Eli brings ODB with him, the results will remain relatively the same.

We've had one of the better lines in the league so far this year. Not sure where this is still coming from.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(10-12-2017, 05:31 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 11:01 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: The real issue is the lack of talent on offense.  Unless we magically find 3 players for our offensive line, a tight end, and Eli brings ODB with him, the results will remain relatively the same.

We've had one of the better lines in the league so far this year. Not sure where this is still coming from.

Eh. By running so much it hides our pass protection. And honestly our run blocking isn't that good. It's average at best. Fournette is running into a wall and has had to beast his way to pick up more than 3 yards

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 06:40 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Again, this isn't our last, best, and only chance to win a Super Bowl. There is no point in trading a valuable commodity like 2 3rds for a player who won't win us the Super Bowl and will be long gone by the time we will. Do you really, honestly believe we will win the Super Bowl this season with Eli Manning? Ask yourself that and if the answer is no, then its not worth any trade value, let alone a couple of 3rds. You seriously undervalue 3rd round picks. And on this offense, two 3rds are two starters. You willing to give up two long term starters for a 1.5 year rental on a quarterback who will get us nowhere?

[Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

No. Good Lord why would anyone need to explain this.

Manning responds:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eli-m...e-jaguars/

Quote:"I've not heard [the Jacksonville speculation], I've not felt it, not thinking about it," Manning told Newsday. "I don't want to play anywhere else. I love this team, love this organization, and I want to be here."

Manning also added that it would mean a lot to him if he were able to play his entire career with just one team. 

"That's always the goal," Manning said. "You always want to come to a place and make an impact, stay in one spot, and I think that's always the mindset. I hope that will be the case."

Of course, Manning knows the NFL is a business where anything can happen, so he didn't completely shut the door on the idea of being traded one day. 

"Obviously, in this league, things can change, and if we have to make decisions, we'll figure it out," Manning said. 

So the whole world basically thinks that the Jacksonville Jaguars would be a Super Bowl contending team if they could just find a QB at least as talented as Trent Dilfer to run the offense and a Super Bowl winning team with a better QB like Eli or Rivers. Meanwhile we're going to struggle to be .500 against a pattycake schedule with BB5. Sounds about right to me.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The fact that you don't think Blake is as good as Dilfer is all that needs to be said... A quarterback who won the Super Bowl with his 3rd best statistical season of his 13 year career with 12 tds, 11 ints, 59% comp, and 5 ypa. A qb that for his career averaged 55% and nearly double the int rate of Blake Bortles. A qb who Blake Bortles has an outside shot of having more career touchdowns than during this season.

(10-14-2017, 03:28 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: The fact that you don't think Blake is as good as Dilfer is all that needs to be said...  A quarterback who won the Super Bowl with his 3rd best statistical season of his 13 year career with 12 tds, 11 ints, 59% comp, and 5 ypa.  A qb that for his career averaged 55% and nearly double the int rate of Blake Bortles.  A qb who Blake Bortles has an outside shot of having more career touchdowns than during this season.

Dilfer was a winner. Bottles is a loser.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

You must have forgot about Trent Dilfer's other 12 seasons not in Baltimore.

Normally I would say no. But if ya truly believe ya a QB away. Ya pull the trigger. And take ya chances. Can't possibly be worse then Blake. And won't throw miles over head or 10 feet from body.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017, 06:25 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

No. Eli is a shell of his former self. I don't wanna waste a draft pick on getting anyone. Let's wait until the draft and get our long term franchise starter.

2017 QB Rating:

Blake: 85.4
Eli: 86.1

They're the same guy....
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(10-25-2017, 09:45 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: 2017 QB Rating:

Blake: 85.4
Eli: 86.1

They're the same guy....

Nah. Eli is still better. But not by enough to warrant giving anything up.