Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Article: How to Win Without a Quarterback

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 02:00 PM by Kane.)

(10-16-2017, 10:29 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 03:01 PM)Kane Wrote: Did the guy banging the drum for Bortles just talk smack about Tyrod Taylor ability as a QB?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cam Newton instantly added wins to a team that was bad enough to draft him 1st overall.
Kirk Cousins took a team RGme couldn't move forward with and made them a playoff team.
Big Ben has elevated his team around him ever since he was a Steeler.... he wasn't loaded on talent until most recently on the offensive side of the ball.

Regardless of how you keep trying to throw around excuses for Bortles.... Even with a better run game and a better OL, this team still has to game plan around Bortles to win.
HE WAS A TOP 5 SELECTION!!!!!!

I think you've officially taken the place of JDub as the most DENSE poster on the board spacecoast.

Not banging the drum for Bortles , but you just called someone dense after saying Ben was not loaded with talent around him? He came into the league walking into a ready made dynasty around him!!!

I specifically was referring to offense. Yeah he had Hines Ward and the Bus for awhile in the early years... but not until the last few seasons have they loaded up on that side of the ball.

I don't deny that he walked into a very good team, and Tomlin won a SB because of the defense that was built there in Pitt.
But as Big Ben made his way into his 3rd and 4th seasons (where Bortles is now) he elevated the play of others around him.

Bortles was a top 5 selection. And in his 4th year, we have to gameplan around him. We have to limit the amount of throws he makes. 
In his 4th year... he elevates the play of no one. If anything he brings down the play of others.

(10-16-2017, 10:48 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 10:40 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: If Bortles can't take this super team Jags to the playoffs then he will never sniff the playoffs.

This team is loaded with all he needs even without Arob.  It doesn't fit YOUR narrative.

Quick Name a QB who loses their #1 WR before the season starts and makes the playoffs?! Cam Newton is the ONLY one I can think of.

Aaron Rodgers lost Jordy Nelson and still made the playoffs I think.

I believe teams lose guys all the time. QBs that are ACTUALLY good, tend to overcome these things.
Bortles can't overcome himself.... much less losing his #1 "jump ball" receiver.

(10-17-2017, 07:33 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 06:34 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: What's the chance BB is on the Jags roster next year?  They can cut him after this season right for non injury reasons?

Bortles will be starting next year

For what team?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-17-2017, 08:44 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 08:38 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: If the Jaguars want to take the next step forward, Bortles shouldnt anywher near center, not even considering the ridiculous price tag of 19M.

Why does everyone here say Blake's 2018 salary is $19 million?

Space has a point here. If Blake is paid $18 million next year, demoting him would be stupid. I said it before: You do not pay a guy that much money to sit on the bench. So we have to know with absolute certainty whether he will be the starter or not before he is due to get paid, which is impossible if that occurs before the draft. so yes, he will be the starter if no better free agents are available to take over that job.

The 19 mil is only if he on the roster.
Or if he is hurt and unable to play at the start of next season (injury guarantee)
If we cut him after week 17 (assuming he doesn't 'lead' us to the playoffs) he is owed nothing by us. And thus will have to earn a starting job from somewhere else, after signing a contract for probably much less than 18-19 mil per year

(10-18-2017, 09:50 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 08:38 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Just think about how much of a waste this is towards keeping and sign other players against the cap. 

Caldwell should be in jail for putting the team in this position. They could have always franchised him if he turn the corner.

I always find it funny that when things go wrong it's Caldwell, but when things go right its Coughlin.  This was Coughlins decision.  He makes the final decision on everything, correct?  Coughlin is the one who signed him to the extension next year.

1. Coughlin just got the job, so you can't blame him for being the new old kid on the block and wanting to see how things turned out. 

2. I doubt Coughlin would have given him a second thought if Caldwell wasn't still the GM.

3. Caldwell still has the faith and ear of the owner, so it's a bad move to discredit him so soon. It's always best to let it play out. Just like Marrone did with Bradley.

In short, TC plays chess not checkers.

(10-18-2017, 02:32 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 09:50 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: I always find it funny that when things go wrong it's Caldwell, but when things go right its Coughlin.  This was Coughlins decision.  He makes the final decision on everything, correct?  Coughlin is the one who signed him to the extension next year.

1. Coughlin just got the job, so you can't blame him for being the new old kid on the block and wanting to see how things turned out. 

2. I doubt Coughlin would have given him a second thought if Caldwell wasn't still the GM.

3. Caldwell still has the faith and ear of the owner, so it's a bad move to discredit him so soon. It's always best to let it play out. Just like Marrone did with Bradley.

In short, TC plays chess not checkers.

If Coughlin felt there was a QB in the draft that would have been better than Bortles for THIS season, I have no doubt he would have drafted him.

I've said all along... Coughlin is letting Bortles cost Caldwell his job. Coughlin is here for the long term, he wasn't going to hem himself up by reaching for and handcuffing himself to a QB.
TC will take over all GM duties this coming offseason, imo, while working closely with Marrone on getting "their guys".
LF and Robinson were Coughlin type picks.
I would not be surprised to see QB and TE taken very early. Along with interior OL guys.

Also... watch for them to keep stocking up on DL they way NY did often. Campbell is beasting but it only takes one off season to become "football old"

(10-18-2017, 11:17 AM)jradMITEX Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 09:50 AM)OUCF Knight Wrote: I always find it funny that when things go wrong it's Caldwell, but when things go right its Coughlin.  This was Coughlins decision.  He makes the final decision on everything, correct?  Coughlin is the one who signed him to the extension next year.

The extension isn't guaranteed except for injury so it wasn't a poor decision because they can get out of it.  Its hard to imagine a scenario where he plays for the Jags for 19M next season especially considering as of right now they have 8M in cap space and only 40 guys under contract.

Again, that 8 million is not counting the ~40 million in rollover we have available this year.  We'll go into next season likely over 50 million in cap space assuming some notable people get cut.  Ivory, Lewis and Parnell are all potential cuts after the season.

(10-18-2017, 08:11 AM)Rico Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 07:33 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Bortles will be starting next year

So he's going to the CFL?

He will start in Jacksonville if we don't cut him.

I really don't care what you think.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-19-2017, 12:54 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 08:11 AM)Rico Wrote: So he's going to the CFL?

He will start in Jacksonville if we don't cut him.

Dude...

He isn't starting in Jacksonville next season.
He'll be released after this season barring some quick turnaround to him at least being serviceable on the way to winning a playoff game.

Outside of that ridiculous notion actually happening Bortles doesn't suit up a Jag next year. Especially with that price tag.
Will he start SOMEWHERE?

Crazier things have happened. And there'll probably be one or two teams that start next season without a real answer at QB on their roster... and that team might be inclined to start Bortles for a bit.
Whoever that team is, will be doing it on a new contract. Bortles won't be making 18mil+ promise you that.

(10-19-2017, 02:57 PM)Kane Wrote: He isn't starting in Jacksonville next season.

He'll be released after this season barring some quick turnaround to him at least being serviceable on the way to winning a playoff game.

Outside of that ridiculous notion actually happening Bortles doesn't suit up a Jag next year. Especially with that price tag.
Will he start SOMEWHERE?

Crazier things have happened. And there'll probably be one or two teams that start next season without a real answer at QB on their roster... and that team might be inclined to start Bortles for a bit.
Whoever that team is, will be doing it on a new contract. Bortles won't be making 18mil+ promise you that.

What part of "if we don't cut him" do you not understand?

(10-19-2017, 03:17 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 02:57 PM)Kane Wrote: He isn't starting in Jacksonville next season.

Will he start SOMEWHERE?

What part of "if we don't cut him" do you not understand?

What part of there is no "if" do you not understand? There is almost no realistic scenario that ends with Bortles in a Jags uni next year.
Not even worth discussing the possibility of us paying him or starting him

(10-19-2017, 03:21 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 03:17 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: What part of "if we don't cut him" do you not understand?

What part of there is no "if" do you not understand? There is almost no realistic scenario that ends with Bortles in a Jags uni next year.

Bortles will be starting next year. He's doing exactly what the Jags want of him. On pace for a 21 TD-13 INT season (that's Brunell like). 

You guys act like finding a QB is so easy. Matt Ryan has 6 Tds and 6 INts with Julio Jones. Derek Carr has 3 TDs and 4 INts in his last 3 games. 

Bortles will be starting next year and Coughlin will be drafting more OL, WRs, and a late round QB.

(10-19-2017, 03:21 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 03:17 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: What part of "if we don't cut him" do you not understand?

The word that matters is don't.

(10-19-2017, 04:12 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 03:21 PM)Kane Wrote: What part of there is no "if" do you not understand? There is almost no realistic scenario that ends with Bortles in a Jags uni next year.

Bortles will be starting next year. He's doing exactly what the Jags want of him. On pace for a 21 TD-13 INT season (that's Brunell like). 

You guys act like finding a QB is so easy. Matt Ryan has 6 Tds and 6 INts with Julio Jones. Derek Carr has 3 TDs and 4 INts in his last 3 games. 

Bortles will be starting next year and Coughlin will be drafting more OL, WRs, and a late round QB.

Unless he agrees to a big pay cut, there's no way that happens.  $18M is too much to pay for a 21/13 QB.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(10-19-2017, 04:28 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 04:12 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:    Bortles will be starting next year. He's doing exactly what the Jags want of him. On pace for a 21 TD-13 INT season (that's Brunell like). 

Unless he agrees to a big pay cut, there's no way that happens.  $18M is too much to pay for a 21/13 QB.

We will see. Look around the league. There are plenty are higher paid guys like Ryan and Big Ben doing worse.

(10-19-2017, 04:28 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 04:12 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Bortles will be starting next year. He's doing exactly what the Jags want of him. On pace for a 21 TD-13 INT season (that's Brunell like). 

Unless he agrees to a big pay cut, there's no way that happens. $18M is too much to pay for a 21/13 QB.

Under fifth year option rules, Bortles can't taker a pay cut next year. The full salary is guaranteed before training camp.

(10-19-2017, 04:39 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 04:28 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Unless he agrees to a big pay cut, there's no way that happens. $18M is too much to pay for a 21/13 QB.

Under fifth year option rules, Bortles can't taker a pay cut next year. The full salary is guaranteed before training camp.

Everything is negotiable.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 05:00 PM by jradMITEX.)

(10-19-2017, 04:30 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 04:28 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Unless he agrees to a big pay cut, there's no way that happens.  $18M is too much to pay for a 21/13 QB.

We will see. Look around the league. There are plenty are higher paid guys like Ryan and Big Ben doing worse.

Doing worse just in the few games this season, but those guys Matt Ryan was the MVP last year and Big Ben won multiple super bowls have proven records of success. Bortles doesn't.  BB's career qb rating is below 80, Big Ben and Ryan are above 90.  Are you seriously trying to compare him to those guys?   Bortles isn't improving either he still making the same mistakes he did in year's past.  This year they are trying their best to limit his exposure, that isn't much of a vote confidence.

Would you honestly take Bortles over Matt Ryan or Derek Carr?? Seriously that will say everything.

(10-19-2017, 04:51 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 04:39 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Under fifth year option rules, Bortles can't taker a pay cut next year. The full salary is guaranteed before training camp.

Everything is negotiable.

Someone explained in another thread Blake Bortles will be paid $18 million after a team physical in the offseason. From what I have read about it, the salary can't go up or down.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM by atburg.)

(10-18-2017, 01:55 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 10:29 PM)atburg Wrote: Not banging the drum for Bortles , but you just called someone dense after saying Ben was not loaded with talent around him? He came into the league walking into a ready made dynasty around him!!!

I specifically was referring to offense. Yeah he had Hines Ward and the Bus for awhile in the early years... but not until the last few seasons have they loaded up on that side of the ball.

I don't deny that he walked into a very good team, and Tomlin won a SB because of the defense that was built there in Pitt.
But as Big Ben made his way into his 3rd and 4th seasons (where Bortles is now) he elevated the play of others around him.

Bortles was a top 5 selection. And in his 4th year, we have to gameplan around him. We have to limit the amount of throws he makes. 
In his 4th year... he elevates the play of no one. If anything he brings down the play of others.

(10-16-2017, 10:48 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Quick Name a QB who loses their #1 WR before the season starts and makes the playoffs?! Cam Newton is the ONLY one I can think of.

I believe teams lose guys all the time. QBs that are ACTUALLY good, tend to overcome these things.
Bortles can't overcome himself.... much less losing his #1 "jump ball" receiver.

(10-17-2017, 07:33 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Bortles will be starting next year

For what team?

He also had a stacked line, and a rookie stud tight end ( in 2005). But not looking to bicker, as I agree with most of your points.

(10-19-2017, 08:16 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 01:55 PM)Kane Wrote: I specifically was referring to offense. Yeah he had Hines Ward and the Bus for awhile in the early years... but not until the last few seasons have they loaded up on that side of the ball.

For what team?

He also had a stacked line, and a rookie stud tight end ( in 2005). But not looking to bicker, as I agree with most of your points.

Huh  How is this guy still getting compared to QB with accomplishment is beyond me. 

Before you post you should say it out loud, think about it and delete it. Then thank your higher-self for not making you look stupid.

Again.