Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Article: How to Win Without a Quarterback

For me - the big takeaway from this article is not the slight on Bortles or the low number of pass attempts.

It's the coaching.

We have a coaching staff that is willing to go to great lengths to put players in position to win. They identify the strengths of their playmakers and scheme to them accordingly. Although it took them a few weeks to sort out the RB rotation, it's been clear from the start that they are bent on scheming differently for weekly opponents and seeking out ways to attack mismatches.

We haven't seen that in a long time in Jacksonville and when Marrone and Hackett go out and pass the ball one time in an entire half - I'm encouraged. Not because they don't trust their QB, but because they are willing to do whatever it takes to win football games however unconventional it may be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-10-2017, 06:48 PM)Pdiddy Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 05:42 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: He hasn't handicapped us so stop using false narrative because as I last check we do have a winning record and he has something to do with it even if he's not in the main reason for it.

Serious question...have you ever actually watched a jaguars game in the last couple years?  If you have, then I'm just gonna lol. Everyone knows that we are going to trade for a qb, sign a FA qb and or draft a qb next offseason. I think that conflicts with your  false narrative that our qb performance is  satisfactory. We have a winning record because our defense scores more touchdowns than our qb. We have a winning record because we don't let the qb throw more than one pass in a whole half.  We simply can't the throw the ball because of our qb. That's being handicapped. Running backs fight against stacked boxes because bortles is not a threat. That again is an example of being handicapped

Thanks, for a minute there I thought I was the only one that realized this or this entire message board was comprised of from office interns.  Banana

(10-10-2017, 05:50 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 05:42 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: He hasn't handicapped us so stop using false narrative because as I last check we do have a winning record and he has something to do with it even if he's not in the main reason for it.

You're right Mama Bortles. You little man is the greats QB in all the whole wide world.  Laughing

I see that you like to be childish because someone doesn't agree with you crybaby but it's okay and everybody can't be adults in this situation.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 06:57 PM by Jaguarrior.)

(10-10-2017, 06:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: For me -  the big takeaway from this article is not the slight on Bortles or the low number of pass attempts.

It's the coaching.  

We have a coaching staff that is willing to go to great lengths to put players in position to win. They identify the strengths of their playmakers and scheme to them accordingly.  Although it took them a few weeks to sort out the RB rotation, it's been clear from the start that they are bent on scheming differently for weekly opponents and seeking out ways to attack mismatches.

We haven't seen that in a long time in Jacksonville and when Marrone and Hackett go out and pass the ball one time in an entire half -  I'm encouraged.  Not because they don't trust their QB, but because they are willing to do whatever it takes to win football games however unconventional it may be.

It encourages me too that they can find ways to win game, but not superbowls.

Which is kind of the point.

(10-10-2017, 06:52 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 05:50 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: You're right Mama Bortles. You little man is the greats QB in all the whole wide world.  Laughing

I see that you like to be childish because someone doesn't agree with you crybaby but it's okay and everybody can't be adults in this situation.

Bortles has a game only a mother could love.

(10-10-2017, 06:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: For me -  the big takeaway from this article is not the slight on Bortles or the low number of pass attempts.

It's the coaching.  

We have a coaching staff that is willing to go to great lengths to put players in position to win. They identify the strengths of their playmakers and scheme to them accordingly.  Although it took them a few weeks to sort out the RB rotation, it's been clear from the start that they are bent on scheming differently for weekly opponents and seeking out ways to attack mismatches.

We haven't seen that in a long time in Jacksonville and when Marrone and Hackett go out and pass the ball one time in an entire half -  I'm encouraged.  Not because they don't trust their QB, but because they are willing to do whatever it takes to win football games however unconventional it may be.

I agree, it looked almost like the Steelers decided their diva receiver had to get the ball and that was more important than winning. I don't see that kind of thing even coming into it for the Jaguars right now.

(10-10-2017, 06:45 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 06:39 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: It should have been clear to you I was saying Doug Marrone was given the task to make the entire offense productive with Blake Bortles as the QB. Exactly how did you interpret the argument to mean he will miraculously turn Blake into a great QB or whatever?

He did not finish the Ravens game because the entire second half was garbage time.

Tasking Doug Marrone to have a productive offense with Bortles is asking the man to perform a miracle.

Do you not understand the part where I said Doug Marrone makes the offense productive by changing the scheme to fit Bortles instead of force him to do what is unnatural?

Although Bortles does excel in garbage time, I don't see this point of your comment - once again.

Probably because you don't want to see the point.

(10-10-2017, 06:44 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: In the last four years, we drafted a QB. That left us with no reason to get another one.

You sure about that?

Go back to 2015.

One in four people in the world will be affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives. Around 450 million people currently suffer from such conditions, placing mental disorders among the leading causes of ill-health and disability worldwide.

(10-10-2017, 07:27 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: One in four people in the world will be affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives. Around 450 million people currently suffer from such conditions, placing mental disorders among the leading causes of ill-health and disability worldwide.

Very interesting, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I know the huge difference between working to make things better and turning water into wine.

(10-10-2017, 07:07 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I agree, it looked almost like the Steelers decided their diva receiver had to get the ball and that was more important than winning. I don't see that kind of thing even coming into it for the Jaguars right now.

If the Steelers did not care about winning, they would not have let Big Ben throw the ball at all.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 08:56 PM by atburg.)

(10-10-2017, 06:33 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 06:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's simple. They wanted to see if he'd ever develop to the point where he'd be able to perform that way 
(the London game)  consistently. 

It would appear now that they have finally come to terms with that probably never happening. 

Personally -- I wanted them to draft a mid round QB last Spring (Peterman or Webb) to take over after the bye week if Bortles flames out.  They were apparently more committed to giving Blake another opportunity.

I get they wanted to see if he had what it took, but they still should have brought someone in. They had numerous chances and still do.

Bortles hasn't really shown after last season that he was a considerable franchise QB, so the fact they didn't make moves says they are wishful thinkers, too much ego or Bortles has someone family member hostage.

Just like this team is held hostage.

This "hostage" team in 3-2 and alone in first! I don't give a damn if they stick him on the field in a shark tank, and let the D, and the run game dominate!  I am enjoying pro football going into week 6 for the first time in a long time. So stop your whining and enjoy the ride, or take your Debbie downer $×+ somewhere else.

(10-10-2017, 08:55 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 06:33 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: I get they wanted to see if he had what it took, but they still should have brought someone in. They had numerous chances and still do.

Bortles hasn't really shown after last season that he was a considerable franchise QB, so the fact they didn't make moves says they are wishful thinkers, too much ego or Bortles has someone family member hostage.

This "hostage" team in 3-2 and alone in first! I don't give a damn if they  stick him on the field in a shark tank, and let the D, and the run game dominate!  I am enjoying pro football going into week 6 for the first time in a long time. So stop your whining and enjoy the ride, or take your Debbie downer $×+ somewhere else.

Thank you so much for having the maturity that I've been trying to preach on this message board the whole time.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM by Jaguarrior.)

(10-10-2017, 08:55 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 06:33 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: I get they wanted to see if he had what it took, but they still should have brought someone in. They had numerous chances and still do.

This "hostage" team in 3-2 and alone in first! I don't give a damn if they  stick him on the field in a shark tank, and let the D, and the run game dominate!  I am enjoying pro football going into week 6 for the first time in a long time. So stop your whining and enjoy the ride, or take your Debbie downer $×+ somewhere else.

I'm happy you're enjoying your "ride" on the ferris wheel. 

I'm more interested in Space Mountain. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Cool

The beauty of the way we have this roster is it really helps us in our search for our next QB. We don't need a guy to throw 30 times and win off his arm. We just need a risk adverse QB with good accuracy and the ability to make some plays with his feet and /or take a few deep shots when needed.

Alex Smith and Tyrod would be perfect and would make us a contender in my opinion. Especially in what looks to be a very weakened AFC. That'll have to wait until next though , for this year just enjoy what looks to be a great coaching staff , good team and a solid front office (Sir.David Caldwell probably deserves a letter of apology from myself if this keeps us).

(10-10-2017, 05:16 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Found this interesting. Maybe Caldwell is trying to show he can build a dominate team without the most important position. I think this team would be undefeated with a decent QB, but water is wet and snow is cold right.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/10...on-manning

Thanks for posting this!  It's a thought provoking article.

It is nice to have a coaching staff that seemingly plays to their strengths and scheme around that.  We have not had that in a very long time.

(10-10-2017, 05:29 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 05:16 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Found this interesting. Maybe Caldwell is trying to show he can build a dominant team without the most important position. I think this team would be undefeated with a decent QB, but water is wet and snow is cold right.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/10...on-manning

Dave Caldwell wanted a pocket passer and got one. It was Doug Marrone's responsibility to make the offense work with Blake Bortles. John Elway, on the other hoof, drafted the QBs he believed in when the Broncos already had an elite defense. There are similarities, but also major differences in how the teams were constructed.

Blake Bortles and pocket passer don't belong in the same stratosphere.

(10-10-2017, 06:44 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 06:40 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Team either have their guy, signing their guy or drafting their guy. Basically they are trying.

In the last 4 years the Jags have not despite have arguably the biggest reason.

In the last four years, we drafted a QB. That left us with no reason to get another one.

We drafted a late round flyer.  We absolutely still had reasons to draft one.

It's the coaching.  

Yes!

It is the coaching.  This is the best Jaguars coaching job we have seen in years.  It is encouraging and I hope we continue to see them scheme to those strengths.

Marrone has nailed it up to this point and that has me encouraged about Jaguar football going forward.

(10-10-2017, 09:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: The beauty of the way we have this roster is it really helps us in our search for our next QB. We don't need a guy to throw 30 times and win off his arm. We just need a risk adverse QB with good accuracy and the ability to make some plays with his feet and /or take a few deep shots when needed.  

Alex Smith and Tyrod would be perfect and would make us a contender in my opinion. Especially in  what looks to be a very weakened AFC. That'll have to wait until next year though, for this year just enjoy what looks to be a great coaching staff, good team and a solid front office (Sir. David Caldwell probably deserves a letter of apology from myself if this keeps us).

The Bills are playing very well with Tyrod Taylor, so they just might want to keep him for a while - most certainly if they make the playoffs. Alex Smith is looking like it would be a big mistake for the Chiefs to cut him just to put Patrick Mahomes on the field. He has one more year on his contract IIRC. My bet with Frailbones is still on too.

(10-10-2017, 09:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: The beauty of the way we have this roster is it really helps us in our search for our next QB. We don't need a guy to throw 30 times and win off his arm. We just need a risk adverse QB with good accuracy and the ability to make some plays with his feet and /or take a few deep shots when needed.  

Alex Smith and Tyrod would be perfect and would make us a contender in my opinion. Especially in  what looks to be a very weakened AFC. That'll have to wait until next though , for this year just enjoy what looks to be a great coaching staff , good team and a solid front office (Sir.David Caldwell probably deserves a letter of apology from myself if this keeps us).

If the front office work as hard to get a quarterback as it did to defend Bortles, I'd drop a grand right now in Vegas for the Superbowl. 

Hard to believe real fans want to waste a yet on a JackCity QB, but here we are... Superbowl windows close year to year by the way. Nothings promises, so get it while your hot.

You do realize we are opening the playoffs window now, right? Not the Super Bowl window because we have missed the playoffs for 10 years?

His point still stands. The playoff window opens and closes year to year for most teams outside of a select few.

(10-10-2017, 09:53 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You do realize we are opening the playoffs window now, right? Not the Super Bowl window because we have missed the playoffs for 10 years?

We can't win in the playoffs with Bortles either. I'm not satisfied with just making there and no one should be with the team we have.

(10-10-2017, 09:57 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 09:53 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You do realize we are opening the playoffs window now, right? Not the Super Bowl window because we have missed the playoffs for 10 years?

We can't win in the playoffs with Bortles either. I'm not satisfied with just making there and no one should be with the team we have.

I am not satisfied with just making it there either, but after a decade of losing seasons, I will feel much better with a division title than being on the outside looking in.