Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Article: How to Win Without a Quarterback

(10-10-2017, 09:51 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 09:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: The beauty of the way we have this roster is it really helps us in our search for our next QB. We don't need a guy to throw 30 times and win off his arm. We just need a risk adverse QB with good accuracy and the ability to make some plays with his feet and /or take a few deep shots when needed.  

Alex Smith and Tyrod would be perfect and would make us a contender in my opinion. Especially in  what looks to be a very weakened AFC. That'll have to wait until next though , for this year just enjoy what looks to be a great coaching staff , good team and a solid front office (Sir.David Caldwell probably deserves a letter of apology from myself if this keeps us).

If the front office work as hard to get a quarterback as it did to defend Bortles, I'd drop a grand right now in Vegas for the Superbowl. 

Hard to believe real fans want to waste a yet on a JackCity QB, but here we are... Superbowl windows close year to year by the way. Nothings promises, so get it while your hot.
Haven't a clue what you're talking about buddy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 02:50 AM by LAjag.)

(10-10-2017, 05:16 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Found this interesting. Maybe Caldwell is trying to show he can build a dominate team without the most important position. I think this team would be undefeated with a decent QB, but water is wet and snow is cold right.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/10...on-manning

Reminds me of LSU, my alma mater and college team. 

Nothing wrong with relying on a strong run game, gotta secure enough Ws to make the post season. I just hope we don't let Blake get too comfortable that he isn't where he could be when a postseason game would inevitably end up in his hands at some point. 
As bad as LSU was at QB I don't think it helped that they had never really been asked to do anything until the season was on the line (Bama).

A winning season and especially a playoff birth would be a huge success and fun as hell to watch as a jag fan though (or almost any NFL franchise). To ever reach the pinnacle your QB will have to make plays, if Blake can't be that guy I'm sure there will be some QB's very interested in us this offseason if we stack some wins

(10-10-2017, 11:09 PM)LAjag Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 05:16 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: Found this interesting. Maybe Caldwell is trying to show he can build a dominate team without the most important position. I think this team would be undefeated with a decent QB, but water is wet and snow is cold right.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/10...on-manning

Reminds me of LSU, my alma mater and college team. 

Nothing wrong with relying on a strong run game, gotta secure enough Ws to make the post season. I just hope we don't let Blake get too comfortable that he isn't where he could be when a postseason game would inevitably end up in his hands at some point. 

As bad as LSU was at QB I don't think it helped that they had never really been asked to do anything until the season was on the line (Bama).

You're about to experience deja vu bro. I truly hope he gets better, but 1 good game isn't a trend.

(10-10-2017, 11:40 PM):cry:Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 11:09 PM)LAjag Wrote: Reminds me of LSU, my alma mater and college team. 

You're about to experience deja vu bro. I truly hope he gets better, but 1 good game isn't a trend.

Cry your last post show more maturity from you than all your previous posts combine and that's saying something my friend. I'm not saying you I just don't have a right to be skeptical or have your mind made up but let the situation play out instead of having a foregone conclusion of how the situation is going to end.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 06:56 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think one of the biggest problems in the NFL for the past decade or so has been that teams have bought into the idea that you have to have a franchise QB to win. The problem is, there are only about a dozen franchise QBs, but teams have gone all out trying to find a "franchise QB" and then they draft a guy and throw him into an offense that is designed for a franchise QB, as if they actually had one. They want to throw the ball all over the place, because "that's the way it's done, that's the way the Patriots do it, etc etc."

Teams are copycats, they copy whatever works for someone else. No one has an original idea. QB after QB fails because they are asked to do too much. Teams draft a QB high in the first round, then try to build a team around them, assuming they got the right guy, when the odds that they actually got such a guy are very slim.

Teams are doomed to failure if they insist on implementing a QB-centric offense when there are only a small handful of QBs in the league who can successfully run such an offense.

Someday teams will wake up to the fact that that basket of high draft picks they traded to draft that over-hyped college QB could have been better used to build a butt-kicking offensive line that almost ANY QB could succeed behind.

And as far as Blake Bortles goes, right now, all he has to do is keep defenses honest. He's going to have to drop back occasionally and throw one over the head of the defense in order to back them off the line of scrimmage. I think he's capable of that.

(10-10-2017, 06:34 PM)VisitingCobra Wrote: This is a great article.  But lets say the Jaguars actually succeed in accomplishing what this article describes (which is still very unlikely), and other teams try to copy this model.  What exactly would the other teams do differently?  Teams have been trying to accomplish this for decades.

They would stop trading multiple high draft picks in order to draft an over-hyped college QB.   They would realize that a QB without an offensive line is going to fail.  They would realize that almost any QB can succeed to a certain extent if they have a great offensive line.  

I don't dispute that QB is the most important position, but some of these bad teams are overdoing it.   They're sacrificing potential talent at other positions in order to take wild swings at rookie QBs.

(10-11-2017, 06:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think one of the biggest problems in the NFL for the past decade or so has been that teams have bought into the idea that you have to have a franchise QB to win.   The problem is, there are only about a dozen franchise QBs, but teams have gone all out trying to find a "franchise QB" and then they draft a guy and throw him into an offense that is designed for a franchise QB, as if they actually had one.   They want to throw the ball all over the place, because "that's the way it's done, that's the way the Patriots do it, etc etc."  

Teams are copycats, they copy whatever works for someone else.  No one has an original idea.  QB after QB fails because they are asked to do too much.  Teams draft a QB high in the first round, then try to build a team around them, assuming they got the right guy, when the odds that they actually got such a guy are very slim.  

Teams are doomed to failure if they insist on implementing a QB-centric offense when there are only a small handful of QBs in the league who can successfully run such an offense.  

Someday teams will wake up to the fact that that basket of high draft picks they traded to draft that over-hyped college QB could have been better used to build a butt-kicking offensive line that almost ANY QB could succeed behind.

And as far as Blake Bortles goes, right now, all he has to do is keep defenses honest.  He's going to have to drop back occasionally and throw one over the head of the defense in order to back them off the line of scrimmage.  I think he's capable of that.

Superbowl winners since the '90s. How many won without a franchise QB? Undecided

XXIV Jan. 28, 1990 Superdome (New Orleans) San Francisco 55, Denver 10
XXV Jan. 27, 1991 Tampa (Fla.) Stadium New York Giants 20, Buffalo 19
XXVI Jan. 26, 1992 Metrodome (Minneapolis) Washington 37, Buffalo 24
XXVII Jan. 31, 1993 Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.) Dallas 52, Buffalo 17
XXVIII Jan. 30, 1994 Georgia Dome (Atlanta) Dallas 30, Buffalo 13
XXIX Jan. 29, 1995 Joe Robbie Stadium (Miami) San Francisco 49, San Diego 26
XXX Jan. 28, 1996 Sun Devil Stadium (Tempe, Ariz.) Dallas 27, Pittsburgh 17
XXXI Jan. 26, 1997 Superdome (New Orleans) Green Bay 35, New England 21
XXXII Jan. 25, 1998 Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego) Denver 31, Green Bay 24
XXXIII Jan. 31, 1999 Pro Player Stadium (Miami) Denver 34, Atlanta 19
XXXIV Jan. 30, 2000 Georgia Dome (Atlanta) St. Louis 23, Tennessee 16
XXXV Jan. 28, 2001 Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Fla.) Baltimore 34, New York Giants 7
XXXVI Feb. 3, 2002 Superdome (New Orleans) New England 20, St. Louis 17
XXXVII Jan. 26, 2003 Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego) Tampa Bay 48, Oakland 21
XXXVIII Feb. 1, 2004 Reliant Stadium (Houston) New England 32, Carolina 29
XXXIX Feb. 6, 2005 Alltel Stadium (Jacksonville, Fla.) New England 24, Philadelphia 21
XL Feb. 5, 2006 Ford Field (Detroit) Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10
XLI Feb. 4, 2007 Dolphin Stadium (Miami) Indianapolis 29, Chicago 17
XLII Feb. 3, 2008 University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.) New York Giants 17, New England 14
XLIII Feb. 1, 2009 Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Fla.) Pittsburgh Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 23
XLIV Feb. 7, 2010 Sun Life Stadium (Miami) New Orleans Saints 31, Indianapolis Colts 17
XLV Feb. 6, 2011 Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas) Green Bay Packers 31, Pittsburgh Steelers 25
XLVI Feb. 5, 2012 Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis) New York Giants 21, New England Patriots 17
XLVII Feb. 3, 2013 Mercedes-Benz Superdome (New Orleans) Baltimore Ravens 34, San Francisco 49ers 31
XLVIII Feb. 2, 2014 MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, N.J.) Seattle Seahawks 43, Denver Broncos 8
XLIX Feb. 1, 2015 University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.) New England Patriots 28, Seattle Seahawks 24
50 Feb. 7, 2016 Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, Calif.) Denver Broncos 24, Carolina Panthers 10
LI Feb. 5, 2017 NRG Stadium (Houston) New England Patriots 34, Atlanta Falcons 28

I wish this team had a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Not anybody to write home about but someone who could just manage things and keep defenses honest. Bortles is not that guy.

I am hoping he proves me wrong by end of season but I just don't see that happening.

(10-11-2017, 06:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think one of the biggest problems in the NFL for the past decade or so has been that teams have bought into the idea that you have to have a franchise QB to win. The problem is, there are only about a dozen franchise QBs, but teams have gone all out trying to find a "franchise QB" and then they draft a guy and throw him into an offense that is designed for a franchise QB, as if they actually had one. They want to throw the ball all over the place, because "that's the way it's done, that's the way the Patriots do it, etc etc."  

Teams are copycats, they copy whatever works for someone else. No one has an original idea. QB after QB fails because they are asked to do too much. Teams draft a QB high in the first round, then try to build a team around them, assuming they got the right guy, when the odds that they actually got such a guy are very slim.  

And as far as Blake Bortles goes, right now, all he has to do is keep defenses honest. He's going to have to drop back occasionally and throw one over the head of the defense in order to back them off the line of scrimmage.  I think he's capable of that.

Coaches often tweak the West Coast offense or just use some WCO elements, which makes their schemes look nothing like the one Bill Walsh invented, most notably Gary Kubiak. So teams are not exactly copying each other on every page of the playbook. Keep in mind it helps the players who change teams or are signed off the street to have a lot of copycats.

Just like there are not enough franchise QBs to meet the demand, great offensive linemen can also be in short supply. How many times did draft analysts say 2017 was a weak class? Luke Joeckel is not an upgrade in Seattle. Russell Okung was not an upgrade anywhere. Yet teams had to settle for below average linemen because the draft had a short supply.

(10-11-2017, 02:30 PM)Dumptruck Wrote: I wish this team had a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Not anybody to write home about but someone who could just manage things and keep defenses honest. Bortles is not that guy.

I am hoping he proves me wrong by end of season but I just don't see that happening.

I 100 percent agree Dumptruck. A franchise QB would be nice and make things a lot easier, but a serviceable QB shouldn't be too much to ask. Up until now, Bortles hasn't earned it. 

I'll say it again for all the people here that have forgot, 2015 was garbage time all year. Go back and watch the games.

(10-11-2017, 03:02 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 02:30 PM)Dumptruck Wrote: I wish this team had a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Not anybody to write home about but someone who could just manage things and keep defenses honest. Bortles is not that guy.

I 100 percent agree Dumptruck. A franchise QB would be nice and make things a lot easier, but a serviceable QB shouldn't be too much to ask. Up until now, Bortles hasn't earned it. 

I'll say it again for all the people here that have forgot, 2015 was garbage time all year. Go back and watch the games.

I did watch the games. Saying it was all garbage time is admitting you did not watch them because we were not blown out 16 times.

(10-11-2017, 03:07 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 03:02 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: I 100 percent agree Dumptruck. A franchise QB would be nice and make things a lot easier, but a serviceable QB shouldn't be too much to ask. Up until now, Bortles hasn't earned it. 

I did watch the games. Saying it was all garbage time is admitting you did not watch them because we were not blown out 16 times.

That entire season was garbage time as far as I'm concerned.

(10-11-2017, 03:02 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: I 100 percent agree Dumptruck. A franchise QB would be nice and make things a lot easier, but a serviceable QB shouldn't be too much to ask. Up until now, Bortles hasn't earned it. 

Fell off the Blake train a long time ago, but to use the 2015 garbage time crap is proving his ignorance!

(10-11-2017, 03:12 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 03:07 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I did watch the games. Saying it was all garbage time is admitting you did not watch them because we were not blown out 16 times.

That entire season was garbage time as far as I'm concerned.

I was talking about 60 minutes of each game.

I think you should watch for yourself. A lot of his TDs were late with the game out of reach.

(10-10-2017, 09:37 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 08:55 PM)atburg Wrote: This "hostage" team in 3-2 and alone in first! I don't give a damn if they  stick him on the field in a shark tank, and let the D, and the run game dominate!  I am enjoying pro football going into week 6 for the first time in a long time. So stop your whining and enjoy the ride, or take your Debbie downer $×+ somewhere else.

I'm happy you're enjoying your "ride" on the ferris wheel. 

I'm more interested in Space Mountain. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Cool

The space mountain reference shows you're living in the past. Im more about the now

Believe that!

(10-11-2017, 03:17 PM)atburg Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 09:37 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote: I'm happy you're enjoying your "ride" on the ferris wheel. 

I'm more interested in Space Mountain. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Cool

The space mountain reference shows you're living in the past. Im more about the now

Believe that!

Why do you Hate Rick Flare!?  Angry

(10-11-2017, 03:16 PM)Jaguarrior Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 03:07 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I did watch the games. Saying it was all garbage time is admitting you did not watch them because we were not blown out 16 times.

I think you should watch for yourself. A lot of his TDs were late with the game out of reach.

"All garbage time" means the whole 60 minutes of a game we were trailing.

(10-11-2017, 06:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: They would stop trading multiple high draft picks in order to draft an over-hyped college QB.   They would realize that a QB without an offensive line is going to fail.  They would realize that almost any QB can succeed to a certain extent if they have a great offensive line.  

I don't dispute that QB is the most important position, but some of these bad teams are overdoing it.   They're sacrificing potential talent at other positions in order to take wild swings at rookie QBs.

I went through the top 33 QBs in the league.  Out of the top 33: 20 were drafted, 7 were free agents, and only 6 were traded for:

2  Carson Palmer (1st and 2nd rounder)
3  Alex Smith (2nd rounder)
5  Philip Rivers (negative trade for Eli Manning)
8  Eli Manning (1st rounder, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder, Phillip Rivers)
22 Jacoby Brissett (for WR Phillip Dorsett)
33 Sam Bradford (1st and 4th)

I don't get the general impression that teams are overvaluing quarterbacks just because they are an essential peace to winning games when other plans fail and injuries occur.  My point was that all teams, even the ones that are pass heavy are always trying to improve their defense, OL and running game.   It's more about who succeeds in doing so.   Which to me means they are either acquiring players better than everybody, or coaching better than everybody.