Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Griff's QB Mid-Season Rankings

I really haven't done my homework yet on these guys, and I'm normally a stickler for prototypical size and traits, but...

... I keep catching myself really liking Mayfield and Jackson. It's not like me - but I really could see either of them flourishing under the Jags current system, especially with a bit of help on that O-Line.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Rudolph ain't it folks.

He's a good college QB but I don't like how that skillset translates at all. I think he'll look lost in the NFL and doesn't have the arm or mental processing to compensate. Very nice touch passer but that's it. Big meh

(10-21-2017, 04:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: Rudolph ain't it folks.  

He's a good college QB but I don't like how that skillset translates at all. I think he'll look lost in the NFL and doesn't have the arm or mental processing to compensate. Very nice touch passer but that's it. Big meh

He would definitely benefit from sitting for a year behind a vet.

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2017, 06:18 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

You and I must be watching two different QB's. Admittedly, today wasn't his best game, but it was far from terrible. The Cowboys played overly conservative and ran the ball like 51 times, even though the run game was getting stuffed. The play calling was ridiculously predictable. They ran on first down, they ran on second down and sometimes they passed on 3rd down, but only if it was 3rd and long. Rudolph threw a sure TD pass on a slant to McCleskey that hit him right between the numbers, but he dropped the ball. There were a lot of things that factored into that low score, but bad QB play wasn't one of them. I still view him as the most consistently accurate QB in this class and I'd still take him as the first QB with Rosen 2nd and Mayfield 3rd, although the kid from N.C. State (Finley) is slowly winning me over as well. I really like him. Darnold and Allen need to stay in school.

(10-21-2017, 05:15 PM)JNev Wrote:

He would definitely benefit from sitting for a year behind a vet.

That would be ideal for any rookie QB coming into the NFL.

(10-21-2017, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

You and I must be watching two different QB's. Admittedly, today wasn't his best game, but it was far from terrible. The Cowboys played overly conservative and ran the ball like 51 times, even though the run game was getting stuffed. The play calling was ridiculously predictable. They ran on first down, they ran on second down and sometimes they passed on 3rd down, but only if it was 3rd and long. Rudolph threw a sure TD pass on a slant to McCleskey that hit him right between the numbers, but he dropped the ball. There were a lot of things that factored into that low score, but bad QB play wasn't one of them. I still view him as the most consistently accurate QB in this class and I'd still take him as the first QB with Rosen 2nd and Mayfield 3rd, although the kid from N.C. State (Finley) is slowly winning me over as well. I really like him. Darnold and Allen need to stay in school.

(10-21-2017, 05:15 PM)JNev Wrote: He would definitely benefit from sitting for a year behind a vet.

More so a comment on his body of work than a comment on the game.  

I don't really like his mental process when he has to get off his first read or play out of structure. He floats every pass, even to the sidelines and quick outs which is a mortal sin for a QB. Arm is average but has amazing touch. If had was a 3rd round pick I'd like him, wouldn't touch him in the 1st as of right now.   

Much prefer Mayfield,Jackson and Rosen for what they bring to the table trait wise.

1. Josh Rosen
2. Lamar Jackson
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Sam Darnold
5. Luke Falk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2017, 08:50 PM by Upper.)

I agree Rudolph is the QB I am most worried being a system QB in this class. Once his first read is off or if he faces any pressure he is donezo.

Jackson was awesome today. His combination of arm strength, lighting quick release, pro concept timings, and ability to turn nothing into chunk plays is drool worthy. His accuracy today was great also save just a couple errant throws, which interestingly all came off of being disrupted and trying to reset to throw.

I like what I watch from Rosen too but every week I see another draftnik leaking that the NFL is really turned off by his lack of work ethic and bad attitude. He and Jackson would be very close 1-2 QBs for me right now otherwise.

Mayfield I would worry about in a lot of systems, but for what our team wants to do I think he would be my 3rd QB. Darnold can be awesome but I just get way too many Bortles flashes from him that I cannot overcome.

charles mcdonald‏ @FourVerts
lamar jackson
baker mayfield
--------
josh rosen
-------
QBs that don't matter

I can dig this list from 4verts.

(10-21-2017, 06:47 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You and I must be watching two different QB's. Admittedly, today wasn't his best game, but it was far from terrible. The Cowboys played overly conservative and ran the ball like 51 times, even though the run game was getting stuffed. The play calling was ridiculously predictable. They ran on first down, they ran on second down and sometimes they passed on 3rd down, but only if it was 3rd and long. Rudolph threw a sure TD pass on a slant to McCleskey that hit him right between the numbers, but he dropped the ball. There were a lot of things that factored into that low score, but bad QB play wasn't one of them. I still view him as the most consistently accurate QB in this class and I'd still take him as the first QB with Rosen 2nd and Mayfield 3rd, although the kid from N.C. State (Finley) is slowly winning me over as well. I really like him. Darnold and Allen need to stay in school.

More so a comment on his body of work than a comment on the game.  

I don't really like his mental process when he has to get off his first read or play out of structure. He floats every pass, even to the sidelines and quick outs which is a mortal sin for a QB. Arm is average but has amazing touch. If had was a 3rd round pick I'd like him, wouldn't touch him in the 1st as of right now.   

Much prefer Mayfield,Jackson and Rosen for what they bring to the table trait wise.

To me, I see an intelligent QB with a very good, yet not elite arm who is able to take something off his passes when he needs to, yet can gun it into tight windows over the middle as well. The only QB's I would consider in round 1 are Rudolph, Rosen, Mayfield (depending on if he is a legit 6' tall) and Finley (although I don't expect him to declare.) I am not a fan of Jackson at all. I want a drop back passer and if he can't find his first read, he wants to take off and run. He is an athletic freak, but running QB's are injury plagued in the NFL and his body just doesn't look like it would hold up.

If we take any QB in round 1, other than the four I mentioned, we'll be doomed and we can't screw this draft up. This is probably the most important draft in the history of the franchise. I'd consider Riley Ferguson in round 2, but I really wanna spend that first round pick on a QB and add another late in the draft as well. Besides, something tells me Ferguson might be off the board by the late first. If we end up taking Josh Allen, I'll probably take a hiatus from following the team. That guy straight up sucks.

(10-21-2017, 07:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 1. Josh Rosen
2. Lamar Jackson
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Sam Darnold
5. Luke Falk

Sam Darnold needs to go back to school. He'll ruin his career if he comes out early. He's not nearly ready. He has regressed terribly this year. His mechanics are sloppy, he's forcing throws and he just looks lost. If he came out now, I see him as a mark Sanchez type. The talent is there, but he needs a lot of work and he can change things if he stays in school and corrects his mistakes. 

Luke Falk seems very pedestrian to me. He rarely if ever throws the ball over 15 yards. Everything is a dink and dunk which makes me believe he's not that accurate of a deep thrower and he may lack arm strength. From what I've seen, his arm looks average at best. I saw three of his games early in the year and I kept waiting for him to chuck a deep throw down the field. I never saw it. It would be hard for me to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy with that kind of question mark surrounding him.

(10-22-2017, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
2. Lamar Jackson
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Sam Darnold
5. Luke Falk

Sam Darnold needs to go back to school. He'll ruin his career if he comes out early. He's not nearly ready. He has regressed terribly this year. His mechanics are sloppy, he's forcing throws and he just looks lost. If he came out now, I see him as a mark Sanchez type. The talent is there, but he needs a lot of work and he can change things if he stays in school and corrects his mistakes. 

Luke Falk seems very pedestrian to me. He rarely if ever throws the ball over 15 yards. Everything is a dink and dunk which makes me believe he's not that accurate of a deep thrower and he may lack arm strength. From what I've seen, his arm looks average at best. I saw three of his games early in the year and I kept waiting for him to chuck a deep throw down the field. I never saw it. It would be hard for me to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy with that kind of question mark surrounding him.

I agree about Darnold for the same reasons. Just can't trust the kid with the football. Falk is hit or miss for a few folks. It depends on what kind of offense you like. Mayfield is honestly my favorite of the group but I think Jackson has a higher ceiling due to his overall athletic ability for the position. It wouldn't hurt my feelings on draft day next year if this front office decides to go up to get Rosen though. Or, if we get lucky and land Mayfield or Jackson. Darnold and Falk are my least favorite.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-22-2017, 03:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Sam Darnold needs to go back to school. He'll ruin his career if he comes out early. He's not nearly ready. He has regressed terribly this year. His mechanics are sloppy, he's forcing throws and he just looks lost. If he came out now, I see him as a mark Sanchez type. The talent is there, but he needs a lot of work and he can change things if he stays in school and corrects his mistakes. 

I agree about Darnold for the same reasons. Just can't trust the kid with the football. Falk is hit or miss for a few folks. It depends on what kind of offense you like. Mayfield is honestly my favorite of the group but I think Jackson has a higher ceiling due to his overall athletic ability for the position. It wouldn't hurt my feelings on draft day next year if this front office decides to go up to get Rosen though. Or, if we get lucky and land Mayfield or Jackson. Darnold and Falk are my least favorite.

I'm bracing myself for the worst. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the commissioner comes to the podium and says, "With the ------ pick in the draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select......... Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming.  Wallbash

(10-22-2017, 09:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm bracing myself for the worst. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the commissioner comes to the podium and says, "With the ------ pick in the draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select......... Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming.  Wallbash

If that's like the 120th pick of the draft then it sounds like a plan.

Josh Allen grad transfering to somewhere for next year would do him a world of good. Maybe somewhere like Michigan

(10-22-2017, 10:14 AM)JackCity Wrote: Josh Allen grad transfering to somewhere for next year would do him a world of good. Maybe somewhere like Michigan

I don't think he'd be any more than a 2nd string QB at Michigan.

(10-22-2017, 10:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 10:14 AM)JackCity Wrote: Josh Allen grad transfering to somewhere for next year would do him a world of good. Maybe somewhere like Michigan

I don't think he'd be any more than a 2nd string QB at Michigan.

As bad as he is at the moment he'd  be the starting QB there easily.

I heard Chris Polian was at the ND vs USC game last night. I'm sure to look at Nelson, McGlinchey, and also get a look at Donald.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017, 08:22 PM by J-Mizzal.)

2. Lamar Jackson
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Sam Darnold
5. Luke Falk

Yes I like Rosen and Jackson the most in the 1st

Lets be real here for the people that are bias against running QBs like Jackson, the two best rookie QBs the last two years are QBs that ran a lot in college, Dak Prescott and Deshaun Watson, you gotta ignore the running and use it as a plus, look at the passing.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

And to a lesser extent, Marcus Mariota the season before that.

(10-22-2017, 08:21 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote:
2. Lamar Jackson
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Sam Darnold
5. Luke Falk

Yes I like Rosen and Jackson the most in the 1st

Lets be real here for the people that are bias against running QBs like Jackson, the two best rookie QBs the last two years are QBs that ran a lot in college, Dak Prescott and Deshaun Watson, you gotta ignore the running and use it as a plus, look at the passing.

Isn't it a little early to be calling this guy one of the two best rookies? He hasn't even played a half season yet. Remember, RG3 started out looking like a star and where is he? Give a player a couple of full seasons before declaring him a success or a failure.