Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Griff's QB Mid-Season Rankings

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017, 06:02 AM by JackCity.)

(10-22-2017, 01:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 06:47 PM)JackCity Wrote: More so a comment on his body of work than a comment on the game.  

I don't really like his mental process when he has to get off his first read or play out of structure. He floats every pass, even to the sidelines and quick outs which is a mortal sin for a QB. Arm is average but has amazing touch. If had was a 3rd round pick I'd like him, wouldn't touch him in the 1st as of right now.   

Much prefer Mayfield,Jackson and Rosen for what they bring to the table trait wise.

To me, I see an intelligent QB with a very good, yet not elite arm who is able to take something off his passes when he needs to, yet can gun it into tight windows over the middle as well. The only QB's I would consider in round 1 are Rudolph, Rosen, Mayfield (depending on if he is a legit 6' tall) and Finley (although I don't expect him to declare.) I am not a fan of Jackson at all. I want a drop back passer and if he can't find his first read, he wants to take off and run. He is an athletic freak, but running QB's are injury plagued in the NFL and his body just doesn't look like it would hold up.

If we take any QB in round 1, other than the four I mentioned, we'll be doomed and we can't screw this draft up. This is probably the most important draft in the history of the franchise. I'd consider Riley Ferguson in round 2, but I really wanna spend that first round pick on a QB and add another late in the draft as well. Besides, something tells me Ferguson might be off the board by the late first. If we end up taking Josh Allen, I'll probably take a hiatus from following the team. That guy straight up sucks.

If he has a very good arm then why can't he drive the ball with zip on quick outs, deep outs or into tight with windows?  

Jackson is usually very good at keeping his eyes up and looking to pass before running unless it's a designed play. He's a passing QB who is an elite runner and athlete. Not the other way around. Petrino is notoriously tough on QBs and doesn't run a simple scheme. Lamars passing scheme is closer to the NFLs than many other QBs. His supporting cast is god awful also.

(10-22-2017, 11:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I heard Chris Polian was at the ND vs USC game last night.  I'm sure to look at Nelson, McGlinchey, and also get a look at Donald.

Nelson looks like he's a homerun pick. Imagine him and Cam on the same side...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017, 06:36 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-23-2017, 06:01 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 01:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: To me, I see an intelligent QB with a very good, yet not elite arm who is able to take something off his passes when he needs to, yet can gun it into tight windows over the middle as well. The only QB's I would consider in round 1 are Rudolph, Rosen, Mayfield (depending on if he is a legit 6' tall) and Finley (although I don't expect him to declare.) I am not a fan of Jackson at all. I want a drop back passer and if he can't find his first read, he wants to take off and run. He is an athletic freak, but running QB's are injury plagued in the NFL and his body just doesn't look like it would hold up.

If we take any QB in round 1, other than the four I mentioned, we'll be doomed and we can't screw this draft up. This is probably the most important draft in the history of the franchise. I'd consider Riley Ferguson in round 2, but I really wanna spend that first round pick on a QB and add another late in the draft as well. Besides, something tells me Ferguson might be off the board by the late first. If we end up taking Josh Allen, I'll probably take a hiatus from following the team. That guy straight up sucks.

If he has a very good arm then why can't he drive the ball with zip on quick outs, deep outs or into tight with windows?  

Jackson is usually very good at keeping his eyes up and looking to pass before running unless it's a designed play. He's a passing QB who is an elite runner and athlete. Not the other way around. Petrino is notoriously tough on QBs and doesn't run a simple scheme. Lamars passing scheme is closer to the NFLs than many other QBs. His supporting cast is god awful also.

(10-22-2017, 11:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I heard Chris Polian was at the ND vs USC game last night.  I'm sure to look at Nelson, McGlinchey, and also get a look at Donald.

Cam and Nelson would have the potential to dominate in the run game like Jones and Hutchinson did in Sea.  for Alexander. Then move Linder to RG.

Cam-Nelson-Shatley-Linder-Parnell

(10-23-2017, 06:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 06:01 AM)JackCity Wrote: If he has a very good arm then why can't he drive the ball with zip on quick outs, deep outs or into tight with windows?  

Cam and Nelson would have the potential to dominate in the run game like Jones and Hutchinson did in Sea.  for Alexander. Then move Linder to RG.  

Cam-Nelson-Shatley-Linder-Parnell
Yeah I like that. I'd probably aim to draft a tackle to replace Parnell eventually and/or target a mid level Oline guy in FA.

(10-23-2017, 06:01 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 01:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: To me, I see an intelligent QB with a very good, yet not elite arm who is able to take something off his passes when he needs to, yet can gun it into tight windows over the middle as well. The only QB's I would consider in round 1 are Rudolph, Rosen, Mayfield (depending on if he is a legit 6' tall) and Finley (although I don't expect him to declare.) I am not a fan of Jackson at all. I want a drop back passer and if he can't find his first read, he wants to take off and run. He is an athletic freak, but running QB's are injury plagued in the NFL and his body just doesn't look like it would hold up.

That's something I think he does well, so I really don't know what you are referring to. Even ESPN analysts have reported all year that he is a big, strong armed QB. I think he has more zip on his slant passes than 90% of the QB's in the NCAA and I believe he throws the best deep ball in college football. I've seen him play 5 full games this season against Tulsa, Pitt, TCU, Texas Tech and Texas, so I really don't know what you're talking about. 

As for Jackson, I can tell a designed run from an improvised one. I'm not doubting that he's an elite athlete, he is, but he is a way better athlete than he is a QB. He relies too much on his running ability and if he does that in the NFL, he's gonna be on I.R. a lot. As for Petrino, if his passing game is so NFL friendly, why hasn't he sent any starting QB's to the NFL yet?

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017, 02:54 AM by FreeAgent01.)

I get that running a lot can lead to injuries. Most people get that. But how much are you going to really penalize a player for injury concerns when he has never been injured in his entire career and has no medical history? The only time I can even really remember him getting up slow is a game where he got racked in his "private area."

The judge of whether a team runs a pro style passing attack is whether they've had any successful starting NFL quarterbacks? That's new to me. I guess 95% of college teams have never run a pro style passing game before in their 100 year histories.

He has, however, prepared multiple quarterbacks to be high draft picks.

Lamar Jackson - (Likely First Rounder)
Tyler Wilson - 4th rounder
Ryan Mallett - 3rd rounder
Brian Brohm - 2nd rounder

Seems like he's done an okay job of developing young quarterbacks to play in the NFL.

(10-23-2017, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 06:01 AM)JackCity Wrote: If he has a very good arm then why can't he drive the ball with zip on quick outs, deep outs or into tight with windows?  

That's something I think he does well, so I really don't know what you are referring to. Even ESPN analysts have reported all year that he is a big, strong armed QB. I think he has more zip on his slant passes than 90% of the QB's in the NCAA and I believe he throws the best deep ball in college football. I've seen him play 5 full games this season against Tulsa, Pitt, TCU, Texas Tech and Texas, so I really don't know what you're talking about. 

As for Jackson, I can tell a designed run from an improvised one. I'm not doubting that he's an elite athlete, he is, but he is a way better athlete than he is a QB. He relies too much on his running ability and if he does that in the NFL, he's gonna be on I.R. a lot. As for Petrino, if his passing game is so NFL friendly, why hasn't he sent any starting QB's to the NFL yet?
Yeah I've watched him a lot and it's something that shows up over and over again. Well if ESPN said it..............  

He has great touch but doesn't drive the ball well or put enough zip on it.  

He's a more advanced QB mentally than Rudolph is at this point and has to work out more pre snap and post snap while also having a much worse supporting cast. Because his QBs have been bad? Mallet, Wilson are just not good QBs. Its pretty common knowledge that Petrino is very tough on his QBs and asks alot of them.. Lamar as shown noticeable development from last year and looks like one of the more mentally advanced QBs in this class. He's a very good QB with a rocket arm , elite athletiscm, and a good mental process backing it all up while also being a good leader and teammate.

(10-24-2017, 02:37 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: I get that running a lot can lead to injuries.  Most people get that.  But how much are you going to really penalize a player for injury concerns when he has never been injured in his entire career and has no medical history?  The only time I can even really remember him getting up slow is a game where he got racked in his "private area."

The judge of whether a team runs a pro style passing attack is whether they've had any successful starting NFL quarterbacks?  That's new to me.  I guess 95% of college teams have never run a pro style passing game before in their 100 year histories.

Seems like he's done an okay job of developing young quarterbacks to play in the NFL.

RG3 wasn't hurt in college that much either and when he started running around in the NFL it essentially ended his career. The NFL has the best of the best. Jackson isn't gonna be able to rack up huge stats like he did against Kent State, Murray State and Boston College. In the NFL, he's gonna have to learn to sit in the pocket and wait for his reads to develop. Linebackers, Safeties and D-Linemen in the NFL are bigger, faster and they hit a lot harder. If he takes off and runs, even at a rate half of what he does now, he's gonna get injured. It's inevitable. 

Getting QB's to be high draft picks mean nothing if those guys are failures in the NFL. All that list of QB's does, is show me that Petrino's system is not NFL friendly and disguises the flaws of those QB's. Maybe Jackson will be the exception, but I'm looking at history and between the system he is in and the massive amounts of chances he takes by running the football, I just don't believe Jackson is a good option. 

That's just my opinion.

(10-24-2017, 02:44 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's something I think he does well, so I really don't know what you are referring to. Even ESPN analysts have reported all year that he is a big, strong armed QB. I think he has more zip on his slant passes than 90% of the QB's in the NCAA and I believe he throws the best deep ball in college football. I've seen him play 5 full games this season against Tulsa, Pitt, TCU, Texas Tech and Texas, so I really don't know what you're talking about. 

Yeah I've watched him a lot and it's something that shows up over and over again. Well if ESPN said it..............  

He's a more advanced QB mentally than Rudolph is at this point and has to work out more pre snap and post snap while also having a much worse supporting cast. Because his QBs have been bad? Mallet, Wilson are just not good QBs. Its pretty common knowledge that Petrino is very tough on his QBs and asks alot of them.. Lamar as shown noticeable development from last year and looks like one of the more mentally advanced QBs in this class. He's a very good QB with a rocket arm , elite athletiscm, and a good mental process backing it all up while also being a good leader and teammate.

I guess you and I can agree to disagree, because I see a QB who's strength is the "zip" he puts on the passes, especially on 15-20 yard crossing patterns. That, along with his unbelievable accuracy and ability to throw a great deep ball, makes me believe he is ideal. I see him as a much more polished and NFL ready QB than Jackson. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a QB though. If you value athleticism, then yes, Jackson is the better prospect, but personally, I could care less about athleticism at the QB position. Tom Brady is a terrible "athlete" when it comes to 40 times and strength and he's still the best QB to walk the planet. I value football I.Q., leadership, accuracy and instincts over anything else. That's what I see in Rudolph. That's just my opinion though. If you think differently, that's your right. To each their own.

(10-24-2017, 07:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 02:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah I've watched him a lot and it's something that shows up over and over again. Well if ESPN said it..............  

I guess you and I can agree to disagree, because I see a QB who's strength is the "zip" he puts on the passes, especially on 15-20 yard crossing patterns. That, along with his unbelievable accuracy and ability to throw a great deep ball, makes me believe he is ideal. I see him as a much more polished and NFL ready QB than Jackson. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a QB though. If you value athleticism, then yes, Jackson is the better prospect, but personally, I could care less about athleticism at the QB position. Tom Brady is a terrible "athlete" when it comes to 40 times and strength and he's still the best QB to walk the planet. I value football I.Q., leadership, accuracy and instincts over anything else. That's what I see in Rudolph. That's just my opinion though. If you think differently, that's your right. To each their own.
Athletiscm doesn't make a great QB. Being a great passer along with being very mobile is a big + in today's NFL. Guys like Dak, Wentz, Alex Smith, Luck, Wilson etc etc all use it to great effect. Jackson's up their with Cam and Vick but is way more refined than both.  

I don't mind Rudolph as a QB at all. Just in the NFL I don't see him as having a high ceiling and being anything more than a low end starter.  Probably my #4 guy in this class.

(10-24-2017, 06:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 02:37 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: I get that running a lot can lead to injuries.  Most people get that.  But how much are you going to really penalize a player for injury concerns when he has never been injured in his entire career and has no medical history?  The only time I can even really remember him getting up slow is a game where he got racked in his "private area."

The judge of whether a team runs a pro style passing attack is whether they've had any successful starting NFL quarterbacks?  That's new to me.  I guess 95% of college teams have never run a pro style passing game before in their 100 year histories.

RG3 wasn't hurt in college that much either and when he started running around in the NFL it essentially ended his career. The NFL has the best of the best. Jackson isn't gonna be able to rack up huge stats like he did against Kent State, Murray State and Boston College. In the NFL, he's gonna have to learn to sit in the pocket and wait for his reads to develop. Linebackers, Safeties and D-Linemen in the NFL are bigger, faster and they hit a lot harder. If he takes off and runs, even at a rate half of what he does now, he's gonna get injured. It's inevitable. 

Getting QB's to be high draft picks mean nothing if those guys are failures in the NFL. All that list of QB's does, is show me that Petrino's system is not NFL friendly and disguises the flaws of those QB's. Maybe Jackson will be the exception, but I'm looking at history and between the system he is in and the massive amounts of chances he takes by running the football, I just don't believe Jackson is a good option. 

That's just my opinion.

RG3 tore his ACL and missed an entire season in college... The same ACL he tore with the Redskins... And it didn't happen while he was running around - it was a bad snap that he was trying to pick up.

Most of Lamar Jackson's run plays are called from the sidelines in read/option. It's not like he's looking downfield and taking off after his first read. He's far from Johnny Manziel.

You don't think a coach who got most of his quarterbacks to be highly touted draft prospects even though they never had the skills to play in the NFL is impressive? Ryan Mallett wasn't drafted because of his scrambling ability, let me assure you of that. Your logic is so far flawed it makes it difficult to argue with. How many starting quarterbacks did North Dakota State produce before Carson Wentz? Heath Shuler busted so it must be proof that Phil Fulmer didn't have a pro style passing game and therefore Peyton Manning should have never been drafted because he wasn't prepared to be a pro passer. Mind bottling.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017, 12:21 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-24-2017, 08:50 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 06:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: RG3 wasn't hurt in college that much either and when he started running around in the NFL it essentially ended his career. The NFL has the best of the best. Jackson isn't gonna be able to rack up huge stats like he did against Kent State, Murray State and Boston College. In the NFL, he's gonna have to learn to sit in the pocket and wait for his reads to develop. Linebackers, Safeties and D-Linemen in the NFL are bigger, faster and they hit a lot harder. If he takes off and runs, even at a rate half of what he does now, he's gonna get injured. It's inevitable. 

That's just my opinion.

RG3 tore his ACL and missed an entire season in college...  The same ACL he tore with the Redskins...  And it didn't happen while he was running around - it was a bad snap that he was trying to pick up.

Most of Lamar Jackson's run plays are called from the sidelines in read/option.  It's not like he's looking downfield and taking off after his first read.  He's far from Johnny Manziel.

You don't think a coach who got most of his quarterbacks to be highly touted draft prospects even though they never had the skills to play in the NFL is impressive?  Ryan Mallett wasn't drafted because of his scrambling ability, let me assure you of that.  Your logic is so far flawed it makes it difficult to argue with.  How many starting quarterbacks did North Dakota State produce before Carson Wentz?  Heath Shuler busted so it must be proof that Phil Fulmer didn't have a pro style passing game and therefore Peyton Manning should have never been drafted because he wasn't prepared to be a pro passer.  Mind bottling.

I forgot about RG3 tearing his MCL, but don't you think all the running he did, might've contributed to the injury?

I could argue that those QB's might've had the talent to be NFL QB's, but Petrino's system didn't prepare them for the NFL and put them at a huge disadvantage. There's two sides to every coin. Ryan Mallett was drafted purely on his arm talent, but the guy was a head case. I could draw a lot of comparisons to him and Ryan Leaf, except Mallett wasn't quite as bad. 

Carson Wentz is just a special player. As I said in another post, when he entered the draft, I had the highest grade on him that I'd given a QB since Andrew Luck. He just has that "it" factor. Although he is having an outstanding year, I will still reserve judgement on him, at least until after his first contract is completed, but so far, he appears to be a stud. Heath Schuler and Peyton Manning are two completely different prospects from Jackson. They have totally different skill sets and were asked to do totally different things than Jackson is doing. Both were pure drop back passers, who only ran when they were flushed from the pocket, so I don't get the comparison to Jackson. It's not so "mind bottling." Just let you mind out of that bottle.  Smile

(10-24-2017, 12:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 08:50 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: RG3 tore his ACL and missed an entire season in college...  The same ACL he tore with the Redskins...  And it didn't happen while he was running around - it was a bad snap that he was trying to pick up.

Most of Lamar Jackson's run plays are called from the sidelines in read/option.  It's not like he's looking downfield and taking off after his first read.  He's far from Johnny Manziel.

You don't think a coach who got most of his quarterbacks to be highly touted draft prospects even though they never had the skills to play in the NFL is impressive?  Ryan Mallett wasn't drafted because of his scrambling ability, let me assure you of that.  Your logic is so far flawed it makes it difficult to argue with.  How many starting quarterbacks did North Dakota State produce before Carson Wentz?  Heath Shuler busted so it must be proof that Phil Fulmer didn't have a pro style passing game and therefore Peyton Manning should have never been drafted because he wasn't prepared to be a pro passer.  Mind bottling.

I forgot about RG3 tearing his MCL, but don't you think all the running he did, might've contributed to the injury?

I could argue that those QB's might've had the talent to be NFL QB's, but Petrino's system didn't prepare them for the NFL and put them at a huge disadvantage. There's two sides to every coin. Ryan Mallett was drafted purely on his arm talent, but the guy was a head case. I could draw a lot of comparisons to him and Ryan Leaf, except Mallett wasn't quite as bad. 

Carson Wentz is just a special player. As I said in another post, when he entered the draft, I had the highest grade on him that I'd given a QB since Andrew Luck. He just has that "it" factor. Although he is having an outstanding year, I will still reserve judgement on him, at least until after his first contract is completed, but so far, he appears to be a stud. Heath Schuler and Peyton Manning are two completely different prospects from Jackson. They have totally different skill sets and were asked to do totally different things than Jackson is doing. Both were pure drop back passers, who only ran when they were flushed from the pocket, so I don't get the comparison to Jackson. It's not so "mind bottling." Just let you mind out of that bottle.  Smile

College coaches don't put their systems in place in order to develop QBs for the NFL. They do it in order to run the offense they want.  

As far as passing schemes go, the one Petrino runs at Louisville is closer to what you see in the NFL than the one Rudolph runs at Oklahoma state. Jackson plays in a more complex scheme, has to do more pre snap and post and runs it very well despite much worse supporting cast. Yet you praise Rudolphs football IQ over Jackson's? In what area does Rudolphs football IQ exceed Jackson's?

(10-24-2017, 02:29 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 12:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I forgot about RG3 tearing his MCL, but don't you think all the running he did, might've contributed to the injury?

College coaches don't put their systems in place in order to develop QBs for the NFL. They do it in order to run the offense they want.  

As far as passing schemes go, the one Petrino runs at Louisville is closer to what you see in the NFL than the one Rudolph runs at Oklahoma state. Jackson plays in a more complex scheme, has to do more pre snap and post and runs it very well despite much worse supporting cast. Yet you praise Rudolphs football IQ over Jackson's? In what area does Rudolphs football IQ exceed Jackson's?

Rudolph makes the right reads and going through his progressions. He is patient and waits for things to develop, rather than taking off and running immediately. When no one is open, he throws the ball away instead of taking unwanted sacks and he knows which windows he can throw into and which ones are too risky to try. To me, that's what a QB is supposed to do and that's where I see a major difference between him and Jackson. That's just my opinion based upon what I've seen this year.

(10-24-2017, 08:10 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 07:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I guess you and I can agree to disagree, because I see a QB who's strength is the "zip" he puts on the passes, especially on 15-20 yard crossing patterns. That, along with his unbelievable accuracy and ability to throw a great deep ball, makes me believe he is ideal. I see him as a much more polished and NFL ready QB than Jackson. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a QB though. If you value athleticism, then yes, Jackson is the better prospect, but personally, I could care less about athleticism at the QB position. Tom Brady is a terrible "athlete" when it comes to 40 times and strength and he's still the best QB to walk the planet. I value football I.Q., leadership, accuracy and instincts over anything else. That's what I see in Rudolph. That's just my opinion though. If you think differently, that's your right. To each their own.
Athletiscm doesn't make a great QB. Being a great passer along with being very mobile is a big + in today's NFL. Guys like Dak, Wentz, Alex Smith, Luck, Wilson etc etc all use it to great effect. Jackson's up their with Cam and Vick but is way more refined than both.  

I don't mind Rudolph as a QB at all. Just in the NFL I don't see him as having a high ceiling and being anything more than a low end starter.  Probably my #4 guy in this class.
Jackson isn't on Cam nor Vicks level imo

(10-24-2017, 03:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 08:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: Athletiscm doesn't make a great QB. Being a great passer along with being very mobile is a big + in today's NFL. Guys like Dak, Wentz, Alex Smith, Luck, Wilson etc etc all use it to great effect. Jackson's up their with Cam and Vick but is way more refined than both.  

As an athlete and a runner? He's definitely up with those two. As a passer he's already more advanced than Vick was at this point and more refined than Cam was.

(10-24-2017, 03:40 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 03:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jackson isn't on Cam nor Vicks level imo

As an athlete and a runner? He's definitely up with those two. As a passer he's already more advanced than Vick was at this point and more refined than Cam was.

I disagree but if this is the case he is a lock to go first overall

(10-24-2017, 12:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 08:50 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: RG3 tore his ACL and missed an entire season in college...  The same ACL he tore with the Redskins...  And it didn't happen while he was running around - it was a bad snap that he was trying to pick up.

Ryan Mallett played for Bill Belichick. Bill Belichick can't coach up a quarterback either? Or is your stance really that Petrino damaged him so badly he became irrepairable to even Belichick?

No, Jackson isn't asked to do totally different things than Manning or Shuler were in the pass game. They are very similar. What you can't separate is the difference between rushing attacks and passing attacks. When Louisville runs, they run the read/option and Jackson runs for two thirds of Louisville's designed rushes. When they call a pass he drops back and passes normally like any pure, drop back, pocket quarterback. He throws to a full route tree with pro concepts and pro reads. He throws the ball more than Mason Rudolph does. Mason Rudolph has very few pro concepts in his game and has one of the best college deep threats off all time in Washington. His rushes aren't predominantly scrambling otherwise the dude would be attempting 60 passes per game average. If an NFL head coach doean't want him running very often - guess what? He doesn't have to call designed quarterback runs.

Just a question for you. Using your logic, what successful starting quarterback has Gundy produced? I do remember him when he was a man, and also 40, when he defended one of his underwhelming quarterbacks.

(10-24-2017, 03:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 08:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: Athletiscm doesn't make a great QB. Being a great passer along with being very mobile is a big + in today's NFL. Guys like Dak, Wentz, Alex Smith, Luck, Wilson etc etc all use it to great effect. Jackson's up their with Cam and Vick but is way more refined than both.  

He is probably more athletic than both. He has RG3's athleticism, except he breaks tackles like a behemoth like Cam. His arm looks like he received an arm transplant staright from Vick, except right handed. High praise, but I honestly believe he is by far the most gifted runner at quarterback to ever enter the draft. He has an elite arm and is an above average passer.

(10-24-2017, 04:59 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 12:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I forgot about RG3 tearing his MCL, but don't you think all the running he did, might've contributed to the injury?

Ryan Mallett played for Bill Belichick.  Bill Belichick can't coach up a quarterback either?  Or is your stance really that Petrino damaged him so badly he became irrepairable to even Belichick?

No, Jackson isn't asked to do totally different things than Manning or Shuler were in the pass game.  They are very similar.  What you can't separate is the difference between rushing attacks and passing attacks.  When Louisville runs, they run the read/option and Jackson runs for two thirds of Louisville's designed rushes.  When they call a pass he drops back and passes normally like any pure, drop back, pocket quarterback.  He throws to a full route tree with pro concepts and pro reads.  He throws the ball more than Mason Rudolph does.  Mason Rudolph has very few pro concepts in his game and has one of the best college deep threats off all time in Washington.  His rushes aren't predominantly scrambling otherwise the dude would be attempting 60 passes per game average.  If an NFL head coach doean't want him running very often - guess what?  He doesn't have to call designed quarterback runs.

Just a question for you.  Using your logic, what successful starting quarterback has Gundy produced?  I do remember him when he was a man, and also 40, when he defended one of his underwhelming quarterbacks.

You and I will never agree on Jackson and I don't see this changing at all. I have Rudolph, Rosen, Mayfield and Finley a top my QB list right now and as much as I've seen this season, I don't see this changing much. Jackson does not impress me other than his athletic ability and that isn't enough to make me wanna spend a first round draft pick on him. It's just my opinion and you're entitled to yours. 

As for Gundy, I never claimed that he coached any NFL QB's that turned out any good.

(10-24-2017, 05:06 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 03:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jackson isn't on Cam nor Vicks level imo

He is probably more athletic than both.  He has RG3's athleticism, except he breaks tackles like a behemoth like Cam.  His arm looks like he received an arm transplant staright from Vick, except right handed.  High praise, but I honestly believe he is by far the most gifted runner at quarterback to ever enter the draft.  He has an elite arm and is an above average passer.

If all this is true, he is a lock to go at 1 overall.  Not gonna happen though because this isnt true.  He has a big arm but not on Vicks level and he isnt as fast as Vick either.  Cam and Tebow are better runners because of there size, if Jackson tries to run in the pros like he does in college he will be on IR before you know it.