Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I knew McCaffrey wouldn't be good

And here I thought all of the morons were in the covid thread...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-14-2020, 09:00 PM)Rico Wrote: And here I thought all of the morons were in the covid thread...

Ohh no. We get around.

(04-14-2020, 05:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 04:53 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Please provide me with one example of a white running back in the last 20 years who has had a HOF career. Exactly. They don’t exist

So, just stupid then.  Got it. 

If you watch McCaffery play football, and then come away from that saying to yourself that “he’s pretty good, but it will certainly never last or add up to a HOF career because I’ve never seen a player of his skin tone do that before at his position” then you are exactly as stupid as all of morons who thought a black quarterback would never succeed in this league.

Exactly right on several levels.

McCaffrey can flat out play, no matter what his color is.  Not he can play well "for a white guy." He can play well, period.  I've seen just about every game in Jaguars history.  Not many RBs-irrespective of race- have done to the Jaguars what McCaffrey did to us last year.  I don't know if he will be a hall of famer.  It's way too soon to make that determination.  RB is a position that takes too much punishment to make such proclamations.  But if he continues what he did last year for the next few years, he will have had a career most players-irrespective of race- would be proud to have.  Whether he does or not, it won't be because he's white. 

That said, racial stereotypes have worked against players both black and white.  There are people who thought blacks can't play cerebral positions like QB, C, and MLB.  There are people now who think whites can't play RB or CB.  I don't get that, either.  If whites are athletic enough to excel as mobile QBs, WRs and safeties, they can succeed playing RB and CB.  I think just like blacks were often moved from QB to WR or DB, I think whites who would otherwise succeed at WR, RB or CB are switched to other positions, and it has a residual effect.  White kids don't see other whites playing those positions on the professional level, it can have the effect of  dissuading other white kids from trying to play those same positions.  

It's sad to even have this discussion to be honest.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-14-2020, 10:27 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: This thread is not good for people trying to avoid touching their faces with their hands.

Underrated. Bravo.

I guess I didn’t think too carefully about things when I worded my post. It is wrong to characterize any type of player, or human being for that matter, by race.

Reflecting back to before I was born, the history I’ve seen about prejudice against black QBs and MLBs is ridiculous. It’s unfair, and for me to even be compared to that really makes me sit back and think about what I posted..

Maybe it’s my disappointment in Toby gerhart. Maybe it’s my memories of the one year wonder Peyton Hillis Although I suppose these guys were more bruiser-backs.. I’m still not completely sold on white RBs for some reason, but I guess that’s just because they haven’t been all that common in the league.

Maybe instead of digging my heels in I can understand where I was wrong and learn from it.. All of us are capable of changing and I take no shame in changing for the better.. I look forward to watching C Mac next year and seeing what he does, regardless of the color of his skin.

(04-15-2020, 02:14 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 10:27 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: This thread is not good for people trying to avoid touching their faces with their hands.

Underrated. Bravo.

Nice.

(04-15-2020, 09:32 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I guess I didn’t think too carefully about things when I worded my post. It is wrong to characterize any type of player, or human being for that matter, by race.

Reflecting back to before I was born, the history I’ve seen about prejudice against black QBs and MLBs is ridiculous. It’s unfair, and for me to even be compared to that really makes me sit back and think about what I posted..

Maybe it’s my disappointment in Toby gerhart. Maybe it’s my memories of the one year wonder Peyton Hillis Although I suppose these guys were more bruiser-backs.. I’m still not completely sold on white RBs for some reason, but I guess that’s just because they haven’t been all that common in the league.

Maybe instead of digging my heels in I can understand where I was wrong and learn from it.. All of us are capable of changing and I take no shame in changing for the better.. I look forward to watching C Mac next year and seeing what he does, regardless of the color of his skin.

Ahh...progress!

Kudos.

I heard some of this conversation last night on the women's show on 1010XL. One of them said she thought that after the '60s all the racism was gone and the 1970s were a utopia where no one looked at race any more and was shocked, SHOCKED, that fans in places like Chicago and Philly used racial terms to heckle players. I chuckled and reminded myself that being historically literate isn't a prerequisite to blast your opinions at the listening audience.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-15-2020, 11:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 09:32 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I guess I didn’t think too carefully about things when I worded my post. It is wrong to characterize any type of player, or human being for that matter, by race.

Ahh...progress!

Kudos.

Good to see you posting again.. I hope you are in good health

(04-15-2020, 12:30 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 11:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Ahh...progress!

Kudos.

Good to see you posting again.. I hope you are in good health

Better health.  I now have some semblance of normal sight after surgery.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Kudos to you.

(04-15-2020, 11:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Ahh...progress!

Kudos.

Yes. 
Quality post, TK. Well said, and I'll retract my "stupid" remark upon your shift in stance on the matter. 

And @Bullseye - we are all very glad to hear of the improved vision and thankful you're posting regularly.

He's playing like an MVP at the moment. Makes me sick we passed on him. Shanahan knows how to use him though to the best of his abilities.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-01-2023, 08:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He's playing like an MVP at the moment. Makes me sick we passed on him. Shanahan knows how to use him though to the best of his abilities.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Thats who I wanted. He reminded me of Marshal Faulk