Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Rams Game

I did not think Shatley played well.

Maybe ok, considering the competition.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was at the game today and was quite disappointed with the lack of people at the game, especially at the beginning. The fans that did come were loud and into the game for the most part. I certainly have no issues with people not showing up as this team has not really given anyone anything really to cheer about over the last 10+ seasons, but it would have been nice to see a sellout for such a big game.

As a long time season ticket holder, this game was especially frustrating because the Jags continue to find ways to play completely inept football at home at the very worst times. I don't know what it is, but it is very real that the Jags simply are just not a good team at home.  I honestly can't remember seeing a worst special teams performance than what was on the field today...it was a complete and utter joke.  If they don't bring in competition for Myers this week, then you know that it's never going to happen.

It's also very obvious that this team is so scared of Blake turning the ball over that they would rather lose with their defense than try to win with their offense. Blake didn't lose the game today, but he certainly didn't help us win it. He's Gabbert 2.0 and there is no fixing him. There is also no way Leonard is going to survive this season at the rate we are trying to run the ball, but unfortunately it's our only option as help is NOT on the way.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

We really need A-Rob, Fournette IS our offense

The Rams benefited from some glaring no-calls. The kickoff return for a TD should have been called back. Grant was blocked in the back. The play before the blocked punt Lee was egregiously molested. But special teams were atrocious on more than those two plays. Ultimately, the offense isn't good enough to overcome failures of the other units. Special teams and defense needs to play close to perfect for this team to win.

My thoughts. Special teams sucked it up yesterday. Cost us a combined 23 points if you factor in the opening kick off return, the blocked punt, the two missed field goals and then the poor punt that gave them an easy field goal earlier on. This game would have been won to the tune of 23 to 10 or maybe 23 to 17 had the boys did their job mostly on special teams. Blake did okay. He was missing some wide open players though. He missed Lee badly on a crossing route over the middle and he decided to check it down to the FB. I can't fault him entirely though. I put this strictly on Special Teams.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM by copycat.)

(10-16-2017, 03:44 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: The Rams benefited from some glaring no-calls. The kickoff return for a TD should have been called back. Grant was blocked in the back. The play before the blocked punt Lee was egregiously molested. But special teams were atrocious on more than those two plays. Ultimately, the offense isn't good enough to overcome failures of the other units. Special teams and defense needs to play close to perfect for this team to win.

On the same play Bortles was hit very late and of coarse no call.

The fumble recovery should have lead to a touchdown but was blown dead and down by contact by the line judge. Instead we got the ball at the spot of the fumble.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(10-16-2017, 08:22 AM)copycat Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 03:44 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: The Rams benefited from some glaring no-calls. The kickoff return for a TD should have been called back. Grant was blocked in the back. The play before the blocked punt Lee was egregiously molested. But special teams were atrocious on more than those two plays. Ultimately, the offense isn't good enough to overcome failures of the other units. Special teams and defense needs to play close to perfect for this team to win.

The fumble recovery should have lead to a touchdown but was blown dead and down by contact by the line judge.  Instead we got the ball at the spot of the fumble.

The refs are supposedy taught in cases like this to err on the side of not blowing the whistle under the rationale that if it is not a fumble, it could always be reversed.  They went against their training on that play.  We should have scored a TD on that play and gotten the momentum.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-16-2017, 08:22 AM)copycat Wrote:

The fumble recovery should have lead to a touchdown but was blown dead and down by contact by the line judge.  Instead we got the ball at the spot of the fumble.
This is being so overlooked that it's basically Judge looking over Altuve.

Colvin had steam, he had blockers and this team attacks when they get a turnover. Momentum would have clearly turned in the Jags favor but instead, we get 3. That play was so clearly a fumble and the refs missed it.

This team beats themselves. The defense can't overcome a bad QB AND 17 points gifted by special teams. Really hoping Westbrook adds something to this offense after the BYE.

Hopefully the Jags can go into INDY and pull out a W and head to the BYE 4-3. Then come out and face a Bengals Oline that is really bad and force some turnovers. Lot of season left but every team knows the formula to beat the Jags and hopefully Marrone can coach around it.

I thought the offensive played bad. No running holes besides first play of game.

I noticed Myles Jack had a bad game. He was getting manhandled against the run.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2017, 09:00 AM by Bullseye.)

There is a lot of talk about Marrone's clock management at the end of both halves.

I have no problem with either strategy.

His strategy was sound at the end of the first half because you don't want to punt in that situation, nor do you want to potentially give the Rams the ball back at midfield with time to get into FG range right before half.  If the passing game were competent, then yes he should have been more aggressive.

At game's end, the team was down two scores and had no times out.  They needed a score anyway, so it made sense to get one early and try to get the ball back with time.

The main problem with both strategies is that Myers is awful.  

No, fifty four yard field goals are not chip shots, but kickers still need to make those.  His leg is strong enough to make them.  That's the justification for keeping him so long.  But when we need him to put points on the board, too often he fails.

(10-16-2017, 08:37 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 08:22 AM)copycat Wrote: On the same play Bortles was hit very late and of coarse no call.

This is being so overlooked that it's basically Judge looking over Altuve.

Colvin had steam, he had blockers and this team attacks when they get a turnover. Momentum would have clearly turned in the Jags favor but instead, we get 3. That play was so clearly a fumble and the refs missed it.

This team beats themselves. The defense can't overcome a bad QB AND 17 points gifted by special teams. Really hoping Westbrook adds something to this offense after the BYE.

Hopefully the Jags can go into INDY and pull out a W and head to the BYE 4-3. Then come out and face a Bengals Oline that is really bad and force some turnovers. Lot of season left but every team knows the formula to beat the Jags and hopefully Marrone can coach around it.

Here is my take on it...  You can't game plan and count on these things to happen.  Just like you don't expect your Special Teams to completely fail the team.

The QB position is being negated and we are going to be up and down because of it.  There is no margin of error with this team at all.  It bothered me that commentators called out Bortles being "frustrated" with 0 passes last week in the second half and how they adapted the game plan this week.  I wish they could get him involved more like they have at the open of each game.

Bortles throws an awful ball that is prime for interception with every throw.  The ball takes forever to get near the receiver.  When he actually gets the ball to a receiver, it isn't in stride or in a window that maximizes YAC or protection for the receiver.  Lee was livid with the refs yesterday and rightfully so.

Is it me or are they coaching Bortles for a single read?  It seems like the flow of the game is dictated by specific targets.  Even though yesterday wasn't on the offense entirely, man they are painful to watch.  Everything is so Jeckyl and Hyde with these guys.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I'm also getting sick of tired of the 3rd and 9 passes that are 5 yards short of the sticks.

(10-16-2017, 09:04 AM)BklynJag Wrote: I'm also getting sick of tired of the 3rd and 9 passes that are 5 yards short of the sticks.

We are all sick of that.  But until the coaching staff has faith in the receivers to get open and Bottles to make the right decisions and get the ball to them...it is not going to change unfortunately.

I just listened on 1010 to Tony Boselli. Boselli called the defense really, really, really good ( I think there were 3 really’s......maybe more). Yesterday, The really, really, really good defense allowed Todd Gurley 116 yards on 23 carries ( 5.0 yards per carry ). 17 of 23 carries were for 4 yards or more, including carries of 7,9,9,8,14,6,11,6,10,6,6 and 9.
I’d probably delete a couple of those “really’s, but that’s just me.
“ I was a male, trapped in a female body........and then I was born. “

(10-16-2017, 09:09 AM)SunriseCottage Wrote: I just listened on 1010 to Tony Boselli. Boselli called the defense really, really, really good ( I think there were 3 really’s......maybe more). Yesterday, The really, really, really good defense allowed Todd Gurley 116 yards on 23 carries ( 5.0 yards per carry ). 17 of 23 carries were for 4 yards or more, including carries of 7,9,9,8,14,6,11,6,10,6,6 and 9.
The defense is really good. Longest run was only 14? Held Goff to 124 yards? Created a turnover which should have resulted in a TD? Held the Rams to a 56 yard FG after Nortman had a 16 yard punt?

If special teams had done their job, Jags win this game by 10+.

(10-16-2017, 09:09 AM)SunriseCottage Wrote: I just listened on 1010 to Tony Boselli. Boselli called the defense really, really, really good ( I think there were 3 really’s......maybe more). Yesterday, The really, really, really good defense allowed Todd Gurley 116 yards on 23 carries ( 5.0 yards per carry ). 17 of 23 carries were for 4 yards or more, including carries of 7,9,9,8,14,6,11,6,10,6,6 and 9.

The run defense is a tad disappointing but these guys are really fast and the CBs cover really well.  Colvin is tackling like a machine.  That tackle he made on the TE was a clinic.  He is playing good from the Nickel.  Telvin Smith is playing really well and his forced fumble was great timing to flip the field.  Too bad we have no offense.
The Khan Years

(10-16-2017, 09:00 AM)Y(OMoJagFan Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 08:37 AM)Frailbones Wrote: This is being so overlooked that it's basically Judge looking over Altuve.

Here is my take on it...  You can't game plan and count on these things to happen.  Just like you don't expect your Special Teams to completely fail the team.

The QB position is being negated and we are going to be up and down because of it.  There is no margin of error with this team at all.  It bothered me that commentators called out Bortles being "frustrated" with 0 passes last week in the second half and how they adapted the game plan this week.  I wish they could get him involved more like they have at the open of each game.

Bortles throws an awful ball that is prime for interception with every throw.  The ball takes forever to get near the receiver.  When he actually gets the ball to a receiver, it isn't in stride or in a window that maximizes YAC or protection for the receiver.  Lee was livid with the refs yesterday and rightfully so.

Is it me or are they coaching Bortles for a single read?  It seems like the flow of the game is dictated by specific targets.  Even though yesterday wasn't on the offense entirely, man they are painful to watch.  Everything is so Jeckyl and Hyde with these guys.
Normally, in a close call on whether it’s a fumble or not, the referees allow the play to continue, with the theory that it can be reversed after review. That play should have been allowed to continue, then the review would have confirmed that it was indeed a fumble.
“ I was a male, trapped in a female body........and then I was born. “

Unless the defense scores, we can't win. We have one playmaker on offense and when they stack the box, they shut him down. His first run was great but then they pretty much shut him down the rest of the game. Teams don't fear our passing game. If they shut down the run they shut down the offense.

Our defense can't keep winning games for us and producing most of our points.
Here we go again

(10-16-2017, 09:14 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:

Too bad we have no offense.

We have plenty of offense for having no WRs. This is Tom Coughlin offense. Jags are 10th in total offense 

2015- Jags were 10th in passing and 27th in rushing ------ #18 overall

2017- Jags are 27th in passing and 1st in rushing  ------   #10 overall

It doesn't matter how you get it done. Rushing/defense is Coughlin football. If the Jags DID ever bring in a new QB, he would be doing the same exact thing. This is what Coughlin     wants.

(10-16-2017, 09:23 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 09:14 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:  Too bad we have no offense.

We have plenty of offense for having no WRs. This is Tom Coughlin offense. Jags are 10th in total offense 

2015- Jags were 10th in passing and 27th in rushing ------ #18 overall

2017- Jags are 27th in passing and 1st in rushing  ------   #10 overall

It doesn't matter how you get it done. Rushing/defense is Coughlin football. If the Jags DID ever bring in a new QB, he would be doing the same exact thing. This is what Coughlin     wants.

You are right Coughlin loves balance above all else but I'm pretty sure he wants his QB to hit a WR in stride.  I understand I'm being overly harsh on Bortles and yesterday wasn't his fault.  I'll even blame his staggering lack of development on keeping Gus past his expiration date but dang.
The Khan Years