Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Where is the Play Action?

(10-18-2017, 03:16 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 06:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: He means making the defense think he handed it off to the running back, when in actuality, he kept the ball.  Boomer Esiasion was the best I ever saw at selling the play action. 

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uWlFdXC8v8

Ol' Jughead was real good at it too

Jughead was real good at it,, but I gotta give the best at doing it to Boomer. 

Boomer was never one of the elite QBs, but he was the best I ever saw at play-faking in a number of ways.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-18-2017, 06:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 10:49 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: What do you mean by "selling" play action?

He means making the defense think he handed it off to the running back, when in actuality, he kept the ball.  Boomer Esiasion was the best I ever saw at selling the play action. 

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uWlFdXC8v8

Garrard was great at play action as well. He'd totally dupe defenses. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017, 09:48 AM by B2hibry.)

Play action only works if receivers can get separation. Aside from ARob, all of ours get jammed at the LOS. I'd like to see more Benn on the field. He is the other receiver that tends to get off the jam. Curious as to what Strong could do as well. We need at least one guy to get off the line clean to open up the field for the others.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Any word on Strong? Last I heard he was injured.

(10-20-2017, 09:47 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Play action only works if receivers can get separation. Aside from ARob, all of ours get jammed at the LOS. I'd like to see more Benn on the field. He is the other receiver that tends to get off the jam. Curious as to what Strong could do as well. We need at least one guy to get off the line clean to open up the field for the others.

ARob didn't get a lot of separation either... hence all the jump balls he tended to come down with.

(10-20-2017, 09:47 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Play action only works if receivers can get separation. Aside from ARob, all of ours get jammed at the LOS. I'd like to see more Benn on the field. He is the other receiver that tends to get off the jam. Curious as to what Strong could do as well. We need at least one guy to get off the line clean to open up the field for the others.

You dont only have to use play action for deep passes, you can use play action have your TE's block for a sec then go out on a route

I dont think we have used Koack and O'Shannasy enough, those are the guys that should be able to help Blake
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(10-20-2017, 12:33 PM)Kane Wrote:

ARob didn't get a lot of separation either... hence all the jump balls he tended to come down with.

Not a lot no, but he got enough to draw attention. This forced safeties to cheat to his side and allowing other receivers to get open. Don't have that at the moment.

(10-20-2017, 01:03 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote:

You dont only have to use play action for deep passes, you can use play action have your TE's block for a sec then go out on a route

I dont think we have used Koack and O'Shannasy enough, those are the guys that should be able to help Blake

Don't need the ball deep but with the crowded box lately, it would sure be nice to get behind the LBs. We need to take what is given and that is tons of 10-15 yard deep holes in the middle and outside the numbers. I'm with ya on using the pass catching TEs more. Time to see what the OL can do without Marcedes as a band-aid and get the TEs out beyond the LOS.

Some things to remember when looking for play-action is that:

- they'll use it sparingly against the better pass rushes
- they run out of shotgun a lot - so they can be deceptive passing from that formation even if they don't fake the handoff

That said - I'd like to see a bit more PA this week.