Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DOW passes 23K

(10-20-2017, 07:40 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 05:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You do understand that The President doesn't write policy don't you?

As far as the huge tax "refund", I would bet that the majority of people that get a tax "refund" either pay very little tax or they don't actually pay taxes at all.

You don't seem to know how the legislative process works. Please read up on how tax reform happened under Ronald Reagan.

The president is leader of his party and gets the most media attention. He needs to be the one who sells any kind of tax plan to the American people. Ronald Reagan worked his butt off selling his plan and it took a while. But he actually knew what he was talking about.

Also - we all realize how many who get a refund don't pay taxes - that's why I called it free money. Which apparently doesn't bother you or other Trumpsters. Worrying about deficits are so old school. 

And I hope everyone understands that you don't know what you are supporting. The public relations info is just that - pr. The actual bill is being written in secret. Kind of like repeal and replace.

Tax reform will improve the economy. Wow - such a clear talking point. We know it will help some. I wonder who?
The deficit certainly can't be reduced if you take in less while you spend the same, or more. I thought Trump wasn't some same old type of politician. That didn't last long.

Me, it will help me. Thats all that matters.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2017, 03:02 AM by wrong_box.)

(10-20-2017, 01:28 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Anyone else remember how, for years, we’d hear about how a Democrat would come into office and the stock market would increase? We’d always see the argument that it’s because of their economy. Now that it’s happening with Trump, is it his predecessor’s successes or is that argument no longer valid?

perhaps consumer confidence is part of the reason...when consumers are optimistic that the economy is good and will stay good they spend more money

(10-20-2017, 06:34 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:49 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: And how is President Trump coming with the spending reform?  Last I heard, he had pledged to never touch Social Security or Medicare, and to increase the defense budget.  That's about 80% of the budget, isn't it?

Medicaid is a big part of the budget, as is interest on the debt.

You are right that there will probably not be any spending reform, but the President can only approve or veto spending. The budget is the responsibility of congress. Trump has cut spending where he has control, such as payments to the UN. Admittedly these are a drop in the bucket.

The President is the leader of his political party.  Kicking the can over to Congress is not leadership.  It's more and more obvious the President doesn't want to deal with the mounting federal debt that will eventually bring this country to its knees.

(10-21-2017, 06:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 06:34 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Medicaid is a big part of the budget, as is interest on the debt.

You are right that there will probably not be any spending reform, but the President can only approve or veto spending. The budget is the responsibility of congress. Trump has cut spending where he has control, such as payments to the UN. Admittedly these are a drop in the bucket.

The President is the leader of his political party.  Kicking the can over to Congress is not leadership.  It's more and more obvious the President doesn't want to deal with the mounting federal debt that will eventually bring this country to its knees.

Trump was nominated as a Republican, but the party pretty much disowns him. He was nominated and elected as an outsider by people who were fed up with the establishment. That's what the electorate voted for, and that's what they got.

I do agree that Trump doesn't want to deal with the debt. That puts him among just about everyone Pub or Dem on the issue. What candidate do you think could have cut spending? I was a Ted Cruz supporter partly because I thought he was the only candidate who would be willing to veto a budget to cut spending, but I don't see him having any more progress than Trump at this point if he were elected.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"