Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump to widow: "He knew what he signed up for."

(10-18-2017, 07:04 PM)Last42min Wrote: Trump is hardly an eloquent person, so I believe he could and would say something insensitive when speaking to a widow. I also agree that he could be a narcissist. That said, taking one line out of a conversation without context allows a person to create a narrative that might not fall inline with what is implied. So, all we know is that he said something to the affect of: he knew what he signed up for … but when it happens it hurts anyway. That is all that is given to us, despite there being more to the conversation.

This could be taken one of two ways, based on the context.

1. He knew what he signed up for. He was aware of the risks, but HE chose to do that. The risk is low that one of our servicemen will be harmed in the line of duty, so it's easy to assume they will all make it back safely, but when it happens it hurts anyways. You're not alone in your suffering.  

2. He knew what he signed up for. There are many other men that are unwilling to protect our country, but he did. It takes a brave man to put his life on the line for our freedom. His service to country will be remembered. I never want to lose a member of our military, but when it happens it hurts anyways. I am so sorry for your loss.

The first is a way of explaining away her pain. The second is a way to try to exemplify his courage. It's hard to know what Trump meant without context. My guess is he was meaning to do the latter, but he's just inarticulate. A person who is left leaning then took one of his bumbling sentences and interjected their own idea of what Trump meant instead of trying to understand it. I think all rational people should be hesitant to assume meaning from one line of dialog.

That's pretty much how I look at it.  Something was probably taken out of context, used for political purposes and the media ran with it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Since when is Wilson considered a reliable source for anything? Wilson is a liar and notoriously biased. She can't even keep the quote straight herself. I found no fewer than 5 different quotes she's given during various interviews, and you guys actually trust her to tell the truth?

"I'm sure he knew what he was signing up for, but it still hurts."
"He must have known what he signed up for."
"Well, I guess you knew. He knew what he was getting into when he signed up."
"He knew what he signed up for."
...and finally
"He knew what he signed up for, but when it happens, it hurts anyway."

I don't see a problem with the last quote. I imagine that if Trump said something along these lines, it would be similar to that one. The other ones were given during more recent interviews, and I don't doubt that Wilson changed the words to demonize Trump even more. But yeah, here we have the left unironically preaching about respecting the military. If Trump has done anything right, it should be the amount of respect he's given those in the military.

Look, whatever Drumpf said to who ever he said whatever it was bad and he meant it in the worst possible context, and he probably said it in Russssian to boot.

--- The MSM
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-18-2017, 03:54 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 03:25 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Surely Trump is not the brightest bulb in the dining room, but the one constant is the witch hunt that seems endless in time. It's kind of interesting that the libtard moron just so happen to be in the car while the widow received the call. Seems highly unlikely to me, but carry on, division will make us great once again.

So elected officials are no longer allowed to ride with family members going to meet their deceased loved ones? I'm sure this isn't the first case of it happening.

Not the first and not the last, but certainly not normal protocol for this event/situation.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(10-18-2017, 11:34 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 03:54 PM)TJBender Wrote: So elected officials are no longer allowed to ride with family members going to meet their deceased loved ones? I'm sure this isn't the first case of it happening.

Not the first and not the last, but certainly not normal protocol for this event/situation.

So what's the implication, then? You know the story behind this particular fallen soldier, right? Maybe the exceptional circumstances behind this man's death are why a Congresswoman would have been in the car?

That's not to excuse the politicization of this at all. Frankly, if anyone was going to open her mouth, it should have been the widow's decision to talk and the Congresswoman's corroboration, not the other way around. This was not something that was designed from the start to be a political ploy, but it was made into one, and say what you inevitably will to defend Trump, his words, even if out of context, were far less appropriate than what one would expect the commander in chief to say to the relatives of a slain soldier.

(10-18-2017, 12:12 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Wow - StroudCrowd1 now has a rival for Trump Defender and Boot Licker. B2hibry - are you saying the widow should have agreed with Donald? I assume you'd be ok with saying "just get over it."

After Donald said what he said about John McCain; after treating a Gold Star family the way he did; after threatening an 81 year old Senator with terminal brain cancer, does anyone think this is beyond him?

Donald just seems to be a little rich boy bully who has never had to grow up. No accountability, no empathy (except for himself), no concern for how his actions may affect others. He's just a character in his own movie.

Speaker of characters, who are you?

You don’t know what was said and if you had ever had to let a family member know their loved one was killed in the line of duty, you’d understand how far fetched this story is. Guaranteed the POTUS made this call with minimum SECDEF and/or Chief of Army, along with Secretary of the Army, in the same room. I’ve been in this type of situation a few times and no matter how big of an [BLEEP] you think Trump is, these calls bring you to your knees and humble anyone at any level.

FYI, nobody said “just get over it.”

(10-18-2017, 11:55 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 11:34 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Not the first and not the last, but certainly not normal protocol for this event/situation.

So what's the implication, then? You know the story behind this particular fallen soldier, right? Maybe the exceptional circumstances behind this man's death are why a Congresswoman would have been in the car?

That's not to excuse the politicization of this at all. Frankly, if anyone was going to open her mouth, it should have been the widow's decision to talk and the Congresswoman's corroboration, not the other way around. This was not something that was designed from the start to be a political ploy, but it was made into one, and say what you inevitably will to defend Trump, his words, even if out of context, were far less appropriate than what one would expect the commander in chief to say to the relatives of a slain soldier.

This soldiers death was not what would be considered a high profile or an extraordinary death. This was an Army Sgt. from Miami with a population just over 2.5 million. The Congresswoman was there for other reasons. Not her place to interject regardless of who the POTUS is, especially not hearing the entirety of the conversation. What words of condolences are appropriate? Any besides the ones from POTUS’s mouth right? The timing and nature of this situation reeks!

Says alot about Trump that this is even a story in the first place, whether true or not.

Context is everything. All that is reported was one snippet. He could have said something like:

your son was a very brave man a true American, , he knew what he was signing up for, but his love for country was great and gave the ultimate sacrifice.

But without any context the media is pushing the narrative as:

Hey your son is dead,, sucks for you, any [BLEEP] knows you can get killed if you join the military,he knew what he signed up for.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 06:40 AM by Dumptruck.)

I don’t see what the mom of the fallen soldier has to gain by backing Wilson’s recalling of the conversation. Which is more likely: a woman exploiting her son’s death or Trump saying something awful?

(10-18-2017, 11:55 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 11:34 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Not the first and not the last, but certainly not normal protocol for this event/situation.

So you know exactly what was said and the context then? Because your judging it as "far less appropriate" smacks of bias as well.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 08:34 AM by The Real Marty.)

This whole story is completely pointless. Not only because of the source, or the lack of proof, or the lack of context, but also because it is so unnecessary. We already have hours and hours of VIDEO of Trump saying and doing inane things, we don't need any hearsay evidence that's he's a moron and a weirdo, we have enough direct evidence already.

As for the media, their story is completely accurate. They are reporting that a congressperson is claiming Trump said this stuff. That is absolutely true. I haven't seen anyone in the mainstream media claim that Trump actually said it. They are reporting that it is in dispute what he said.

(10-19-2017, 12:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: Says alot about Trump that this is even a story in the first place, whether true or not.

wait... what?

(10-19-2017, 12:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: Says alot about Trump that this is even a story in the first place, whether true or not.

Says more about the overall, disgusting political climate.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 08:56 AM by B2hibry.)

(10-19-2017, 07:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 11:55 PM)TJBender Wrote: So what's the implication, then? You know the story behind this particular fallen soldier, right? Maybe the exceptional circumstances behind this man's death are why a Congresswoman would have been in the car?

So you know exactly what was said and the context then? Because your judging it as "far less appropriate" smacks of bias as well.

As someone that has been there and done that, yes, excuse my bias when a eccentric Dem forces herself into a situation and blasts the POTUS in the media for a private conversation she was no part of. And this just happens to occur after the Obama/Kelley situation?

(10-19-2017, 08:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: This whole story is completely pointless. Not only because of the source, or the lack of proof, or the lack of context, but also because it is so unnecessary. We already have hours and hours of VIDEO of Trump saying and doing inane things, we don't need any hearsay evidence that's he's a moron and a weirdo, we have enough direct evidence already.

As for the media, their story is completely accurate. They are reporting that a congressperson is claiming Trump said this stuff. That is absolutely true. I haven't seen anyone in the mainstream media claim that Trump actually said it. They are reporting that it is in dispute what he said.

Should have just stopped after the first sentence.

(10-18-2017, 04:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 03:25 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Surely Trump is not the brightest bulb in the dining room, but the one constant is the witch hunt that seems endless in time. It's kind of interesting that the libtard moron just so happen to be in the car while the widow received the call. Seems highly unlikely to me, but carry on, division will make us great once again.

It's not a "witch hunt" if the things he is being criticized for, are at least partially based in fact. He just keeps giving his opponents more fuel, every time he opens his mouth or gets on twitter. He brings it on himself. If he could display even the slightest bit of self control, he wouldn't be criticized so much.

+1  This^so much this!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(10-19-2017, 12:29 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 11:55 PM)TJBender Wrote: So what's the implication, then? You know the story behind this particular fallen soldier, right? Maybe the exceptional circumstances behind this man's death are why a Congresswoman would have been in the car?

This soldiers death was not what would be considered a high profile or an extraordinary death. This was an Army Sgt. from Miami with a population just over 2.5 million. The Congresswoman was there for other reasons. Not her place to interject regardless of who the POTUS is, especially not hearing the entirety of the conversation. What words of condolences are appropriate? Any besides the ones from POTUS’s mouth right? The timing and nature of this situation reeks!

You seem to forget, not surprisingly, that Donald brought this whole issue up - when he was feeling sorry for himself for having to do his duty, and when he was slandering Obama and Bush. Donald always has to make it about Donald. And if a dead serviceman and his widow get caught in the crossfire then so be it. As long as they are talking about Donald and not healthcare or a few other things.

I doubt Donald was insensitive on purpose. He's just not an empathetic guy (except when it's about him). I imagine he was trying to console the widow by saying something about how the mission was dangerous, he knew what he was getting into, but he faced the danger. Or some such. He's just not very articulate when he goes off script or teleprompter. He probably tried to wing it and it come out as being clumsy.

The point is - Donald has another mess of his own making. And of the saddest issue imaginable.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

The fact that so many of you are upset over players kneeling and are so willing to give Trump a pass over what he said here is quite telling. The military was so important when the players were showing disrespect to the flag, but not as important when the President of the country insults a family of a soldier.

I don't care if he misspoke, the family took what he said out of context, he said what he said. It's not hard to believe he said it because he says stupid things on a daily basis now. You all continue to give him a pass and he will continue to do the idiotic things he's doing day after day.

(10-19-2017, 11:57 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: The fact that so many of you are upset over players kneeling and are so willing to give Trump a pass over what he said here is quite telling.  The military was so important when the players were showing disrespect to the flag, but not as important when the President of the country insults a family of a soldier.

I don't care if he misspoke, the family took what he said out of context, he said what he said.  It's not hard to believe he said it because he says stupid things on a daily basis now.  You all continue to give him a pass and he will continue to do the idiotic things he's doing day after day.

Players kneeling are people shoving their nonsense down our throat when all we want is football.
What Trump allegedly said here is not the same.

So one could be upset with one and not the other.

I don't get mad when people are accused of something to which there is no proof. And even still I tend to not care what people say when I deem it unintelligent.
Now... if someone comes knocking on my door, or shoving their face into my living room thru a TV, with some nonsensical political statement I didn't ask for... I might get a lil upset.

One is an invasion of my personal space with political "protests". (btw shouldn't they protest by, idk... refusing to play football until change is enacted? Maybe march in the streets together to bring about change... all these "look at me" protests do is create anarchy and destroy Sunday football)
The other is stupid talk in a political environment that is nothing but slander back and forth. Brought about by a bunch of politicians (Trump included) from both sides of the aisle that spend all day and night saying and doing things to further divide America.

Can't wait for the next POTUS to take office so it can be more of the same... It ain't gettin no better folks.

(10-19-2017, 02:04 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 11:57 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: The fact that so many of you are upset over players kneeling and are so willing to give Trump a pass over what he said here is quite telling.  The military was so important when the players were showing disrespect to the flag, but not as important when the President of the country insults a family of a soldier.

I don't care if he misspoke, the family took what he said out of context, he said what he said.  It's not hard to believe he said it because he says stupid things on a daily basis now.  You all continue to give him a pass and he will continue to do the idiotic things he's doing day after day.

Players kneeling are people shoving their nonsense down our throat when all we want is football.
What Trump allegedly said here is not the same.

So one could be upset with one and not the other.

I don't get mad when people are accused of something to which there is no proof. And even still I tend to not care what people say when I deem it unintelligent.
Now... if someone comes knocking on my door, or shoving their face into my living room thru a TV, with some nonsensical political statement I didn't ask for... I might get a lil upset.

One is an invasion of my personal space with political "protests". (btw shouldn't they protest by, idk... refusing to play football until change is enacted? Maybe march in the streets together to bring about change... all these "look at me" protests do is create anarchy and destroy Sunday football)
The other is stupid talk in a political environment that is nothing but slander back and forth. Brought about by a bunch of politicians (Trump included) from both sides of the aisle that spend all day and night saying and doing things to further divide America.

Can't wait for the next POTUS to take office so it can be more of the same... It ain't gettin no better folks.

This is exactly the same.  Don't talk about Patriotism when it fits your argument about players taking a knee, and then when the president says something absolutely disgusting to a soldier that passed aways family say it was taken out of context or that this is all about politics.  If it was someone in your family you wouldn't see it that way.  People are absolute hypocrites when it comes to politics and each side wants to act like they are better than the other.