Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
State of emergency declared in Alachua County for white supremacist

(10-20-2017, 09:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 12:43 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Have you ever read the First Amendment? It specifies there shall be no law prohibiting speech. Do I need to post a copy of the actual text to show you why FOS is permitted for guys like Richard Spencer?

There are laws against speech that incites violence and are not covered by the First Amendment. Google it.

I am sure a major public university would know all about that if it applies to the kind of speech UF was required to permit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-21-2017, 03:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: There are laws against speech that incites violence and are not covered by the First Amendment. Google it.

Meh, most of those laws are gutted by the Brandenberg Test on appeal. Very few people can be convicted of incitement, as it should be. Agitation for violence intended for political reform is a 1st Amendment right.

Oh, I know. I was just wanting to see where it would go with her rationale and to see if she would actually google it.

(10-21-2017, 09:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 03:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Meh, most of those laws are gutted by the Brandenberg Test on appeal. Very few people can be convicted of incitement, as it should be. Agitation for violence intended for political reform is a 1st Amendment right.

Oh, I know. I was just wanting to see where it would go with her rationale and to see if she would actually google it.

I would rather Google the actual First Amendment text (freedom of speech clause only) and state my interpretations of it than read about violence triggered by hate speeches.

(10-21-2017, 10:47 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 09:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Oh, I know. I was just wanting to see where it would go with her rationale and to see if she would actually google it.

I would rather Google the actual First Amendment text (freedom of speech clause only) and state my interpretations of it than read about violence triggered by hate speeches.

JDub wanna report Spencer to the Mods and get him a warning.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-21-2017, 09:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Oh, I know. I was just wanting to see where it would go with her rationale and to see if she would actually google it.

Are you saying that violence is a natural response to "hate speech"?

(10-22-2017, 01:19 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 10:47 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I would rather Google the actual First Amendment text (freedom of speech clause only) and state my interpretations of it than read about violence triggered by hate speeches.

Only for leftists and with the caveat that anything they disagree with is considered hate.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-22-2017, 01:19 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 10:47 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I would rather Google the actual First Amendment text (freedom of speech clause only) and state my interpretations of it than read about violence triggered by hate speeches.

No, I am saying I don't want to Google something and find reports of violence during hate speeches in my search results.

(10-21-2017, 04:33 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: There are laws against speech that incites violence and are not covered by the First Amendment. Google it.

I am sure a major public university would know all about that if it applies to the kind of speech UF was required to permit.

You've never been to a major public university, have you? Technically, courts have found that the First Amendment does not apply to public universities in many circumstances.They can block anyone or any group from speaking or staging a display.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017, 12:35 PM by americus 2.0.)

I didn't say to google about violence triggered by hate speech. I said to google the laws in place in reference to speech that incites violence that is not necessarily protected freedom of speech under the first amendment.

(10-22-2017, 09:43 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 04:33 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I am sure a major public university would know all about that if it applies to the kind of speech UF was required to permit.

You've never been to a major public university, have you? Technically, courts have found that the First Amendment does not apply to public universities in many circumstances.They can block anyone or any group from speaking or staging a display.

No kidding. I guess she hasn't heard about the universities that turn away conservative speakers often. Or make such a scene the speaker has to leave. Or riot and tear the college campus apart in their hatred of any speech they don't want to hear. No, none of that has happened just in the last year. Not at all.....  Wallbash

(10-20-2017, 06:27 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 12:07 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Someone can disagree with it, but it doesn't mean they have a rational point.

It doesn't mean they don't, either.

The more violent encounters you have with police, the more likely you are to get shot. I'm not even sure their argument would allow them to disagree with my argument. In one poll, 73% of black Americans said police violence is a serious problem. I don't know how many times I pulled someone over for a traffic offense and they literally freak out thinking they're going to die. All the while, I've given them no reason to believe that to be a possibility. My point here is that if black Americans think violence is a serious issue with police, if they increase the number of encounters (violent encounters), then the natural response is to believe that they're increasing the chances of getting killed. How then can they disagree with my conclusion?

While I'm almost certain you won't read this because the President tells you if
it's from the WP, it's fake news, but it addresses your point.

Quote:U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger than the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.

Police have shot and killed a young black man (ages 18 to 29) — such as Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. —175 times since January 2015; 24 of them were unarmed. Over that same period, police have shot and killed 172 young white men, 18 of whom were unarmed. Once again, while in raw numbers there were similar totals of white and black victims, blacks were killed at rates disproportionate to their percentage of the U.S. population. Of all of the unarmed people shot and killed by police in 2015, 40 percent of them were black men, even though black men make up just 6 percent of the nation’s population.

And, when considering shootings confined within a single race, a black person shot and killed by police is more likely to have been unarmed than a white person. About 13 percent of all black people who have been fatally shot by police since January 2015 were unarmed, compared with 7 percent of all white people.

As for your anecdotal "evidence", perhaps the people you pulled over were worried they were guilty of DWB.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did he not say they were speeding and driving erratically?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(10-22-2017, 12:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 09:43 AM)TJBender Wrote: You've never been to a major public university, have you? Technically, courts have found that the First Amendment does not apply to public universities in many circumstances. They can block anyone or any group from speaking or staging a display.

No kidding. I guess she hasn't heard about the universities that turn away conservative speakers often. Or make such a scene the speaker has to leave. Or riot and tear the college campus apart in their hatred of any speech they don't want to hear. No, none of that has happened just in the last year. Not at all.

Guess what?

After Richard Spencer's controversial speech here, a group sued Ohio State for refusing to let them rent space on campus for him to speak there earlier this year. The only reason for TJBender to start his reply like he did is obviously a bad one because I started this thread talking about myself being on UF campus.

(10-24-2017, 08:19 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:

No kidding. I guess she hasn't heard about the universities that turn away conservative speakers often. Or make such a scene the speaker has to leave. Or riot and tear the college campus apart in their hatred of any speech they don't want to hear. No, none of that has happened just in the last year. Not at all.

Guess what?

After Richard Spencer's controversial speech here, a group sued Ohio State for refusing to let them rent space on campus for him to speak there earlier this year. The only reason for TJBender to start his reply like he did is obviously a bad one because I started this thread talking about myself being on UF campus.

I took it to mean as an actual student at one, not just visiting a doctor occasionally on one.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(10-24-2017, 08:28 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 08:19 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Guess what?

I took it to mean as an actual student at one, not just visiting a doctor occasionally on one.

I am sure a lot of college students don't know the rules either.

(10-24-2017, 08:19 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:

Guess what?

"I am sure a major public university would know all about that if it applies to the kind of speech UF was required to permit."

JW