Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
At least 27 dead in Texas shooting

(11-06-2017, 12:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 11:45 AM)Kane Wrote: Meanwhile... bad guys don't apply, just buy their guns on the street.

Like I said before... this shooter applied for a gun license, was denied, still ended up shooting up a church.

You can make it longer for regular joe to get a gun all you want. Bad guys will get em illegally to do illegal things.

Was it a gun permit he was denied or a conceal and carry? I've heard it both ways and I just wanna be clear. 

You'll never stop every bad person from creating a mass shooting, but if we can stop just one, by making things harder for them to get a gun, it would be worth it. If it would help, I don't mind being inconvenienced a while on my next purchase by having to wait longer.

Maybe you prevent some gun crimes by having a long waiting period. Maybe not, since one can purchase a gun illegally on the street, steal one from a relative, or pay someone else to buy it for you. The 2nd Amendment prohibits infringement. Does making someone wait 20 years count as infringement? One year? One month?

Meanwhile, there could be hundreds of women who are assaulted and/or killed because they couldn't purchase a gun quickly enough to defend themselves from an angry ex.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-06-2017, 01:16 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 12:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Was it a gun permit he was denied or a conceal and carry? I've heard it both ways and I just wanna be clear. 

You'll never stop every bad person from creating a mass shooting, but if we can stop just one, by making things harder for them to get a gun, it would be worth it. If it would help, I don't mind being inconvenienced a while on my next purchase by having to wait longer.

Maybe you prevent some gun crimes by having a long waiting period. Maybe not, since one can purchase a gun illegally on the street, steal one from a relative, or pay someone else to buy it for you. The 2nd Amendment prohibits infringement. Does making someone wait 20 years count as infringement? One year? One month?

Meanwhile, there could be hundreds of women who are assaulted and/or killed because they couldn't purchase a gun quickly enough to defend themselves from an angry ex.
Wouldn't that be a reason to do it? Even if it helps stop just one gun crime?

Bad guys do NOT obey the law, PERIOD! How many gun laws were broken for this shooting to happen? More and more laws will NOT prevent another mass shootinig form happening. They will only serve to make it harder for people to defend themselfs.

This seems to be the way the Demcratic party is operating

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

Adolf Hitler from Mein Kampf
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(11-06-2017, 01:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 01:16 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Maybe you prevent some gun crimes by having a long waiting period. Maybe not, since one can purchase a gun illegally on the street, steal one from a relative, or pay someone else to buy it for you. The 2nd Amendment prohibits infringement. Does making someone wait 20 years count as infringement? One year? One month?

Wouldn't that be a reason to do it? Even if it helps stop just one gun crime?

If you read my second paragraph you'd understand that stopping "just one" gun crime might also result in allowing hundreds of domestic murders.

Not to mention you'd have to repeal one of the Bill of Rights amendments to make it constitutional. That's a slippery slope right there, and a prominent Dem senator already proposed repealing the 1st amendment.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(11-06-2017, 02:33 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Bad guys do NOT obey the law, PERIOD!  How many gun laws were broken for this shooting to happen? More and more laws will NOT prevent another mass shootinig form happening. They will only serve to make it harder for people to defend themselfs.

Bad guys don't obey laws, so don't change the laws

Brilliant, just brilliant.   Wallbash

(11-06-2017, 03:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 02:33 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Bad guys do NOT obey the law, PERIOD!  How many gun laws were broken for this shooting to happen? More and more laws will NOT prevent another mass shootinig form happening. They will only serve to make it harder for people to defend themselfs.

We already have laws, they dont work. This isnt hard to understand.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-06-2017, 03:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Not when there's no upside. Laws only serve to provide a basis for arrest and sentencing. Any additional gun laws won't stop someone planning a mass murder and they're not needed for arrest or sentencing. There's already a law against murder.

Are you in favor of making criminals out of millions of otherwise innocent citizens just to unsuccessfully prevent a mass murder?

Must be a coincidence why this doesnt happen since Australia brought in stricter gun laws.

Obviously changing the law itself won't help on its own. You would need a buy back scheme of some sort.

(11-06-2017, 06:01 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Obviously changing the law itself won't help on its own. You would need a buy back scheme of some sort.

Like the Bad Guys are REALLY going to turn in their guns, Sheesh....
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(11-06-2017, 06:01 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Must be a coincidence why this doesnt happen since Australia brought in stricter gun laws.

Obviously changing the law itself won't help on its own. You would need a buy back scheme of some sort.

Is it a coincidence that it didn't happen in your country before the confiscatory laws as well? I mean, really, you had 311 murders in the entire country in 1996, that's a slow week in Chicago. Moreso, does it matter to you at all that the majority of your mass shootings in the 100 years before Port Arthur were conducted by your own government against your people? Now those are the people to whom you gave up your weapons? 

Here in America we will not permit that to happen.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

Drifter, Drifter, Drifter...will you never learn?

Not only was that not a quote by Hitler, nor in Mein Kampf, but it was falsely attributed to Hitler in a book titled Willfully Ignorant. Oh, the rich irony.

The facts are that Hitler did the exact opposite. He did not gradually chip away at human rights, he consolidated power and removed them relatively quickly.

This seems to be the way Trumpettes operate. Throw crap against the wall, hoping nobody will check the facts.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 08:24 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Quoting Adolph Hitler? I'm not touching that one.

[Image: 242835_ecd17bf53314b0db67075291f48ce5e1.jpg]

(11-06-2017, 06:01 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Must be a coincidence why this doesnt happen since Australia brought in stricter gun laws.

That wouldn't work here. You could offer me thousands of dollars for a gun I paid a couple hundred bucks for and I wouldn't take it. I know many people that feel the same way.

(11-06-2017, 06:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Is it a coincidence that it didn't happen in your country before the confiscatory laws as well? I mean, really, you had 311 murders in the entire country in 1996, that's a slow week in Chicago. Moreso, does it matter to you at all that the majority of your mass shootings in the 100 years before Port Arthur were conducted by your own government against your people? Now those are the people to whom you gave up your weapons? 

I doubt anyone is still alive from the era you are discussing. 

So you are saying that government killed people prior to gun control but don't since?

I vote in the government. Why would you vote for people to kill you?

Gun control worked. Now maybe you are happy for these incidents to keep happening so you can keep guns thats ok but be honest.

(11-06-2017, 06:54 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

Drifter, Drifter, Drifter...will you never learn?

Not only was that not a quote by Hitler, nor in Mein Kampf, but it was falsely attributed to Hitler in a book titled Willfully Ignorant. Oh, the rich irony.

The facts are that Hitler did the exact opposite. He did not gradually chip away at human rights, he consolidated power and removed them relatively quickly.

This seems to be the way Trumpettes operate. Throw crap against the wall, hoping nobody will check the facts.

In your effort to bash, you completely missed the point. No, the quote is not verbatim but the OPs point stands.

Not a Snopes link
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(11-06-2017, 08:30 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 06:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Is it a coincidence that it didn't happen in your country before the confiscatory laws as well? I mean, really, you had 311 murders in the entire country in 1996, that's a slow week in Chicago. Moreso, does it matter to you at all that the majority of your mass shootings in the 100 years before Port Arthur were conducted by your own government against your people? Now those are the people to whom you gave up your weapons? 

I doubt anyone is still alive from the era you are discussing. 

So you are saying that government killed people prior to gun control but don't since?

Gun control worked. Now maybe you are happy for these incidents to keep happening so you can keep guns thats ok but be honest.
Gun control, like most government solutions, solved a non-existent problem by taking away people's rights. Murders in Aussieland were almost nonexistent before your draconian law, they are still almost nonexistent today. Every scholarly paper on your society agrees that your buy back and confiscation had no provable impact on your already low crime rate. You gave up your rights for nothing.

Gun laws only work when they are enforced correctly.

Evidently, according the The New York Times the Air Force failed to enter him into the database used for background checks.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-06-2017, 08:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:30 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I doubt anyone is still alive from the era you are discussing. 

Gun control, like most government solutions, solved a non-existent problem by taking away people's rights. Murders in Aussieland were almost nonexistent before your draconian law, they are still almost nonexistent today. Every scholarly paper on your society agrees that your buy back and confiscation had no provable impact on your already low crime rate. You gave up your rights for nothing.
Gun control actually gives you more freedom. Hey i dont need to carry a gun around in fear like you guys do. People potentially shooting you doesn't even cross your mind. You would like it may ease your paranoia

(11-06-2017, 09:14 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Gun control, like most government solutions, solved a non-existent problem by taking away people's rights. Murders in Aussieland were almost nonexistent before your draconian law, they are still almost nonexistent today. Every scholarly paper on your society agrees that your buy back and confiscation had no provable impact on your already low crime rate. You gave up your rights for nothing.
Gun control actually gives you more freedom. Hey i dont need to carry a gun around in fear like you guys do. People potentially shooting you doesn't even cross your mind. You would like it may ease your paranoia

Orwell would be proud of you.

Maybe you need to lay off 1984...