Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No Tight Ends

Wait, there's a tight end butt hurt?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

With the move to having FB in backfield, we will have less 2 TE sets and therefore would have been a luxury pick.  I'm curious to see how Sterling does in camp.  Heard he's bulked up considerably.  Might be diamond in the rough.  Lewis and Koyak for blocking purposes, but can catch underneath.  

i really don't think we'll be talking about our decision to pass on a TE come the regular season, we already have some young guys who are ready to contribute and for what we'll be asking of them... I highly doubt it'll be our biggest concern.

Gary Barnidge may be coming in for a meeting next week if Bills fail to sign him.

Quote:We did not take a TE in the draft, we have to keep a FB, and with Westbrook we're keeping six WRs, so I see them only keeping four TEs and not five. It's even possible they only keep three, but I suspect they'll look to keep four.

I'll attempt to rank the guys on the roster..

1. Marcedes Lewis

2. Ben Koyack

3. Mychal Rivera

4. Neal Sterling

5. Alex Ellis

6. Gannon Sinclair

7. Caleb Bluiett

8. EJ Bibbs

I'm sure there will be at least one PS spot to fill in order to have a 5th TE on the overall roster.

I don't think any of the players drafted in the middle rounds would've offered more upside than Koyack or Sterling. Both of those guys are still developing. We'll be fine. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote:I don't think any of the players drafted in the middle rounds would've offered more upside than Koyack or Sterling. Both of those guys are still developing. We'll be fine. 
I think Kittle will prove to be a quality TE in the league.  Seems to have way more upside than Koyack and better blocking ability than Sterling. 

Of course he didn't last to our 5th and would have been a stretch for our fourth round selection. 

Jonnu Smith on the other hand went in the late 3rd as part of 10 compensatory picks that the league shoe-horned into the late 3rd round. 

I think that had they not done that Smith would have been a major consideration for our fourth round pick.  (Though I'm actually excited about the steal we landed in the fourth)

[Image: 2irq9op.jpg]

We basically took Westbrook rather than drafting aTE. We can all agree that we want Bortles under 30 attempts a game. With Robinson, Lee, D. West, Hurns, and the backs, I just don't see the TE being a big part of the passing offense.

Quote:We basically took Westbrook rather than drafting aTE. We can all agree that we want Bortles under 30 attempts a game. With Robinson, Lee, D. West, Hurns, and the backs, I just don't see the TE being a big part of the passing offense.

With Lewis as our staring TE, this is a good thing. He is so hard to watch when he is running with the ball. And that aweful juke move is just laughable.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017, 05:41 PM by RonSwanson.)

Quote:We basically took Westbrook rather than drafting aTE. We can all agree that we want Bortles under 30 attempts a game. With Robinson, Lee, D. West, Hurns, and the backs, I just don't see the TE being a big part of the passing offense.

Blake has all of the outlets he needs to win despite the TE position group not appearing top tier on paper in May. 

(and yes, I think the position will take a diminished role - as I stated earlier in the thread)

Marcedes and Koyack can be effective blocking and receiving underneath while Rivera and Sterling offer solid hands as "move" TEs in the passing game. 

Westbrook just presented too much value to pass up and offers a great compliment to the (hopefully burgeoning) run game with his speed. 

So Blake got help in the form of Westbrook that may be a greater asset more often than a fourth or fifth round TE would likely have represented. 

[Image: 2irq9op.jpg]