Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did we make the right choices?

In every round I can see a case where a decision was seemingly made between the player we selected and another player. I'm going to attempt here to guess that other player. I'm interested in knowing which player you'd have taken, and why you think the Jaguars chose the player they did over the other.

Here goes....

Round 1 - Leonard Fournette or Jamal Adams

Round 2 - Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp with no trade (see round 6)

Round 3 - Dawuane Smoot or Dan Feeney

Round 4 - Dede Westbrook or Dorian Johnson

Round 5 - Blair Brown or Jordan Leggett

Round 6 - had we not traded for Cam - Bucky Hodges

Round 7 - Jalen Myrick or Stevie Tu'ikolovatu

Round 7 - Marquez Williams or Jerod Evans

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like our guys

The only ones I'm questionable on are Smoot over best OL and Brown over a TE.

Either way I'm very happy with who we picked. No one can say they're bad players.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2017, 02:06 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

To solve the 2nd round question, I believe Lamp was overrated by the board quite a bit for what we're looking to do going forward. Cam Robinson fits that bill and is a mauler who will be slotted at RT for the time being and eventually replace Albert at LT.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I feel like the only round I would have done something differently is the 3rd because I love feeney

1st and 2nd round...right decisions if we wanted to create an identity for the offense.

3rd round Feeney doesn't fit the power OL theme so I'd take Smoot out of the 2 choices.

4th round...I'd have taken Johnson to fit the OL theme but obviously they don't think AR or Lee will be retained and talented WR was there.

Beyond that it's all a crap shoot no matter the pick.

Quote:To solve the 2nd round question, I believe Lamp was overrated by the board quite a bit for what we're looking to do going forward. Cam Robinson fits that bill and is a mauler who will be slotted at RT for the time being and eventually replace Albert at LT.

Ok... but keep in mind it's basically Cam vs Lamp and Hodges. ... although if Cam truly is a 10-year starting LT in time then yeah he is the better pick.

'02

Quote:In every round I can see a case where a decision was seemingly made between the player we selected and another player. I'm going to attempt here to guess that other player. I'm interested in knowing which player you'd have taken, and why you think the Jaguars chose the player they did over the other.

Here goes....

Round 1 - Leonard Fournette or Jamal Adams

Round 2 - Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp with no trade (see round 6)

Round 3 - Dawuane Smoot or Dan Feeney

Round 4 - Dede Westbrook or Dorian Johnson

Round 5 - Blair Brown or Jordan Leggett

Round 6 - had we not traded for Cam - Bucky Hodges

Round 7 - Jalen Myrick or Stevie Tu'ikolovatu

Round 7 - Marquez Williams or Jerod Evans

1.  Fournette

2.  Robinson

3.  Feeney

4.  Johnson

5.  Brown

6,  Hodges

7.  Myrick

7.  Williams

It was a 3/4 good draft that failed to address the pressing needs in the middle rounds in favor of backups with potential for flash.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:1. Fournette

2. Robinson

3. Feeney

4. Johnson

5. Brown

6, Hodges

7. Myrick

7. Williams

It was a 3/4 good draft that failed to address the pressing needs in the middle rounds in favor of backups with potential for flash.
Feeney is zone blocking guard, which is why he fell to the 3rd round. He don't fit the power scheme we want to run
<p style="text-align:center;">[Image: 0mbt2.jpg]

Quote:It was a 3/4 good draft that failed to address the pressing needs in the middle rounds in favor of backups with potential for flash.

"Pressing needs" could not have been filled in the middle rounds.

Expecting a middle rounder (4 and beyond) to start in a need position, is still having a need position.  That's not satisfying a need.  It's merely checking a box and making no improvement at the position.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

To me, it's obvious the Jags did not covet Forrest Lamp nearly as high as Cam Robinson considering they gave up a draft pick to get Cam when they could have easily had Lamp.

Swap our 3rd and 4th round picks and it seems to make more sense although in that scenario there was still a nasty OG Isaac Asante on the board in the 4th (over Smoot) ---  I'll trust TC though since his track record of OL and DL is pretty incredible.

DARKSTAR = The Artist Formerly Known As HURRICANE!!!

Definitely count me in on preferring Lamp w/ Hodges in the 6th round to just Cam Robinson.  

Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

Quote:"Pressing needs" could not have been filled in the middle rounds.

Expecting a middle rounder (4 and beyond) to start in a need position, is still having a need position.  That's not satisfying a need.  It's merely checking a box and making no improvement at the position.
Yes, I know that's your contention.  And it's not without some merit.  But it isn't unreasonable or uncommon to find a starter in round 3.  Just watch the Chargers this year.  They had needs on the O-line.  And they have potentially filled them Their round 2 was Lamp and their round 3 was Feeney.  Both will likely start.  And their line will be better.  Since both are rookies there will be some growing pains.  But barring injury, it will solidify their line for years to come.

May this line will be better simply by adding Cam and the different team atmosphere under Marrone and Coughlin.  But I don't think Feeney is worse than half of our current O-linemen.

It sure is easy to second guess Dave's selections, based purely on publically distributed draftnik data.

Harder to make the choice when your job is on the line.

I thought the Jags might have selected Derek Rivers or Jordan Willis in Rd 3, but they chose Smoot more on his Junior season than his Senior season.

Going into the 2016 season, the thought in most scouting circles was that Smoot could be a late Rd 1 selection and no worse than a Rd 2 selection.

I think Lovie Smith played Smoot too much having lost Jihad Ward to the Raiders in the 2016 draft.

It is a credit to Smoot that he took on the challenge and was very disruptive playing the Strong side DE for Illinois.

Quote:"Pressing needs" could not have been filled in the middle rounds.

Yes, I know that's your contention.  And it's not without some merit.  But it isn't unreasonable or uncommon to find a starter in round 3.  Just watch the Chargers this year.  They had needs on the O-line.  And they have potentially filled them Their round 2 was Lamp and their round 3 was Feeney.  Both will likely start.  And their line will be better.  Since both are rookies there will be some growing pains.  But barring injury, it will solidify their line for years to come.

May this line will be better simply by adding Cam and the different team atmosphere under Marrone and Coughlin.  But I don't think Feeney is worse than half of our current O-linemen.

Avery Gennesy is an intriguing UDFA at Guard who I thought would be a good late draft pick, I think he makes up for not drafting one. I do not think Jerod Evans was a consideration for any team as he hasn't(?) been signed by anyone yet.