Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Need advice on buying a laptop

(11-28-2017, 05:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 04:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: QFT

Yep, no matter how good of a deal that laptop with the AMD processor seems like right now, when it takes 10 seconds for your browser to open in 6 months, you will hate yourself for it, lol.

This isn't typically a symptom of a slow processor.  It's more a symptom of a slow browser, slow operating system, slow Internet connection, or lack of memory.  Windows 10 + Edge or Explorer in my experience is very slow on lower end hardware regardless of what people try to tell me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017, 11:25 PM by TJBender.)

(11-29-2017, 10:45 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I seriously suggest you buy something used off corporate lease from eBay for a couple of hundred dollars. Hp elite book and Lenovo thinkpad are widely available and generally decent notebooks. Unfortunately tablets are a dying market where you either get garbage for a low price or have to pay a high price for reasonable quality.

I like and respect this answer. The ThinkPad T430 and Latitude E6420 are about the best values out there right now if you're willing to take one with a scuff or two on it. Hell, my E6410 looks like it's been through WWII, but it's still perfect for those short little trips when I don't plan on gaming from the road. There are some pretty good ThinkPad 2-in-1 tablets, too. The X220t comes to mind immediately. I've still got an X61t that I will never give up because it's just so doggone useful, Core 2 Duo and all. Runs Lubuntu like a champ.

The new H-series mobile chips from Intel are looking beastly, though. AMD Vega graphics on-die will give them something like R9 380X performance from integrated graphics. Of course, it will probably also make them an FX 9590-level forest fire...

(11-29-2017, 11:13 PM)VisitingCobra Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 05:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Yep, no matter how good of a deal that laptop with the AMD processor seems like right now, when it takes 10 seconds for your browser to open in 6 months, you will hate yourself for it, lol.

This isn't typically a symptom of a slow processor.  It's more a symptom of a slow browser, slow operating system, slow Internet connection, or lack of memory.  Windows 10 + Edge or Explorer in my experience is very slow on lower end hardware regardless of what people try to tell me.

Yes, this does read like a lack of RAM or a badly bloated Windows install more than a CPU problem, but the A-series APUs are, in all fairness and kindness towards them, really really bad. Windows 10 is a bear on RAM. You can run it on 2GB or less, and I have on many occasions when testing out older hardware, but for a really good experience you need at least 4GB of RAM paired with a solid processor and a 6Gbps SATA III hard drive or SSD.

(11-29-2017, 11:21 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 10:45 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I seriously suggest you buy something used off corporate lease from eBay for a couple of hundred dollars. Hp elite book and Lenovo thinkpad are widely available and generally decent notebooks. Unfortunately tablets are a dying market where you either get garbage for a low price or have to pay a high price for reasonable quality.

I like and respect this answer. The ThinkPad T430 and Latitude E6420 are about the best values out there right now if you're willing to take one with a scuff or two on it. Hell, my E6410 looks like it's been through WWII, but it's still perfect for those short little trips when I don't plan on gaming from the road. There are some pretty good ThinkPad 2-in-1 tablets, too. The X220t comes to mind immediately. I've still got an X61t that I will never give up because it's just so doggone useful, Core 2 Duo and all. Runs Lubuntu like a champ.

The new H-series mobile chips from Intel are looking beastly, though. AMD Vega graphics on-die will give them something like R9 380X performance from integrated graphics. Of course, it will probably also make them an FX 9590-level forest fire...

Great information, thank you all. Most of this, however, is lost upon me. I know very little but I do want 8 GB RAM, a DVD read/write, a webcam, 14-15 in screen, 500 GB-1 TB storage.

This looks like it might fit the bill: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad...SwOdpX1rjU

Anybody willing to step in and pick out what I should get off Ebay? I am a trusting soul and would prefer your input over mine.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(11-25-2017, 11:12 AM)PF* Wrote: Buying a new laptop to me is like buying new golf clubs, very intimidating. Friend #1 says don't buy Dell, they are no good now; Friend #2 says don't buy HP, you'll be sorry; Friend #3 says don't bother me.

My needs are small, about all I do is web-surfing, email, music...basic stuff, no gaming or giant work spreadsheets, etc.

Any advice? Thanks.

My advice, don't buy one at all. They are too small to adequately cool their components. I have a liquid cooled desktop, and it is solid as a rock.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

i'd probably get a chrome book and a good sd card. they fit the needs pretty well for light use and are pretty cheap. I have a macbook pro and thats probably the route i go on my next one.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(12-02-2017, 09:30 PM)PF* Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 11:21 PM)TJBender Wrote: I like and respect this answer. The ThinkPad T430 and Latitude E6420 are about the best values out there right now if you're willing to take one with a scuff or two on it. Hell, my E6410 looks like it's been through WWII, but it's still perfect for those short little trips when I don't plan on gaming from the road. There are some pretty good ThinkPad 2-in-1 tablets, too. The X220t comes to mind immediately. I've still got an X61t that I will never give up because it's just so doggone useful, Core 2 Duo and all. Runs Lubuntu like a champ.

Great information, thank you all. Most of this, however, is lost upon me. I know very little but I do want 8 GB RAM, a DVD read/write, a webcam, 14-15 in screen, 500 GB-1 TB storage.

This looks like it might fit the bill: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad...SwOdpX1rjU

Anybody willing to step in and pick out what I should get off Ebay? I am a trusting soul and would prefer your input over mine.

Based on what you said that your needs are, something like that is what you should look for.  The biggest thing is to get as much RAM as possible.  Don't get too hung up on whether it's an Intel CPU or an AMD CPU.  Both are just fine, especially for your needs.

As far as hard drives, they are cheap.  For a "typical" Windows machine you want probably somewhere around 500GB just for your operating system and programs (apps is what they call them now).

For what it's worth, I'm a "computer geek" and my current desktop machine (which I use more than anything else) is running an AMD processor and has been doing so faithfully for several years.  While I don't do any gaming, I still need a powerful machine to compile (build) programs in a reasonable amount of time.  My current desktop machine I've had for probably 5 years+ and it will still build a large application in a short amount of time.  For the real geeks here, it will compile GCC in around 5 minutes or so.  To give some perspective, I can remember it taking all night to do the same thing with a simple Pentium processor (way back in late 90's early 2000's) and can remember taking it probably an hour or so with the "latest" in around 2005.

The bottom line is, identify your needs (which you have done) and search for a machine that will meet those needs.  Don't worry about "what processor" or any of that.  They are all pretty much the same.  The "slow loading" comments have nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with software.  That's a whole other discussion.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-29-2017, 11:21 PM)TJBender Wrote: I like and respect this answer. The ThinkPad T430 and Latitude E6420 are about the best values out there right now if you're willing to take one with a scuff or two on it. Hell, my E6410 looks like it's been through WWII, but it's still perfect for those short little trips when I don't plan on gaming from the road. There are some pretty good ThinkPad 2-in-1 tablets, too. The X220t comes to mind immediately. I've still got an X61t that I will never give up because it's just so doggone useful, Core 2 Duo and all. Runs Lubuntu like a champ.

get a dell refurb, the latitude or inspiron, they are cheap and even if they do break are easy to repair. If you can spring for a SSD do it, it will make everything much faster than just adding ram will. I bought my last dell refurb for 300 and have had it for 4 years without issue.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

You could get a Microsoft Surface

The T430 is a tank, back from the days when quality mattered and keeping components cool mattered. That will kick the poo out of anything new in its price class.