Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Grades

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2017, 08:44 PM by Jacksonville.)

He is the only person I have seen that had Dawkins over Robinson

<p style="text-align:center;">[Image: 0mbt2.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Wasnt arguing, I just like our draft better. I like Dawkins as well but not over Cam, everyone has their own opinion. I like the Heisman finalist in the 4th as well. Crazy he would take Dawkins over Robinson

We could have had 10 out of the top 10 picks and he would still moan about our selections...

Quote:We could have had 10 out of the top 10 picks and he would still moan about our selections...
A sad life to live

Quote:We could have had 10 out of the top 10 picks and he would still moan about our selections...
I bet if we took Dawkins over Robinson he would of said how stupid it was to pick Dawkins over Robinson

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2017, 09:25 PM by BklynJag.)

Quote:Butt was gone before our 5th round pick and Dawkins went in the 2nd. So the first 4 rounds would of looked like this

1. Fournette

2. Dawkins

3. Smoot

4. Butt

No thanks, I like what we did better
My bad, i meant Dorian Johnson and Dawkins. The cam pick was my favorite pick.

Quote:Jags get a c.   Still have no qb. 

We have a qb.  Not one qb in this draft could start over Bortles. Not one.

I thought we should have taken a qb in the mid-rounds with potential to develop into a starter.  But neither Trubisky or Watson were going to beat out Blake as the starter this year had we drafted them.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I would have loved to see us trade back up into the 2nd for Lamp or simply have taken Feeney in the 3rd.  Had we done that, the O-line is a long way to being fixed.  All we would then need is Bortles to improve back to 2015 form and we would be competing for a playoff spot.  And there were plenty of depth guys left in the 4th and after.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I mean we passed on Feeney and the Center from Ohio State in the 3rd round to take Smoot was a little bit of a disappointment to ME. Dawkins came close to falling to us in the 3rd but I was sitting there near the tail end of the 2nd and seeing all the trades and was thinking why don't we trade up right now and nab Dawkins. We give up a our 3rd and 5th and we could have maybe gotten Dawkins in the 2nd. Just think fournette, Robinson, Dawkins and Dede Westbrook. I like the tail end of our draft though but still Trading up to get Dawkins in the 2nd would have been icing on the cake and make Fournette that much better in my opinion.

Quote:I try and stay away from saying A- or B+. I look at if the picks made sense, they fit our scheme, value, and need.

Like I posted in other threads, TC/DC clearly looked at this team and saw different needs then the fans.

The draft makes sense, we heard from the team they want to be tough and physical as well as needed playmakers.

The only pick that I really question is Smoot. I think there were better options but they clearly had him rated pretty high.

This. The fans are largely informed by goofballs like DiRocco who want to appear balanced for their sportswriter friends, so they harp on not having another guard (even though TC/DC added Robinson who can play guard the first year) or harp on not adding a TE, even though we have a slew of good receivers. I think it's clear that we're moving to a more play-action offense, which means de-emphasizing the tight end in favor of putting more talented receivers on the field.  

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote:This. The fans are largely informed by goofballs like DiRocco who want to appear balanced for their sportswriter friends, so they harp on not having another guard (even though TC/DC added Robinson who can play guard the first year) or harp on not adding a TE, even though we have a slew of good receivers. I think it's clear that we're moving to a more play-action offense, which means de-emphasizing the tight end in favor of putting more talented receivers on the field.  

When I think of Coughlin TEs, I think of guys with good hands who block first.

I know he isn't the coach, but the overall feel is back to smash mouth and I'm sure he has a ton of influence on style of play - which in turn influences the kind of player they want and how they are used there.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017, 07:47 PM by Caldrac.)

I give it an A-. Fournette and Robinson in RD1 & RD2 made the most sense. We picked up the best RB in this class whose been graded and compared highly to Adrian Peterson. That's more praise than what Gurley and Elliot received coming out of UGA & OSU respectively. Robinson was graded as either the top OT/OG or right up there with the top three at the minimum everywhere you looked. To get him in RD2 by only forking over a measly RD6 pick was worth the potential and greater odds of upgrading our line in 2017 with the aim to replace Albert at LT probably by 2019. 

Smoot is the only reason I gave them an A- instead of an A+. Because I was honestly hoping for another offensive lineman. Either Dan Feeney who was there for the taking or Antonio Garcia who New England ended up snatching with the 85th pick of their class finally. My concern with Smoot is that coming out of Illinois he's known as a rusher that can disrupt and get "close" to the QB but he can't actually hit home and "finish" the QB. And that sounds too much like what we've seen here over the last ten years. We need finishers. Not guys that almost get there. 

After that. I am fine with the selections of DeDe Westbrook, Blair Brown & Jalen Myrick. These were all players with higher draft grades that fell further than expected due to off the field concerns with Westrbook and undersized or limited sample tapes in Brown and Myrick's cases. But they all have a common trait. Speed, speed and more speed. Something this team has been lacking consistently all across the board but has somewhat evened out here and there with the additions of Ramsey, Smith and Jack on defense. I am fine with this. Completely happy with the fact that they've added a lot of speed and quickness in all three phases of the game with these three players. 

Marquez Williams more than likely wins the FB job as a starter this pre season. Can't be unhappy with landing a starter in RD7. That's the goal for every draft pick. Most teams use it as a throw away on a project player or injury concerned player or character concerned player. We did the right thing here by getting a pounder to go along with our new faster pounder behind him with our whooper off the edge now in Robinson. This offense is fixing to get heavy and powerful on the back end. And it's going to allow our faster receivers to jet downfield when the defense is too focused on said backfield. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Jags get a c. Still have no qb.

The draft gets a B from me. They addressed O-Line, RB, FB, DE.

They drafted a CB that might not make the roster just like Broddy-Coulhoun last year. They didn't go for a QB.

Jags get a B from me.  Though I'm skeptical of a few players' true value, but I'm hopeful they make some notable impact. 

While I'd have addressed most of the same positions but in a different order (also would've taken a TE instead of WR)  - I like the players they came away with. 

Getting a top OT and a potentially elite RB is pretty strong.  Westbrook also seems like a steal that could be manning the slot full time by season's end.

Fingers crossed these kids don't disappoint. 

[Image: 2irq9op.jpg]

Quote:Jags get a B from me. Though I'm skeptical of a few players' true value, but I'm hopeful they make some notable impact.

While I'd have addressed most of the same positions but in a different order (also would've taken a TE instead of WR) - I like the players they came away with.

Getting a top OT and a potentially elite RB is pretty strong. Westbrook also seems like a steal that could be manning the slot full time by season's end.

Fingers crossed these kids don't disappoint.

I'd take DD over Lee in the slot. I agree

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2017, 07:29 PM by RonSwanson.)

Quote:I'd take DD over Lee in the slot. I agree

Lee has played very few snaps from the slot and doesn't project to do it often in the future.  Hurns has played most of the slot snaps lately. 

Robinson and Lee are the primary outside receivers.  Hurns began playing 60-70% of his snaps from the slot when Lee got healthy.  So if you are "taking DD" over anyone, it's Hurns. Not Lee. 

In fact if I were designing power run sets with a FB and blocking TE on the field I'd actually put Westbrook and Lee out there together as the only two WR in that formation sometimes to back the defense off or take a PA shot downfield. 

[Image: 2irq9op.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2017, 02:44 AM by TheAll22.)

I know many of you have long been awaiting for me to break my silence on the Jaguars draft performance. I have broken my grades into several key areas as well as having some fun in picking players I'm glad we didn't take or dodged a bullet with as well as potential regrets. Anyway here it goes

1.4 Leonard Fournette RB LSU 

Fournette represents tremendous athletic ability of generational talents that fans have been hearing about since his days at St. Augustine. Fournette is clearly a physical gift and was selected higher than most RB's in the past decade. This pick will only be a success if he can become the Adrian Peterson type of player and lasts long enough for the team to be in a position to win. Running Backs that treat their bodies like a gravedigger monster truck don't play very long, so this is is where there becomes some concern. Overall the pick makes sense, it fills a huge hole in a draft class that is deep but not clearly obvious when it comes to the best 10 or so prospects. I wouldnt give an A for any team in the top 10 for simply picking their player and Fournette is a High Reward, High Risk selection.

Bullet Dodged: Mitchell Trubisky

We may regret: O.J. Howard

Overall Grade: B

2.Cam Robinson OL Alabama

This pick comes with some question marks for me. Initially you might say, wow a highly acclaimed player in round two = Jackpot right? Well let's analyse this for a second. Robinson comes from a system where their pros have struggled to progress as they seem ready but very worn out and unable to meet expectation. I also see a prospect that fell for several reasons and more importantly looks and grades out better as a guard. Robinson has horrendous feet both technically and physiologically making him better suited to swing inside, as a Guard there were two players who graded out better for me than robinson and if you follow my logic, he's not a premier LT prospect either. Leaving me with a slight dilema. Moreover, we traded away a 6th round pick to take him over McDowell who is a terrific DL prospect who I think will be a better player. Why not pick McDowell or someone else and let Seattle have Robinson since there were still better guard prospects? That sixth rounder, although most likely a player that will fizzle out of the league. However, there was solid value in the 6th round that was given up for a player who doesn't project to be a premier LT and therefore is a bit questionable for me. I will agree it looks good on paper as the media had him as a top 10 player.

Bullet Dodged: Budda Baker 

Might Regret: Sidney Jones

Overall Grade: C

3.4 Dawuane Smoot DE Illinois 

Very underwhelming selection with so much mouth-watering talent available early in round three. Dave Caldwell either panicked and forgot his board or maybe he just really had to have this flat footed but high energy athlete. Definitely needs some athletic and technical refinement so he comes in as a project player. Reminds me a lot of eagles first round draft bust Marcus Smith but with more average athleticism. Smoot potentially allows the Jaguars to move on from Dante Fowler if he still fails to impress as well as add some more Pass Rush depth so he has time for development and won't have to worry about filling in right away. I think DC picked a decent player about a round too early but may have left some much stronger talent on the board. 

Bullet Dodged: Taywan Taylor

Might regret: Antonio Garcia

Overall Grade: D

4.3 DeDe Westbrook WR Oklahoma

Westbrook appears to be somewhat of a luxury pick with so much talent at WR the Jags might be looking at the real possibility of losing Lee or Robinson to the open market. I did consider WR a minor need going into the off-season and event thought we could see a veteran and in this case a draft pick. Westbrook is a real talent and justifies his round and although other immediate needs could have been addressed this pick could end up being a home run ig he can translate to the next level. The only real concern to have is his size as he will get handled by physical db's and does not present much of a jump ball threat. Picking up skill players always feels good even with some decent WR talent still remaining. Caldwell has done well to find pass catchers so maybe we can trust him with this slightly risky pick. 

Bullet Dodged: Jaleel Johnson

We May Regret: Zach Banner

Overall Grade: C

5.4 Blair Brown LB Ohio

Brown looks like a very talented special teams player and I don't think he has much value outside of that despite his energy and willingness to find the ball. When you get into the 5th round these are really the type of players you look for to make your team as a role player or developmental player. Blair is very much a situational role player type of prospect with heart and passion for the game. Brown is not the sexiest or flashiest player but rather a tweener, "not a safety-not a linebacker" which makes it hard for those players to survive. I would hope he has a strong impact on special teams and maybe he can overcome the measurable preferences.

Bullet dodged: Corn Elder

Might Regret: Nate Hairston

Overall Grade: D

6.3 Traded to Seahawks for 2nd Round Selection in 2017 

Coming back to the trading away of this selection only to emphasis a very minor point that it might be worth it to be patient and view available players that could still have mad an impact like developmental arm talent, special teams needs like a placekicker, trades for veterans, etc. Again, not a huge loss but it'w worth taking a deeper look into how to really work a draft in your favor and not let teams snag extra picks from you just to move up a few slots or in this case swap one

Bullet Dodged: Tanzel Smart 

Might Regret: Bucky Hodges

Grade: N/A 

7.4 Jalen Myrick CB Wisconsin

Myrick is silver medalist of the underwear Olympiads favorite event - the 40 yard dash in 2017 but not only can he run 40 yard really fast, he's actually a very gritty and physical style of corner much like Brandon Flowers. Myrick has legitimate nickel package and special teams potential so he becomes a very attractive pick in a meaningless round. 

Bullet Dodged: Joey Ivie

Might Regret: Zane Gonzales

Overall Grade: A

7.22 (From Miami)  Marquez Williams FB Miami 

I look at this selection as an economical exchange for Julius Thomas. Best case scenario is that Marquez becomes a fixture at FB for the next 11 seasons, while helping turn Fournette into an all pro by paving the way. Williams was a highly rated FB with a truly violent playing style that is reminiscent of a different time. I don't have high expectations so even if Williams doesn't make it past the summer, dumping off Julius Thomas contract is a bonus because we will not have to pay that ridiculous salary and the Jaguars might have finally found someone who can do some run blocking

Bullet Dodged: Chad Kelly

Might Regret: Jordan Carrell

Overall Grade: A

Caldwell came into the 2017 Draft with his job on the line and can give Caldwell some credit for not getting robbed like the 49ers out of desperations, nor did a punter get selected of a franchise QB as we look for the positives. I felt like we came into a very tough draft similar to 2013 where there were no QB's or obvious choices to fill out the top ten. We missed some glaring needs like QB and TE and minor needs like NT or K while addressing some depth and the going all in on improving the disastrous running game which can hopefully springboard the great Jaguars tradition of great Running Backs. Every Draft comes with hits and misses and I could see four starters come out of this draft and a few potential impact players despite my concerns. 

Overall Grade C