Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How High Has the Bar Been Raised?

Honestly this was a watch year for me. I didn't want to set expectations too high. The defense is exceedingly better than I thought they would be. The offense is worse than average. I've been surprised by the hot and cold play of the special teams. I'm thankful we made a change at kicker but yikes the kick off depth was the sacrificial lamb there.

Yikes the Offense is so darn limited and such a crazy liability. Didn't think that would happen. Thing is if ARrob was uninjured I think we would have the same problems. The throws are just all over the place. Everytime you think BB5 can make some plays he wobbles a duck or completely misses the mark. I just hope we avoid the cycle of doom going forward.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The bar has always been Playoffs to me.

Granted... I've gone into a number of seasons fully expecting them to fail to live up to that... but still. Any season that does not result in a Playoff Appearance, is considered a failed season to me.

Conversely, any season that DOES result in a Playoff Appearance, is a successful season to me, even if we are 1 and done. In the Playoffs it truly becomes any given Sunday. Sure, I WANT more than 1 and done, but I wouldn't be irate.
PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Put me down in the 10 win club. 

Anything more than that is gravy.

9 wins should be the absolute floor for this team at this point. I'm expecting 10 wins with 10 or 11 wins being the most likely outcome. I also would expect a playoff win. The AFC championship game is probably our ceiling.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-29-2017, 11:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's been said by many that our fan base got spoiled early in our franchise's existence due to the tremendous level of success this team had during the first five years.  From 1996-1999, the Jaguars made the playoffs, including two conference championship games.  Injuries and the salary cap kicked in and the Jaguars fell from the lofty standards set above to mediocre and losing football.  While disappointing and distasteful, there was still some respectability around the team.  JDR took over and led the team to four straight .500 or better seasons, including two playoff appearances, the last being in 2007.  But in the years that have passed since, the fall from contention was far more precipitous and much longer in duration than any time in Jaguars history.  Mere respectability became an antiquated notion.  The losing became so pervasive and prolific, fans went from anger to numbness, as playoff hopes were gone by October. 

It was then no surprise that Jaguars fans expected, at most, modest improvement from the team this year when Marrone was named head coach.   Immediate, worst to first transformations are not exactly common, and have not been a part of our history.  That is, perhaps, until now.    After eleven games this year, the Jaguars find themselves at 7-4 and tied for first place in the division (actually sit at second due to the week 2 loss vs. Tennessee) and firmly in playoff contention headed into a three game home stretch against two divisional foes they dominated earlier in the year, sandwiched around a Seattle team with a depleted secondary.

Now headed into this year, many would have been thrilled with an improvement from two to three wins a year to seven.  The incremental improvement most expected to see but didn't under Bradley would have been realized.   Yet I don't think it a stretch to say that the entirety of the Jaguars fan base would be disappointed if the Jaguars finished the 2017 season with "only" seven wins.

So in that context, what is the minimum win total the team must meet to avoid 2017 being a disappointment?  For the purposes of this discussion, let's avoid the Super Bowl or bust standard.  We all want to win the big game, but I'm just talking about regular season wins and post season appearance, if possible.

To me, even though finally reaching .500 would be notable when compared to the losing that preceded it, that would be not enough.  I think a ten win season would be the minimum win total to avoid this season being a disappointment.   The remaining five games, including the aforementioned three game home stretch, are all winnable.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect the Jaguars to win at least three of the remaining five.  I think ten wins minimally should be good enough to get us into the post season, especially considering two current contenders for the 6th seed, the Chargers and Ravens, both lost to us head to head.  If we finish with the same record, we will get in before either of them.  The Ravens have one more loss than we have right now, and still have tough games left against Detroit and Pittsburgh.  The Chargers have two more losses than we have, and still have games against Washington and KC.

What are your minimal win expectations?  Why?

At this point in time, I would expect at least a 10-6 record to be considered good. Given our schedule and how we've played so far, I think this has to be the bar. But if we were talking from preseason, from what I saw this would have never happened.... If we go 1-4 the remaining part of the season to go .500, this would be a huge disappointment. I honestly think we should be 11-5 or 12-4 this year. Still possible, but highly doubtful.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM by JackCity.)

There is no reason why we shouldn't beat the colts and texans. Losses to them would be totally unacceptable. Then at very least we should getting 1 win Vs the Seahawks/49ers/titans. On paper the 49ers will be easy but travelling to the west coast can make it harder. Titans game is a toss up and the Seahawks I'm just not sure on yet. Although again on paper we match up well.

At this point 10 wins is the expectation. Anything less and it'll somehow be a great year and a big disappointment at the same time.

Think back to late August and where you thought we'd be....now think about where we are. How could you not be happy?
Especially since we could potentially win out or lose one.
Its up to the team....the next five are ours to win or lose.
Congratulations Jags!
Now go win some more!!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I expect and will see 12-4. That's right!! Jags going to win OUT. Banana

Now speaking of bar and high, time for another Crown. Cool
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(11-29-2017, 11:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's been said by many that our fan base got spoiled early in our franchise's existence due to the tremendous level of success this team had during the first five years.  From 1996-1999, the Jaguars made the playoffs, including two conference championship games.  Injuries and the salary cap kicked in and the Jaguars fell from the lofty standards set above to mediocre and losing football.  While disappointing and distasteful, there was still some respectability around the team.  JDR took over and led the team to four straight .500 or better seasons, including two playoff appearances, the last being in 2007.  But in the years that have passed since, the fall from contention was far more precipitous and much longer in duration than any time in Jaguars history.  Mere respectability became an antiquated notion.  The losing became so pervasive and prolific, fans went from anger to numbness, as playoff hopes were gone by October. 

It was then no surprise that Jaguars fans expected, at most, modest improvement from the team this year when Marrone was named head coach.   Immediate, worst to first transformations are not exactly common, and have not been a part of our history.  That is, perhaps, until now.    After eleven games this year, the Jaguars find themselves at 7-4 and tied for first place in the division (actually sit at second due to the week 2 loss vs. Tennessee) and firmly in playoff contention headed into a three game home stretch against two divisional foes they dominated earlier in the year, sandwiched around a Seattle team with a depleted secondary.

Now headed into this year, many would have been thrilled with an improvement from two to three wins a year to seven.  The incremental improvement most expected to see but didn't under Bradley would have been realized.   Yet I don't think it a stretch to say that the entirety of the Jaguars fan base would be disappointed if the Jaguars finished the 2017 season with "only" seven wins.

So in that context, what is the minimum win total the team must meet to avoid 2017 being a disappointment?  For the purposes of this discussion, let's avoid the Super Bowl or bust standard.  We all want to win the big game, but I'm just talking about regular season wins and post season appearance, if possible.

To me, even though finally reaching .500 would be notable when compared to the losing that preceded it, that would be not enough.  I think a ten win season would be the minimum win total to avoid this season being a disappointment.   The remaining five games, including the aforementioned three game home stretch, are all winnable.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect the Jaguars to win at least three of the remaining five.  I think ten wins minimally should be good enough to get us into the post season, especially considering two current contenders for the 6th seed, the Chargers and Ravens, both lost to us head to head.  If we finish with the same record, we will get in before either of them.  The Ravens have one more loss than we have right now, and still have tough games left against Detroit and Pittsburgh.  The Chargers have two more losses than we have, and still have games against Washington and KC.

What are your minimal win expectations?  Why?

First of all EXCELLENT TOPIC!

Prior to the season I was thinking that .500 would be improvement and I would have been "satisfied" though not very happy about it.  I figured that was a realistic goal.

At this point in the season after the games that have been played and how they've been played, I have to agree with you regarding 10-6.  I would love to see the team win out, but realistically I don't think it will happen.  My minimum at this point would be a winning season and a playoff appearance.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-29-2017, 12:50 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: I think going into the week 17 showdown in nashville, the Jags will be 10-5 and the Titans 9-6. AFC South Championship game, flexed to sunday night. It will be glorious.

I think it's going to end up something like that myself.

(11-29-2017, 01:02 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 12:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I think it will be a very good game.

With Dareus, we are better equipped to play against your running game than we were in week 2, but our offensive struggles of late concern me.

Right now, I'll be content winning this Sunday.

The Titans offense for most the season concerns me. It's like they are playing uphill most the time. I do think they get going here though. Mularkey will listen to my advice to give henry more carries and use play action much much more.  I just hope the Titans AND the Jags win enough games so the loser in Nashville still gets the wildcard.

Very likely to happen, though I hate to see the Titans getting a wildcard.   Tongue

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

11-5 or 10-6. Every single game SHOULD be a win for this team because they have the BEST defense in the NFL and it isn't even close. Problem is the Jags also have probably the worst offense in the league. Yes yes I know about the running game, but they haven't lit it up running since Rams (in terms of YPC it has been mediocre). Since the Rams game they have been exposed and every single team has game planned identically to the Rams and it has worked to a tee. 6 offensive TDs last 5 games is TERRIBLE. They load the damn box every single play yet the coaching staff still is stubborn to run the ball. YES, I understand it is Bortles... but you have to let him make mistakes. Play to his strengths and let him ATTEMPT to back off the defenses. If not, every single game will go down to the 4th quarter and now you are relying on Bortles to make clutch throws. Well that has worked out amazing hasn't it. Two clutch ints by Chargers and then Cardinals Mathieu takes one. Those were all in situations when the defense clearly knows you have to throw the ball to win. Change it up Hackett and start TRYING to throw the ball.

Theyre going to the playoffs this year and barring a meltdown, so are the titans. I'm ok with losing the division so long as we win at least one playoff game to make up for it.

(11-29-2017, 09:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 12:50 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: I think going into the week 17 showdown in nashville, the Jags will be 10-5 and the Titans 9-6. AFC South Championship game, flexed to sunday night. It will be glorious.

(11-29-2017, 01:02 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: The Titans offense for most the season concerns me. It's like they are playing uphill most the time. I do think they get going here though. Mularkey will listen to my advice to give henry more carries and use play action much much more.  I just hope the Titans AND the Jags win enough games so the loser in Nashville still gets the wildcard.

Very likely to happen, though I hate to see the Titans getting a wildcard.   Tongue

I see what you did there papa

I saw the floor as 3-5 wins and as high as 9-11 wins. I would be happy with anything over 9 really, 10 gets you a playoff spot.

I think we all agree here that the Jaguars are very likely 1 and done with the way the offense is playing though, unless we luck into Kansas City winning their division. I don't see us beating anybody ahead of us in the current state this team is in. I think a bigger aspect to this year is the culture here has clearly changed, and this team should be able to build on that going forward.

I really hope we get our 2 linemen back for the playoffs, along with Fournette getting back in a grove. The defense is a little concerning at this point too after last week's game vs Gabbert.

TL;DR win 10 games and i think most will be happy coming off of a 3 win season with bubble gum bobble head Gus Ice cream Bradley.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017, 11:53 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(11-29-2017, 11:43 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I saw the floor as 3-5 wins and as high as 9-11 wins. I would be happy with anything over 9 really, 10 gets you a playoff spot.

I think we all agree here that the Jaguars are very likely 1 and done with the way the offense is playing though, unless we luck into Kansas City winning their division. I don't see us beating anybody ahead of us in the current state this team is in. I think a bigger aspect to this year is the culture here has clearly changed, and this team should be able to build on that going forward.

I really hope we get our 2 linemen back for the playoffs, along with Fournette getting back in a grove. The defense is a little concerning at this point too after last week's game vs Gabbert.

TL;DR win 10 games and i think most will be happy coming off of a 3 win season with bubble gum bobble head Gus Ice cream Bradley.

This is true. Don't be concerned about defense though they are legit. They did score a defensive TD btw... these things don't happen regularly or better yet shouldnt and this defense scores at will. They are complacent with being an anemic offense and wait for death or DO OR DIE with Blake at this point. Gotta gamble on the kid at somepoint. Hey, maybe Blake is the Terry Bradshaw/Eli Manning of the playoffs... wont know unless we get there..

(11-29-2017, 09:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

(11-29-2017, 01:02 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: The Titans offense for most the season concerns me. It's like they are playing uphill most the time. I do think they get going here though. Mularkey will listen to my advice to give henry more carries and use play action much much more.  I just hope the Titans AND the Jags win enough games so the loser in Nashville still gets the wildcard.

To clarify your closing statement here, I'm sure this also means you hate to see the Titans win the division, too, right?

I know I do.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-29-2017, 09:16 PM)Jagwired Wrote: I expect and will see 12-4. That's right!! Jags going to win OUT. Banana

Now speaking of bar and high, time for another Crown. Cool

Disclaimer:  My original post and all subsequent posts in this thread should not be construed as condoning or encouraging alcohol or drug use.   Wallbash Big Grin

10-6 is the minimum to not feel a bit of disappointment. Going 9-7 would mean that we have gone 2-4 in the last six games and while Seahawks and Titans should be fairly even matched losing 2 out of 4 againts Cardinals,Colts, Savage-led Texans and 49ers would be a disappointment after being up 7-3.
Of course at the start of the season 9-7 would have been much more welcome than if it happened now but let's see how it plays out against the Colts and let's hope that Parnell and Omameh are back healthy for the final stretch of the season.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2017, 07:07 AM by Jeff.Fisher.)

(11-29-2017, 11:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 09:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think it's going to end up something like that myself.

To clarify your closing statement here, I'm sure this also means you hate to see the Titans win the division, too, right?

I know I do.

Well if they get a wildcard that means your jags won the division. You cant have all the spots. Haha
But yes, for your sake i really hope the Titans don't get a wildcard and the Jags do.

(11-30-2017, 07:06 AM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 11:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: To clarify your closing statement here, I'm sure this also means you hate to see the Titans win the division, too, right?

I know I do.

Well if they get a wildcard that means your jags won the division. You cant have all the spots. Haha
But yes, for your sake i really hope the Titans don't get a wildcard and the Jags do.

Well, if we win the division, one of two things happened:

A.  The Jaguars would have beaten you in Nashville in week 17, which means the match up with you isn't unfavorable.

or

B.  The tacks would have lost at least two of the last four games while the Jaguars would have, at worst, only lost to you, which means the tacks generally would not be playing well going into the playoffs.

If things continue as they are in terms of records vis-a-vis the AFC West leader and say Baltimore or Buffalo or Chargers, if we won the division, we would likely host the lowest seed, which means we likely would not host you in the Wildcard round.

Of all of the teams discussed above, I would be most concerned about the Chargers.