Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How High Has the Bar Been Raised?

For me, since we are now 7-4, and seeing how our team is performing lately, 10-6 and making the wild card is what would make me happy. But I wouldn't be surprised if we go 9-7, the way our offense is struggling.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-29-2017, 09:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 11:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's been said by many that our fan base got spoiled early in our franchise's existence due to the tremendous level of success this team had during the first five years.  From 1996-1999, the Jaguars made the playoffs, including two conference championship games.  Injuries and the salary cap kicked in and the Jaguars fell from the lofty standards set above to mediocre and losing football.  While disappointing and distasteful, there was still some respectability around the team.  JDR took over and led the team to four straight .500 or better seasons, including two playoff appearances, the last being in 2007.  But in the years that have passed since, the fall from contention was far more precipitous and much longer in duration than any time in Jaguars history.  Mere respectability became an antiquated notion.  The losing became so pervasive and prolific, fans went from anger to numbness, as playoff hopes were gone by October. 

It was then no surprise that Jaguars fans expected, at most, modest improvement from the team this year when Marrone was named head coach.   Immediate, worst to first transformations are not exactly common, and have not been a part of our history.  That is, perhaps, until now.    After eleven games this year, the Jaguars find themselves at 7-4 and tied for first place in the division (actually sit at second due to the week 2 loss vs. Tennessee) and firmly in playoff contention headed into a three game home stretch against two divisional foes they dominated earlier in the year, sandwiched around a Seattle team with a depleted secondary.

Now headed into this year, many would have been thrilled with an improvement from two to three wins a year to seven.  The incremental improvement most expected to see but didn't under Bradley would have been realized.   Yet I don't think it a stretch to say that the entirety of the Jaguars fan base would be disappointed if the Jaguars finished the 2017 season with "only" seven wins.

So in that context, what is the minimum win total the team must meet to avoid 2017 being a disappointment?  For the purposes of this discussion, let's avoid the Super Bowl or bust standard.  We all want to win the big game, but I'm just talking about regular season wins and post season appearance, if possible.

To me, even though finally reaching .500 would be notable when compared to the losing that preceded it, that would be not enough.  I think a ten win season would be the minimum win total to avoid this season being a disappointment.   The remaining five games, including the aforementioned three game home stretch, are all winnable.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect the Jaguars to win at least three of the remaining five.  I think ten wins minimally should be good enough to get us into the post season, especially considering two current contenders for the 6th seed, the Chargers and Ravens, both lost to us head to head.  If we finish with the same record, we will get in before either of them.  The Ravens have one more loss than we have right now, and still have tough games left against Detroit and Pittsburgh.  The Chargers have two more losses than we have, and still have games against Washington and KC.

What are your minimal win expectations?  Why?

First of all EXCELLENT TOPIC!

Prior to the season I was thinking that .500 would be improvement and I would have been "satisfied" though not very happy about it.  I figured that was a realistic goal.

At this point in the season after the games that have been played and how they've been played, I have to agree with you regarding 10-6.  I would love to see the team win out, but realistically I don't think it will happen.  My minimum at this point would be a winning season and a playoff appearance.

Thanks for the kudos re: topic choice.

I was just thinking about how far the team has come and how good it feels to finally be in the hunt at this time of year as opposed to being well into the mock drafts and talking about firing coaches, if not just plain numbness and apathy.

But then I recalled numerous posts from people exasperated not just by the continual losing but the lack of respectability and competitiveness in losing.  If the team could have roughly seven wins and have a modicum of respectability, many fans would have been satisfied with that level of progress.  But having seven wins now with still five remaining, I realized I wouldn't be satisfied with just seven wins, and probably nobody else would be either, even though that total more than doubles the win total of last year and already exceeds the best season under Gus Bradley.

I realized that it is perfectly reasonable for expectations to change over the course of a season.  Is it fair to the players and coaches?  Maybe, maybe not.

But I'm just glad we're for once, able to have this conversation.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-30-2017, 08:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 07:06 AM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: Well if they get a wildcard that means your jags won the division. You cant have all the spots. Haha
But yes, for your sake i really hope the Titans don't get a wildcard and the Jags do.

Well, if we win the division, one of two things happened:

A.  The Jaguars would have beaten you in Nashville in week 17, which means the match up with you isn't unfavorable.

or

B.  The tacks would have lost at least two of the last four games while the Jaguars would have, at worst, only lost to you, which means the tacks generally would not be playing well going into the playoffs.

If things continue as they are in terms of records vis-a-vis the AFC West leader and say Baltimore or Buffalo or Chargers, if we won the division, we would likely host the lowest seed, which means we likely would not host you in the Wildcard round.

Of all of the teams discussed above, I would be most concerned about the Chargers.

The Jags have shown they can win a playoff type game, most notably beating the pulp out of big ben and the towel twirlers. And beating the resurgent chargers, although that game could have went differently. 
The Titans have won ugly games most the season. At least these teams are winning. I do hope the Titans and Jags both make the playoffs. Both fan bases deserve it for suffering through so many years. Also, i hate the common theory that the afc south is the weakest division.
With that being said, i think the Titans win the division and the Jags get the wildcard. And i think you're right, we will win the #3 seed and host the lowest seed. I had been thinking we would get jags/titans first wk of playoffs because i expected the #4 seed. Kansas city is fixing that

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2017, 10:21 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I say making the playoffs would be considered a success in the long run.  

Winning the division and hosting a playoff game would be considered a huge success

Any wins in the playoffs is even greater.

Right now, I don't think it's about wins in the long run, but rather making the playoffs is the key barometer.

Most people are micro-oriented so I don't expect them to fully understand.

When you consider what this offense is capable of... yeah 7 wins is nice at this point. This team doesn't have a QB that can hit receivers in stride or put the ball where it needs to go.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I'm excited that we're even talking about a raised bar.  With Gus it looked more like a limbo contest!
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

The Ceiling is the Roof
- Michael Jordan

Looking at the remaining schedule I think it's reasonable to expect wins against the clots and tinhorns. That would give us 9 wins already, just one more from the other three games would give you 10 wins which is usually enough to secure a WC spot. If Omameh and Parnell make their return this or next week I think 10 wins should be expected. Having said that, I don't see an opponent in the remaining five that we can't beat, I already mentioned the clots and tinhorns, the Seahawks have a terrible O-line and have to travel across the country, the 49ers are a terrible team even if Garropolo turns out to be any good and there is very little between us and the tacks right now, that game can swing either way.

I agree ... the schedule is very favorable. But then the send out that pathetic looking offense and we're back to relying on the defense to pull out games in the 4th quarter.

(11-30-2017, 05:01 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I agree ... the schedule is very favorable.  But then the send out that pathetic looking offense and we're back to relying on the defense to pull out games in the 4th quarter.

Now that we've won our last two and the offense has shown signs of life...what now regarding expectations?

Having beaten Seattle and seeing Tennessee struggle of late, would it be disappointing for this team to not win out?

(12-12-2017, 06:26 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 05:01 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I agree ... the schedule is very favorable.  But then the send out that pathetic looking offense and we're back to relying on the defense to pull out games in the 4th quarter.

Now that we've won our last two and the offense has shown signs of life...what now regarding expectations?

Having beaten Seattle and seeing Tennessee struggle of late, would it be disappointing for this team to not win out?

Honestly. It wouldn’t shock me if we lose to San Fran. They look much better and we are all aware of our west coast woes. I’d only be disappointed if we lose to Houston. Tennessee is a tough out

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 08:56 AM by SeldomRite.)

(12-12-2017, 08:44 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 06:26 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Now that we've won our last two and the offense has shown signs of life...what now regarding expectations?

Honestly. It wouldn’t shock me if we lose to San Fran. They look much better and we are all aware of our west coast woes. I’d only be disappointed if we lose to Houston. Tennessee is a tough out

No loss should surprise anyone. The Arizona game made it clear this is still a team capable of losing to middle of the road level teams. Still if they're going to do anything come playoff time they should be getting into a mode of play right now in which they can handle a team like the 49ers and send Jimmy to IR again.

(12-12-2017, 08:55 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 08:44 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Honestly. It wouldn’t shock me if we lose to San Fran. They look much better and we are all aware of our west coast woes. I’d only be disappointed if we lose to Houston. Tennessee is a tough out

No loss should surprise anyone. The Arizona game made it clear this is still a team capable of losing to middle of the road level teams. Still if they're going to do anything come playoff time they should be getting into a mode of play right now in which they can handle a team like the 49ers and send Jimmy to IR again.

In hindsight the loss to the Cardinals makes sense to me; our offensive line was hobbled and it showed. Chandler Jones now leads the league in sacks. Look at what we did to Seattle with our full intact line

(11-30-2017, 11:12 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: When you consider what this offense is capable of...   yeah 7 wins is nice at this point.  This team doesn't have a QB that can hit receivers in stride or put the ball where it needs to go.
lol

This backfired.

(12-12-2017, 06:26 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

It would be to me, at this point. Seattle was the toughest game of the last 4 and they won. If the Pats lose this week, the Jags can secure a 1st round bye by winning out. If they can't win out with the remaining schedule and a bye on the line, yeah, I'd be disappointed.

Overall, I'd still be incredibly happy with the progress this team has made in the last year. But they've spoiled me and now I'm getting greedy.
“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson

(12-12-2017, 09:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 11:12 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: When you consider what this offense is capable of...   yeah 7 wins is nice at this point.  This team doesn't have a QB that can hit receivers in stride or put the ball where it needs to go.
lol

This backfired.

Ha not really though because that was an observable result.  If being wrong is 9 wins with the possibility of winning out, then I hope I'm wrong and then wrong some more.  I have been posting a lot the past 2 days talking about how improved his ball placement is because I know I posted this Wink
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-12-2017, 09:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
lol

This backfired.

Yeah, it really was true at the time though.  (at least it was true often enough to affect the offensive production negatively)

The kid has taken a couple of big steps forward since then. More poised, stepping into throws, and (gulp) actually leading his receivers. If he can keep it up, this team will be a real contender in the playoffs.

(12-12-2017, 11:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 09:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: lol

This backfired.

Yeah, it really was true at the time though.  (at least it was true often enough to affect the offensive production negatively)

The kid has taken a couple of big steps forward since then. More poised, stepping into throws, and (gulp) actually leading his receivers. If he can keep it up, this team will be a real contender in the playoffs.

Bortles has improved a great deal.  I think his improvement is directly related to the development of Cole and Westbrook getting more PT.

I think this passing game will be more formidable once Hurns returns.  We have Lee running the crossing patterns/drag routes across the field on 3rd downs.  We have the downfield guys in Cole and Westbrook. We need another short to intermediate guy with the savvy to get open in zones and move the chains.

That's Hurns.

(12-12-2017, 11:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 11:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, it really was true at the time though.  (at least it was true often enough to affect the offensive production negatively)

Bortles has improved a great deal.  I think his improvement is directly related to the development of Cole and Westbrook getting more PT.

I think this passing game will be more formidable once Hurns returns.  We have Lee running the crossing patterns/drag routes across the field on 3rd downs.  We have the downfield guys in Cole and Westbrook. We need another short to intermediate guy with the savvy to get open in zones and move the chains.

That's Hurns.
Excellent point.  Even with the rookies in, it would make for a well-rounded corps.

[Image: a0711de7-056e-4559-afa1-a95dee76cd28.jpg...9020962122]