Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

(12-03-2017, 09:16 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Blake Bortles will get a contract and many fan's heads will explode.  Book it.

Is he a Superstar?  No.  Is he going to win you games?  Probably not.  However, like it or not he is a serviceable QB and the team would be fools to let him walk in free agency.  I don't see him going anywhere and I don't see the "splash" free agent signing in the off-season that many want.

Let Bortles go in free agency and see how quick teams will snap him up.

The rest of the league is praying that we keep Bortles at the helm of an otherwise championship caliber boat as well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 12:05 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

(12-03-2017, 08:10 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Bortles also missing both his starting receivers.

He has only been missing Allen Hurns for two weeks.

(12-04-2017, 12:00 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 09:16 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Blake Bortles will get a contract and many fan's heads will explode.  Book it.

Is he a Superstar?  No.  Is he going to win you games?  Probably not.  However, like it or not he is a serviceable QB and the team would be fools to let him walk in free agency.  I don't see him going anywhere and I don't see the "splash" free agent signing in the off-season that many want.

The rest of the league is praying that we keep Bortles at the helm of an otherwise championship caliber boat as well.

Nonsense. Blake Bortles was not the main culprit for any of our seven losses this season.

(12-03-2017, 07:52 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: How bout no.  He had a really good game.   Against three rookie corners/safetys

How about factoring in he played without his starting WR's to that same equation.......with his own 2 rookies. 

Geez.

(12-03-2017, 11:58 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 09:19 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Blake Bortles is essentially under contract for two more years, the way I see it. We can't let him walk without first paying him $18 million, right?

We can let him walk for nothing. He only gets the $19 million if he's injured to the point he can't play, or we let him go after the start of the league year. We could theoretically cut him in say February and not pay a dime.

Would it be possible to cut him this off season prior to the $19 million extension kicking in and instead sign him to say a 2 year deal at less money per year that amounts to $19 million guaranteed but a lower total cap hit per year? Or would that be considered rigging the cap?

The Clots secondary is horrible but there is no doubt he was dropping dimes down the field. It's not like our receivers were running around wide open all afternoon. Great touch on a lot of throws. The main thing is there was actually a pocket to throw from on most plays. He was also moving well.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 01:03 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

(12-04-2017, 12:19 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 11:58 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: We can let him walk for nothing. He only gets the $19 million if he's injured to the point he can't play, or we let him go after the start of the league year. We could theoretically cut him in say February and not pay a dime.

Would it be possible to cut him this offseason prior to the $19 million extension kicking in and instead sign him to say a 2 year deal at less money per year that amounts to $19 million guaranteed but a lower total cap hit per year? Or would that be considered rigging the cap?

My stance has always been if we don't want him a fifth season, we would not give him one. When teams don't pick up the option, it usually means they don't want that player anymore. That was why we did not pick up Luke Joeckel's option. Now I know he did have torn knee ligaments, but that was the year after his option needed to be picked up, so it was clealry about his performance. In other words, the fact that we picked up Blake's option proves we don't want to cut him unless he is injured during the playoffs.

(12-04-2017, 12:46 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: The Clots secondary is horrible but there is no doubt he was dropping dimes down the field. It's not like our receivers were running around wide open all afternoon. Great touch on a lot of throws. The main thing is there was actually a pocket to throw from on most plays. He was also moving well.

One throw to Lee was not caught because of a perfect pass breakup by the guy covering him It was neither a bad pass nor a drop, just good defense. Otherwise, they were who we thought they were: a bad defense.

(12-03-2017, 09:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 07:42 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: He continual places the ball where our receivers are teed up for big hits. Has he hit a receiver in stride to maximize TAC? Other than I wish we could play the Colts secondary every week Bottles is what he is. He is durable as heck that is for sure. He did make some throws that hopefully indicate additional progress.

Had Dede Westbrook hauled in the pass that hit him in the hands he would have gotten plenty of YAC.

(12-03-2017, 09:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: The running game has only started struggling when we had the two oline injuries. Was the best run game in the league over the first 6/7 weeks.

Plus the fact that Fournette can't even walk to the sidelines without being covered. Other teams are game planning big time against our run.

Yeah it really is a combination of all of those things. Hard to point to any individual problem with it. Could probably argue we ran the ball much better than we probably should have at the start.

(12-04-2017, 01:00 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 12:19 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Would it be possible to cut him this offseason prior to the $19 million extension kicking in and instead sign him to say a 2 year deal at less money per year that amounts to $19 million guaranteed but a lower total cap hit per year? Or would that be considered rigging the cap?

My stance has always been if we don't want him a fifth season, we would not give him one. When teams don't pick up the option, it usually means they don't want that player anymore. That was why we did not pick up Luke Joeckel's option. Now I know he did have torn knee ligaments, but that was the year after his option needed to be picked up, so it was clealry about his performance. In other words, the fact that we picked up Blake's option proves we don't want to cut him unless he is injured during the playoffs.
You misunderstood my question. I'm not trying to cut him to let him go. I'm effectively trying to restructure a $19 million guaranteed 1 year contract into say a 2 year contract with say $20-25 million guaranteed but spread over 2 years and possibly allowing Blake to get say $30 million over 2 years. 
It was a question to allow him to stay in Jax while easing up some cap room to afford any likely future QB draft pick and/or to have more wiggle room for free agency.
Sure, even if Blake is let go by the Jags he would only be signed by another team, but most likely to a back-up deal with less money likely with little to no guaranteed money.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 05:38 AM by UKJag.)

(12-03-2017, 09:11 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 08:00 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: One thing I noticed about BB5 that is different from  most the other young QBs in the league, is the fact he does not wear a play armband. He is smart enough to know what the play is when its called he doesn't have to look down at his arm to relay the play or know what it was called. it shows he is pretty bright and i think he knows what he does bad and has a very good job at fixing it. Some fans think he should never throw an interception every in his entire career to be good and that just inst realistic.His numbers would be alot better if he had A. Rob and A. Hurns in the games.

I can't believe anybody would judge a QB this way. Wearing plays on the left arm can help QBs call more than one play in the huddle, run a two-minute drill, or avoid miscommunication in very loud stadiums. Sometimes a QB wants to call a play he did not hear in his headset. The arm band can help him do that. And it is not just for young QBs. Older veterans also wear a play list, including Alex Smith and Drew Brees.

Every what?

Wow, patronising much? I'd love to know how the QB reading from an armband prevents miscommunication in loud stadiums. Whether the OC calls the full play name or the reference to the play on the armband the stadium is still loud and either can be misunderstood. The armband is worn because the QB in question needs the help to remember the plays nothing more!

I think you'll find 5 is capable of calling more than one play in the huddle without an armband, that's why you'll hear him say "KILL KILL" to change the play at the line. He's called two plays in the huddle and will run the first if he gets the look he wants and the second if not. 

I agree with JAGFAN88 that 5 has the intellegence to learn the play book and not have to have prompts on his arm.

(12-04-2017, 12:01 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 08:10 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Bortles also missing both his starting receivers.

(12-04-2017, 12:00 AM)Upper Wrote: The rest of the league is praying that we keep Bortles at the helm of an otherwise championship caliber boat as well.

Nonsense. Blake Bortles was not the main culprit for any of our seven losses this season.

It's a shame to see you back, and posts like this are why. You deride people's opinion by using words like nonsense, then follow that up by posting actual nonsense like us having seven losses this season.

Okay, my opinion changes by the week, but as of now, I can see us keeping Blake, drafting a QB, upgrading the offensive line, and getting our injured WRs back.

Then, hoping Blake continues to improve. He has improved this year. I think we can win with the Blake we saw yesterday.

(12-04-2017, 06:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Okay, my opinion changes by the week, but as of now, I can see us keeping Blake, drafting a QB, upgrading the offensive line, and getting our injured WRs back.  

Then, hoping Blake continues to improve.  He has improved this year.   I think we can win with the Blake we saw yesterday.
Jags will win the SB if the Blake from Indy plays the rest of the season.

"But, Blake is not from indy......?" - JW
Signature goes here.

(12-04-2017, 01:16 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 01:00 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: My stance has always been if we don't want him a fifth season, we would not give him one. When teams don't pick up the option, it usually means they don't want that player anymore. That was why we did not pick up Luke Joeckel's option. Now I know he did have torn knee ligaments, but that was the year after his option needed to be picked up, so it was clealry about his performance. In other words, the fact that we picked up Blake's option proves we don't want to cut him unless he is injured during the playoffs.
You misunderstood my question. I'm not trying to cut him to let him go. I'm effectively trying to restructure a $19 million guaranteed 1 year contract into say a 2 year contract with say $20-25 million guaranteed but spread over 2 years and possibly allowing Blake to get say $30 million over 2 years. 
It was a question to allow him to stay in Jax while easing up some cap room to afford any likely future QB draft pick and/or to have more wiggle room for free agency.
Sure, even if Blake is let go by the Jags he would only be signed by another team, but most likely to a back-up deal with less money likely with little to no guaranteed money.

Yes we can re-work his deal before that Option cap hit comes.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-04-2017, 12:16 AM)nate Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 07:52 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: How bout no.  He had a really good game.   Against three rookie corners/safetys

How about factoring in he played without his starting WR's to that same equation.......with his own 2 rookies. 

Geez.

And yet one out of three TD.  Were by such lower end rookies.   Ya can't compare a really good first rounder to an un drafted or late rounder.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(12-04-2017, 12:01 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:

(12-04-2017, 12:00 AM)Upper Wrote: The rest of the league is praying that we keep Bortles at the helm of an otherwise championship caliber boat as well.

7 losses? and you call yourself a Jags fan.

Blake would have single handily lost us the Chargers game had the defense not bailed him out. He was terrible against the Jets and Titans. He was useless against the Steelers. He threw an atrocious interception last week against the Cardinals. 

Good Blake shows up, Jags are almost unbeatable. Bad Blake shows up and the defense has to scored TDs for the team to win. The Jags won't be playing the Colts or any defense like that in the playoffs.

(12-04-2017, 12:46 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: The Clots secondary is horrible but there is no doubt he was dropping dimes down the field. It's not like our receivers were running around wide open all afternoon. Great touch on a lot of throws. The main thing is there was actually a pocket to throw from on most plays. He was also moving well.

That perfect placement on the sideline to Cole where he got nailed by Butler as soon as he caught the ball was beautiful.  That showed great touch by Blake and great vision/concentration by Cole.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I will never book something that has the equilavalent of Big Bang Theory as an avatar. I kid. 

My take let um fight for Blake.  Let um crawl and scratch for Blake.  But at end of the day.   We are in win now mode.  And if he tanks this year.   He is done. Like it or not.   

So chances are.  Blake IS NOT jags starter in 2018.  Have some Maury. And take that to bank and cash it.

#Gojags

(12-04-2017, 01:00 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: In other words, the fact that we picked up Blake's option proves we don't want to cut him unless he is injured during the playoffs.
Huh

Can anyone interpret this gibberish?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 09:57 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

(12-04-2017, 09:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 01:00 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: In other words, the fact that we picked up Blake's option proves we don't want to cut him unless he is injured during the playoffs.
Huh

Can anyone interpret this gibberish?

Absolutely not.  Cause that point is mute.  And makes zero sense.   Why would we cut a guy we have to pay?

If that was the case.  We would just trade him.  Teams like the browns take anything.

Or here is a crazy theory Blake for Eli. That coach looks like a dummy as well. Starting Geno over Eli? Blake has to be an upgrade to Geno right?

#Gojags