Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

Bortles played terrific yesterday. I really liked in the 4th qtr when the Jags were in FG range that BB threw the ball away and Rich Gannon said "that wasn't an okay play,, that was a GREAT play. Look at Hackett clapping and smiling at Blake for that play."
He was right. Bortles is much better with that stuff this year.

I also think it was REALLY telling how Simms, Esiason, Cowher were talking about his game yesterday. They all said that this was basically the first time they'd seen him play at that level regarding decision making and just taking what is there. That is ex-QBs, coaches, and many years of analysis saying that. They were FINALLY impressed with what they saw from him.

They all also said that if Blake can play like that, that the Jags are a super dangerous team with the special/elite defense the team has. If Blake doesn't falter with decision making, this team is gonna be a REAL tough out for anyone in the playoffs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-03-2017, 07:42 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Yeah only one INT at Arizona, and MULTIPLE drops on beautiful deep balls.

I keep seeing some version of this being tossed around - and it's mostly true - but that deep ball to Cole in Ariz was thrown back to the left hash and Cole had to turn back into the defender to attempt the catch. Had Blake thrown it toward the right hash it would have been an uncontested touchdown.  It wasn't an accurate throw - Cole made a good adjustment to get back to the ball but couldn't hold on. 

I'm excited about how well Blake has played this year on the whole. I hope he can keep it up.

Yesterday was the first time that I felt Blake looked like an NFL QB from a throwing perspective. His throws were crisp and accurate throughout the game and he just looked comfortable on the field. They started the game throwing the ball and Blake seems to play better when he can find his rhythm early in a game. It would be great to see this version of Blake show up against the Seahawks because I don't think we are going to beat them running the ball.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(12-04-2017, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 07:42 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Yeah only one INT at Arizona, and MULTIPLE drops on beautiful deep balls.

I keep seeing some version of this being tossed around - and it's mostly true - but that deep ball to Cole in Ariz was thrown back to the left hash and Cole had to turn back into the defender to attempt the catch. Had Blake thrown it toward the right hash it would have been an uncontested touchdown.  It wasn't an accurate throw - Cole made a good adjustment to get back to the ball but couldn't hold on. 

I'm excited about how well Blake has played this year on the whole. I hope he can keep it up.

There were two by Cole that game. The one you're talking about, but there was another that hit him right in the hands down the sideline I believe that he dropped as well. 

But yeah, this seems to be the Blake we all expected after 2015.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I am very aroused by Blake. He is hawt. Would husband.

^^ Someone has been clicking one too many of the forums advertisement banners!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(12-04-2017, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Nope. That was the claim of the announcers, but it was wrong. Had Blake thrown it to the right hash there was a safety in range. Admittedly he could have thrown it more to the right, but not nearly as far as the right hash.

Here's a stat for what it's worth: all four Jags losses have come when the first play from scrimmage by the Jags was a run. Blake isn't a great QB, but Hackett can't call plays based on expecting Bortles to screw up. He needs to trust him more at the beginning of the game, especially since the opposing teams are selling out to stop Fournette. He did that yesterday, and the offense had its best game.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-04-2017, 12:58 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I keep seeing some version of this being tossed around - and it's mostly true - but that deep ball to Cole in Ariz was thrown back to the left hash and Cole had to turn back into the defender to attempt the catch. Had Blake thrown it toward the right hash it would have been an uncontested touchdown.  It wasn't an accurate throw - Cole made a good adjustment to get back to the ball but couldn't hold on. 

Nope. That was the claim of the announcers, but it was wrong. Had Blake thrown it to the right hash there was a safety in range. Admittedly he could have thrown it more to the right, but not nearly as far as the right hash.

Incorrect. The safety was trailing the play by several strides - he could not have made a play on the ball had it been thrown between the hashmarks instead of at the left hash.  The safety wasn't far enough downfield. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 9L2oDkG.png]

Roasted. Tell him NYC.

Could it have been a better throw? Yes.

Should Cole have caught it? In my opinion yes. A ball hits a receiver in both hands and I expect him to catch it. And I counted three drops in that game that I thought he should have come down with.

I think the most surprising part of yesterday's game was the lack of drops. I don't remember either Cole or Lee having one.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Yeah as really think that Cole really needs to step up his game. Do not blame it all on Blake.
Ready for April Showers, Easter, Spring Fever!

The good thing is, we all get to see Blake in meaningful December and January games. His performance in the next 4+ games should give everyone a good indication of what we're getting and what the future might look like. The team should go heavy OL in the draft, IMO. It's one of the few weaknesses. A move TE and a development QB are needed also. Cole and Westbrook are getting valuable reps and should be part of the rotation in 2018 with ARob and Hurns. Maybe Shane Wynn can be their Bryan Walters type receiver.

QB in 2018 will either be BB5 or one of the big names - Cousins, Eli, Tyrod Taylor, Case Keenum, etc. I don't see TC going with a rookie at QB.

At the end of the day, if Bortles drops a pass in the WRs hands/chest/etc even if it's not placed as good as it could be, it should be caught. These guys are professionals.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-04-2017, 02:41 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: At the end of the day, if Bortles drops a pass in the WRs hands/chest/etc even if it's not placed as good as it could be, it should be caught. These guys are professionals.

Absolutely. 

But there's nothing wrong with wanting the QB to be more accurate.  Call me crazy - but I prefer giving those professional receivers a chance to make an uncontested catch over steering them into a defender with the football.

(12-04-2017, 02:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 02:41 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: At the end of the day, if Bortles drops a pass in the WRs hands/chest/etc even if it's not placed as good as it could be, it should be caught. These guys are professionals.

Absolutely. 

But there's nothing wrong with wanting the QB to be more accurate.  Call me crazy - but I prefer giving those professional receivers a chance to make an uncontested catch over steering them into a defender with the football.

Oh I do agree.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-04-2017, 02:07 PM)Rico Wrote: Could it have been a better throw?  Yes.

Should Cole have caught it?  In my opinion yes.  A ball hits a receiver in both hands and I expect him to catch it.  And I counted three drops in that game that I thought he should have come down with.

I think the most surprising part of yesterday's game was the lack of drops.   I don't remember either Cole or Lee having one.
Seriously? Look at the defender basically hanging on Coles back. That would have been an incredible catch it he indeed would have caught it.

I think yesterday was the best performance you could expect from Blake and the WRs. To expect that against teams in the playoffs would be expecting a lot.

Bortles has faced 5 of the top 10 pass defenses in the league. He has averaged 222 passing yards with 7 TDs and 3 ints.

Pitt #2. Bal #3. Cincinnati #5. LAC #6. LAR #9. Seattle is currently #14 and they're allowing 223 passing yards a game.

(12-04-2017, 02:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Absolutely. 

Hey I'm all for WRs catching passes but I really don't want them getting concussed because the ball placement puts them at risk of highlight reel hits.  At the end of the day Bortles is one durable guy and is playing better so that works for me.  I want the guy to play better and I wonder if he can.  Good thing is we get to find out in meaningful games. 

Watching the Seahawks play last night against the Eagles all I could think was how quick both teams move up and down the field.  Seahawks surprised me.  Going to be a battle.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-04-2017, 02:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 02:07 PM)Rico Wrote: Could it have been a better throw?  Yes.

Should Cole have caught it?  In my opinion yes.  A ball hits a receiver in both hands and I expect him to catch it.  And I counted three drops in that game that I thought he should have come down with.

I think the most surprising part of yesterday's game was the lack of drops.   I don't remember either Cole or Lee having one.
Seriously? Look at the defender basically hanging on Coles back. That would have been an incredible catch it he indeed would have caught it.

I think yesterday was the best performance you could expect from Blake and the WRs. To expect that against teams in the playoffs would be expecting a lot.

Yes, seriously.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-04-2017, 01:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 12:58 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Nope. That was the claim of the announcers, but it was wrong. Had Blake thrown it to the right hash there was a safety in range. Admittedly he could have thrown it more to the right, but not nearly as far as the right hash.

Incorrect. The safety was trailing the play by several strides - he could not have made a play on the ball had it been thrown between the hashmarks instead of at the left hash.  The safety wasn't far enough downfield. 

Ah, my mistake. I saw the ref and thought he was a deep safety.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"