Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We should re-sign Poz

(12-05-2017, 04:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: There is no Poz-Island without Poz

There..... There's a Poz-Island?
Can I get there by boat?
Signature goes here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2017, 04:29 PM)jagherd Wrote: He has a chance to be a part of an "all-time" defense over a 2-3 year span. You know, one of those defensive units that gets talked about long after their prime days (Seahawks a few years ago,,, early 2000's Bucs,, Ravens,, Broncos,, etc..).

The Jags D looks to be one of those. Heck, they may be even better the next couple years.

Poz will want, and very much deserves to be part of it.
I think he stays, and I'll be glad. He's one of my favorite players in the entire league. He's still solid.

Absolutely, if there is one player on this team that deserves to enjoy some success it's Poz.  That guy played on some truly horrible teams in some awful seasons but he played hard and 100% every snap. He is all heart and for me is the exact prototype of what a Linebacker should be.

I would love to see Poz retire in Teal. The guy is a freakin machine. I think he has at LEAST 2 more years playing at his current level, barring an injury to his lower body....of course.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

But Alfie says he stinks.

I think it will come down to re-signing either Poz or Colvin. I think Poz will be in the 4 million per year range and Colvin in the 5-6 million per year range. I think Poz is a little more valuable to this team. It'll be easier to find a nickel corner than a high end starting linebacker to play as a backup. I get the impression that Poz hasn't been too happy about his lack of playing, but is too classy to say anything. We will see how much he wants to be a part of this turnaround in the offseason.

(12-06-2017, 12:52 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: I think it will come down to re-signing either Poz or Colvin.  I think Poz will be in the 4 million per year range and Colvin in the 5-6 million per year range.  I think Poz is a little more valuable to this team.  It'll be easier to find a nickel corner than a high end starting linebacker to play as a backup.  I get the impression that Poz hasn't been too happy about his lack of playing, but is too classy to say anything.  We will see how much he wants to be a part of this turnaround in the offseason.

Colvin gets 8 to 10 mil per and Poz 8mil 2 years. Colvins situation resembles Davon House a few years ago .
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-06-2017, 12:52 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: I think it will come down to re-signing either Poz or Colvin.  I think Poz will be in the 4 million per year range and Colvin in the 5-6 million per year range.  I think Poz is a little more valuable to this team.  It'll be easier to find a nickel corner than a high end starting linebacker to play as a backup.  I get the impression that Poz hasn't been too happy about his lack of playing, but is too classy to say anything.  We will see how much he wants to be a part of this turnaround in the offseason.

No way Poz gets 4 million. Its much easier to find a linebacker than it is a good nickel corner. Colvin will get around 7/8 if he re-signs here. Poz would get around 2 million max.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 02:25 AM by FreeAgent01.)

(12-06-2017, 01:00 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:

Colvin gets 8 to 10 mil per and Poz 8mil 2 years. Colvins situation resembles Davon House a few years ago .

8 -10 million puts Colvin in the high end starting cornerback market. I doubt he'll make Chris Harris, Jimmy Smith, Joe Haden money. I'd put him more in the range of players like Brandon Carr, Buster Skrine, and Jeremy Lane, especially with his injury and PED suspension history.

Also, House got 6 million per year to be our top corner and most thought he was overpaid.

(12-06-2017, 01:19 AM)JackCity Wrote:

No way Poz gets 4 million. Its much easier to find a linebacker than it is a good nickel corner. Colvin will get around 7/8 if he re-signs here. Poz would get around 2 million max.

Two million max for Poz? You're crazy. He is going to be close to the lowest paid veteran linebacker in the entire NFL? Manti Teo got a bigger contract than that. Poz has his issues and is getting older, but when he plays he is still not just an above average starting linebacker, but a good one. A 2 million per year contract would actually be insulting.

(12-06-2017, 02:13 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:00 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Colvin gets 8 to 10 mil per and Poz 8mil 2 years. Colvins situation resembles Davon House a few years ago .

8 -10 million puts Colvin in the high end starting cornerback market.  I doubt he'll make Chris Harris, Jimmy Smith, Joe Haden money.  I'd put him more in the range of players like Brandon Carr, Buster Skrine, and Jeremy Lane, especially with his injury and PED suspension history.

Also, House got 6 million per year to be our top corner and most thought he was overpaid.

No... look again.

$8 to 10 mil is just about right for Colvin as top flight nickel back. The "high end starting CB market" this offseason is going to be more like $12 to $14 mil with top guys possibly making $20 mil per. I've been thinking we should offer Colvin $9 mil per and then start praying it's enough... although someone else still probably pays him more.

As for House... he's a backup caliber player who really shouldn't be starting in this league.
'02

(12-06-2017, 02:21 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:19 AM)JackCity Wrote: No way Poz gets 4 million. Its much easier to find a linebacker than it is a good nickel corner. Colvin will get around 7/8 if he re-signs here. Poz would get around 2 million max.

Two million max for Poz?  You're crazy.  He is going to be close to the lowest paid veteran linebacker in the entire NFL?  Manti Teo got a bigger contract than that.  Poz has his issues and is getting older, but when he plays he is still not just an above average starting linebacker, but a good one.  A 2 million per year contract would actually be insulting.

Agreed.

Keep in mind that Poz has been taking home a $4 mil base salary over the past few years, and his cap hit this year is $6 mil. Maybe he agrees to return under a lower contract, but another team might easily offer him as much or more. Poz is a quality free agent starter with teams such as the Packers almost desperate for a MLB.
'02

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 08:49 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-06-2017, 01:19 AM)JackCity Wrote:

Poz is gonna make more and he is worth more than 2 mil a year here or if he goes else where.

Pozis still an elite LB when he's not in man coverage

(12-06-2017, 05:00 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 02:13 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: 8 -10 million puts Colvin in the high end starting cornerback market.  I doubt he'll make Chris Harris, Jimmy Smith, Joe Haden money.  I'd put him more in the range of players like Brandon Carr, Buster Skrine, and Jeremy Lane, especially with his injury and PED suspension history.

No... look again.

$8 to 10 mil is just about right for Colvin as top flight nickel back. The "high end starting CB market" this offseason is going to be more like $12 to $14 mil with top guys possibly making $20 mil per. I've been thinking we should offer Colvin $9 mil per and then start praying it's enough... although someone else still probably pays him more.

As for House... he's a backup caliber player who really shouldn't be starting in this league.

Not sure where you think any CB is going to get $20mil. We just signed the top available CB last year for $13.5 average.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-06-2017, 02:13 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:00 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Colvin gets 8 to 10 mil per and Poz 8mil 2 years. Colvins situation resembles Davon House a few years ago .

8 -10 million puts Colvin in the high end starting cornerback market.  I doubt he'll make Chris Harris, Jimmy Smith, Joe Haden money.  I'd put him more in the range of players like Brandon Carr, Buster Skrine, and Jeremy Lane, especially with his injury and PED suspension history.

I was comparing the situation to House in that our third string CB like the Packers will get overpaid in Free Agency. Yes, House got 6mil per but it's two years later and Colvin has been better than House in every aspect of the game, hence the 8 to 10mil per. I don't think we should re-sign him though, maybe use a draft pick to replace him or replace him with a CB that's already on the roster.

(12-06-2017, 05:00 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 02:13 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: 8 -10 million puts Colvin in the high end starting cornerback market.  I doubt he'll make Chris Harris, Jimmy Smith, Joe Haden money.  I'd put him more in the range of players like Brandon Carr, Buster Skrine, and Jeremy Lane, especially with his injury and PED suspension history.

No... look again.

$8-10 million is nowhere near right for a nickel corner. There is only 1, maybe 2 contracts in the NFL where a nickel corner was paid more than $5 million per year to play nickel and they are both currently starting. Buster Skrine has been the highest paid nickel corner at a little over 6 million. Could Colvin see $8 million? Maybe if a bidding war were to happen, but $9 million per year and up is for the top 15 cornerbacks in the NFL. I don't see anyone viewing Colvin as one of the best corners in the league, especially with injury and PED suspension history. $5-6 million is very fair.

No cornerback will sniff $20 million next year. The richest cornerback contract ever given was $15 million. Do you really think anyone in the league could command a 33% pay increase over the next highest paid player at their position, let alone Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler, and Vontae Davis?

(12-06-2017, 12:54 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:

I was comparing the situation to House in that our third string CB like the Packers will get overpaid in Free Agency. Yes, House got 6mil per but it's two years later and Colvin has been better than House in every aspect of the game, hence the 8 to 10mil per. I don't think we should re-sign him though, maybe use a draft pick to replace him or replace him with a CB that's already on the roster.

House was paid to be our #1 CB on the depth chart and the entire league and this fan base laughed that he was wildly overpaid the instant the ink hit the paper. If some team like the 49ers with tons of cap space and no players signs him to be their top corner, then he maybe might sniff $8 million, but as a nickel $5-6 million is the most a corner is going to get.

(12-06-2017, 01:20 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:54 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I was comparing the situation to House in that our third string CB like the Packers will get overpaid in Free Agency. Yes, House got 6mil per but it's two years later and Colvin has been better than House in every aspect of the game, hence the 8 to 10mil per. I don't think we should re-sign him though, maybe use a draft pick to replace him or replace him with a CB that's already on the roster.

House was paid to be our #1 CB on the depth chart and the entire league and this fan base laughed that he was wildly overpaid the instant the ink hit the paper.   If some team like the 49ers with tons of cap space and no players signs him to be their top corner, then he maybe might sniff $8 million, but as a nickel $5-6 million is the most a corner is going to get.

He will be signed to be a #1 and get overpaid accordingly. I don't see what's so hard to grasp here.

(12-06-2017, 01:27 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:20 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: House was paid to be our #1 CB on the depth chart and the entire league and this fan base laughed that he was wildly overpaid the instant the ink hit the paper.   If some team like the 49ers with tons of cap space and no players signs him to be their top corner, then he maybe might sniff $8 million, but as a nickel $5-6 million is the most a corner is going to get.

He will be signed to be a #1 and get overpaid accordingly. I don't see what's so hard to grasp here.

If that's what you say. A guy who has missed 27% of his games through injuries and suspensions, has 0 career interceptions, and is 1 PED test away from a 10 game suspension. I can see teams lining up to give him one of the richest CB contracts in the NFL and move him from nickel to covering Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and Odell Beckham.

(12-06-2017, 01:38 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:27 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: He will be signed to be a #1 and get overpaid accordingly. I don't see what's so hard to grasp here.

If that's what you say.  A guy who has missed 27% of his games through injuries and suspensions, has 0 career interceptions, and is 1 PED test away from a 10 game suspension.  I can see teams lining up to give him one of the richest CB contracts in the NFL and move him from nickel to covering Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and Odell Beckham.

The Jags did just this, minus the one ped test that I was unaware of when I replied previously.